Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last
Reviews: 640 | Hads: 1,810
4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

The beer that got me into IPA's,

Smell: Pine, grapefruit and good weed. I've never picked up on the latter until recently.

Taste: Hops. The taste really grows on me from the beginning to the end no matter if I drink it out of a bottle or on-tap.

Overall, a fantastic IPA. Medium body but with a huge bite to it. This beer is definitely for the IPA lover. (403 characters)

3.88/5  rDev -4%

A- Slightly cloudy, golden brown or a dirty orange/gold.
S- citrusy and maybe a slight caramel
T- Completely follows the aroma, has a bittersweet taste kinda fruity and a very strong aftertaste. Quite Lingering
M- Crisp, medium carbonation, easy downfall with strong after feel.
*My overall is defiantly a thumbs up! well suited for different occasion (for the people who enjoy higher IBU) -very good IPA.
overall a good beer, I definitely enjoyed it! (456 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A hopped up kick to the moth. Very bitter, but full of flavor. If you love IPA's then give this beer a try. The hopiness/bitterness can be overpowering, one and done kind of beer. Love Shorts brewing company. blah blah vlah blah blah blah blah blah blah gsfnsfn (261 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

Looks golden and cloudy. Looks good to me, but I've never been that attracted to clarity.

Wonderful aroma, best part of the beer. Smells of sweet grapefruit and tangerine, and is overall quite perfumy and sweet smelling. A little bit of hop herbalness too. Definitely smells of fresh hops.

Tastes like a medley of citrus fruits intimated at by the smell, with a peach/mango undercurrent. Piney when I burp. There is a noticeable amount of general malt sweetness, but the hops are dominant leading to a bitter a dry finish.

Feels good in the mouth. Feels fairly light, but not thin.

I feel like if I had access to this beer, I could easily put down a few in a session. It has the right body, bitterness, and flavor to make it highly drinkable. Overall very impressive IPA. Thanks nickwin. (794 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -12.1%

This is a composite rating compiled from the couple times I bothered to take notes for this over the past few years. I would just like to put up here rather then in the notes that the 140 IBU rating in the description is incredibly misleading, this is less hoppy then two hearted or centennial both of which are around 70 IBU. Based on all the (I)IPAs I've had I would put this about 60 if I had to guess.

A - Pours a pleasant golden color with a rather quickly dissipating two finger white head. Surprisingly opaque for the lightness of the color.

S - Not much on the nose at first pass, perhaps a bit of general greenness.

T - The hops are certainly present as should be expected for an IPA with a name like this. There is a bit of malt presence but not a whole lot. The hops have a (not unpleasant) grassy / slightly-piney characteristic with a hint of lemon zest, although, the hops flavor is not quite on the level of Centennial/2H.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit fuller then filtered IPAs given the cloudy nature. Taste was not off at all so I'm just assuming its unfiltered/they bottle condition. Still light enough to be sessionable and it is relatively dry as a lot of IPAs are.

O - Certainly a decent IPA; I think in dryer (IPA wise) parts of the country this could easily beat the local offerings but being from Michigan and having access all of the time to brews like Two Hearted and Centennial makes me a bit pickier then most. I would put this in the high B+ category for Michigan made IPAs along with the likes of Mad Hatter from New Holland. Not bad by any means but the competition is tough in Michigan when it comes to standard IPAs. (1,650 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -6.7%

On tap at DTW airport in nonic pint glass - slight haze, but nice floral and spicy aroma. Taste is bitter and dry, but appropriate for style with pleasant mouthfeel. Light lacing and head retention - this may partially be due to how clean the glass was. No off flavors detected. Positive overall impression. (307 characters)

4.4/5  rDev +8.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Deliciously crisp IPA that offers a lot of floral citrus notes. It's quite bitter and perhaps a little less malty than some of the sweeter IPA's. This really allows the different flavors of the hops to shine through. (218 characters)

WOW!!!! Outstanding, I cannot believe that I found a year round beer that tops bells 2 hearted ale. they're out there but very few, and very far between. New go to beer. Definitely tops last years hopslams, maybe not the hopslams from the year before, but WOW... I'm absolutely pissed I got a single and not a 6 pack. (322 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +20%

The Huma-Lupa Licious IPA is easily one of the top 3 IPAs brewed in Michigan. My number one at the moment.

I have a 5-tap kegerator in my at-home tavern, and I am proud to have Huma-Lupa as my flagship Michigan beer. My hop-head wife and I are enjoying our fifth half barrel of HLL this year. This is one of the best session IPA's ever had in my 30+ years of drinking quality beers.

This is a consistently brewed beer. You can always count on the hops right up front. It has great mouth feel and is properly balanced with enough malt to not entirely overtake the beer with west coast hoppiness. (596 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -19.8%

Poured a beautifully promising amber color - some nice head at first, but that faded away quickly. Fresh, raw nose of some very American hops - big whiff of pine, bit of grapefruit, bit of citrus. Couldn't get any malt characteristics on the nose.

The taste matched the smell - the hops are HUGE on this one. The bottle says that it's a "complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth," but I think that the hops beat up the malt and hid it around back. It has a really wonderful hop profile - starts out sweet and fruity, transitions into grapefruit and pine and ends in a prolonged deep bitterness. Unfortunately, there's really no malt backbone to it, and I find the drinkability suffers because of that - the bitterness is wearing, and I'm just longing for a bit of malt to take off the edge. The mouthfeel is wonderful - thick and oily from the hops, and the carbonation is gently prickling.

All in all, there are so many other wonderful (and much more balanced) IPAs out there that really satisfy. If you really just love hops, here's a chance to taste them quite isolated. If you're looking for the whole package, look elsewhere. (1,137 characters)

4.12/5  rDev +2%

Very nice American IPA. Would be outstanding if the finish was not so dry. Pours a nice amber color, and provides a nice bitterness that you look for in an IPA. Worth checking out for sure...another great Michigan microbrew that can hang with the offerings from Bells and Founders. (281 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +4.5%

One of the better IPAs I've ever had.

Picked it up in Michigan since I don't get them in Illinois. No expiration date found on the bottle.

Not much malt in the aroma (no complaints there). Surprisingly low hops there, but still smells wonderful.

Beautiful amber color. Low head, minimal lacing. Very clear.

Great bitterness-not overly so like some IPAs. Must be some great malt backing it up. Lingering bitter aftertaste. Finishes dry, which I like.

Overall, I really like this beer. I think it's a great representation of the American IPA style. I would definitely buy it again. (586 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +11.1%

A - Has a dark hazy-golden tone, nice thick foam at the top (golden-ish)

S - Citrus, Spice, and Extremely Hoppy

T - Very complex with a strong Hops taste

M - Little carbonation

D - Very good IPA, Can barely finish a 6 pack but still a great beer. (251 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is the first time me drinking the Huma Lupa Licious. I picked a bottle up at Sicilianos in Grand Rapids, Michigan while making my own 6-pack. I have always preferred an IPA over about just anything. Although this is not on my best IPA list of 10, it is in the vicinity of about the 15th one.

A - A solid golden-orange color that has a quick dissipating head
S - A light citrus smell
T - A light taste of malt and a very strong hop presence is felt right away. Not enough to overwhelm but enough to know that there, the bitterness is very noticeable. This beer has double of some of my favorite IPA's
M - My tongue starts to tingle at first and then the taste of citrus comes in. A strong aftertaste of grapefruit remains in my mouth.
O - A very good IPA that holds its own to people who prefer the higher IBU rating. Not in the near future but I do see myself getting more of this beer. (894 characters)

firstprev| 576-600 | 601-625 | 626-650  | next → last