Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours a hazy, orange-amber with a 2 inch off white head that slowly fades leaving a nice lace.

S- Aromas of bitter citrus and pine are prominent. There is a very slight hint of malt but the hops take center stage.

T- A citrussy (grapefruit?) start followed by a very pronounced bitterness. I detect a slight bready flavor but it is overshadowed by the bitterness that commands me to keep sipping.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- A very solid IPA. I wish this was distributed in Mass. so I can consume on a regular basis.

4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

A - A cloudy orange body contains some black particulate floating about. A generous two finger off white head tops the body. This head is about as ice as they get with dimples and a generous veil of lacing down the inside of my glass. Looks dandy.

S - A nice citrus hop aroma permeates my nasal membranes. There is also a bit of bready malt mixing in with those hops to add some complexity to the nose.

T & M - The nose did not betray the tongue. A heavy hop presence is balanced with some bready malt. The hops are both citric and piney in character. Medium bodied...the hops continue to come through beginning, middle and end. Certainly 140 IBU's of hop bitterness being represented here.

D - This is a dandy IPA...I'm really glad my friends hooked me up with this one! If you like hop bombs, this one will be right up your alley.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow this might be better than Two Hearted, and. coming from someone with the username BellsFan THAT'S A BIG DEAL.
A: looks like an IPA aught to. Sserved without much head but presented with a deep amber color.
S: more than good hop aroma!
T: tastes like I'm drinking hops
M: actually it's thinner than expected for 140 IBUs and it's well balanced with just enough malt but not too much for an IPA
O: I ordered another; enough said

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

12oz bottle, courtesy of an in-person trade at DLD (Thanks!), into a La Chouffe tulip.

A: Bright, slightly hazy pale orange body with a finger of dense off-white head. Great retention and lacing. Nice-looking IPA.

S: Hugely piney, sprucy hop nose. Slight caramel sweetness alongside the profoundly bitter, resinous hop attack. Quite nice, and rather distinctive. I like it.

T: Pine, pine, and more pine. Some floral and grapefruit pith flavors also show up, as well as a touch of sticky malt, but pine never really relents. Gigantically bitter finish - a bit harsh, but enjoyable nevertheless.

M: Slick medium body, fairly light (but creamy) carbonation.

O: Solid IPA. I tend to prefer the fruitier, citrusier side of things, but it's fun to have one's taste buds blasted with pine now and then. Well done, Shorts.

Cheers!

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle courtesy of my roommate who picked me up a bottle at the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Pours a hazy golden orange with a two inch head that slowly dissipates into a thin white cap that sticks around. Leaves a great amount of thin spotty lacing.

S- Big bold juicy citrus hops with notes of grapefruit and orange zest as well as pine and floral notes. There is a bit of biscuit malt in the background.

T- Citrus notes including grapefruit and orange zest as well as pine, pineapple, and biscuit malt. Resiny hops coat the tongue.

M- Medium carbonation and body. Somewhat sticky and has a dry finish.

O- Heard good things about this brew and it lived up to my expectations. It's pretty hop forward with the malt being fairly subtle, but is still quite drinkable and a very tasty IPA. If this was available in Chicago, I could see myself picking this up quite frequently.

$2.39/12 oz. bottle from Plum Market in Ann Arbor, MI

A: deep amber color, thin head
S: good balance between malt and hops, not OTT with hops
T: nice balance of hops and malt, I was concerned with the ultra high IBUs but the malt is perfect for this
M: malty up front with hop twang in back
O: good beer without being OTT with hops

4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for this beer

Review adapted from notes taken 3/14/11

Appearance: A great, foamy head to start that fades to remarkably sticky lacing - a burnt orange/amber pumpkin-like color - seems dark for an IPA, but I like it

Smell: Explosively hoppy, mostly reminds me of fresh grapefruit, some pine resin, too - some biscuity malts, but they are overpowered

Taste: According to my notes, "mad bitter" - one of the most straight-up bitter beers I've ever had (it's in the league of Blind Pig IPA) - lots of resin, citrus, and grapefruit - hops lack any tropical attributes, just super bitter - there are some caramel and biscuit-like malts in here, but they are too weak to handle the hops; actually a bit too unbalanced

Mouthfeel: Stupidly sticky, medium body

Overall: Very tasty, an all-around good IPA

Despite the fact that I think this could use a slightly higher malt bill, I really enjoyed it. Not particularly complex, but definitely tasty.

