Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

(Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev +11.6%

Pours a lovely, slightly orange amber with a densely packed white head that sticks around forever and leaves super sticky lacing. The aroma is all I could ask for in an IPA. Citrus grapefruit punch with caramel malt sweetness holding it up. My parents brought this to me from Michigan and it must be a pretty fresh bottle, because the smell filled the room when I popped the cap. The flavor differs slightly from the aroma in that I pick up a lot more pine than in the nose. Don't get me wrong, it is still a grapefruit party in my mouth, but pine is busting a move on my tongue as well. It definitely has a very complex hop flavor and I am also picking up some herbal notes as well as orange and lemon. Bitterness is pretty strong, but I still find that the malt balances it quite well. The malt is very nice with some toffee notes that do not overpower the pale malt base. Yum. The mouthfeel is medium with a nice dry finish and carbonation that is right on the money. This is a very drinkable IPA, and I am looking forward to my next trip to MI so I can have it on tap again. It is quite depressing that Short's came onto the scene about the time I moved away from Northwest Michigan. I highly recommend this beer.

zoso1967, Apr 14, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

Pours a somewhat cloudy gold-amber with an off-white head.

Smells of bitter grapefruit citrus hops.

Taste follows the smell with a big blast of bitter grapefruit citrus hops. Nice toffee malt backbone. Finish is bitter with grapefruit, lemon, and earthy hop flavors.

Moderate body and slightly dry. Good carbonation.

Drinkability is good--really solid IPA.

sidetracked, Apr 14, 2010
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

I drank this from a 12oz bottle into my Orval glass.

The beer is clearish muddy orange with a very whispy white head that is gone right away. Light lacing.

The aroma is medium displaying some nice balance of sweet grapefruits contracted with some pine hop notes.

The taste is little sweet on the front but dead then brings lots of flavor on the back with piney hops. This is a really nice smooth hop that makes it easy to drink.

jrallen34, Apr 14, 2010

A-Pours a nice golden with a white head that leaves a nice layer of foam throughout the drinking experience. There is even a little lacing on the glass.

S-Grapefruit hops and some malt on the nose, nothing overwhelming.

T-Grapefruit, oranges, stand out from the hops and it has a nice malt backbone.

M-Not too carbonated or syrupy, just about right for the style.

D-Very good session beer. Its easy to drink and tastes really good.

Overall, I enjoyed this ipa given to me by a friend who came back from Michigan. I think the bottle gifted to me was a little old, so the hops may have died down a little. I would love to try a fresher bottle and to drink this again. I recommend this beer, but it by no means is as good as Two Hearted.

thegodfather2701, Apr 10, 2010

12oz. bottle poured into my La Fin Du Monde tulip...

Pours a brownish amber that is slightly hazy. A decent two finger bright white head forms and leaves some lacing...

A west coast aroma to this one, very nice. Pine and slightly floral hops, very resinous with a bit of a citrus hop presence as well...a slight aroma of sweet malt, but this one is all about the hops...

Bitter and dry, earthy and piny, no real presence of any citrus hops...a bit of sweet, caramel malt tries to be heard from but this beer is pretty one sided, finishes very dry...

Medium bodied with good carbonation, very dry finish and cotton-mouth aftertaste...

Pretty good "west-coast" IPA from a midwest brewer, too many other good IPA choices out there however to justify buying this one again...at least for now...

hawks10, Apr 09, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Got from FlanderNed, thanks! Look out...gusher! Served at fridge temp. Poured from a 12oz bottle into my Allagash tall snifter. Pours a pale golden color with a gigantic white frothy head...which lasts a long time! Appearance is very hazy. Leaves great patchy/frothy lacing.

Aroma is pleasant...lots of citrus and hops. Picking up crisp fruit, grapefruit. Slightly malty aroma.

Flavor is very good! Light, crisp, and hoppy mouthfeel! The hops are semi sweet and bitter for a great transition. Creamy and smooth mouthfeel. Not boozy...lots of citrus and grapefruit like flavors. Overall, a very good and impressive IPA.

