ControversiALE - Short's Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by thickgirth:
3.52/5  rDev -7.9%

12 oz. bottle poured into a snifter. Says "FKA Hangin' Frank," which I think I've already had.

Appearance - Slight haze to a deep orange body. Small white head. Thin collar.

Smell - Grapefruit and pine hops. Toasty malt. Peanuts?

Taste - Bright grapefruit. And then peanuts. It's really odd, but I like it. Toasted malt finish with a strong bitterness.

Mouthfeel - Strong bitterness. Medium body.

Overall - Fascinating. And not what I remember Hangin' Frank tasting likr. What the hell is that peanut taste?

Look - Like any good American IPA, amber/gold, mild lacing. Maybe a little more copper colored than I'm used to seeing in, say, a West Coast IPA.

Smell - Fruity, sweet fruity, reminds me of a Bubbalicious Fruit Punch. Also some piney notes.

Mouthfeel - Silky and smooth, mild carbonation.

Taste - More sweet and a much more balanced finish. I live in S.D. so I'm very much used to San Diego IPA and that aggressive bitter hop finish. The sweeter citrus and caramel front end almost reminds me of a more sessionable double IPA. I only pick up a hint taste of the Bubbalicious smell that I get on the nose.

Overall - Wonderful, and I already understand why Short's is beloved by many. I am from Mich., but didn't get into craft beer until moving to San Diego. Just drinking this makes me very proud of my home state!

3.69/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Picked this one up at local Meijer that just started carrying singles. No date on the bottle from short's yet (maybe someday).

A - Poured out clear burnt orange with a one finger off white head that died down relatively fast.

S - Bready, sweetness, rock candy, slight hop dankness, cracker, grassy. Not quit enough hop aroma in my opinion but it does have some nice qualities to it.

T - Bitterness with the same bready cracker taste, lemon, slight herbal hop, grassy, little orange. Not much for hops in this beer, it may not be very fresh.

M - Soft light body and goes down so well with a dry finish and a bitterness that builds on your palate. Really pleasant and I just keep wanting to take another sip.

O - I believe this bottle might not be fresh but I can not tell because Short's provides no date on the bottle. Pretty pleasant but I wish the hops were more present in here. A well made beer that is still pleasant and no sign of alcohol at all. Pick one up if you are a fan of the style and see if you can get a fresh one, cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Very nice orange body, mild hop aroma
Good bitter hop taste, tasty ipa

4.24/5  rDev +11%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A beautiful clean amber pour with 2 fingers of fluffy white head, slow dissipation leaving behind tons of thick lacing. Smells freshly hopped.. Citrus, grapefruit, pine, caramel malt. The flavor is bitter up front with an immediate grapefruit flavor and leads into the sweet malty backbone.. Finishes bitter again until the next sip. Medium in body with modest carbonation, this is a very satisfying drink. Perfectly balanced, easy to drink .. Bitter enough for hop heads, malty enough for everyone else.

to view more.