Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
Reviews: 652 | Hads: 1,864
4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

No freshness date. Received for the wife from abraxel. Cheers and thanks!

Served into a standard pint glass.

Has a near reddish yellow body, with a foamy cap and though it only reaches a solid finger of head, presents a nice smattering of lacing throughout.

Strong citrus fruit notes, a good malt base that comes off as a sweet candied orange zest.

Dang this baby is smooth. A moderate entrance, that comes off more malty than hoppy, but with a pleasant and well deserved kick of hops that crawls up the back of the tongue. Citrus, soft biscuit, some butter notes, all well played. Nice balance.

For what its worth, the beer is well made. Neither sticky, nor abrasive.

Dang good IPA. Wish we had this baby in Florida for sure. Gives Jai Alai a run for its money. Not saying its not "world class", just for a drinkable IPA, this one is hard to beat.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Great looking golden amber hue that's somewhat transparent. About a finger of head when it was poured, then dissipates down to a sticky froth. Great citrusy and piney smell from the hops. A dream to smell! A great malt backbone that has caramel notes, but also well balanced with the citrusy and piney hop bitterness. A true rollercoaster of malt and hops! It has a medium mouthfeel and it leaves the mouth a little dry. Overall, a great IPA, and one that I wouldn't hesitate to get again and again.

3.94/5  rDev -2.5%

I had this on tap, it was a deep ochre orange color with a white head. The aroma was very hoppy with a resiny character. The flavor was also hoppy but with a great deal of malt backbone. It had a sticky mouthfeel that was great in this beer. You could definitely sense the extra alcohol though. The beer didn't have a head that lasted, but that might have been the pour.

4.78/5  rDev +18.3%

This beer was one of my first craft experiences and I thought the industry was nuts! That was 2003 and I was not put off and allowed myself to experience some lighter beers.
Skipping through to now where I am craft only and an IPA lover this beer is top of my list. It is so well balanced as to not just have a hop presence for the sake of it. Its first taste is powerful but then a leveling off into a pleasant taste. The aroma is interesting and reminds you of the hops relation to "other" plants.

I cannot wait until bottles are out in May and I can drink it any time.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

To me, this beer is a cross between Bell's Hopslam and Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, which can't be a bad comparison. Great appearance, I can't even pour the entire 12 ounce bottle into my Sam Adams sensory glass, so I swig the last couple ounces from the bottle. Mmmmm, good !! I ask anyone who has tried Bells' Hopslam and Two-Hearted Ale, to try this Short's brew and see if maybe I'm not totally crazy. I am so happy I found this brew at the New Buffalo (MI) Pharmacy on March 14 and even happier I have a six pack to enjoy. This American IPA is totally opposite of the Arcadia English IPA I enjoyed to start my night of drinking. But if you have the chance to try either Short's Huma Lupa Liscious or Arcadia's IPA, I say go for it. Drinkability scores a bit down because at 7.0 ABV, I don't think I could handle any more than two of these -- well maybe threee -- in a sitting. Thanks Michigan, for some great brews!!

3.2/5  rDev -20.8%

Dense amber color with hints of cloudiness. Thick off-white persistent head. Distinct hoppy nose with strong pine forest notes with hints of citrus (grapefruit?) peel and pith. These notes are somewhat ephemeral and diminish if you let the glass sit. The beer has a medium body. On the palate the initial bitter notes were a bit on the feisty side. This also diminished, or was it acclimation and anosmia? I like bitter brews but found the initial bite rather strong and single layered. The hops camouflage any malty notes. The bitter notes linger and add to the moreishness of the beer. Additional sips do not quench this and the bitterness becomes a bit tiring. Evident Belgian lace. Very good palate cleanser and food accompaniment. I'd try it again.

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Orange-copper center that yellows on the edges. Fluffy two-finger head of off white foam that settles, but lasts. Liquid-y, foamy lacing.

S: Citrusy, grapefruit hops smell. Smells sticky and delicious. Some piney hints. Smell is definitely present, but not quite as full as it could be.

