Earl Of Brixom - Short's Brewing Company

Earl Of BrixomEarl Of Brixom

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

English Dark Mild Ale |  3.90% ABV

(Beer added by: atone315 on 10-09-2013)
Reviews by Dave_in_GR:

beergorrilla

02-01-2014 12:22:41 | More by beergorrilla
Flopjack

Bottle into tulip

Appearance - Black with a slight glow of amber when held up to light, 1/2 finger white head.

Smell - Heavy roasted character. Spent coffee grounds, chocolate, caramelized maltiness.

Taste - Again, starts with spent coffee grounds or what might be described as a char like flavor, also barley, then moves into a watered down bitterness that reminds me of dark chocolate, and finally the end brings about a character much along the lines of a medium/dark roast coffee.

Mouthfeel - Thin, heavy carbonation, crisp.

Overall - Not bad. Being considered a mild ale I see why it is thin and some what watered down feeling. Flavor profile and taste are much along the lines of a stout which I like. Rather drink a more full beer but glad that I tried it.

02-28-2014 19:29:25 | More by Flopjack

Syracuse12

02-28-2014 01:23:59 | More by Syracuse12
StoutHunter

3.58/5  rDev +1.4%

I picked up a bottle of Shorts Earl Of Brixom a few days ago in their new variety pack for 18.99 at The Lager Mill. I had a pint of this beer when I visited the Short's Pub last year and I thought it was a pretty decent example of the style and I'm interested to see how the bottled version is, so lets see how it goes. No Visible bottling date, but I know it's fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's a little weird looking and the guy on the label reminds of Dwight Shrute from the Office, it's a little eye catching. It poured a slightly reddish dark brown color that took on a crimson hue when held to the light with two fingers worth off light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts showing up first and they impart some toasted, grainy, slightly roasted, brown bread, light caramel and a nice chocolate aroma that along with the roasted malt aromas stick out the most. Up next comes a light nutty aroma with a little bit of doughy yeast in the background and there's a slight earthy aroma towards the end. This beer has a nice aroma, it's a little more roasted than I would expect from the style, but I like it.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness followed by the malts still being the first to show up and they impart all those malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the roasted malts seeming to stick out the most, but there's also a little watery flavor to it. Up next comes a nice nutty aspect that seems to show up a little more than it did in the aroma and there a little bit of doughy yeast in the background. On the finish there's a light earthy flavor with hardly any bitterness at all on the finish with a nutty, grainy, and roasted malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, it's pretty much what I would expect from the style.

M- Very smooth, clean, a little crisp, a little dry, slightly watery, on the slightly thicker side of being light bodied with a slightly lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer and it was true to style.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and a nice example of a English Dark Mild Ale, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style with all that great drinkability that I always look for in the style. I like Motor City's Ghettoblaster a little more, but I still thought this was a nice beer. This beer had very good drinkability, it was really smooth, clean, slightly crisp, not filling at all and it had just enough flavor to hold my attention, I could drink a six pack of this stuff, it's very drinkable and I think it would be a pretty nice beer to pair with a meal. What I liked the most about beer was the drinkability, they fit a good amount of flavor in a small 3.9% beer. What I liked the least about this beer was that it was slightly watery, but I think that's to be expected from a 3.9% beer. I would buy this beer again, and I also would buy a six pack of it if they ever decided to release it on it's own. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or easy drinking sessionable beers in general. All in all I thought this was a pretty solid beer, there's was nothing crazy or unusual about this beer, It's just a solid English Dark Mild Ale and I'm glad Short's decided to include this in their new variety pack. Nice job guys, thinks for mixing it up with a style that just don't seem to be that popular in the age of hoppy and barrel aged beers, these milder beers still have a place in my hear and I'm glad Short's doesn't forget about them, keep up the great work.

01-31-2014 23:23:37 | More by StoutHunter