ShadesOfGray, Apr 09, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

thanks to my buddy andy for bringing this lovely beauty back from Michigan.
pours a hazed sunburnt orange with a fizzy off white one finger and great lace. smells of grapefruit hops and that's about it. it's nice, just kind of one dimensional. bold pine flavors with bitterness throughout. ends with a tropical mango tartness that is very pleasant, and a creamy mouthfeel. very resinous, i would love to have another.

backfat, Apr 07, 2010

Spied a single sixer at the store and pounced! Beautiful orange color with nice head and lacing. Smelled of pine and citrus with a sharp tingle in the nose. Tasted of strong citrus hops with a strong bittering hop in the front and a sweet pine in the back. Mouthfeel was medium and carbonated quite well. Finish was bitter and dry. Drinkability was so good i polished off 5 while my cousin finished off my hopslam and batch 9000! I like Shorts Huma-Lupa-Licious!

kalkavekkian, Apr 03, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Pours a hazy orange with an off-white 1 finger head leaving nice lacing.

Smells of a grapefruit and pine like hops with a slight sweetness.

Taste starts out very hoppy following the nose in flavor with a slightly sweet middle and a very bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with very nice carbonation.

Drinkability is very high and quite sessionable.

teovaldi, Mar 26, 2010
3.85/5  rDev -5.2%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip.

A - Golden orange with one finger of rocky beige head.

S - Caramel, toffee, and lots of resinous pine hop aroma. Candied orange peel in the background.

T - Faint malt flavor with an assault of piney and pithy hop flavor and aggressive bitterness. Totally out of balance, but compelling all the same. Finishes very dry.

M - Feels very light in the mouth; gets to be a bit abrasive.

D - Very harsh hops make this a one-and-done deal. Would drink again on another occasion, though.

trbergman, Mar 25, 2010
4.35/5  rDev +7.1%

Pours an amber-copper color. Has a thin, lacy head in brandy snifter. Some retention left in spots on the glass.

Has a hoppy and citrus aroma. Very pleasant and aromatic. Pine is also noticeable.

Huma has a delicious sweet and bitter taste. It has a tasty complexity to it. Huma has a strong hop presence. I taste pineapple, grapefruit,and orange. Black pepper gives it a certain spiciness.

Medium-bodied and decent carbonation. A great IPA that I have known for only a year now. A great beer from a great brewery.

tetonka4kzoo, Mar 18, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +5.4%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A - beautiful golden color, almost orange, this beer almost looks like it is glowing, small white head is present

S - nice sweet, citrus hop smell

T - the hoppy bitterness seems to wrap around and pummel my tongue, a nice malty sweetness up front, the hops really seem to linger after swallowing this one causing me to take another swallow, the bitterness present makes me think DIPA not IPA

M - mild carbonation and a medium body

D - I really enjoy this beer, if this was available near me this would be a regular. The bite at the end of this beer really makes me want to take another swallow leading me to drink this one pretty quick. The pummeling it gives my taste buds though make me only want to have one of these at a time but I would definitely come back to this one again!

jpmclaug, Mar 17, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1%

Received this bottle in a trade, and have to say that this really made me a believer in Short's beers! The Pandemonium Pale Ale was solid, but this was simply a great and straight forward bitter and citric IPA. I could drink this one all summer. Review is from notes taken on 3/6/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a pretty standard orange/coppery color and starts with a nice one finger off-white head with good retention that slowly fades to a thin and full skim; body is fairly cloudy and shows moderate carbonation where you can see into it; a nice web of lacing is left behind.

Smell: Makes my mouth water! Wonderful citric and juicy hop smells (orange and a little bit of a grapefruit note in there as well) and there is a super-solid malty and sweet scent; overall, it's a pretty straightforward smelling beverage and I feel like I already know what it's going to taste like.

Taste: Pretty close in my taste assumption based upon the nose, but the massive hop presence is more rind-like and bitter as opposed to juicy like I thought it might be; the bitterness is pretty dominant, and the malty sweetness acts as a minimal counterbalance; slight presence of alcohol in the back.

Mouthfeel: Fairly thick and chewy body for an IPA; a pretty thick and dry coating is left all over the mouth; a nice drying effect is felt throughout the drink; carbonation is soft and smooth and allows the syrupy nature of the body to shine through.

Drinkability: A great IPA to be sure -- all the elements are great and true to the style; I could drink this all day as the bitterness is quite refreshing, but it does sit a tad heavy, so I may limit it to 2-3 in any given night, and that's provided that I actually had that kind of access to it (sadly, I don't).

bamadog, Mar 09, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor, this was a hazy orange beer with a tight head, lots of lace, and a whole lot of citrus smell.