T: Sharp bitter center hits the tongue like a good IPA should. Taste isn't balanced much by malts, but that's not bad in my book. A bit of pine in the finish.

M: Sharp carbonation hits the front and sides of the tongue. The carbonation blast is followed by an exquisitely dry finish.

D: A delicious IPA worthy of trying out. Glad I'm up in Michigan from time to time so I can pick this up. Enough heft and body that it would be great any time of the year.

Served: in a faceted mug.

Review from notes taken on: 11/3/09.

4.23/5  rDev +4.7%

Served on-tap at the Old Chicago in Okemos, MI.

A huge 25 oz. mug of this bad boy. A lovely orange with white sudsy head that left webby lace.

Smelled strongly of citrusy hops as well as some pine. Let me know I was in for a strongly hoppy treat.

Taste: Strongly hoppy with sweet honey malts, pineapple hops, and citrus. Ended bitter and resiny. Yum. Reminded me of Majaraha. A wee bit on the bitter side for me, but hoppy and delicious.

MF and D) Sharp carbonation, tingly, medium body. Delicious and easy to drink. I actually guessed the alcohol was higher than it is, at 7-8%, but that was based on how I was feeling, not the presence of alcohol in the taste or feel.

A good MI IPA. I'll get it again.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Semi-cloudy copper color. Off-white fluffy head that a nice film of bubbles sitting on top of the beer once it disappeared. Left some sticky lacing on the glass.

Resiny smell of piney and earthy hops. Light malt aroma with a hint of lemongrass. Nothing incredibly complex in the nose, but very appealing.

Some sweet bready malts, but they're almost completely masked by the hops. Bitter citrus with pine and, well, more bitterness. The bitterness lingers in the back of the mouth.

Pretty creamy with a nice sharp finish. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Nice bitter IPA. Could use a tiny bit more malt to help back up the large amount of hops. Either way, a very enjoyable brew.

3.91/5  rDev -3.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle from a mixed Michigan six pack. I am not a huge fan of IPAs but I like this one. Clear golden orange color with thick white foamy head with tons of lacing. Very inviting appearance. Smell is of intense hops and pine. Taste is similar but also with a bit of citrus. Hops are strong up front but mellows out on the second half pleasantly. Alcohol is well hidden -- was surprised to see it's 7%. Could have a couple.

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

12 oz. bottle poured into a tulip

A- Pours a hazy, orange-amber with a 2 inch off white head that slowly fades leaving a nice lace.

S- Aromas of bitter citrus and pine are prominent. There is a very slight hint of malt but the hops take center stage.

T- A citrussy (grapefruit?) start followed by a very pronounced bitterness. I detect a slight bready flavor but it is overshadowed by the bitterness that commands me to keep sipping.

M- Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O- A very solid IPA. I wish this was distributed in Mass. so I can consume on a regular basis.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

12oz bottle, slightly chilled and poured into a Duvel tulip.
No bottle dates as is common with Shorts although I was assured it was from a fresh case.

Appearance- Pours a translucent golden amber colour with two fingers of nice fluffy white head that quickly dissipates to an above average ring around the glass leaving lots of sticky lacing throughout the glass till finish.

Smell- I don’t get much other than the pine and floral hop smells right of the bat, and some citrusy aromas thrown in there as well, with a finish of very mild bready malts just for good measure.

Taste- Very similar to the smell, you get a nice punch in the face from an intense hoppy pine flavour, grapefruit citrus taste is definitely present, and although it starts off very bitter from the hops it finishes almost sweet with a nice malty taste on the palate.

Mouthfeel – Light bodied but pretty much right on in terms of what an IPA should be, average carbonation leaves a nice little bubbly top right till the end. A bit bitter at first but does have an interesting sweet and malty finish.

Overall- A very solid offering from Shorts and right up there with some of the best IPA’s that I have tried. Personally I liked it and another one on the list of a hophead’s dreams, although it does definitely have an intense bitterness that not everyone will like or appreciate. I found it was balanced nicely by a bready malt flavour and almost sweet in the finish, while still being a very smooth and crisp IPA, would definitely pick up again.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Thanks to nappie for bringing me a sixer of this stuff.

