Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

(Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
3.68/5  rDev -9.4%

thanks to heliosphann for this extra! 12oz bottle, no freshness info.

A- Golden with a hint of orange, giving it that glowing appearance, slightly hazy.

S- beautiful citrus- mango, grapefruit. Reminds me a bit of Blind Pig.

T- I generally like as little sweetness in my IPA's as possible, but this one is just really lacking in that category. It's like bitter hops are coming through, with some flavor of their own, like bitter citrus oil, but there's hardly any sweetness in the body to be detected, and for me that means it's very low. Kind of a harsh hoppiness to it overall.

M- very dry. Too dry. Body isn't bad in terms of weight, but there's just no malt flavor in there. Almost the exact opposite of what I would expect from a brewery on that side of the country.

MiScusi, Apr 04, 2009
3.6/5  rDev -11.3%

Gold/orange color with a substantial off-white head. Smells like flowers. Not just floral hops but like a bouquet on your grandmother's dinner table. It smells like quite a bit of hops have been packed into the recipe. Also a touch of sour dish rag smell. Tastes extremely bitter... even by IPA standards. It lacks the citrus fruity flavors that I'm used to in this style of beer. Mostly bitter pine with an oily texture. The aftertaste is a little unpleasant as well... Kind of like I've been sucking on a dirty pine cone. Creamy and/or oily texture and medium body. Nice rings are laced down the glass with every sip but the appearance and aroma build you up for a let down with this beer. It's good beer but not great.

berserker256, Mar 27, 2009

I enjoyed this beer on tap at Hopcat.

It was served to me in a pint glass crowned with about half an inch of bone white head, most of which dissipates early on, but leaves considerable amounts of lacing behind, almost coating the side of the glass at first. Toward the end, the lacing weakens its grip. The color is that of a beautiful dark sunset orange, and hazy enough to prevent you from seeing through the glass.

The nose is comprised of readily detectable aromas of citrus and candied pineapple. It smells great, but the scent becomes more difficult to recognize the longer the beer sits here.

Bitterness and spice hit the tongue first, which gives way to earthy/piney notes that dominate the palate. Grapefruit lingers in the background. Pine is by far the most prevalent flavor at first. As it warms, the citrus comes out to play. Overall, I'd say the flavor profile is evenly split between pine and grapefruit. Very crisp. Very nice. This is a great example of an American IPA. The drinkability is about what you'd expect for a bitter IPA. For me, it's very drinkable because I love bitter IPAs.

Much respect for this brewery. I have loved almost every single one of their beers that I have tried, and Huma is definitely one of my favorites. Thank God that Short's has finally started bottling their brews so they can get the recognition they deserve from the craft beer community.

sarahspat, Mar 26, 2009
4.1/5  rDev +1%

A - A clear, sunset orange body with an off-white crown into a standard shaker. Retention isn't really its strong suit, at least out of a bottle. Good lacing... it looks like little amoeba on the sides of my glass.

S - Pineapple, huge citrus notes... just juicy citric, bitter hops. I think it may be the fruitiest smelling AIPA coming out of MI right now.

T - It's a bitter brew, believe me... it's right up there with Green Flash IPA. If you're into a huge IBU bitch slap, this is up your alley. Basically huge dry hops, with a massively bitter finish. The malt is very subdued and plays a miniscule role in the taste. It may come off a little less over the top on draft, but it's still awesome to have this in a bottle. Super dry finish.

M - Nice body, nice carbonation.

D - I can do one or two of these at home out of a bottle, and on draft I can normally drink them all night... until I'm stumbling, that is.

Notes: This translated relatively well into a bottle and I'm quite happy to now be able to go to the store and by sixxers of Huma Lupa :)

SaucyA, Mar 23, 2009
3.63/5  rDev -10.6%

Much thanks to dashirey for bringing a few bottles of this to Deuanes recent tasting party. Fresh from MI and poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my glass on 3/21/09. Appears a hazy golden yellow color with about a finger of off white head. The head leaves a nice lac on the inside of my glass with each sip. Smells and tastes of orange, pine, grapefruit pith/rind, essential orange oils, and very little caramel malt presence. Very bitter and medium bodied with moderate carbonation and a dry finish. Did I mention the bitterness of this beer? Despite the bitterness, it drank pretty god. I think I'll leave it on my wants list for now.

