Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

(Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
Alpar

07-16-2014 03:06:56 | More by Alpar
Pellinore1

3.98/5  rDev -2%

Thanks to kdub87 for sending this bottle.

Pours light orange into a pint glass, with just a touch of haze, and produces two fingers of fluffy white head.

Bright, citrus hops, and just a hint of bread. This smells very nice, clean and direct.

The flavor, like the smell, is all about the hops. This beer opens bitter, has some bitterness in the middle, and finishes the same. Enough malt shines through to assure that it's there, but only just.

Medium bodied with some pleasant carbonation, this is nice on the tongue and quite drinkable.

01-23-2011 01:52:54 | More by Pellinore1
martyl1000

Wisconsin

08-31-2013 07:07:01 | More by martyl1000
beachbum1975

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Thanks go out to newtonty to sharing this beer with me. 12 ounce brown bottle with a freshness chart, but not stamped correctly.

Pours a slightly cloudy, orangey to dark brass with a light tan, creamy ¾ inch head. Lacing is great, leaving thick webbing around the edges of my imperial pint. The remaining head settles to a 1/16 inch fizz on top.

Smells of pineapple, grapefruit and citrus hops. Light, caramel hops are in the nose, as well.

Medium to thick bodied and waxy on the tongue. Hops are scathing and assaulting on the tongue for the first few seconds - nice... After the rush of spicy, poignant hops, it mellows with a nice wave of semi-sweet malts.

Very drinkable, try this one!

05-02-2009 20:37:48 | More by beachbum1975
larryarms847

4.6/5  rDev +13.3%

Appearance is golden yellow that pours a thin head. Slight orange hues.

Smells of grapefruit, orange, and lemon zest.

Oh my hops! Definite grapefruit and orange zest, wonderfully hoppy.

Mouthfeel is hop bitterness with slight citrus and it is wonderful.

Overall one of my favorite IPAs

10-13-2013 20:53:38 | More by larryarms847
minterro

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev +1%

Consumed at Kalamazoo beer exchange. Rating from notes.

A & S: hazy orange colored beer. Small off-white head. A bit of lacing. Strong grapefruit (my work collage says it smells like yellow/white grapefruit vs pink grapefruit), and floral hops scents.

T & M: mid taste is a piney hop explosion, it has a great kick. finish is semi dry and bitter. Not a lot going on as far as I can tell as far as malt profiles go. On the sweet side of the IPA. Not very complex, but its what I look for in IPA’s. Medium to full bodied, with medium carbonation. It has that great combo of smooth but crisp.

O: Overall a damn good beer. No huge problems with this one, and my favorite out of the Short’s beers I’ve tried thus far. To explain more about some of my rating selections, I’m only giving it a 4 for taste because I didn’t think it was well balanced. I look for this kind of beer to drink, however if I were rating without bias I would say that there are a few parts of this beer that don’t make it world class (balance and complexity). So that’s my reasoning behind the 4 instead of something higher.

08-10-2011 03:58:24 | More by minterro
harsley

07-26-2013 16:13:47 | More by harsley
teamwiggum

Wisconsin

02-08-2014 05:55:53 | More by teamwiggum
kegger22

3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Huma Lupa is an amber color with a moderate white head that dissipates to a collar. The aroma is grapefruit citrus. The taste is like licking the grapefruit skin, very bitter. If there is malt in there, I can't find it. The feel is medium bodied with sufficient carbonation. drinkability is good.

I'm fine with the bitterness, it's good, but there are a lot of better beers. And, to be honest, I like my beer a little more balanced (i.e. sweeter).

12-15-2009 06:15:02 | More by kegger22
target88

Kentucky

12-03-2013 15:31:20 | More by target88
rodlavers

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a snifter, no visible bottling date, but there is a code on the bottom that I am unable to discern. My buddy just brought this back from MI, so I am assuming, one way or the other, that it's relatively fresh. Pours a really bright and hazy creamsicle orange with an equally bright white head. Head disappears pretty quickly, to almost nothing on the surface, but the lacing on the glass is decent, lots of little bubbles and interesting looking webbing.

Smells almost tart, with loads of malt and citrus up front, almost too much malt for my liking, but still good. It's super effing hoppy, for sure. I get a bit of sweetness as it warms up a bit. There's also some natural grassy/wheat aromas that become noticeable after a few minutes of warming up.

Taste is similar, very hoppy, very crisp, tart even, with malt dominating. Pine plays a small role, but overall I get a really hoppy pulpy malt/citrus flavor. I also get similar natural flavors of grass and wheat as well here. It's good, for sure.