Poured into tulip. A really clear copper with a consistent white, soapy head.

Nose has a big hop presence. Really citrusy with strong grapefruit. Malt smells slightly sweet.

Hops win out in the balance department. Nice citrus with a strong bitter finish. Malt backbone does enough to keep the hops from straying to far. I like when the hops are dominant so I find this to be quite drinkable. Good carbonation. Glad I was able to try this hop bomb. I've got to make it out to Michigan on the next beertrip.

4.62/5  rDev +14.4%

No enjoy by date on the bottle.
Slow pour into a standard pint glass.

A: It poured to a quarter-finger head that was light tan and disapated pretty quickly. The brew is a light copper clolor with an orange hue.

S: The aroma is very strong and robust. It consists of a strong pine with some citrus and a bit of malt sweetness.

T: It has a very robust and focused earthy hops bitterness. The malt does not come through very much, but there is just enough of it there to knock off the sharp edge of the bitterness. It is not very complex - just simple, straight forward, no nonsense bitterness.

M: This is a medium bodied beer with a clean finish.

0: An outstanding IPA. It has a great hops bitterness focus and does not try to balance with malt. The malts only job is to take off the really sharp edge of the bitterness. The alcohol is also very well hidden. (So be carefull.) A true all hops biterness, all the way though IPA. A hop heads' delight.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

I thought this was a great IPA. It just became available for our establishment to carry and the response has been exceptional.

Has a nice dry hop to it which is what i've come to look for in an IPA for my personal taste, truely is one of the better IPA's on the market available in a six pack.

3.71/5  rDev -8.2%

Bottle on May 8th, 2011 into tulip plastic glass.

Appearance: 4
Clear golden amber body with 1 inch white head that fades quickly into thin covering. Has good lacing.

Smell: 3.5
Notes of toffee malt and spicy, pine resin. Nice aroma, but not overly distinct.

Taste: 4
Main piney, resin flavors of hops predominate with good bitterness. Hint of marijuana stickiness to it, in a good way. Good presence of bready, toffee malt that becomes more notable as the beer warms. Overall, a well balance beer, but very

Mouthfeel: 3.5
Slightly thinner mouthfeel, with mild astringency from hops. A pleasant mild creaminess too.

Overall: 4
A solid IPA with a strong piney hop presences that is quite enjoyable. However, despite being an above average offering, it’s probably not something I’d really go out of my way to seek again. Still, worth trying if you can. Recommend if fresh.

I enjoyed this beer on tap at Hopcat.

It was served to me in a pint glass crowned with about half an inch of bone white head, most of which dissipates early on, but leaves considerable amounts of lacing behind, almost coating the side of the glass at first. Toward the end, the lacing weakens its grip. The color is that of a beautiful dark sunset orange, and hazy enough to prevent you from seeing through the glass.

The nose is comprised of readily detectable aromas of citrus and candied pineapple. It smells great, but the scent becomes more difficult to recognize the longer the beer sits here.

Bitterness and spice hit the tongue first, which gives way to earthy/piney notes that dominate the palate. Grapefruit lingers in the background. Pine is by far the most prevalent flavor at first. As it warms, the citrus comes out to play. Overall, I'd say the flavor profile is evenly split between pine and grapefruit. Very crisp. Very nice. This is a great example of an American IPA. The drinkability is about what you'd expect for a bitter IPA. For me, it's very drinkable because I love bitter IPAs.

Much respect for this brewery. I have loved almost every single one of their beers that I have tried, and Huma is definitely one of my favorites. Thank God that Short's has finally started bottling their brews so they can get the recognition they deserve from the craft beer community.

4.11/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA...
WOW another great IPA..bam to the mouth with flavor..
Grapefruit/Malt/Pine/did i say GRAPEFRUIT..
Fizzy, sharp, smart with a nice swallow and no linger of hops..
YUM and FUN!
I was the only one at a super bowl party that liked it...IPS Haterz!
Abv 6.9

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

One of four 12 oz Short's bottles I found in Chicago recently while in town. I was very lucky.

