Follow our progress ...

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale | Short's Brewing Company

YOUR RATING = None |

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale AleShort's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale

Short's Brewing Company
Michigan, United States | website

Style: American IPA

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.

Added by arizcards on 06-13-2004

Reviews: 696 | Ratings: 2,109

WOW!!!! Outstanding, I cannot believe that I found a year round beer that tops bells 2 hearted ale. they're out there but very few, and very far between. New go to beer. Definitely tops last years hopslams, maybe not the hopslams from the year before, but WOW... I'm absolutely pissed I got a single and not a 6 pack.

I love IPA's they are easily my favorite type of beer. Huma-Lupa-licious is without a doubt in my top 3 beers ever. No need to go into detail about the details because for me its perfect. i have had this beer on tap and in a bottle and they are both amazing. If i had to find one thing wrong with this beer it could only be the cost (10.49+dep/tax), which is justified by its quality but i still would like it for less $.

4.97/5  rDev +23.6%

Here is another great reason to be in Michigan. This American IPA is one of the best and will challenge anything else I drink. The hops of this ale challenges the palate with strong full flavored herbal and citrus notes and becomes more complex and delicious with each drink. The aroma lingers in the mouth and nose and makes you want to drink more to see how the taste continues to deliver. Before this I believed the west coast was the only place that made exceptional APAs now I'm proud that this is made in my back yard. It will be hard to order anything else. Enjoy.

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

Special thanks to TheSevenduffs for saving me one. After smelling this I think he must have some strong will power to not drink it himself.

A- Dark peach pour, two finger soapy white head. Lacing is great.

S- Bright juicy grapefruit, mandarin and orange peel. Slight pine presence. Carmel in the background with a little candied sugar.

T- Carmel up front, sweet but not over powering. Mandarin oranges and grapefruit mingle together with bready sweet notes. Bitter finish that starts juicy and ends dry

M- medium bodied, perfect carbonation. Just feels perfect.

O- Smells amazing, tastes fantastic, perfectly balanced. Just an overall super beer. Super happy I got to enjoy this!

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

Served from a Short's growler on trbeer's porch July 25th (written from my notebook). The color was copper, with a foamy white head, leaving nice lacing. The smell was a strong grapefruity and piney hoppiness. The taste was a grapefruity and piney hoppiness, with a good resiny taste and very little malt shining through (not like it has to!)....just hops, hops, hops! Mouthfeel was a nice oily, resiny character. As for drinkability, this is a fantastic one that I would have many of!

Wow...thanks to trbeer for sharing this one with me!!! An IPA that stands up with Hop Wallop and Red Star's Formula 47 for sheer hop goodness!! I love the grapefruity hop flavor in the big double-ish IPA, and this is one (along with the others I've had at the SBF, though I didn't review) that makes me sad that it's 9 hours away!

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

Been grabbing multiple six packs of this on my Michigan vacations for the past 3 years. Can't believe I haven't formally reviewed it until now.

Aroma: Big citrus and piney American hop resins are in charge. Nice caramel and bready malt backbone. All American hops are up front and in charge here. Clean fermentation character.

Appearance: Slightly cloudy amber colored pour. Sticky white head. Moderate effervescence noted.

Flavor: Pleasant floral hop bitterness up front. Nice piney and resin hop character serves as the base. Bready and caramel malts fade in and out but balance is decidedly bitter. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with high carbonation. No slipperiness or alcohol heat.

Overall impression: One of my favorite American IPA's. You can have your West coast/East coast debate. The North coast rocks it in this department.

4.9/5  rDev +21.9%

From a bottle into a glass. $10.19 in Gaylord MI, Bottled on date 03/10/11 So its a couple of months old.

A- Nice. Golden color with a nice white fluffy head that almost overflowed the glass, but didnt end up leaving even after the last swallow was gone.

S- Huge. Lots of hops, lots of citrus.

T- Tons of hops citrus and pine that stick with you for a very lingering hoppy bitter finish.

M- Very big but really nice to drink. One of my favorites in the category.

O- This is a super beer i remember the first time that i ever drank it around 3 years ago it took me about 2 weeks to finish the 6 pack. Now i could drink all of them in one night.

4.87/5  rDev +21.1%

On tap at the brew pub.

A-Slightly hazed, brilliant golden copper with a thick off-white head that reduced to a thin cap that never went away and left copious lace.

S-A big fat smack of orange/nectarine citrus and pineapple. Nice combination of citrus, tropical fruits and some spiciness. Supporting, mildly sweet caramel malts offer just enough support.