Feels very crisp, but resinous as well. It's sharp and carbonated, biting and lingering. Basically what the label says: A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth, which is a bit overbearing, yet still enjoyable.

Overall this a very hoppy IPA with a huge malt presence. It's big, but at 6.something percent ABV, I could prob enjoy a few of these, but likely not much else.

03-04-2013 03:43:26 | More by rodlavers

06-08-2014 03:48:54 | More by mpenning13
bishopdc0

Maine

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%

I found the beer in a small store on a work trip to Empire MI. In true fashion I looked for the most local beer with the best label/name. Off course this was an easy choice, especially given the selection.

The beer pours a golden but mostly amber color, it is transparent and and the head forms immediately. As it dissipate the head clings the edge of the glass and remain.

The aroma is pungent and fresh, earthy and grassy hops fill my nose, at this point I am very happy with my choice.

The taste is very nice, very well rounded, or what I like to consider well rounded for an American IPA. The malts are sweet but not noticeable after the hops come in. The taste is caramel with some biscuit, but the pine and grass hop flavor takes over. The bitterness is prominent which may keep some from drinking another, but not me.

Overall a great beer and my first introduction to Shorts. As I was staying in town for 11 days I will search out more.

08-19-2011 11:19:43 | More by bishopdc0
dcbeers

District of Columbia

04-21-2013 21:57:49 | More by dcbeers
kirkse

12-22-2011 02:52:39 | More by kirkse
mikey711

3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

Got this from Nickwin who was a very good trader

A: Slightly cloudy and the color of caramel in a twix bar. It had a nice half inch thick head with big bubbles solid lacing.

S: Very nice citrus aroma with a mild amount of sweetness.

T: Very piney tasting. Good sweetness but I was definitely surprised by the amount of pine notes.

M: The pines do do linger quite a bit leaving a bitter feel. It does have some creaminess with a note that is a bit harsh.

D: I could have a few of these for sure but something but something about it makes it not my favorite

10-11-2009 00:45:51 | More by mikey711
amalburg

07-25-2014 03:19:23 | More by amalburg
DoctorDog

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks again to Franz4 for coordination of the chain of beer mule-ing that brought this beer to my lips.

A- Pours a hazy, light amber/copper. Pours with ~3 fingers of light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap. Tons of sticky lacing left behind...

S- A solid grapefruit and pine hop pop. As the head fades and the hop rush fades, a light caramel sweetness comes through.

T- Quite a bit of pine resin and citrus peel hopiness provide a strong bitterness right upfront...a bit of biscuity/caramel malt sweetness sneaks in to help provide some balance.

M- Moderate carbonation and a medium-to-slightly thin feel. Just a touch thinner than I would prefer here.

O- Very good. A pleasing IPA that really comes through with great aroma and a nice flavor.

Future outlook: Not readily available to me, but one that I'd enjoy again were I to come across it.

06-19-2011 02:58:40 | More by DoctorDog
bccrosley

Connecticut

01-21-2014 00:14:11 | More by bccrosley
stoutman

4.48/5  rDev +10.3%

THIS BEER IS HUGE!!! LOVE IT! Tons of Hops, so beware if that’s not your bag. Lots going on with the variety of hops used along with the pine and citrus, so it kicks you in the teeth and makes you think at the same time. Tastes great in the bottle but if you see it on tap jump on it. One great beer.

12-31-2012 01:55:37 | More by stoutman
homebrewhawk

Kansas

3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to GbVDave for this one. 12oz. bottle served in a shaker pint. Bottle conditioned. Poured a hazy gold with a ton of carbonation. Three fingers of fluffy white head. Pretty fragrant with citrus from hops and some caramel malt. Piney hops dominate the flavor, almost to the point of tasting a little green. Medium bodied. Drying finish from the hops. I got some yeast in there, so it had some yeasty twang.

02-04-2010 01:42:08 | More by homebrewhawk
mgbickel

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Perfect Pint glass. My aggressive pour yielded a thick, 2 finger, lemony whipped head. The foam had great retention time and left tons of lace behind. The body is a hazy, burnt orange color with golden highlights.

The nose finds lots of hops. Lemon zest, yeasty bread, malts and grapefruit.

The flavor is similar to the nose. Starts out with a malty sweetness but the hops soon take over and crawl under your tongue. The bitter hop bite grows more intense toward the finish.

Medium mouth feel, a little slick and well carbonated.

This is a refreshing, drinkable beer. I would buy this one again.

05-28-2010 13:55:20 | More by mgbickel