The taste wasn't as citrusy as the smell--it's a very bitter beer, with orange rind and pine hops. I would have liked a little bit more malt, but it is a lovely and fresh tasting beer, with a creamy mouthfeel and a dry finish--my favorite combination--and very drinkable. A pretty excellent example of the American IPA so beloved by hop-heads.

lstokes, Mar 09, 2010

I love IPA's they are easily my favorite type of beer. Huma-Lupa-licious is without a doubt in my top 3 beers ever. No need to go into detail about the details because for me its perfect. i have had this beer on tap and in a bottle and they are both amazing. If i had to find one thing wrong with this beer it could only be the cost (10.49+dep/tax), which is justified by its quality but i still would like it for less $.

Blob77, Mar 07, 2010

Got a couple of these from Tyson. Thanks.

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale pours forth from the bottle with power and might, clear as the golden stream of Lapland, with a billowing head that reaches the monolithic peaks of Mt. Zeus.

The aroma is pretty good. West Coast style, very floral with a bit of tangerine and grapefruit. Subtle fruity sweetness and a hint of fresh herbs. Nice.

The taste spreads across my palate like a 4d6 area effect fireball, slaying taste buds as quickly as a level 9 wizard against a pack of giant rats. Palate evisceration is aided by an eternal parching dryness, as long and wide as the Desert of Desolation, and an herbal hop attack as powerful as an enraged Barbarian with an enchanted two-handed great axe. A pale whisper of citrus floods my mind with memories of days spent campaigning on the enchanted tropical realms of the Lendore Islands in the Solnor Ocean, feasting nightly on the sweet nectarful Lendorian fruit under the shimmering cerulean moonlight.

Solid mouthfeel. Crisp light body, bit of sweetness initially but ends dry and bitter. Would drink again.

largadeer, Feb 24, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1%

12oz bottle obtained via Local BIF from mjd83goblue. Thanks for the opportunity. <Jeremy2002 = bad trader>

Poured into an imperial pint, formed a 3/4" beige head above the clear amber brew. Head falls slowly, with sticking lace. Aroma is juicy citrus hops. Taste is sweet for a peek, and then the juicy fruit takes over, and carries on towards the close, with bitterness coming to the party near the end. Mouthfeel is smooth, and drinkability is nice as well. Happy to have enjoyed me some Shorts...

ppoitras, Feb 23, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

Served at refrigerator temperature from a bottle into a goblet glass. The beer poured with a dark golden colour and very little head. The aroma is of cascade hops- distinct but not overpowering. The flavor is primarily of grapefruitty hops but there is a ever present malty flavor. This strong malt would be overpowering in any other brew but it required to match the strong hop flavor- and it does this job well. Unlike many other American IPAs, Short's does a good job here of making one that is actually drinkable. The flavor is not terribly complex (cascade hops and malt) but this is a solid brew with good flavor and mouthfeel. Recommended.

matt20102, Feb 21, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

12oz received in my most recent trade with Kbeals... Kevin is out of control... I think he might be in cahootz with a FedEx lady... I don't know... but the box was amazing.

Only wanted a beer or two tonight.. but I figure I better have a third while finishing boxing up some brews .... this is poured into my Delirium goblet.

Rocky 1" white head.. dies back atop a slightly hazed lite amber brew....

Citrus rind .. lite caramel malts.. some nice biscuit maltiness.. a bit of diacetyl..

Flavor has more diacetyl than I was hoping for... a bit buttery... big bitterness at the front with some mild maltiness throughout.. tons of citrus hops really scream American .. some floral hops shine too .. nice body and carbonation..

The buttery aspect is too pronounced in my palate... I've been told that I have a pretty low tolerance.. but I am getting it a bit heavy.

Kevin is an Uber Trader!! Thanks homeboy.... the love will never be lost.

3.5/3.5/3.5/4/4

JohnGalt1, Feb 18, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +17%

A- poured a slight amber golden color. the slightest off white thick foamy head. medium lacing.

S- just hops. earthy and citrusy

T- just how it smells but with a caramel malt backup blended just right.

M- medium light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- could try to drink a whole 6. on my 4th right now and feelin pretty good(abv).

