Microbrew Invitational

TICKETS: beeradvocate.com/micro/

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale

Short's Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

Reviews: 690 | Ratings: 2,087

I've been trying a lot of "okay" beers lately, so I'm pulling out the huma in the hopes I'll get something powerful. Plus I want to see how it is compared to the draft I had.

Decent. Still has some strong hop tones, but the subtle hop characteristics seem to have departed us. Seems to lean more towards a one dimensional ride. I mean, in all fairness, the pint I had on-tap was so fresh it had probably been kegged a week or even a few days prior. I mean, how can you beat that.

Poured from bottle into a snifter glass. Thanks to glazeman for this one.

A: Pours a really nice hazy golden/orange with a one finger head. There is a nice head and thick lacing down the side of the glass.

S: A lot of citrus fruit on the nose here, some grapefruit and orange. Also some pine, but it takes a back seat to the fruit.

T: There is a much greater pine taste than is indicated by the aroma. There is also a hint of sweetness, and some malt and caramel to touch it off on the back end.

M/D: Medium bodied, crisp but also has a creaminess. Definitely full of hops, which dominates this beer. A beer I would drink again.

3.78/5  rDev -6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Harpoon IPA glass. It poured amber in color with a bubbly and frothy head filling the top inch of the glass. It left some very nice lacing on my glass as I drank it as well.

The aroma shows a zesty, citrusy hoppiness to it along with some sweeter malty notes as well. It's actually fairly light on aroma compared to how bold the taste is. It doesn't really give off much of the bitter grapefruit that is all throughout the taste.

The taste has a pretty bold resiny pine, and orange or grapefruit rind like bitterness to it. Some herbal, slightly earthy hop qualities coming through as well. The malt tries to show through as well and lends some bready and caramel notes to it.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is decent, the flavors were bold but also pretty good. It really had a big grapefruit bitterness to it, definitely bigger then most IPA's and even a lot of DIPA's. Pretty good hop forward beer, especially if you enjoy a lot of bitterness to IPA's.

3.24/5  rDev -19.4%

Thanks to afdempse for the bottle.

A: pours a slightly murky orange with a two inch very sticky head and nice lacing

S: hops, alcohol (in a single IPA - hmm...) and something strange (soap?) I'm struggling to identify. I keep smelling this brew looking for the citrus and floral aromas one would expect, but I can not detect them.

T: I'm missing the malt/hop balance here. This beer is confusing my palate, but not due to complexity, which is unfortunately lacking.

M: There's a very slight harsh bitterness with every sip.

D: Bitterness in the aftertaste. This 6.6% ABV feels like more. I'm ready to move on to a different beer.

Notes: It's really hard for me to get past the harsh bitterness, when this is only a single IPA. I know Short's is a great brewery, but this beer just isn't my bag, baby.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Thanks to Dave (d0b) for throwing one of these my way. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - One and a half fingers of blonde-white foam that dissipates slowly and leaves some nice but spotty lacing. Murky orange-gold color with some nice glow to it. Pretty standard looking IPA that could have used a little more volume.

S - Pretty potent - I could smell it a foot from the glass. Copious sweet citrus and tropical fruit flavors from the hops, but also a significant amount of caramel maltiness, which is surprisingly for such a fresh brew. There's also a little fresh-cut grass in there. Again, pretty good but unspectacular.

T - Bitter! Starts sweet enough, but morphs into a palate-busting hop monster. The first sensation is the sweet caramel and fruit flavors, but then it just hits you with hoppy bitterness and pine that sticks around long after you swallow. It's a mellower version of Kuhnhenn Extreme IPA in that sense.

M - Lots of active carbonation tingle - might be a bit to lively for me. Goes down pretty smooth and easy, and leaves a bit of cottonmouth to go with the residual oily hop resin.

D - This is pretty palate fatiguing but otherwise is pretty easy drinking for any lover of hops. ABV is hidden well, and carbonation isn't over the top.

It's a very good IPA for those in the mood for hoppy bitterness. Nice contrast to the other Michigan single IPAs, which are more tropical fruit-centric.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

12oz bottle care of timmi

An IPA named after hops themselves and text appears on the label that reads: "A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth." Well, they certainly are setting the stage for big expectations.

