Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

ControversiALE - Short's Brewing Company

Beer added by: BakerBeer13 on 04-02-2014

Reviews by DrinkMoreBigBeers:
3.69/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this one up at local Meijer that just started carrying singles. No date on the bottle from short's yet (maybe someday).

A - Poured out clear burnt orange with a one finger off white head that died down relatively fast.

S - Bready, sweetness, rock candy, slight hop dankness, cracker, grassy. Not quit enough hop aroma in my opinion but it does have some nice qualities to it.

T - Bitterness with the same bready cracker taste, lemon, slight herbal hop, grassy, little orange. Not much for hops in this beer, it may not be very fresh.

M - Soft light body and goes down so well with a dry finish and a bitterness that builds on your palate. Really pleasant and I just keep wanting to take another sip.

O - I believe this bottle might not be fresh but I can not tell because Short's provides no date on the bottle. Pretty pleasant but I wish the hops were more present in here. A well made beer that is still pleasant and no sign of alcohol at all. Pick one up if you are a fan of the style and see if you can get a fresh one, cheers! (1,048 characters)

3.53/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3/5  rDev n/a

3.52/5  rDev n/a

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Says "FKA Hangin' Frank," which I think I've already had.

Appearance - Slight haze to a deep orange body. Small white head. Thin collar.

Smell - Grapefruit and pine hops. Toasty malt. Peanuts?

Taste - Bright grapefruit. And then peanuts. It's really odd, but I like it. Toasted malt finish with a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Strong bitterness. Medium body.

Overall - Fascinating. And not what I remember Hangin' Frank tasting likr. What the hell is that peanut taste? (513 characters)

4.5/5  rDev n/a

3.51/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

3.92/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

4.75/5  rDev n/a

4.21/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4/5  rDev n/a

Look - Like any good American IPA, amber/gold, mild lacing. Maybe a little more copper colored than I'm used to seeing in, say, a West Coast IPA.

Smell - Fruity, sweet fruity, reminds me of a Bubbalicious Fruit Punch. Also some piney notes.

Mouthfeel - Silky and smooth, mild carbonation.

Taste - More sweet and a much more balanced finish. I live in S.D. so I'm very much used to San Diego IPA and that aggressive bitter hop finish. The sweeter citrus and caramel front end almost reminds me of a more sessionable double IPA. I only pick up a hint taste of the Bubbalicious smell that I get on the nose.

Overall - Wonderful, and I already understand why Short's is beloved by many. I am from Mich., but didn't get into craft beer until moving to San Diego. Just drinking this makes me very proud of my home state! (818 characters)

4.33/5  rDev n/a

3.77/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

ControversiALE from Short's Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.