T-KA-BOOM! Big time hop flavours going on! Citrus, tropical fruits, pine and an underlying spiciness. This one is all about the hops but has just enough sweet biscuit malt backing.

M-Medium-light body, sharp and crisp with long lasting hop bitterness.

D-This one is about as good as a well crafted hop bomb can be. I had been anxiously waiting to have this one fresh on tap--in NO WAY did it disappoint! I could drink this one ALL day. Well done Joe and the crew at Short's!

4.85/5  rDev +20.6%

The Huma-Lupa Licious IPA is easily one of the top 3 IPAs brewed in Michigan. My number one at the moment.

I have a 5-tap kegerator in my at-home tavern, and I am proud to have Huma-Lupa as my flagship Michigan beer. My hop-head wife and I are enjoying our fifth half barrel of HLL this year. This is one of the best session IPA's ever had in my 30+ years of drinking quality beers.

This is a consistently brewed beer. You can always count on the hops right up front. It has great mouth feel and is properly balanced with enough malt to not entirely overtake the beer with west coast hoppiness.

4.81/5  rDev +19.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer! Although I am sometimes turned off by heavily-hopped beers that don't have a good malt sweetness to balance the bitter, I am totally intrigued by the Huma. The exploding pine, citrus, grapefruit is so intense, and the bittering hops linger very pleasantly. Cheers to Short's, but please start distributing your goodness outside of Michigan.

4.79/5  rDev +19.2%

12oz bottle, poured into a Dogfish Head signature glass.

managed to get two bottles, thanks to @craftbeercellar.

A: poured vigorously. 1 finger white head, minimal lacing. organgish/red, much deeper than it looked during the pour.

S: whooooah, hops. smells just like cracking open a foil pack of fresh hops while homebrewing! traces of malt, but that nose of hops runs the show. not a hop bomb, though -- just a really pleasing smell.

T: all hops up front, bitterness and a bite in the middle leaves your taste buds and salivary glands on alert through the finish. mix of hops, definitely American... not quite the usual "C" hops, though. the label claims complex malt, but i just taste the malt as a supporting structure for the hops. good balance for a hoppy IPA.

M: low carbonation, would have expected a tad more. malt gives the right amount of body to make this an IPA, not a hoppy PA.

D: definitely could only handle one of these in a session. palate is left a bit blitzed (not from bitterness, though).

overall: great beer. tastes just like opening that packet of hops on brew day... mmm...

4.78/5  rDev +18.9%

This beer was one of my first craft experiences and I thought the industry was nuts! That was 2003 and I was not put off and allowed myself to experience some lighter beers.
Skipping through to now where I am craft only and an IPA lover this beer is top of my list. It is so well balanced as to not just have a hop presence for the sake of it. Its first taste is powerful but then a leveling off into a pleasant taste. The aroma is interesting and reminds you of the hops relation to "other" plants.

I cannot wait until bottles are out in May and I can drink it any time.

4.75/5  rDev +18.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on the patio at Legs Inn and the beer is every bit as good as the view. It’s all about the hops with citrusy resiny hop aromas lifting out of the glass as a hop hazed orange gold liquid rises under a thin white foam cap. Big malt holds together even bigger hops with a big citrus rind resiny herbal hop finish. Almost enough hops to enable you to walk without moving your feet.

4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

GREAT BEER. If you like hoppy beer this one is for you. Enjoyed it and will go out of my way to get it. Shorts Brewery does a lot of "interesting" with their beers. I enjoy this beer every time I drink it and recommended to anyone. As longs as the like a hoppy beer. Love the smell, appearance, and after taste.

4.73/5  rDev +17.7%

A great example of what an IPA should be.

A - Deep Gold in color with a 1 finger bubbly white head on it that leaves some good lacing on the glass.

S - The hops are very fragrant in this beer. They range from piney to grassy to grapefruity.

T - The taste is exceptional in this beer. The hops and the malt are very well balanced. It has a slightly sweet toffee-like malty flavor as well as a toasty malt flavor. This is accompanied by a stong hop bitterness.

M - Medium bodied.

O - Wow. What a great beer. Has a whallup of hop flavor and aroma, but it is balance well with the malt. I will definately be buying more of these. Now if only it didn't cost $14 a six pack.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

We recently began getting distro of Short's B.C. beers here in south-central PA & I am pretty excited about it! I have known those guys for years, between BA fests in BOS & my (usually) annual excursion to Madison, WI for the GTMW. I don't care if they are in bottles since I never expected them to come to me!