Poured into a standard pint glass, it appears a clear orange color with a finger and a half of barely yellowish stained fluffy head. Decent retension and lacing appears all about the glass as the head fades. Aroma is a nice blend of malt sweetness that compliments the hops which are presented smelling floral, citrusy and slightly piney. Flavor of this beer does not disappoint. It has enough bitterness to push the IBU upper limit expected of an IPA but is not all bitterness, lots of flavors shine through from the hops. Medium feel with a moderate touch of carbonation. As it warms, some of the alcohol becomes more pronounced. The finish of this beer is somewhat oily with residual bitterness and malty sweetness left on the tongue.

Very well balanced IPA overall. I don't really have any complaints. There is an ambiguous number code on the bottle which does not inform me how fresh or old this IPA is. Regardless, it was very enjoyable. Nicely done.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

We recently began getting distro of Short's B.C. beers here in south-central PA & I am pretty excited about it! I have known those guys for years, between BA fests in BOS & my (usually) annual excursion to Madison, WI for the GTMW. I don't care if they are in bottles since I never expected them to come to me!

From the bottle: "A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth"[.]"; "Handmade by people who care. (tm)"

This is my sixth bottle of theirs and I am really enjoying Pop!ping the caps! I have a local artist who makes all sorts of things out of spent caps & so I am putting the Short's caps aside especially for a clear resin coaster. In the interim, I employed a heavy-handed pour, creating three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. I watched in awe as it slid downwards, leaving heavy, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), which led to a visit from the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all vying for a taste. Nose was deeply citrusy with loads of grapefruit notes, making my mouth water & reminding me that I am a self-described/avowed hophead. The monkey on my back does not screech & howl like he used to, but he is still there, giving me the occasional jones, like right now! Mouthfeel was medium. The theme park is now open! Malt?!? Yeah, if you say so! Man, this was like a hot shot of hops, mainlined & presented for my drinking pleasure! It is said that the critical mistake that many lapsed junkies make is returning to the same dosage at which they left off, usually leading to a fatal O.D. Not me, man! This perked me right up in ways that morning coffee can only dream. It was definitely hoppy with a grapefruit-citrus bitterness and a whole-flower freshness that is unbeatable! I listened as a server told a customer that she is not into this beer for all of the reasons that I just outlined. I simply smiled a sweet smile & promptly ordered one for myself. I have to say, between this one & Soft Parade, these were the causes of my excitement! The others are gravy on the biscuits, but those two drive the train. Finish was dry, bitter, flowery and everything that I want in an AIPA. Q: At what point WRT ABV does it become a DIPA? Curiosity is all.

4.21/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Aroma is earthy, floral, and piney. Taste follows, with some citrus notes in there as well. Pretty malty for an ipa bordering on imperial but still a nice hop bite.

Beer is amber and hazy with a thin white head that leaves a lot of lacing on the glass.

Aroma is hoppy but light with mostly piny with some earthiness in there as well. Minimal malt or sweetness.

Beer is medium to light in body and very bitter, finishes a little dry. Forward is a little thin but there are some pine notes in the midpalate. Its a decent IPA, very enjoyable.

3.7/5  rDev -8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Fairly recent pick up as well.

Appearance out of the bottle on the pour is really odd, it almost looks gray! However after a simple white foamy small one finger head is made, the body color reveals what I can only describe is a cloudy rust. Looks a little lifeless, but I'll give it points for a unique color. Minimal lacing also.

Muted light airy and somewhat sweet hop on the nose, with sugary citrus.

A very tolerable and balanced mix of strong pine hop and bread baked dry finish. Slightly wet mouthfeel, but super easy drinking for this style. Feels almost a little borderline herbal tea English style IPA with some black oolong character in the palate also.

Overall it's a very balanced style but lacks punch and power that I sometimes like to have. The nose seems also a little muted and isn't very distinct. I do give it good points for easy drinkability, but I am not so sure on my desire to want to have it again. It is though a very easy drinking IPA.

Received in trade from jbck109 thanks for the opportunity!
Pours a deep golden/copper color with a finely bubbled white head that dissipates quickly to only a ring around the top of the glass. Smells like hops, yeah really. Grapefruit and sour orange are prevalent in the aroma backed up by fleeting hints of biscuit and caramel. Taste is resinous, citrus, with some biscuit malt found deep underneath. Every sip I take adds to the resinous and citrus onslaught besieging my palette. Resinous mouthfeel, medium to full body, light level of carbonation. This is definitely a beer to help get your hop fix on. I enjoyed this although at times I did feel it bracingly bitter.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

12 ouncer, purchased at Spirit Haus in Amherst Ma. No freshness dating to be found.

Pours clear medium golden. moderate of white head, stays well, respectable fine strands of lace.