ClockworkOrange, Mar 23, 2009

Poured a nice dark golden pale and smelled strongly of citrusy hops. The taste was definitely more hops and finished with a solid bitterness. The mouthfeel was solid, medium-high but not so much that it lessened its drinkability, which was pretty high. Not too bitter and not too much alcohol. Overall a very good IPA. Another solid turnout from yet another solid Michigan brewery!

jeremyd365, Mar 23, 2009
4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

12oz. bottle into half pint, courtesy of dashirey.

A - Poured a clear golden/amber body with a tinge of haze, medium carbonation and a thin white head that receded to a patchy film and yielded minimal lacing.

S - Really fresh, hoppy nose with a dominant citrus character reeking of grapefruit. Malt definitely takes a back seat, but provides a light, sweet caramely aspect to the aroma.

T - Prevalent grapefruit presence with hints of pine and resin. Hops are balanced by sweet caramel malts. A slight burnt grainy malt character appears in the finish, providing an almost toasted aspect.

M - Medium body with an oily texture and pretty dry, aggressive hop finish.

D - It was nice to try something genuinely hoppy from Short's after the onslaught of stouts during our trip to the brewery last November. I found this to be quite hoppy for a straight-up IPA... so no complaints there!

ffejherb, Mar 22, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Thanks to Tyson for tossing this in as an extra in a recent trade. I barely had this beer 24 hours before I decided it was time.

Poured a cloudy, hazy light copper color. This beer is really cloudy, almost like a hefe. The small off white head retreats quickly into the brew. It leaves some decent lacing as I sip.

The smell is of piny hops, really strong and bitter. Not strong in a strong citrus, or piney way, just bitter strong. There are some pine and fruit notes in there, but they are really overpowered by the bitter.

The taste is of strong bittering hops, with really slight citrus. some pine in there as well. This is the taste of a really average IPA, In my opinion.

The Feel is pretty good, nice carb.

Overall, this is a beer I wouldn't say is bad, but I was very underwhelmed by my first Shorts Brew.

mikecharley, Mar 20, 2009
4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

To me, this beer is a cross between Bell's Hopslam and Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, which can't be a bad comparison. Great appearance, I can't even pour the entire 12 ounce bottle into my Sam Adams sensory glass, so I swig the last couple ounces from the bottle. Mmmmm, good !! I ask anyone who has tried Bells' Hopslam and Two-Hearted Ale, to try this Short's brew and see if maybe I'm not totally crazy. I am so happy I found this brew at the New Buffalo (MI) Pharmacy on March 14 and even happier I have a six pack to enjoy. This American IPA is totally opposite of the Arcadia English IPA I enjoyed to start my night of drinking. But if you have the chance to try either Short's Huma Lupa Liscious or Arcadia's IPA, I say go for it. Drinkability scores a bit down because at 7.0 ABV, I don't think I could handle any more than two of these -- well maybe threee -- in a sitting. Thanks Michigan, for some great brews!!

cadizkyguy, Mar 20, 2009
4.15/5  rDev +2.2%

A- A beautiful, creamy orange beer that seems very luminescent. The white head is thick and creamy.

S- Some pine, flowers, grapefruit, caramel, some spiciness. Very nice.

T- The pine and grapefruit are the showcases here along with the floral flavors. There is a nice caramel malt backing and a bit of earthiness.

M- Creamy at first, but a pretty bitter and dry aftertaste. Surprisingly bitter for an IPA.

D- Goes down pretty easy despite the ABV and the bitterness. A highly enjoyable beer that may be second only to Two Hearted for a Michigan IPA. I have always enjoyed this on tap and I love to see this in bottles.

david131, Mar 19, 2009
4.2/5  rDev +3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Marthas Vineyard in Grand Rapids, Mi during KBS 09

A: Pours a golden, darkish yellow with ¾ inch white, thick spongy head. Lacing is huge and drapes on the top of the glass on initial pour.

S: Light fruit and floral aroma. Nothing over powering. Fresh, but not overwhelming.

M/T: Very light body, sudsy carbonation, no real bite as it slides down the tongue. Huge bitter blast, followed by some citrus notes, finishing very hoppy. A heavy hop aftertaste, especially for single IPA. This is a little bit of a pallet killer and after the initial shock, it becomes more sessionable.

D: Solid beer, nice quality flavors. Good bitterness that is a little overwhelming at first, but seems to mellow out.

DrewOSU, Mar 19, 2009
3.9/5  rDev -3.9%

Picked up this morning while in Grand Rapids. Drinking fresh this evening at home 6 hours away.

Consumed in a Unibroue tulip glass. Light copper color with puffy, one-finger white head that falls leaving a solid white film on the glass.

