Short's Black Diamond - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Black DiamondShort's Black Diamond

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Schwarzbier |  ABV ?

The new Schwartzbier brew, which translates into a German-style black lager, will be called “Black Diamond”— giving it a nod to winter and skiing. Visually, black lagers can be deceiving, featuring an opaque, black color and a full, chocolatey flavor similar to stout or porter. But unlike its dark cousins, Schwartzbier features a bottom fermenting lager yeast, which produces a medium-bodied brew with a smooth finish that will be worth savoring.

Originally brewed for Shanty Creek's 50th Anniversary.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 11-01-2013)
Reviews by lochef81:
3.51/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first experience with this style of beer and I must be honest, I'm not sure what to make of it. It pours a very dark opaque black with a tan head that quickly disappears to nothing. It leaves virtually no lacing and little to no legs. The nose is roasty with coffee and dark chocolate but lightly scented. The flavor is slightly sweet with a good amount of coffee and chocolate but also a little hops. It is very light on the palate. Im not totally sure how to judge this one. I enjoy it but at the same time don't. Can't wait to try other beers of this style so I can get a better idea of what it's going for.

3.73/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is essentially jet black in color—slight traces of brownish red are visible near the edge of the glass when it is held up to a bright light. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that died down, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of dark and chocolaty malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has flavors of dark and chocolate malts. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to taste like a hybrid between a schwarzbier and a porter.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%

4.29/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I got a bottle of Short's Black Diamond in the new Short's Variety pack that I picked up last week for $18.99 at Meijers. Short's already makes a really good Schwarzbier and I'm interested to see how this one compares, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it should be fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I've skied at many places in Michigan, but I have yet to ski at the place this beer is made for, Shanty Creek, but it looks good and it appeals to the skier in me. It poured a nice black color that didn't really let any light come through with two and half fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a good amount of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good look Schwarzbier, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses like aroma to it and it was followed by loads of dark roasted malts that impart a roasty, slightly charred, slight smokey, coffee and chocolate like aroma with neither aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a grainy malt aroma with a little more sweet malts at the end. This beer had a very nice aroma, it was well balanced and true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of dark roasted malts that impart all those roasty aspects that I got in the aroma with the roasted, coffee, and chocolate flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a light smokey and charred flavor with some grainy flavors and a slightly higher amount of low bitterness with a roasted malt and grainy aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer that delivered just what I want from the style.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was really good and it was very true to style.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of the style, I still think I like Sustenance Black Bier a little more, but this beer was pretty close to being as good and it reminded me a little of their Uncle Steve's Irish Stout. It had everything that I look for in the style with some great balance. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, clean, not too filling and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink lots of this stuff without getting bored with it, it's very sessionable. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was and how drinkable it was, those two things really made this beer stand out as a well made Schwarzbier. What I liked the least about this beer is that it's not available on it's own, this would be a great seasonal beer to release in six packs at the start of ski season. I would for sure buy this beer again, I'll try to stock up before it's all gone and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the style or dark beers in general. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I already knew Short's had some skills when it came to this style and they didn't disappoint. Great job guys, thanks for another impressive Short's brew and keep up the good work.

3.25/5  rDev -12.6%