Citric hop nose, grapefruit and resiny goodness.

Full hop crunch in effect here. Grapefruit, piney resins and bitter fruity goodness. From Michigan, but tastes like its straight out of San Diego. More then worthy and quite enjoyable AIPA.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

Pours golden with a white head. The aroma is pretty strong, with a mix of piney and resiny hops. The flavor is more of the same with some earthy flavors mixed in as well. There is a good amount of bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

12oz bottle thanx to honest dave

A: poured a honey brown into my tulip that had a finger of head with pretty good sticky lacing.

S: it's crazy but I'm getting some candy aromas with a sweet malt notes and hardly any hop presence on the nose.

T: has a good rush of malts and hops with great balance between the both that linger on the palate after a each sip. I also like the clean crisp bitterness and dry finish to this brew.

M: meduim body with a good amout of carbonation to accent the beers flavor.

D: I really enjoyed this beer because it has alot of good Ipa qualities, really does its justice for the style. Hope I can get my hands on some more.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

On-tap at Gallagher's in Kalamazoo and split a pitcher with a friend. This is a good, dry and bitter IPA. Sure, it's less drinkable and approaches the low-end of DIPAs, but damn it's tasty. It's a rich, not overly-fruity grapefruit with bitter orange zest and underlying floral, herbal and earthy notes - delicious. I hope I can eventually find this beer outside of Michigan.

4.06/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Shorts' one time distribution to Denver allowed me to purchase this nice IPA.

Pours a slightly murky gold. White foamy head, dense bubbles. Splotchy lacing, sticky. Looks pretty darn good.

Yups, hop forward in the nose. Citrus, unripe grapefruit, some mango. The faint malt is biscuit with just a hint of something a bit darker...toasted bread. Sharp in the nose up front, hints of sweetness on the end. Hint of floral

The flavor follows the nose. Hops, and many of them. Citrus, some tropical. It's a quick and sharp presence. It's a tad resiny, but finishes rather clean. Some metallic on the end. Biscuit and some caramel linger throughout, but not much.

A really nice beer

Poured on-tap and served in a snifter, the beer is a bright, hazy, orange-gold coloring with a clingy, filmy, white head. Nose of orange and grapefruit, with a big follow of resinous, dank, cannibus, with highlights of pine and pepper. Flavors are resinous and citrus forward, heavy on orange and weed, with more grapefruit and melon notes developing. The body is smooth and dry, with a vinous and resinous lingering aftertaste. Dry, smooth finish. Good beer.

Poured in to Founder's tulip glass.
Bottled on date is very difficult to read and appears to be 1-10-11, so approximately 3 months old.

A - Poured a medium orange colour - very cloudy - almost opaque, with one finger of bubbly cream coloured head.

S - Sweet toffee/caramel malts and some pine and citrus hops provide for a well balanced nose. Some bitterness is apparent but not overly abundant. Not an overly robust nose but very pleasant and very well balanced.

T - A good sharp bitterness up front with some pine and floral notes coming through from the hops. The hops seems to provide more bitterness than flavour but the flavour contribution from the hops is still evident. Some sweet caramel comes through from the malts to provide some balance and the bitterness returns in the finish and lingers slightly. The apparent balance from the nose is not as evident in the palate as the bitterness dominates this one.

M - Medium body, light to moderate carbonation.

O - A very good IPA but seemed to be missing something to put it over the top. Would love to try this fresh and on tap.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Thanks to Charliedvrs for the bottle.

A bright orange color glows from the glass with some tan shades and a hint of tinted bronze. A whisp of firm white stuff stays on top at an inch with retention and stick, a good looker.

Smell is hop ridden and west Coast in nature, ah hell, this smells like a westy with all that tropic fruit. Alot of grapefruit, mango, with a sheet of biscuit malt under that. It smells like an IPA yo!

Yup, this one delivers with the lupa. Hop pellets in my mouth, Some C-Hop variety, probably some Chinook. Grapefruit, mango, some pineapple light, no earth, no mild hops, this is a westy, LOL. Tastes great.

Feel is a nice amount of stepped on medium with ample carb, the bitter linger sticks around but does not scorch the palate. I could and would drink a sixer of this. I may trade for more when I know this is uber fresh, a winner.

