Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPAShort's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: arizcards on 06-13-2004

Named after the hop flower Humulus Lupulus, this India Pale Ale style beer has enormous amounts of hop bitterness, flavor and aroma. With a very complex malt bill, flavors seem to meld with the hops to balance this ale and provide a ridiculous urge to sample more.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 1,788 | Reviews: 654
4.97/5  rDev +22.4%

Here is another great reason to be in Michigan. This American IPA is one of the best and will challenge anything else I drink. The hops of this ale challenges the palate with strong full flavored herbal and citrus notes and becomes more complex and delicious with each drink. The aroma lingers in the mouth and nose and makes you want to drink more to see how the taste continues to deliver. Before this I believed the west coast was the only place that made exceptional APAs now I'm proud that this is made in my back yard. It will be hard to order anything else. Enjoy.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: pours a cloudy copper with an inch of head that dissipates quickly. Ambit of lacing on the top. Nice.

Smell: Hops and grapefruit are present on the nose.

Taste: if it were sweeter and had a higher ABV you think you were drinking an imperial IPA. Lots of west coast hops that last long past the swallow. Decent mouthfeel. This went down well with a couple of brauts.

Overall: i would have rated it higher if I liked hops more.

4.56/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Like it more than Centennial because best of Left Coast and East Coast IPA. Really like it.

4.67/5  rDev +15%

8-20-09
12oz. bottle poured into a goblet.

A: Pours a light orange. Nice 1.5" head with good retention and a lot of lacing.

S: Citrus, pineapple, carmel malt.

T: Smacks of citrus/pineapple at first sip, but more complex than that, nice spiciness at back end...I swear I get radish flavor for a second, long lasting finish. Nicely balanced by the malt flavor.

M: Body is medium with good carbonation. Good lingering bitterness with slight alch warming.

D: Great IPA, drinks very well in warm weather, right up there with the other great MI IPAs.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

12 oz. bottle from Woodchopper. pours a cloudy orange/amber with a lasting frothy white head. aroma is a nice mix of pine and grapefruit. flavor is pleasantly bitter with loads of pine, orange and grapefruit zest and an interesting sweet caramel backbone. medium to full bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. this is damn tasty! I need to find more.

4.81/5  rDev +18.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer! Although I am sometimes turned off by heavily-hopped beers that don't have a good malt sweetness to balance the bitter, I am totally intrigued by the Huma. The exploding pine, citrus, grapefruit is so intense, and the bittering hops linger very pleasantly. Cheers to Short's, but please start distributing your goodness outside of Michigan.

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Six pack of 12 oz. bottles purchased in Charlevoix, MI over Labor Day Weekend, 2009. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance:
Two finger head which dissipated within a couple minutes. Nice lacing. Light orange in color, I would estimate in the neighborhood of 9 SRM.

Smell:
Citrus, pineapple, and some sweetness. Not extremely fragrant, but still very pleasant.

Taste:
Starts with a mix of mild pine and citrus flavoring with a backbone of pale malt. Finish is piney bitter and VERY hop-forward. This beer places an emphasis on bittering hops over flavoring hops and malty sweetness. I feel it is approaching imbalanced, with a tongue bruising bitterness that overpowers the malty sweetness. Still enjoyable, but more one dimensional than I typically look for in an IPA.

Mouthfeel:
A bit on the thin side, but acceptable. Not as slick as I would like.

Drinkability:
One or two is plenty, primarily due to the slight imbalance between bitterness and sweetness. It's nowhere near a chore to drink, but after one or two my palate is ready for something a little more complex.

Overall a good IPA that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase again. Not mind blowing or style-defining, but if you like bitterness you'll enjoy this beer.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

A - Pours a copper/orange color with a 1-inch fluffy head. There is good retention and lacing on the glass.

S - There is a strong hop aroma. Citrus hops are really present. I can pick out oranges the most.

T - Again strong citrus hops. Oranges and maybe pineapple are present. There is a little bit of pine as well. The caramel malts really compliment the hops.

M - Perfect carbonation for a medium/light bodied brew.

D - Great drinkability. Perfect for this 85 degree weather in Michigan.

This was my first beer from Short's and I am glad I live in Michigan because I will definitely be buying more.