Initial aroma is sweet and fruity with perhaps a touch of floral.

First couple of sips have what I consider a dirty finish. I prefer the clean, crisp finishing IPA's. A couple of sips later my mouth is acclimated to the flavor and it's drinking better (I'm drinking this after a Short's pale ale).

Yetiman420, Mar 15, 2009
4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

On draft at HopCatz. Golden amber in color with a sizable head. Smell is all hops. Resiny and floral. Right there with some of the better made IPA's. Mouthfeel was crisp and smooth for the amount of hops present. Really enjoyed the pint and didn't tire of drinking it. Very good.

FtownThrowDown, Mar 14, 2009
3.95/5  rDev -2.7%

Bottle courtesy of Hoppymeal, thanks man!

This beer poured a dark orange/gold color with a short lived 1 inch head. The aroma consisted of citrus and hops. I really liked the taste of this beer. It has a very nice bitter taste that lingers. A great brew that I would love to get my hands on again.

ROBORB, Mar 13, 2009
3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

I really like Shorts usually. This one, however, was not for me.

I had this at a new bar in Grand Rapids. The name was striking, so I ordered it. It came in a pint glass and was darker than I expected in an IPA. Dark, dark orange with an off-white head on it. Said head hung around awhile and left good, web-like traces of itself around the top of the glass. The scent was very fruity and piney. A little heavy on the grapefruit, which ended up being fairly good preparation for how this beer tastes.

At first sip, it tastes kind of how it smells: sour, pine and a bit oily - which isn't a bad thing. As soon as it has been in your mouth for half a second though, it turns into a bitter hop bomb. It is sort of akin to having some fresh cut grass in your mouth. There is a woody malt quality to it as it goes down but you have to be looking for it to see through the haze of bitterness accosting your palate.

I use the word accost but it is a mixed bag because I sometimes like a really hoppy IPA that just storms my mouth and takes no prisoners. In the case of Huma though, I feel like the bitterness has an unpleasant quality and really overstays its welcome. To me, it makes the beer taste too thick and makes me want another, less bitter IPA. On account, I would not have more than one of these. I don't find this beer unenjoyable and will definitely have it again sometime but I didn't like it as much as I wanted to and would never drink more than one. Although I should add that this takes your mouth hostage for a good fifteen minutes or more after the beer itself is long gone so you might have to drink nothing but HumaLupa.

If that was the plan, then bravo, Shorts!

Gigantis, Mar 09, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to Dave (d0b) for throwing one of these my way. Served in my trusty Surly pint glass.

A - One and a half fingers of blonde-white foam that dissipates slowly and leaves some nice but spotty lacing. Murky orange-gold color with some nice glow to it. Pretty standard looking IPA that could have used a little more volume.

S - Pretty potent - I could smell it a foot from the glass. Copious sweet citrus and tropical fruit flavors from the hops, but also a significant amount of caramel maltiness, which is surprisingly for such a fresh brew. There's also a little fresh-cut grass in there. Again, pretty good but unspectacular.

T - Bitter! Starts sweet enough, but morphs into a palate-busting hop monster. The first sensation is the sweet caramel and fruit flavors, but then it just hits you with hoppy bitterness and pine that sticks around long after you swallow. It's a mellower version of Kuhnhenn Extreme IPA in that sense.

M - Lots of active carbonation tingle - might be a bit to lively for me. Goes down pretty smooth and easy, and leaves a bit of cottonmouth to go with the residual oily hop resin.

D - This is pretty palate fatiguing but otherwise is pretty easy drinking for any lover of hops. ABV is hidden well, and carbonation isn't over the top.

It's a very good IPA for those in the mood for hoppy bitterness. Nice contrast to the other Michigan single IPAs, which are more tropical fruit-centric.

MasterSki, Mar 09, 2009
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

A: pours clear appealing amber orange with one inch white head

S: predominantly citrus hop aroma, some spicy notes as well. can smell gentle carmely sweetness from the malt

T: bitterness attacks the pallet, faint malty sweetness and some spicyness towards the back of the tongue

M: light to medium body with firm carbonation, lingering mouthfeel

D: Nice carbonation and lighter body combined with pleasant taste make this a fairly drinkable brew

lamarr04, Mar 07, 2009
4.47/5  rDev +10.1%

12 oz. bottle with no created on date punched.

Looks bottle-conditioned from the yeast on the bottom of the bottle. Pours an almost clear orange bronze with golden edges. Small, gauzy, lacy, off-white head. Very hoppy nose with appetizing doses of pineapple, resin, fresh pine sap, and citrus. Candied fruits and sweet malts chime in for some aromatic balance.

