Short's Nicie Spicie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Nicie SpicieShort's Nicie Spicie

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Northern Michigan spiced wheat ale. A 50% mixture of premium two-row malted barley and malted white wheat makes golden wheat ale balanced with Ahtanum and Cascade hop varieties. This ale is spiced with fresh zest of lemon and orange rind, coriander, and black peppercorns
17.5 I.B.U.’s
2.8 deg. Plato
5.2% A.B.V.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-14-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Nicie Spicie Alström Bros
GRPunk

4.3/5  rDev +19.4%

Bottle poured into a weizen glass.

A- A gentle pour left a slightly hazy, golden-yellow body. A yeast pour really clouded it up. After both a gentle and a more aggressive pour on the second bottle, I only got about a 1/2-finger, white head that drops pretty quickly to a film. Carbonation was moderate. Sticky rings were quite good. Overall, nice body but disappointed with the head retention.

S- Lots of citrus initially (mostly lemon). Lighter, black pepper accents. Citrus turns a little toward a sour orange on further review. Peppery qualities are upped with a little warmth.

T- There's a nice interplay of citrus fruits. Lemon and orange combine and come off as a sour orange or nearly grapefruit-like. Pepper comes in just behind and really steps up with a little warmth. There's a toasted bread backbone. Citrus and pepper both come through the finish to leave a slightly puckering (though pleasant), clean end.

M- It's slightly grainy, which I call good for the wheat style. Lighter carbonation. There's a little citrus bite.

D- Great. The fruit and spice kind of land this beer between an American Wheat Ale (as described on the bottle) and a Saison. It reminds me a lot of a homebrew I've done a couple times based off of a Randy Mosher recipe for a Saison where I combine orange and grapefruit with grains of paradise. A good switch-up from a traditional APWA. Pleasantly surprised (as I took from the name that it might be more of a fall/winter spiced beer).

10-03-2010 18:59:59 | More by GRPunk
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.1/5  rDev +13.9%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

loving this one i had a soft spot for nice spiced beers and this one hit the spot for me. nice light brown pour fills the glass and leaves a nice and very sustainable top of light fizze head that gives it some nice depth.

the aroma is a very big blend, a kitchen since, or spice rack if you will as i am picking up copious notes of nutmeg, cinnamon, ample apple notes, brown sugar and touches of light citrus. at first you would not think this would work, but hell yeah it does. as i take the first sip I am struck by how well this is working for me. really nicely put together with light body that is crisp, clean and does wonders for keeping the large amount of flavor in check. starts with a healthy dose of citrus like flavors that roll into a spiced brown sugar and ends with a nutmeg and cinnamon led charge of nice spiced, holiday like flavor. smooth and dry finish with crisp cutoff only serves to perpetuate this.

overall this was beyond solid and something i was thrilled to be able to drink last night. hogged this whole bottle to myself.

10-03-2010 16:21:56 | More by mikesgroove
nickadams2

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

A_Hazy golden yellow with a thin white head. Not much lacing.

S_Citrus,peppercorns and coriander

T_Coriander and peppercorns upfront. Lemon zest and orange zest also come through.Very flavorful.

M_Thin and crisp. Refreshing.

D_Easily a good session beer. Perfect in hot weather.

10-03-2010 03:51:52 | More by nickadams2
Thorpe429

3.05/5  rDev -15.3%

Pours a medium brown with an off white head. Smell is initially quite odd; there's just so much going on and I'm not sure it really all fits together that well. The spices are together a nice touch, but I think the peppercorns get to be a bit of overkill. The hops are nice, though, and lend a nice touch in the flavor as well. The spices are a bit excessive there, and I find the pepper to be distracting (not nearly as good as it was in the Anniversary Ale 2009). Mouthfeel is a bit dry and spicy, and drinkability is really affected by all these factors.

09-24-2010 21:17:36 | More by Thorpe429
glid02

Georgia

3.68/5  rDev +2.2%

On-tap.

Pours a hazy golden color with a one-finger bright white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of muted light malts with moderate amounts of a combination of spices - white pepper, nutmeg, and coriander. Also present are mild amounts of wheat twang and floral hops that intensify as the beer warms.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Light malt flavors with mild amounts of wheat twang kick things off. Joining in shortly thereafter are muted spices - coriander mostly but with hints of clove and spicy hops. The spices fade out allowing the malt and wheat flavors to carry through to a mildly bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I had no problems finishing my glass and could have another.

Overall this was a good enough beer but all of the flavors seemed somewhat muted. Not worth seeking out but not worth avoiding either.

09-14-2010 22:51:44 | More by glid02
kzoobrew

3.98/5  rDev +10.6%

Golden hazed body capped by a two finger white head. Retention is nothing to write home about, razor thin cap is left with little lacing clinging to the glass.

Aroma is a pleasant blend of spices, citrus and grain. Coriander and peppercorns provide a large portion of the aroma. Orange citrus scent and a grainy, doughy malt settle in behind.