3.21/5  rDev -20.9%

Poured form a 12oz into a Tulip

A:Nice Brownish Orange color, fairly clear with the slightest of haze. Poured into a nice 2 finger creamy off white head that recedes slowly leaving thick lacing

S: faint Creamed corn, weird, but that is exactly what I smell. Not much floral or citrus hop character.

T: Sweet malt upfront, strong lingering bitterness on the back end. Slightest off flavor, tastes like plant matter, like when I dry hopped a homebrewed IPA for too long.

M: Smooth lingering mouthfeel with crisp carbonation

O: Above average IPA, though not something I will seek out over other examples of the style. Lacking the floral and citrus hop nose that I really look for.

4.09/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A very cloudy appearance with a dark-gold color. The pour makes a white 1 finger head. A very citrusy and a strong hop scent that resembles pine. Very bitter and sticks with you, defiantly an evening brew. The strong flavor and carbonation go hand in hand. Overall a great beer, and very well made. Unfortunly very similar to their "chatterbox" but I really enjoyed it!

4.73/5  rDev +16.5%

GREAT BEER. If you like hoppy beer this one is for you. Enjoyed it and will go out of my way to get it. Shorts Brewery does a lot of "interesting" with their beers. I enjoy this beer every time I drink it and recommended to anyone. As longs as the like a hoppy beer. Love the smell, appearance, and after taste.

I love IPA's they are easily my favorite type of beer. Huma-Lupa-licious is without a doubt in my top 3 beers ever. No need to go into detail about the details because for me its perfect. i have had this beer on tap and in a bottle and they are both amazing. If i had to find one thing wrong with this beer it could only be the cost (10.49+dep/tax), which is justified by its quality but i still would like it for less $.

4.25/5  rDev +4.7%

Can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet.

The beer that got me into IPA's,

Smell: Pine, grapefruit and good weed. I've never picked up on the latter until recently.

Taste: Hops. The taste really grows on me from the beginning to the end no matter if I drink it out of a bottle or on-tap.

Overall, a fantastic IPA. Medium body but with a huge bite to it. This beer is definitely for the IPA lover.

3.88/5  rDev -4.4%

A- Slightly cloudy, golden brown or a dirty orange/gold.
S- citrusy and maybe a slight caramel
T- Completely follows the aroma, has a bittersweet taste kinda fruity and a very strong aftertaste. Quite Lingering
M- Crisp, medium carbonation, easy downfall with strong after feel.
*My overall is defiantly a thumbs up! well suited for different occasion (for the people who enjoy higher IBU) -very good IPA.
overall a good beer, I definitely enjoyed it!

3.81/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A hopped up kick to the moth. Very bitter, but full of flavor. If you love IPA's then give this beer a try. The hopiness/bitterness can be overpowering, one and done kind of beer. Love Shorts brewing company. blah blah vlah blah blah blah blah blah blah gsfnsfn

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

Looks golden and cloudy. Looks good to me, but I've never been that attracted to clarity.

Wonderful aroma, best part of the beer. Smells of sweet grapefruit and tangerine, and is overall quite perfumy and sweet smelling. A little bit of hop herbalness too. Definitely smells of fresh hops.

Tastes like a medley of citrus fruits intimated at by the smell, with a peach/mango undercurrent. Piney when I burp. There is a noticeable amount of general malt sweetness, but the hops are dominant leading to a bitter a dry finish.

Feels good in the mouth. Feels fairly light, but not thin.

I feel like if I had access to this beer, I could easily put down a few in a session. It has the right body, bitterness, and flavor to make it highly drinkable. Overall very impressive IPA. Thanks nickwin.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

This is a composite rating compiled from the couple times I bothered to take notes for this over the past few years. I would just like to put up here rather then in the notes that the 140 IBU rating in the description is incredibly misleading, this is less hoppy then two hearted or centennial both of which are around 70 IBU. Based on all the (I)IPAs I've had I would put this about 60 if I had to guess.

A - Pours a pleasant golden color with a rather quickly dissipating two finger white head. Surprisingly opaque for the lightness of the color.

S - Not much on the nose at first pass, perhaps a bit of general greenness.