3.11/5  rDev -22.6%

This was a bit of a slow gusher, luckily I had about two seconds before it would have foamed up out of the bottle so I was able to get it into my glass. A careful pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a three-finger thick, lightly tanned, off white colored head. The beer is a nice, rich copper hue that shows a brilliantly clear, bright copper hue when held up to the light. The aroma smells of cheesy, dank hops, ample grapefruit, tangelo and a backdrop of herbaceous pine. Some biscuit and caramelized malt notes are noticeable deep in the aroma if you dig for them. There is definitely something slightly off and cheesy (there is a certain mustiness too) about the aroma, though it is not too distracting.

Biting bitter hops are noticeable from the get go and linger on the palate long after each sip. Essential grapefruit zest oils, a touch of lychee and tangelo notes play a secondary role to the bitterness and pine like flavors found in this beer. There is a sort of an over-ripe cheesy quality, or perhaps almost butter like note to this beer that is mostly dominated by the hop character, but still manages to subtly influence the flavor profile, and not in the best way. This has a fizzy carbonic texture to it that is perhaps a touch too much, but this doesn't detract too much. The hop character in the finish is actually fairly harsh; it is almost too green and vegetal, and I am wondering if there is something else influencing this.

This beer is clearly quite well hopped, in fact it is so well hopped that it almost hides the subtle infection that is taking hold. Unfortunately the infection is influencing this beer with cheesy notes and a harshness to the finish. While the hop overload make this still drinkable, the infection in this Shorts beer doesn't work as well as it did in some of the others.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Pours a clear, golden color. 1/3 inch head of a white color. Great retention and great lacing. Smells of strong floral hops, sweet malt, and citrus (grapefruit). Fits the style of an American IPA. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a dryness and the bitterness level is rather high. Tastes of strong floral hops, pale hops, yeast, slight sweet malt, and slight earthy malt. Overall, a good appearance and aroma, but the dryness hurts the feel a little.

3.1/5  rDev -22.9%

LOOK: Pours a light copper color with a white soapy froth that retains very well. Good clarity and impressive lacing on the pint glass.
SMELL: Grapefruit is heavy on the nose. A hint of biscuit and herb and floral. Mainly grapefruit. Toasted malt.
TASTE: Earthy and piney upfront with a rooty hop profile. Lemon zest and herb dial in strongly. Green tea and citrus. Pale malt backing.
FEEL: Medium bodied feel, high carbonation, with a dry grapefruit bite.
OVERALL: A delicious IPA with big grapefruit notes. Solid brew all in all.

update 2016 : Malt comes through nutty, almost roasted and hop flavor was minimal. Tasted like the elements popped during boil.

4.3/5  rDev +7%

Thanks goes out to SaucyA for this brew.

Pours a nice hazy dark golden yellow color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy off-white head, with some sticky lacing left behind. The nose is pretty hoppy, with some malts, nice touch of citrus, very nice pine notes. The taste is hoppy, alittle malty, some citrus, really liking the pinyness on this brew. Medium body, very chewy, bitter brew. Very drinkable, this one is a joy to drink, thanks Adam.

4.46/5  rDev +10.9%

12 oz bottle from Hawks10, poured into a Monica while grilling, pretty excited for this.

Appearance is perfect as far as I'm concerned with a bright, rich clear copper body that has a massive creamy off white head that is supported by a constant stream of bubbles and never fades to less than a finger thick. Also leaves behind thick sheets of lacing. Aroma reeks of fresh hops, very earthy and citrus rind with strong caramel malt and grain notes as well. Flavor is very similar, with both over the top and bitter hops and an equally potent sweet and earthy malt backbone. Body is medium thick with soft, active carbonation. The beer is very bitter throughout, including the finish but the strong malt body provides nice balance producing a very drinkable, aggressively hopped IPA. I rarely get too excited about IPAs but this one is a standout for my tastes.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz received in my most recent trade with Kbeals... Kevin is out of control... I think he might be in cahootz with a FedEx lady... I don't know... but the box was amazing.

Only wanted a beer or two tonight.. but I figure I better have a third while finishing boxing up some brews .... this is poured into my Delirium goblet.

Rocky 1" white head.. dies back atop a slightly hazed lite amber brew....

Citrus rind .. lite caramel malts.. some nice biscuit maltiness.. a bit of diacetyl..

Flavor has more diacetyl than I was hoping for... a bit buttery... big bitterness at the front with some mild maltiness throughout.. tons of citrus hops really scream American .. some floral hops shine too .. nice body and carbonation..

The buttery aspect is too pronounced in my palate... I've been told that I have a pretty low tolerance.. but I am getting it a bit heavy.

Kevin is an Uber Trader!! Thanks homeboy.... the love will never be lost.

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/4