Taste follows the nose, with very fresh hop flavor right off the bat. Numbing herbal bitterness with equal parts pine sap and pineapple. Sugary cookie and fruit malt makes a brief appearance before the hop bitterness cranks it up into the finish. Some aspirin and raw hop bitterness show up in the end. Dry, lip-smacking finish. My tongue is comfortably numb. Medium-bodied with a creamy feel down the hatch. Nicely carbonated. If you like raw, dry-hop intensity, this is the beer for you!

alexgash, Mar 06, 2009
3.93/5  rDev -3.2%

Derek really took care of introducing me to Short's regular beers - thanks for another awesome extra!

A: Hazy because I couldn't wait for the sediment to settle out, this one is a gorgeous orange with a two-finger thick dense white head. Great retention, intricate spiderweb-like lacework.

S: Floral and citrus hops dominate the nose, with juicy oranges being predominant. Pretty darned big centennial aroma, I'd be surprised if Two Hearted wasn't the inspiration for this beer

T: Hop bitterness dominates to open things up with plenty of citrus bitterness with a moderate hop flavor to carry things through. Again, there's floral and citrus flavors on the palate. Malt is practically non-existent, this one finishes dry and pretty darned bitter

M: Light in body with soft carbonation, which only amplifies the perceived bitterness. Great finish, a touch too bitter, perhaps?

D: Enjoyable, but the balance between bittering and flavor hops is lacking, and this will keep me from drinking a whole sixer.

DefenCorps, Mar 06, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Color: sits clear burnt orange

Smell: great malt sweetness dominated by piney and citrusy hops.

Taste: great citrus and pine notes. even tugged a little at the glands behind my cheeks on the first sip. little bit of sweetness to round it out nicely. significantly dry, bitter finish

Mouthfeel: low-med body with decent amount of carbonation.

Notes: simply? superb IPA. it isnt anything special, so it didnt blow me out of the water, but as far as just a straight IPA goes, if youre looking for a good amount of bitterness, call this a job well done.

Frosty80, Mar 05, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked up a sixer of bottles today... Glad this is finally available in a bottle!

A- A clear golden color with about a finger width of white head. Lacing is spider web like.

S- Bursting with hops. Citrus and pineapple like in the nose.

T- A very unbalanced, delicious beer. Very much hop heavy with tones of fruity deliciousness. Citrus fruits, most noticably pineapple and grapefruit. Backend brings a bitter lingering taste in the mouth. Initially I did get a bit of a caramel malt, but it was immediately overpowered by the hops.

M- Light body, very bitter potent aftertaste.

D- Outstandingly drinkable... definitely sessionable. Thank you Short's for beginning to bottle this beauty. It'll become a regular in my rotation.

tadowdaddy, Mar 05, 2009
4.55/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

From some notes I quickly jotted down.

Small one-finger head with a little lacing. Very citrusy and floral. The nose is vibrant on this one. Slightly sweet malt and a dry finish with enormous hop flavor. Balance is toward the bitter end for an IPA.

Very good stuff. I hope to be able to purchase this in bottle form soon as it would be a welcome addition to my IPA rotation.

b3barron, Mar 02, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

Copper orange with a floral hoppy aroma and taste. Citrus and grapefruit flavors as well. A good balance as this is not overly bitter but very smooth and drinkable. Could qualify as a session beer. A very decent IPA.

webmanspidey, Feb 24, 2009
4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

A- A bit of a hazy golden/orange color. About a finger of white, creamy head. Really good lacing and decent head retention.

S- Very floral, a bit of a citrus bite to the edge, hoppy.

T- Very hoppy, a lot of grapefruit flavor comes through, piney, with a bit of a bitter finish at the end. Not overly bitter though, pretty well balanced. Extremely delicious IPA.

M- Pretty smooth, not overly carbonated. Light-medium body.

D- Pretty drinkable. I would definitely have drank another one of these, and I'm actually surprised I didn't. A definite recommendation for any IPA lover.

kbeals, Feb 15, 2009
4.33/5  rDev +6.7%

Draft @ Brew HaHa. A hazy copper/orange with a medium sudsy white head.Big grapefruit,orange zest aroma,some pine and floral notes too.Flavor is very fresh and crisp,bitter up front with a rye/pale sort of malt in the middle and bitter at the end,peppery,orangy. Nice lacing left down the glass.Very good all around,very flavorful and enjoyable.

WakeandBake, Jan 20, 2009