3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

(12oz bottle courtesy of rayl101. Thanks Kevin!!). Pours cloudy yellow-orange color with off-white, fluffy head. Aroma has resin, mango, orange and a bit of dankness. Taste is semi-sweet with a bitter, almost minty/herbal end. Medium bodied with an oily texture. Bitter finish, but balanced by the malts. Pretty good, but I would have liked this a tad sweeter.

4.07/5  rDev +0.2%

Presentation: From a 12 oz. bottle into a nonic. Thanks again to Franz4 for coordination of the chain of beer mule-ing that brought this beer to my lips.

A- Pours a hazy, light amber/copper. Pours with ~3 fingers of light tan head, which fades slowly to a thin cap. Tons of sticky lacing left behind...

S- A solid grapefruit and pine hop pop. As the head fades and the hop rush fades, a light caramel sweetness comes through.

T- Quite a bit of pine resin and citrus peel hopiness provide a strong bitterness right upfront...a bit of biscuity/caramel malt sweetness sneaks in to help provide some balance.

M- Moderate carbonation and a medium-to-slightly thin feel. Just a touch thinner than I would prefer here.

O- Very good. A pleasing IPA that really comes through with great aroma and a nice flavor.

Future outlook: Not readily available to me, but one that I'd enjoy again were I to come across it.

4.63/5  rDev +14%

Beer poured from bottle into Pint shaped glass

A - Body of the beer is a nice dark golden color; translucent; very, very active with bubbles; fantastic thick and solid white two finger rocky colored head formed; dissipated evenly and slowly and left behind a nice layer of sticky lacing on the glass

S - Nice citrus and pine hop blast to the nose; leaves a little bit of malt in the back of the smell, but my nose is still trying to get over the hop notes that hit it; some roasted and chocolaty malt scents; great scents

T - Wow! Hop bitterness all-around; I didn't even put the beer down and my mouth is screaming for something sweet; some nut - hazelnut is mixed in there; I also can't help but notice a slight taste of roasted malt or chocolate on the tongue and sides of the mouth

M - Retro-olfaction radiates bitter aftertaste and bitter mucus; frothy but very solid and well-built; nut flavors are also in the aftertaste

D - I really, really liked this beer; if you're a fan of IPA's, there is no reason why this isn't in your collection; great scents and a smooth, but harsh, hop flavor; packed with citrus pine notes that make your mouth crave for more hop flavored beer

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

I’ll just say right off the bat that this IPA is right up my alley.

It’s got a beautiful golden color and a fluffy head which laces-up quite nicely.

It smells floral & inviting, but never overpowering.

The taste is a well-balnced malt backbone with a gentle (but not shy) hop profile. It’s lingering bitterness cuts a light sweetness. It’s drinkable as HELL! I could easily finish off three without feeling like I got knocked-upside-the-head then gagged-on by a hop vine. It’s refreshing and always puts a smile on my face.

In addition, I think Shorts packaging is simple, honest and one of the best.

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A- a light copper with a 2 finger head that settles to a finger leaving lacing as it settles. Looks very nice.

S- strong hop citrus, pineapple, and a touch of pine very appealing, I can't wait to taste this.

T- heavy on the citrus flavor up front with the pine coming through in the back. Very nice, actually quite refreshing.

M- carbonation is moderate, aftertaste lingers for a bit, not a strong point of this beer. It's not bad in this area, just not memorable.

O- My first Short's brew, and a very nice one at that. A nice example of an IPA that's also very approachable, hoppy, but not extremely bitter.

