Short's Black Diamond - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Black DiamondShort's Black Diamond

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Schwarzbier |  ABV ?

The new Schwartzbier brew, which translates into a German-style black lager, will be called “Black Diamond”— giving it a nod to winter and skiing. Visually, black lagers can be deceiving, featuring an opaque, black color and a full, chocolatey flavor similar to stout or porter. But unlike its dark cousins, Schwartzbier features a bottom fermenting lager yeast, which produces a medium-bodied brew with a smooth finish that will be worth savoring.

Originally brewed for Shanty Creek's 50th Anniversary.

(Beer added by: TheBrewo on 11-01-2013)
3.51/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is my first experience with this style of beer and I must be honest, I'm not sure what to make of it. It pours a very dark opaque black with a tan head that quickly disappears to nothing. It leaves virtually no lacing and little to no legs. The nose is roasty with coffee and dark chocolate but lightly scented. The flavor is slightly sweet with a good amount of coffee and chocolate but also a little hops. It is very light on the palate. Im not totally sure how to judge this one. I enjoy it but at the same time don't. Can't wait to try other beers of this style so I can get a better idea of what it's going for.

lochef81, Feb 07, 2014
4.41/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This pours a midnight black-blueish/purple port tinged color with an impressive cap of creamy cocoa colored foam.

I first notice a coffee note in the aroma that soon dominates, with a light roast in the flavor.

It's creamy and crisp, with a touch of herbal hops. A hint of green sticky dankness contrasts with the roast and finishes on the dry side. Short’s beers are always so inventive and so tasty.

I honestly had no idea what to expect when I opened this brew other than the Shorts name. Glad I picked it up.

elNopalero, Feb 06, 2014

MichiganderHB, Jan 26, 2014
3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A - Pours a motor oil black with a very thin off white head. Nice amount of lacing.

S - Roasted malts with a light amount of dark chocolate.

T - Taste is like the smell, dark roasted malts with a hint of dark chocolate. I also get a caramel like sweetness in the finish.

M - Meium bodied with medium carbonation. Watery mouthfeel. Very easy drinking.

O - Not bad by any means. Reminded me more of a watery black IPA. Would make a nice winter session beer.

TreyIsWilson, Jan 25, 2014

aaronblain22, Jan 05, 2014

HopHeadHerman, Dec 30, 2013
3.73/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A: The beer is essentially jet black in color—slight traces of brownish red are visible near the edge of the glass when it is held up to a bright light. It poured with a quarter finger high tan head that died down, leaving a collar around the edge of the glass.
S: Light to moderate aromas of dark and chocolaty malts are present in the nose.
T: The taste mostly follows the smell and has flavors of dark and chocolate malts. No bitterness is perceptible.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied and smooth on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This beer seems to taste like a hybrid between a schwarzbier and a porter.

metter98, Dec 29, 2013

Soneast, Dec 21, 2013

Sammy, Dec 11, 2013

I_BYE_MI_BEER, Dec 10, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Part of a mix-a-six for $10. Poured into a good ol' shaker pint. Bottled 11/05/13. My first schwarzbier, that I know of.

Appearance: Pretty much just pitch black. A soapy little head floats on top, but doesn't last long. Lacing's here-and-there... nothing really special, but looks alright.

Smell: Think of an old man with chronic halitosis who just took a sip of coffee and did that "Ahhhh!!" right in your face. It seriously smells almost exactly like that. I should rate this beer a 1 on aroma because of that, but for some reason, I won't. Okay, I'm exaggerating. I got that smell on my first whiff, but now it's just a roasty coffee and chocolate and ... molasses? sort of aroma on it. A bit of charcoal and alcohol there too, but not much. Interesting.

Taste: Coffee and roast all the way. A lot of char/charcoal. I also get a significant sort of nuttiness in the back of my mouth on the finish, which I wasn't expecting. It's really kind of strong for me. A sort of pecan note or something. Really no chocolate in the flavor. No alcohol in the taste or feel. Aftertaste is a huge amount of roasted malt, leaving almost a burnt but not bitter flavor along with that nuttiness. Reading that this is a lager, it sort of drinks like one. Medium sort of carbonation, and a relatively thin mouthfeel with the heavy burnt nut sort of flavor make this feel and taste different than, say, a porter.

Gotta be honest, impressed. I like the depth of flavor on this beer. I had no idea this was being bottle released this year, but saw it in my bottle shop and decided to give it a shot... so incredibly glad I did. It's reminiscent of a porter, but adds more smoke/char to the flavor, and there's that great sort of nutty aftertaste. Wish I had purchased more.

Alextricity, Dec 08, 2013