T - The hops are certainly present as should be expected for an IPA with a name like this. There is a bit of malt presence but not a whole lot. The hops have a (not unpleasant) grassy / slightly-piney characteristic with a hint of lemon zest, although, the hops flavor is not quite on the level of Centennial/2H.

M - Mouthfeel is a bit fuller then filtered IPAs given the cloudy nature. Taste was not off at all so I'm just assuming its unfiltered/they bottle condition. Still light enough to be sessionable and it is relatively dry as a lot of IPAs are.

O - Certainly a decent IPA; I think in dryer (IPA wise) parts of the country this could easily beat the local offerings but being from Michigan and having access all of the time to brews like Two Hearted and Centennial makes me a bit pickier then most. I would put this in the high B+ category for Michigan made IPAs along with the likes of Mad Hatter from New Holland. Not bad by any means but the competition is tough in Michigan when it comes to standard IPAs.

3.77/5  rDev -7.1%

On tap at DTW airport in nonic pint glass - slight haze, but nice floral and spicy aroma. Taste is bitter and dry, but appropriate for style with pleasant mouthfeel. Light lacing and head retention - this may partially be due to how clean the glass was. No off flavors detected. Positive overall impression.

4.4/5  rDev +8.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Deliciously crisp IPA that offers a lot of floral citrus notes. It's quite bitter and perhaps a little less malty than some of the sweeter IPA's. This really allows the different flavors of the hops to shine through.

WOW!!!! Outstanding, I cannot believe that I found a year round beer that tops bells 2 hearted ale. they're out there but very few, and very far between. New go to beer. Definitely tops last years hopslams, maybe not the hopslams from the year before, but WOW... I'm absolutely pissed I got a single and not a 6 pack.

4.85/5  rDev +19.5%

The Huma-Lupa Licious IPA is easily one of the top 3 IPAs brewed in Michigan. My number one at the moment.

I have a 5-tap kegerator in my at-home tavern, and I am proud to have Huma-Lupa as my flagship Michigan beer. My hop-head wife and I are enjoying our fifth half barrel of HLL this year. This is one of the best session IPA's ever had in my 30+ years of drinking quality beers.

This is a consistently brewed beer. You can always count on the hops right up front. It has great mouth feel and is properly balanced with enough malt to not entirely overtake the beer with west coast hoppiness.

3.24/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured a beautifully promising amber color - some nice head at first, but that faded away quickly. Fresh, raw nose of some very American hops - big whiff of pine, bit of grapefruit, bit of citrus. Couldn't get any malt characteristics on the nose.

The taste matched the smell - the hops are HUGE on this one. The bottle says that it's a "complex malt and hop theme park in your mouth," but I think that the hops beat up the malt and hid it around back. It has a really wonderful hop profile - starts out sweet and fruity, transitions into grapefruit and pine and ends in a prolonged deep bitterness. Unfortunately, there's really no malt backbone to it, and I find the drinkability suffers because of that - the bitterness is wearing, and I'm just longing for a bit of malt to take off the edge. The mouthfeel is wonderful - thick and oily from the hops, and the carbonation is gently prickling.

All in all, there are so many other wonderful (and much more balanced) IPAs out there that really satisfy. If you really just love hops, here's a chance to taste them quite isolated. If you're looking for the whole package, look elsewhere.

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Very nice American IPA. Would be outstanding if the finish was not so dry. Pours a nice amber color, and provides a nice bitterness that you look for in an IPA. Worth checking out for sure...another great Michigan microbrew that can hang with the offerings from Bells and Founders.

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%

One of the better IPAs I've ever had.

Picked it up in Michigan since I don't get them in Illinois. No expiration date found on the bottle.

Not much malt in the aroma (no complaints there). Surprisingly low hops there, but still smells wonderful.

Beautiful amber color. Low head, minimal lacing. Very clear.

Great bitterness-not overly so like some IPAs. Must be some great malt backing it up. Lingering bitter aftertaste. Finishes dry, which I like.

Overall, I really like this beer. I think it's a great representation of the American IPA style. I would definitely buy it again.

4.17/5  rDev +2.7%

so good that i don't think i'm gonna buy torpedo anymore.

Short's Huma-Lupa-Licious IPA from Short's Brewing Company