3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

Reviewing from notes a few months old. 12oz bottle poured into a pint glass

A: Slightly cloudy pour. Rusty orange color. Leaves a 1 finger white head. The glass is covered with nice lined lacing throughout

S: Most hops in the nose. Citrus, including pineapple and orange. Not intense by any means, but a good aroma. There is a bit of pine mixed in. No trace of malt

T: Definitely a lot of pine bitterness. The fruit is not as prevalent in flavor, but does come out a little bit. Malt is present here, with a good balancing profile of sweet bread

M: Medium bodied. Good carbonation for the style. Lingering bitterness that I believe would be too much after more than a few of these

D: Decent hoppy IPA. Big bitterness with a complimentary citrus sweetness. Would like to see it a little more balanced. Would revisit in the future

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

Rich IPA, long and with a complex bitter hop profile.

Presentation: 12 oz brown capped bottle . Dark green and blue label with an illustration of hops under brighter green typography. It has a semi-legible bottling date (051611?). Served in a tulip glass.

A - Medium amber pour with a fair 1" frothy head, good retention, good surface memory, and some lacing.

S - Soft and fresh hoppy nose, citric, caramel malt sweetness.

T - Rich IPA range, rather fresh, with an initial bitterness over a bready and malty caramel base. The bitterness turns assertive as it lingers in the palate and unfolds rich notes of hops, resin, light grapefruit, grassy and resinous again as it closes the flavor.

M - Medium body with medium carbonation, smooth and slightly sticky with a nice closing bite.

O - Nice and long IPA, at first it seems a touch shy, then the bitterness emerges, and interestingly does not stop there providing a rich hoppy range over the assertiveness.

Notes: Nice surprise and glad to have tried a few fresh bottles of this one as a result of Savor. Pity that it likely won't make it again around here, but this is another fine thing to keep in mind should any regional travel to Michigan take place.

3.7/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured out of the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Fairly recent pick up as well.

Appearance out of the bottle on the pour is really odd, it almost looks gray! However after a simple white foamy small one finger head is made, the body color reveals what I can only describe is a cloudy rust. Looks a little lifeless, but I'll give it points for a unique color. Minimal lacing also.

Muted light airy and somewhat sweet hop on the nose, with sugary citrus.

A very tolerable and balanced mix of strong pine hop and bread baked dry finish. Slightly wet mouthfeel, but super easy drinking for this style. Feels almost a little borderline herbal tea English style IPA with some black oolong character in the palate also.

Overall it's a very balanced style but lacks punch and power that I sometimes like to have. The nose seems also a little muted and isn't very distinct. I do give it good points for easy drinkability, but I am not so sure on my desire to want to have it again. It is though a very easy drinking IPA.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

cellar temp bottle poured into a snifter. The beer pours a bright clear gold color iwth minimal bleached white head that fades to a thin edge layer quickly as the beer sits. Aroma is floral hops and a bit of citrus mixed together. Hints of grainy malt can be found but make no mistake this is a hop dominated nose.
First sip reveals an average body with slightly sticky texture and mild gentle carbonation. Flavor is briefly caramel and grain but rolls to a sticky resiny hop bite with grapefruit and pine sap dominating. A strong hop bit finishes bitter and crisp. No hints of any booze on this beer, definitely a hop lovers brew.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a cloudy, golden-orange color with a small white head that disappears quickly. Scent is EXTREMELY hoppy and piney! I love the nose on this beer. A bit of citrus lemon and caramel malt as well. Taste is packed with tons of hops as well. A bit of burnt toast flavor with nice malt balancing well with piney and citrus hop flavors. Finishes with bittering hops. Mouthfeel is medium-bodied with a nice bite at the end. Drinkability is high. I'm not positive, but this may be my first beer from Short's I've ever had. Thanks to my buddy Phil for bringin this one back from his trip to Michigan. Overall, this is an awesome IPA that I would purchase regularly if it were available here.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%

12oz bottle poured into SA perfect pint glass.
~$12/6-pack at Whole Foods in DC
Bottled 5/16/11

A: Pours a deep, almost burnt colored amber. Frothy head which quickly dissipates.
S: Almost like a sweet nectar aroma.
T: I think I may be eating hop cones. This is serious stuff and for a single IPA it's pretty remarkable what they've been able to do with the taste.
M: Thick.
D: I like this. I've heard a lot about this beer and I'm very happy to have had the opportunity to have a few. While it's not my favorite IPA, I think that it is a stand-up beer.