Overall- this beer is how a michigan ipa should be made. this goes in the pack of bell's two hearted and dark horse's crooked tree even tho the crooked has more of a malt blend. if you're an ipa fan and like the bitterness you should totally try this brew.

claminat420, Feb 13, 2010
3.45/5  rDev -15%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Three finger head that dissipates to a very creamy one finger whilst leaving its mark. A bit darker than usual for the style, a rather copper amber color. Laces pretty well, what a nice looking IPA.

S: Could be more aromatic. Pine dominates, there is some "rank" here. Some citrus comes through.

T: Definitely wasn't expecting the kick in the pants from the DIPA like bitterness. A bit more bitter than HopSlam (or at least feels like it). There is a lot of "rank" flavor here, if you know what I mean. The hop's close cousin definitely paid a visit. There is a hint of malt on the finish, but the balancing seems to be a bit off with the beer favoring bitter. The finish isn't very clean with a lingering resin-like bitterness.
This is a bitter IPA rather than a floral IPA, I would say this one fails to be an American IPA and tastes a lot like a British IPA. The bitterness is dynamic and find myself quite happy with it now, but the hop florals just aren't here. I wish this had the strong and fresh hop presence of Short's Good Humans.

M: There is good carbonation that gives an illusion of good mouthfeel, yet it is masking the fact that this beer is rather watery.

D: I'm done, forever, after a single one. This is not an American IPA in my book. All the bitterness of a DIPA, without the hop flavor to back it up.

O: I am sipping this one due to the fact there is a bit more bitterness and a lot less flavor than I would of liked. There is nothing in this beer that is better than Bell's Two Hearted, appearance aside.

EDIT: 76 IBU? Why is this categorized as a regular IPA? Seriously? That is almost 10 more than HopSlam! Why have this beer, with all the bitterness, without enough fresh hop flavor to back it?

icetraxx, Feb 11, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a nonic. No date or info.

Thanks to Beerwolf77 for this Short's Brew!

A - Brilliantly clear golden honey yellow with little carbonation rising up. A tall pour releases a near-three-finger, cream-colored head. Very stable but became lumpy and dropped over time leaving thick gobs of lace in it's wake.

S - Deep earthy and grassy hops abound. Dry wood and grass-clipping leaf-pile with hints of grapefruit and resins. Honey and caramel malts in the background provide a nice malt base for the playground of hops.

T - Huma Lupa has some awesome harmonious balance. It's not a slap in the face with hops but it does bring the heat. Honey and sweet caramel malts give a solid, sweet structure for the hops which are all over the place. Lots of earthy notes of wood and grass-clipping piles with grapefruit citrus hints and resins.

M - The balance gives this beer a sweet but mildly bitter finish with a high dryness and lingering after-taste. Medium-bodied and moderately carbonated, it has a smooth, rather soft texture to it.

D - As far as my palate goes, a rather mild IPA because of the balance, but one that's fairly drinkable in larger quantities. I could do a six-pack and enjoy every one. That's interesting too based on my distaste for mulch-like hops in beer. Well blended and brewed. Thankfully not infected! :P

BeerFMAndy, Feb 10, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to GbVDave for this one. 12oz. bottle served in a shaker pint. Bottle conditioned. Poured a hazy gold with a ton of carbonation. Three fingers of fluffy white head. Pretty fragrant with citrus from hops and some caramel malt. Piney hops dominate the flavor, almost to the point of tasting a little green. Medium bodied. Drying finish from the hops. I got some yeast in there, so it had some yeasty twang.

homebrewhawk, Feb 04, 2010
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

A: Pours a fairly hazy coppery orange with a 1.5 finger yellowish head. The head dies rather quickly, but what stays leaves nice lacing down entire glass.

S: Aroma is dominated by citrus and piney hops with some malt.

T: Tastes follows the smell with citrus and piney hops with some malty sweetness in the middle. The drink finishes with a nice bitter bite at the end!

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finishes dry which makes you beg for more.

D: Very drinkable beer. This beer truly exceeded my expectations; I will have to pick up a few more before I leave MI!

Jeebs, Feb 03, 2010
4.1/5  rDev +1%

Thanks to blutt59 for sharing this bottle.

Pours golden with a white head. The aroma is pretty strong, with a mix of piney and resiny hops. The flavor is more of the same with some earthy flavors mixed in as well. There is a good amount of bitterness. Medium mouthfeel and low carbonation.

Mora2000, Feb 02, 2010