White Falcon - Short's Brewing Company

White FalconWhite Falcon

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Belgian IPA |  5.30% ABV

(Beer added by: StoutHunter on 10-18-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

km02600, Oct 16, 2014

Supergenious, Oct 13, 2014
3.76/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a clear gold with a large two-finger foamy white head. The head dissapates quickly leaving some spoty soapy lacing.

S - Aromas of Belgian yeast, sweet malts, and citrusy hops.

T - Flavor starts with a strong flavor of Belgian yeast and a medium malt sweetness. Piney hops show mid palate along with some citrus flavors. The finish has a lingering hop bitterness.

M - Light bodied with medium carbonation. Very crisp mouthfeel with a dry sticky finish.

O - Decent offering from Short's. This isn't going to blow anyone away, but it's still ancient refreshing take on the style.

TreyIsWilson, Oct 12, 2014

goast8127, Oct 07, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +21%

HopHeadHerman, Oct 05, 2014
3.63/5  rDev -2.4%

I picked up a bottle of Short's White Falcon last week for $1.99 at The Lager Mill. I had this beer on tap last year and I remember thinking it was pretty nice and I'm interested to see how the bottled version is, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into Short's Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's a nice take on the name and i think it's eye catching. It poured a hazy bright yellow color that took on a golden hue when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky rings of lacing behind. This was a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the belgian yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a nice banana aroma with just a little bit of bubble gum and a even lighter amount of spices coming through. Up next comes the hops which impart a nice fruity hop aroma with some orange juice and citrus rind aromas coming through that have a nice juicy aspect to them and work well with the Belgian yeast. Towards the end I get a light bready and sweet malt like aroma. This beer had a good aroma

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the belgian yeast still being the first to show up, but it's lighter this time and no single aspect seems to stand out the most. Up next comes a slight bit of those malts that I got in the aroma and they got straight into the hops which seem to stick out the most in this beer and they impart some nice fruity flavor with orange juice and citrus rinds still sticking out the most. On the finish there's a lower amount of high bitterness that lingers a little and it had a very hoppy aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the bitterness was toned down just a little.

M- Not the smoothest, crisp, slightly watery, very dry on the finish, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel but I wish it was smoother and not slightly watery.

Overall I thought this was a pretty nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of the style, but it didn't seem to be the most balanced when it came to the taste and it was the hops that just dominated it. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was not the smoothest, crisp, slightly watery, very dry on the finish, not too filling and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, but the high amount of bitterness would hold me back from drinking more than one. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance and aroma, they were both good and to me they were the highlights of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, mouthfeel and drinkability, all three aspects could use a little work to get this beer to be a pretty good example of the style. I would buy this beer again if they release it next year, but it's nothing that I'm going to search out. I recommend giving this a try if IPA's with high bitterness are your thing. All in all I was just slightly disappointed with this beer since it didn't turn out to be as good as I remember, it was still a nice beer, but I found it to be a little rough around the edges. It isn't my favorite of the style or my favorite Short's beer, but it isn't the worst either, it's kind of in the middle. I liked this beer, but I think with just a little work it could be a pretty nice beer, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 05, 2014

3.9/5  rDev +4.8%

I_BYE_MI_BEER, Oct 04, 2014

BlueAndBrew, Oct 03, 2014
3.5/5  rDev -5.9%

Pours a golden yellow with an amazing amount of carbonation. Made me immediately think of a tripel. Has the smell of one, too, except for tones of citrus underneath. Very pleasant aroma, and keeps it through finishing the goblet. Little to no head, and slight retention.
Tastes like a witbier, with just a bit of hop bite at the back of the throat. Very pleasant.
Not something that I would go out and search for, but definitely not anything I would turn down.

Tripel_Threat, Oct 03, 2014