4.9/5  rDev +20.7%

From a bottle into a glass. $10.19 in Gaylord MI, Bottled on date 03/10/11 So its a couple of months old.

A- Nice. Golden color with a nice white fluffy head that almost overflowed the glass, but didnt end up leaving even after the last swallow was gone.

S- Huge. Lots of hops, lots of citrus.

T- Tons of hops citrus and pine that stick with you for a very lingering hoppy bitter finish.

M- Very big but really nice to drink. One of my favorites in the category.

O- This is a super beer i remember the first time that i ever drank it around 3 years ago it took me about 2 weeks to finish the 6 pack. Now i could drink all of them in one night.

2.76/5  rDev -32%

I was really excited to try this beer as I always am with Shorts. Or as I like to call them, the brewery that makes some really weird-ass-hit-or-miss-push-the-envelope brews.

This one was a total miss for me. Seriously, nothing redeeming in it at all. I'm hoping I just got an old bottle because reading the recent reviews, this isn't the same shit I'm drinking. Even the PB&J which was extremely tart and sour, I could find some good qualities in it.

Time really makes quite a difference in an IPA to me. It can take a great beer and just add syrupy fecal notes to it. Hopefully I'll get another *fresh* bottle of this and re-review from that.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

An absolute dream for any hop lover. Although perhaps "over the top" for some, I think it's my favourite beer, ever!

Clear amber with decent carbonation and head, but limited lacing. Beautiful hops and tropical fruits in the aroma, followed by a multi-faceted flavour that covers the full spectrum from the sweetness of caramelized malts and pineapple / mango to the lingering bitterness of a brilliantly hopped finish.

I've enjoyed this beer in several different towns and pubs, from both taps & bottles. The quality has been consistent and the beer wonderful. I am now enjoying one of the last bottles I brought back from Michigan - much older than it should be - and am absolutely stunned that it's as good as I remember...

A pilgrimage to "the upper peninsula" is in order!

Poured into a Sam Adams perfect pint glass

Appearance: 1/3 inch head, orange-brown in color, hazy, high carbonation

Smell: grapefruit and pine hops

Taste: a small bready caramel start followed by a big dose of piney and citrus hops with caramel towards the end

Mouthfeel: medium-high carbonation, medium body,sweet start with a big bitter body and bitterness in the aftertaste.

Overall: This is the best mid-west ipa that I have had in a while. I like the mix of hops. Due to the dryness two is my max, but I would pick more up if it were more readily available around here.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

A- Pours a dark amber color with 2 finger white head

S- I get hints of maybe alittle grapefruit and def. some pineapple. The smell of hops is their with also some carmel notes

T- Big citrus flavor up front followed by some carmel sweetness and finishes with alittle hops

M-Medium Body with nice carbonation

D-OVerall i enjoyed this ipa. Had some grapefruit flavor in it which i usally don't like but the grapefruit was subtle. liked the amount of hop taste and would def. get this again.

3.91/5  rDev -3.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A: Dark mahogany in color, great off white head that keeps shape for awhile, and killer lacing. Impressive.

S: Not too overwhelming in any way or form, earthy hops in the front followed by a nice hit of sweet malt in the back.

T: Good hit of hops off the bat, then a subtle flow of mellow sweetness coming from the malt characteristics to round things off.

M: Creamy, with some stickiness on the intake. ABV blended well, good to whale down or taken gently.

O: An overall good two-way IPA that can please both sides. Definitely worth a shot if given the opportunity.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

12 ouncer, purchased at Spirit Haus in Amherst Ma. No freshness dating to be found.

Pours clear medium golden. moderate of white head, stays well, respectable fine strands of lace.

Citric hop nose, grapefruit and resiny goodness.

Full hop crunch in effect here. Grapefruit, piney resins and bitter fruity goodness. From Michigan, but tastes like its straight out of San Diego. More then worthy and quite enjoyable AIPA.

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA from Short's Brewing Company