Flavor combines many of the same characteristic which were identified in the nose. Cascade and Ahtanum hops in combination with the lemon and orange zest provide a substantial citrus flavor. The peppercorn is a bit of the wildcard, lends a unique spiciness to beer. Heat from the pepper provides warmth without becoming too hot. Subtle malt contributions, just a bit of breadiness.

Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Finish is slightly dry though certain flavors tend to linger a bit.

I do enjoy this beer though it is not my favorite style. The flavors work well and are generally enjoyable. It would not be hard to enjoy a few of these in a sitting, though would not be my first choice. Personal preference aside, Nicie Spicie is a very well crafted beer.

09-05-2010 19:16:58 | More by kzoobrew
maximum12

2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks, yet again, to malty as I work my happy way through all of the Short's that's piled up in the fridge & cellar. Reading the ingredients & spicing in this one, I'm anticipating 100% bliss or a fragrant train wreck.

Pours like an old Shasta Cream Soda, cream y orange. The smell is a wheat ale that's been hollowed out & stuff with a handful of Christmas spices; I'd like to say I can pick them out individually, but no. Just smells like a full spice rack.

Nicie Spicie comes out of the gates like a wheat beer, grassy, waving, probably seeded out on top. Then the wave of spice obliterates the hint of light prairie. The peppercorns crest the tsunami, & do a number on whatever follows, muddling up the balance of the spicing into a muddy Christmas pie of overkill. Coriander eventually pops its head up briefly.

Well. This is a one-and-done for me. Appropriate to Christmas time, perhaps this should be repackaged as one of the hundreds of YuleTime brews that seem to appear each year in Nov-Dec. This beer, well, I'm not a fan. The spicing is harsh & biting, where I prefer subtlety, & the wheat beer underneath is just about completely lost in the madness. Worth a try, but doesn't rise above the pack of spiced beers on steroids.

09-05-2010 01:54:00 | More by maximum12
enfield249

3.85/5  rDev +6.9%

A - Pours a cloudy orange gold. No head to speak of, with a slight ring of foam.

S - Not much to speak off, but very sweet with a hint of spice.

T- The first flavor is a nice grainy flavor, followed by orange that fades to spice, and leaves sweet.

M - Light to medium, with very little CO2.

D - A very drinkable spiced ale.

09-04-2010 19:33:09 | More by enfield249
zoso1967

3.33/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nicie pours a slightly cloudy golden color and has a bright white head. Unfortunately the head is pretty meager, along with the carbonation, but it does leave pretty decent lace.

The aroma is decidedly spice cabinet-esc. Black and white pepper are the main components. I am also picking up on another something something, but cannot discern exactly what it is. If I close my eyes and concentrate deeply I can smell some tart wheat in there.

The flavor is a bit more distinct than the aroma. Tart wheat malt blends with black and white peppercorns, coriander and some zesty citrus flavors. This beer has a very nice sweetness to it that does a good job of balancing both the tartness from the wheat and also the crazy amount of pepper. I had this on tap once and thought it was okay, but it seems a bit more toned down in the bottle and I am actually finding it quite enjoyable. I really wish I had some popcorn right now. Damn it!

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a subdued carbonation. I am glad it is not overly carbonated, because I think that would make the pepper seem even more out of control.

Nicie Spicie is a beer that is very polarizing, and I am wrestling with the drinkability score. This is a beer that, for me at least, is good on certain occasions but not all the time, and even when it is good I am not sure I could have more than one or two. That being said, it is a very creative brew from a very creative brewer.

09-04-2010 01:22:51 | More by zoso1967
glazeman

2.8/5  rDev -22.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle into a snifter

A: Golden straw color with a ½ finger white head. Not all that good of head retention, and not that good of lacing

S: Lemons and wheat are the dominant smells of this beer. Refreshing smell, though nothing special.

T: So, this is definitely a flavorful beer, the problem is that the flavors are a bit overwhelming, not that cohesive and not that refreshing. Take something like a Hacker-Pschor Weisse (spelling) and distill it down a bit to concentrate some of the flavors and that is what this is like. The problem is that Hacker is much better than this just the way it is. The main flavors in this are orange, lemon, and a bit of pepper at the finish.

M: About average for a wheat beer. Perhaps a bit under-carbonated for my liking though.

D: Not as good of drinkability as your average wheat beer. I would rather have something else if I was in the mood for a wheat beer on a hot summer day.

08-31-2010 18:31:06 | More by glazeman
a74gent

3.53/5  rDev -1.9%

Review based on notes of 8/4/10 drink

I can't specifically place any of the spices in this one. There are some unusual flavors and spices, but nothing I'd call overly good. Very little foam and quite an empty mouthfeel. Lots of other beers would make me pass this one by for a casual drink.

08-30-2010 00:41:09 | More by a74gent
SAxDRC5

2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

A- golden yellow color. Tiny head (that's what she said?), no lacing.

S- Citrus and coriander. Maybe a hint of peppercorn

T- Tastes alot like it smelled. The citrus, I think, is Bergamot orange, the same fruit used in Earl Grey tea. Finishes with a spicy peppercorn flavor. Kinda tastes like a wheat beer...maybe? This beer actually reminds me a lot of earl grey.

