Short's Black Diamond - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Black DiamondShort's Black Diamond

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Schwarzbier |  ABV ?

The new Schwartzbier brew, which translates into a German-style black lager, will be called “Black Diamond”— giving it a nod to winter and skiing. Visually, black lagers can be deceiving, featuring an opaque, black color and a full, chocolatey flavor similar to stout or porter. But unlike its dark cousins, Schwartzbier features a bottom fermenting lager yeast, which produces a medium-bodied brew with a smooth finish that will be worth savoring.

Originally brewed for Shanty Creek's 50th Anniversary.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 11-01-2013)

BrewtalHonesty, Nov 17, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +21%

Motozappa, Sep 01, 2014
4.5/5  rDev +21%

Boverhof3, Nov 15, 2013
4.41/5  rDev +18.5%

This pours a midnight black-blueish/purple port tinged color with an impressive cap of creamy cocoa colored foam.

I first notice a coffee note in the aroma that soon dominates, with a light roast in the flavor.

It's creamy and crisp, with a touch of herbal hops. A hint of green sticky dankness contrasts with the roast and finishes on the dry side. Short’s beers are always so inventive and so tasty.

I honestly had no idea what to expect when I opened this brew other than the Shorts name. Glad I picked it up.

elNopalero, Feb 06, 2014
4.29/5  rDev +15.3%

I got a bottle of Short's Black Diamond in the new Short's Variety pack that I picked up last week for $18.99 at Meijers. Short's already makes a really good Schwarzbier and I'm interested to see how this one compares, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so it should be fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks pretty nice, I've skied at many places in Michigan, but I have yet to ski at the place this beer is made for, Shanty Creek, but it looks good and it appeals to the skier in me. It poured a nice black color that didn't really let any light come through with two and half fingers worth of light mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left a good amount of sticky lacing behind. This is a very good look Schwarzbier, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness that had a slight molasses like aroma to it and it was followed by loads of dark roasted malts that impart a roasty, slightly charred, slight smokey, coffee and chocolate like aroma with neither aspect seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a grainy malt aroma with a little more sweet malts at the end. This beer had a very nice aroma, it was well balanced and true to style.

T- The taste seems to be pretty similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by loads of dark roasted malts that impart all those roasty aspects that I got in the aroma with the roasted, coffee, and chocolate flavors seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes a light smokey and charred flavor with some grainy flavors and a slightly higher amount of low bitterness with a roasted malt and grainy aftertaste. This is a very nice tasting beer that delivered just what I want from the style.

M- Smooth, crisp, clean, slightly creamy, on the light side of being medium bodied with a good amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was really good and it was very true to style.

Overall I really liked this beer and I thought it was a great example of the style, I still think I like Sustenance Black Bier a little more, but this beer was pretty close to being as good and it reminded me a little of their Uncle Steve's Irish Stout. It had everything that I look for in the style with some great balance. This beer had great drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, clean, not too filling and the taste did a great job at holding my attention, I could drink lots of this stuff without getting bored with it, it's very sessionable. What I liked the most about this beer was how true to style it was and how drinkable it was, those two things really made this beer stand out as a well made Schwarzbier. What I liked the least about this beer is that it's not available on it's own, this would be a great seasonal beer to release in six packs at the start of ski season. I would for sure buy this beer again, I'll try to stock up before it's all gone and I would recommend this to anyone who enjoys the style or dark beers in general. All in all I was pretty impressed with this beer, I already knew Short's had some skills when it came to this style and they didn't disappoint. Great job guys, thanks for another impressive Short's brew and keep up the good work.

StoutHunter, Nov 14, 2013

jamesod, Nov 05, 2013

MacStinson, Mar 24, 2014

MichiganBrews, Nov 13, 2013

Lukafer, Jan 13, 2014
4.06/5  rDev +9.1%

Nice surprise in the variety pack. Thought they were only serving it at the ski-hill

A: Very thin pour, almost immediately what you'd except from a lager. Poured into a snifter (i know weird) that left little head on top.

S: Heavy on the smokey, roasted flavors of fall. Very crisp and dry notes off coffee and chocolate.

T: Surprising character from what you'd find in a somewhat under-appreciated category. Huge upfront blast of chocolate, caramel, and toffee mixed with subtle burnt oak undertones.

M: For a lager, it had quite a thicker mouthfeel. More reminiscent of a black IPA without much hop presence. Very smooth and very easy to drink and leaves very little on the pallet.

O: Very good offering from Short's

kylelenk, Nov 12, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +8.3%

Part of a mix-a-six for $10. Poured into a good ol' shaker pint. Bottled 11/05/13. My first schwarzbier, that I know of.

Appearance: Pretty much just pitch black. A soapy little head floats on top, but doesn't last long. Lacing's here-and-there... nothing really special, but looks alright.

Smell: Think of an old man with chronic halitosis who just took a sip of coffee and did that "Ahhhh!!" right in your face. It seriously smells almost exactly like that. I should rate this beer a 1 on aroma because of that, but for some reason, I won't. Okay, I'm exaggerating. I got that smell on my first whiff, but now it's just a roasty coffee and chocolate and ... molasses? sort of aroma on it. A bit of charcoal and alcohol there too, but not much. Interesting.

Taste: Coffee and roast all the way. A lot of char/charcoal. I also get a significant sort of nuttiness in the back of my mouth on the finish, which I wasn't expecting. It's really kind of strong for me. A sort of pecan note or something. Really no chocolate in the flavor. No alcohol in the taste or feel. Aftertaste is a huge amount of roasted malt, leaving almost a burnt but not bitter flavor along with that nuttiness. Reading that this is a lager, it sort of drinks like one. Medium sort of carbonation, and a relatively thin mouthfeel with the heavy burnt nut sort of flavor make this feel and taste different than, say, a porter.

Gotta be honest, impressed. I like the depth of flavor on this beer. I had no idea this was being bottle released this year, but saw it in my bottle shop and decided to give it a shot... so incredibly glad I did. It's reminiscent of a porter, but adds more smoke/char to the flavor, and there's that great sort of nutty aftertaste. Wish I had purchased more.

Alextricity, Dec 08, 2013

marcb105, Nov 09, 2013

ssimpson89, Dec 02, 2013

Sparty55, Nov 10, 2013

jmich24, Dec 07, 2013

12 ounce bottle into lager glass, bottled on 10/3/2013. Pours nearly opaque dark brown color with a small dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Light spotty lacing clings down the glass, with some moderate streaming carbonation retaining the cap. Aromas of dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, toast, dark bread, light char, light pear/apple, and yeast earthiness. Damn nice aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt notes with light-moderate yeast ester presence; with good strength. Taste of big dark chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, toast, dark bread, light char, light pear/apple, and yeast earthiness. Slight roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, roasted malt, coffee, light char, toast, dark bread, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Damn nice balance, robustness, and complexity of dark/roasted malt flavors with light-moderate yeast esters; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and moderately chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a damn nice schwarzbier! All around nice robustness, balance, and complexity of flavors; and very smooth to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

superspak, Nov 21, 2013