From the bottle: "A complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth"[.]"; "Handmade by people who care. (tm)"

This is my sixth bottle of theirs and I am really enjoying Pop!ping the caps! I have a local artist who makes all sorts of things out of spent caps & so I am putting the Short's caps aside especially for a clear resin coaster. In the interim, I employed a heavy-handed pour, creating three fingers of dense, rocky, French Vanilla-colored head with great retention. I watched in awe as it slid downwards, leaving heavy, sticky lacing in its wake. Color was Golden-Amber (SRM = > 5, < 7), which led to a visit from the Gelt Gang of Midas, Croesus & Mammon, all vying for a taste. Nose was deeply citrusy with loads of grapefruit notes, making my mouth water & reminding me that I am a self-described/avowed hophead. The monkey on my back does not screech & howl like he used to, but he is still there, giving me the occasional jones, like right now! Mouthfeel was medium. The theme park is now open! Malt?!? Yeah, if you say so! Man, this was like a hot shot of hops, mainlined & presented for my drinking pleasure! It is said that the critical mistake that many lapsed junkies make is returning to the same dosage at which they left off, usually leading to a fatal O.D. Not me, man! This perked me right up in ways that morning coffee can only dream. It was definitely hoppy with a grapefruit-citrus bitterness and a whole-flower freshness that is unbeatable! I listened as a server told a customer that she is not into this beer for all of the reasons that I just outlined. I simply smiled a sweet smile & promptly ordered one for myself. I have to say, between this one & Soft Parade, these were the causes of my excitement! The others are gravy on the biscuits, but those two drive the train. Finish was dry, bitter, flowery and everything that I want in an AIPA. Q: At what point WRT ABV does it become a DIPA? Curiosity is all.

4.72/5  rDev +17.4%

A- poured a slight amber golden color. the slightest off white thick foamy head. medium lacing.

S- just hops. earthy and citrusy

T- just how it smells but with a caramel malt backup blended just right.

M- medium light bodied. nice carbonation.

D- could try to drink a whole 6. on my 4th right now and feelin pretty good(abv).

Overall- this beer is how a michigan ipa should be made. this goes in the pack of bell's two hearted and dark horse's crooked tree even tho the crooked has more of a malt blend. if you're an ipa fan and like the bitterness you should totally try this brew.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

8-20-09
12oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a light orange. Nice 1.5" head with good retention and a lot of lacing.

S: Citrus, pineapple, carmel malt.

T: Smacks of citrus/pineapple at first sip, but more complex than that, nice spiciness at back end...I swear I get radish flavor for a second, long lasting finish. Nicely balanced by the malt flavor.

M: Body is medium with good carbonation. Good lingering bitterness with slight alch warming.

D: Great IPA, drinks very well in warm weather, right up there with the other great MI IPAs.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Pours very cloudy bright orange color with a massive 3 finger thick foamy head that looked like a cloud and faded slowly and left excellent sticky lacing and rings as it went down; a perfect looking IPA out of the bottle. There was a ton of sediment at the bottom of each bottle.

Smells of big hops up front, with floral hops, citrus hops, piney hops, pine cones, grapefruit, tangerine, caramel, sweet malt, grains and a sugary sweetness like brown sugar or candy like Fun Dip. Wow, the hops smell fresh picked like wet hops, and the sweet malts add nice balance.

Tastes very hoppy up front, and then the grains slide in for balance; flavors include floral hops, flowers, citrus hops, piney hops, pine cones, grapefruit, tangerine, orange peel, lemon, herbs, tea leaf, caramel, sweet malt, toasted grains, yeast and a very tasty sugary sweetness like brown sugar or Fruit Loops cereal; the grains and sweet malt tame the fresh hop oily flavor and make for a very smooth beer.

Mouthfeel is crisp, oily slick on the tongue, with high fizzy carbonation, a medium body and a sweet grainy finish that's slightly bitter like a grapefruit, and then it fades dry and clean.

A great beer from start to finish, this was an extremely pleasant surprise and a highly drinkable session beer that I will definitely seek out again. I am very impressed by Short's Brewing so far as the Ale La Reverend IPA was also an excellent beer. This beer was so good that 1 did not do the trick; I was so impressed that I drank 3 in a row. A damn good beer!

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

Mid-April '09 bottling - super fresh!

Pours a slightly hazy gorgeous copper orange with a mixed array of small & large bubbles forming a dense off-white 1" head. Dripping rings and sheets of lace all the way down.