A - Pours a cloudy, glow-in-the-dark orange with a one finger head.

S - Bright, fresh, piney hops - very little malt presence.

T&M - This is the most impressive of the Short's lineup that I've had so far. Very nice blast of fresh, dry hop flavor on top of a light body. Carbonation fits well, and there is a lot more taste than I would expect from a normal IPA. Borders on unbalanced, but a hop-lover will enjoy the showcase.

D - Often as intensity of flavor increases, drinkability suffers. Not the case here. I am enjoying this one and wishing I had another.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

Carefully poured from a 12oz into a tulip.

A: Pours a clear golden yellow color with a white head that has left behind solid lacing.

S: Loads of citrus hops mostly grapefruit and orange. Sweet malt becomes stronger as the beer warms. Great strong nose with no

T: Tastes of pine and citrus mingle with a bready, malty sweetness; a familiar taste of yeast is also present. Strong bitter aftertaste.

M: This beer has a medium body with a fair amount of carbonation. Smooth with a bit of bite from the carbonation.

D: Good drinkability, but the lingering bitterness is almost too much... almost

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

Been looking forward to this one for a long time. Courtesy of glazeman.

A - Great looking IPA. Light burnt orange with a one finger head with little retention. Good lacing, particularly for a single IPA.

S - Citrus hops - oranges, lemon, and a hint of alcohol.

T - Pretty average tasting beer in my opinion. Oranges and apricots up front with a slight malt backbone. The malts are a little bit sugary, almost medicinal. Finishes quite bitter followed by a hint of nuttiness. The nutty finish became a bit more pronounced as the beer warmed. Letting this one warm up a bit is a good idea.

M - Decent mouthfeel - typical for an IPA. Good carbonation. Pretty thin, not too sticky.

D - Very drinkable beer. Not a whole lot of complexity going on with the smell or the taste. All in all, this is your typical IPA. But that being said, a typical IPA is better than what most people have in their mugs, so this is a beer I would try again if it's available. However, I wouldn't necessarily go out of my way to seek it out.

3.76/5  rDev -6.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

poured into a pint tumbler. fizzes quite a bit. head is big and fluffy. hazy amber. impressive retention.

smell is piney and peppery. rye grains and honey from the malts. rather underwhelming, however.

taste is wonderfully bitter. malty breads and caramel are balanced by acidic, biting hops at the back of the palate. finishes very dry.

mouthfeel is light and effervescent. carbonation is rather odd for the style; too much.

not the most drinkable IPA Ive ever had at 6.5%.

not my style of IPA, but a great try for hopheads.

Golden pour, little foam, decent lacing. Smells just like hopslam, what I would expect from a hop heavy beer like this. Taste was in a way similar to hopslam, though less balanced, though more bitter despite feeling as if it wasn't anymore hop heavy. Bitter aftertaste. Enjoyable though, as it is $5 cheaper than hopslam in my area. Don't have too much more to say about this beer other than its a solid, yet bitter, hop monster of a beer.

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is a bright amber hue, with a small amount of head that quickly dissipates. Great lacing on the side of the glass though.

Smell is strong, and dominated by pine and earth notes. Some sweetness as well.

Taste is very bitter, with the hop flavors (mostly pine, but some citrus as well) right at the center of it all. But there is a definitely some corresponding sweetness from the malts. I'm not 100% convinced this is an ideal balance, but if you love hops this beer is perfect.

Mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied, with lots of carbonation. The bitterness lingers.

Overall a solid IPA. The hop flavors are subtle, and less dominant than Founders Centennial IPA. But as the name and artwork suggest, the hop bitterness is the main attraction.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a murky light copper color. I wanted to say it was golden but it just wasn't that light. Fluffy head with good lacing on the sides. Aromas of fruity citrus with some pine and grass waft from my glass. Lemon flavors with an earthy finish. Slick body with slight carbonation and a dry earthy finish. This is a good IPA that is try to form as far as style goes. I could certainly drink a few of these.

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA from Short's Brewing Company