Black Chai - Short's Brewing Company

No picture.

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: Zaphog on 02-08-2014

Black Chai is a sumptuous black ale that immediately entices the senses with aromas of dark specialty malts, cardamon, nutmeg, and ginger. The brew has a delicious creamy mouthfeel. Chocolate and roasted malt characteristics resonate throughout this black ale. The finish is playfully spicy and bitter.
Reviews by StoutHunter:
3.32/5  rDev -4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I got a bottle of Short's Black Chai in their new winter variety pack. I've had this beer on tap a couple times and I thought it was just ok, but since it came in this years winter variety pack I thought I would give it another chance, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it goes well with the name, but I don't think it's too eye catching. It poured a nice black color that surprisingly didn't let any light come through and it had three fingers worth of bubbly mocha colored head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left lots of patchy lacing behind. This is a good looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice roasted malt aroma along with a slightly grainy, light coffee and light chocolate like aromas showing up in the background. Up next comes the Chai tea which pretty much dominates the aroma of this beer and it imparts a very strong Chai Tea aroma. The aroma was decent, but I thought it was a unbalanced and the Chai Tea is just too dominating.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the roasted malt still being the first to show up and they impart the same malty aspects that I got in the aroma with the roasted malts and chocolate seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the Chai Tea which shows up almost as much as it did in the aroma, it's still pretty dominating and it imparts the same strong Chai tea aspects that it did in the aroma. On the finish there's a pretty light amount of bitterness with a herbal and Chai tea like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I thought the Chai tea was too dominating.

M- Fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. This beer had a nice mouthfeel, but the heavy tea flavor prevents it from being as smooth as it could be.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was decent example of the style, but in the end it lacked the balance that I was hoping it would have and I thought the heavy Chai Tea flavors prevented some of the subtle flavors from coming through. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, not too filling, but the taste didn't do a great job at holding my attention and one would be enough for me since I have no urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it's one good looking beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, the Chai Tea was just too strong for me. I wouldn't buy this beer on it's own and I would only recommend it if you like chai tea flavors in beer. All in all I'm still not a big fan of this beer, it's the strong chai tea flavors that really hold this beer back for me and after having a few Chai tea flavored beers I've come to the conclusion that they just aren't for me and I'm just not a big fan of that flavor in a beer and i doesn't seem to matter what style it's used it. So far it's one of my least favorite Short's beers. This beer just isn't for me, better luck next time guys.

3.83/5  rDev +10.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle from the Winter Pack poured into a Sam Smith imperial pint glass.

A- A normal pour creates 1-1/2 fingers of dense brown head. The body is near black. The head settles to a light foam. Solid, wide rings persist on the glass.

S- Lots of roasted malt with some spicing. Not necessarily what I think of as a "chai" aroma at first. The roasted aroma borders on smokey. Spicing seems like cardamom, maybe a little clove later. I keep getting hints of raisin.

T- Much as the aroma suggests. There's a bunch of dark roasted grains up front. Somewhere between coffee and a hearty, whole grain bread. Spices come through the middle, mostly cinnamon-like. Nothing seems overdone.

M- Medium-full body. Slightly grainy/chalky with lighter carbonation. Kind of creamy.

O- My wife is a huge fan of chai tea and chai tea lattes. Based on my experience, I just don't get a ton of it from this beer. While it misses on the label, it's still a very solid beer. I could see drinking 2-3 in a sitting because the spice/tea is subtle enough.

Edit: I noticed the bottle date of 11/17/14. Maybe the age has mellowed the chai spices?

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

It has a sweet, chococalatey scent with some chai and roasted malt. It has a thick and creamy mouthfeel. It has a creamy chocalatey chai flavor with hints of cinnamon, nutmeg, and just a hint of coffee. Overall a decent black cream ale.

3.05/5  rDev -12.1%

This tastes like a dirty dark beer. Nothing to see here. The chai comes out for sure.

3.79/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.38/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

2.88/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.93/5  rDev +13.3%

2.77/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I like Chai tea, but this wasn't my favorite incorporation of both beer and chai.. I give Shorts credit for trying just about any combination... finished beer, but didn't want to consume a 2nd one.

3.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.34/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.26/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.71/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.1/5  rDev +18.2%

4.2/5  rDev +21%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I think it is a bit too carbonated for the style

3.42/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Black Chai from Short's Brewing Company