Smell is heavenly; spicy & sweet juicy hops. Some pineapple & apricots dweel within the floral hop fest, but at a level that is just right - nothing overly sweet in this nose. If hops sweated, I'm convinced this is what it would smell like.

Beautifuly orchestrated hop ensemble caresses and bathes my mouth & tonuge with sheer delight. Imagine a grapfruit rind dusted with a pinch of powdered sugar and a smidge of pine sap, because that's what I'm tasting here. The spiciness of the hops provide a deeper dimension of bitterness, making way for the malts to showcase their delicate foundation. The sweetness in the nose is cut in half in the flavor, but that's a good thing. A more rustic hop production, rather than a fruit cockail syrup is what Huma Lup is all about.

The mouthfeel is a solid medium body with the finest playful carbonation I've ever had in an American IPA. It's airy, silky and just a tad oily with a somewhat spicy and chalky bitter flavorful long fininsh.

Drinkability is perfect. This is a complex and a simple beer all in itself. Match is with spicy and or bbq food anytime. By itself is a treat too.

Overall a perfect Midwestern IPA that all other non-coastal IPAs should be judge by IMHO. I'm proud to have this brewery in my home state as I'd call this my favorite Michigan IPA. Fresh is KEY though.

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Huma-Lupa-Licious is an IPA beer. This beer has alot of Hops in it.

7.7 % ABV
Dark golden yellow color
Smell: Fruity with the hops smell to it.
Taste: Hops with fruity taste
It is a smooth IPA beer
Overall a great IPA. If you like hoppy beer, than you will enjoy this beer!

Served on Tap

4.63/5  rDev +15.2%

Beer poured from bottle into Pint shaped glass

A - Body of the beer is a nice dark golden color; translucent; very, very active with bubbles; fantastic thick and solid white two finger rocky colored head formed; dissipated evenly and slowly and left behind a nice layer of sticky lacing on the glass

S - Nice citrus and pine hop blast to the nose; leaves a little bit of malt in the back of the smell, but my nose is still trying to get over the hop notes that hit it; some roasted and chocolaty malt scents; great scents

T - Wow! Hop bitterness all-around; I didn't even put the beer down and my mouth is screaming for something sweet; some nut - hazelnut is mixed in there; I also can't help but notice a slight taste of roasted malt or chocolate on the tongue and sides of the mouth

M - Retro-olfaction radiates bitter aftertaste and bitter mucus; frothy but very solid and well-built; nut flavors are also in the aftertaste

D - I really, really liked this beer; if you're a fan of IPA's, there is no reason why this isn't in your collection; great scents and a smooth, but harsh, hop flavor; packed with citrus pine notes that make your mouth crave for more hop flavored beer

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%

A very nice presentation in the glass. Nice citrus notes in the smell. The taste is an explosion of flavors. Exceptional hop taste that gives way to several flavors. The aftertaste is intense but pleasant. Though this beer is intense, I feel as though I could drink a few more.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pint on tap at HopCat in Grand Rapids.

Pours a lightly hazed copper golden orange, very nice, thick off white head forms, drops a nice ring around the glass, some real solid lace, very sticky, great retention. Smell is awesome, whole range of hop aromas, pine, floral, some grapefruit, after initial blast theres a very malty middle, caramel and biscuit, then sharp orange peel citrus acidity, very intense, beautiful stuff. Taste is similar, tons of resinous pine and grapefruit hop oils, really coating, nice malty backbone, biscuit and caramel, thick maltiness, more pine and grapefruit, floral, orange peel, very solid bitterness but perfectly balanced, insane good. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with low to medium carbonation, insanely smooth and drinkable. Perfectly balanced IPA, just great stuff.

4.62/5  rDev +14.9%

No enjoy by date on the bottle.
Slow pour into a standard pint glass.

A: It poured to a quarter-finger head that was light tan and disapated pretty quickly. The brew is a light copper clolor with an orange hue.

S: The aroma is very strong and robust. It consists of a strong pine with some citrus and a bit of malt sweetness.

T: It has a very robust and focused earthy hops bitterness. The malt does not come through very much, but there is just enough of it there to knock off the sharp edge of the bitterness. It is not very complex - just simple, straight forward, no nonsense bitterness.

M: This is a medium bodied beer with a clean finish.

0: An outstanding IPA. It has a great hops bitterness focus and does not try to balance with malt. The malts only job is to take off the really sharp edge of the bitterness. The alcohol is also very well hidden. (So be carefull.) A true all hops biterness, all the way though IPA. A hop heads' delight.

Short's Huma Lupa Licious India Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company