M- Thin, not as carbonated as I would expect.

D- Not my thing. I finished one, mostly because I didn't want to waste it; there are sober kids in India.

08-28-2010 04:52:19 | More by SAxDRC5
StoutHunter

4.15/5  rDev +15.3%

Picked up a six pack of this the other say since it was a seasonal i have yet to try from shorts and because shorts kicks ass.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a 5 ounce sampling mug.

A- poured a hazy golden straw, with a very small amount of head that quickly dissipated.

S- This one smells pretty citrusy, wasn't expecting that. Coriander also has a big presence. Smells like a blue moon on steroids.

T- This is where the spices come through, spicy with some orange citrus flavor, followed by a salty peppercorn aftertaste blended with some hops.

M- Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

D- I find this beer to be pretty refreshing and a very good dinner beer, but i wouldn't drink more then two in a sitting.

Overall i i thought this was a very different and well done beer that i hope to get another six pack of before they are gone. keep up the good work shorts, you guys are on another level.

08-26-2010 02:47:38 | More by StoutHunter
JordanEllwanger

4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

A cloudy straw yellow with a faint almost nonexistent head. A thin creamy layer of sediment lays across the bottom of the bottle. The sent is very citrus backed by hop tang. The coriander comes out in the taste, which is very palatable and clean for all the spice and citrus flavors. As all the other Short's I have tried this has such a clean feel. Cheers!

08-24-2010 04:29:50 | More by JordanEllwanger
malty

3.88/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured into my nonic pint glass a faded gold color with a creamy settled 1/4" head. Some visible uprising carbonation, but no a lot. Not as much lacing as what I'm used to from Short's ales.

A unique mixture of orange zest and peppercorn scents immediately register. I swirl the glass and draw nearer to depict an mineral scent that's kinda like well water, but without the eggy-sulfur scent. It's difficult for me to pinpoint it, but it smells very similar to the well water we used to draw from the Mackinac City campground when I was a wee lad. Anyway, I'm sure that didn't help, but whatever.

A perfectly hit of peppercorn greets my palate straight outta the gate. Also, the citrus zest is still at an ample level as well. Basically tastes a lot like it smells. The citrus does blossom more as the beer warms, giving it a tarter and more lush taste.

Mouthfeel is great. Between med. & light bodied with a slightly chalky/tart/spicy flavorful finish. Carbonation is fine and a little less than moderate.

Drinkability is relatively good. Due to the spiced nature of the beer, one is good enough for me. But paired with some lemon pepper chicken/fish, I'd be willing to bet I'd drink 3 or 4 of these.

Overall another unique and focused concoction from the mad minds of Short's. It was very satisfying on this 78F breezy summer afternoon. Definitely one to try before you knock it. I'm glad I did.

08-22-2010 20:06:20 | More by malty
techfed87

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Pours a nice sized head. Color is a fairly cloudy amber.

Smell is very..spicy? It' got an almost clove like quality to it, which I'm digging.

First sip is definitely yum. This reminds me of Oberon, one of my other favorite wheat beers, except this one has some additional ingredients added in. It really compliments the body of the beer, giving it a very rewarding mouthfeel.

I'm really amazed at the rate that Shorts is putting out more beers into bottled production. This is another of their best.

08-21-2010 00:13:35 | More by techfed87
bierenutz

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

A-Pours a murky golden color with smallish head and no lacing.
S-Citrus mostly lemon, and coriander with just a hint of sourness. It's hard to get much more as the coriander is a bit overpowering.
T-Tastes alot like it smelled with alot of lemon and some orange flavors and coriander. The finish is where, I guess, the "spicie" comes in with some peppery zip to it which lingers a bit in the aftertaste.
M-A little thin but not with a flat feeling and mild to moderate carbonation.
D-It is drinkable but I think you have to be a fan of these paired up flavors. I would classify this as a fairly good change of pace type of beer.

08-13-2010 01:47:55 | More by bierenutz
Mitchster

4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

My favorite beer from Short's Lineup. I was very eager to try it out in bottle, as unfortunately, I've been disappointed with their early bottled offerings compared to their stellar tap brews.

Pours out to a lightly hazy, but not cloudy, medium golden with orange accents, forming a small white head despite a vigorous pour, with poor retention and minimal lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is quite good, but not as potent as the top offering, with orange and pepper, pale malts, malt husk, coriander, and what smells like the Oberon yeast strain (Wyeast American Ale?). The mouthfeel is very smooth, with an invigorating peppery bite, which I absolutely love. The taste opens with a smooth pale malt backbone with a well balanced sweetness riding atop orange, coriander and pepper. I don't really pick up on the lemon zest. The finish is quenching and just makes you want to drink more. This is an amazingly sessionable beer. I could easily put six of these away. Highly recommended, but even more delicious on tap.

08-12-2010 21:45:49 | More by Mitchster
kbeals

3.23/5  rDev -10.3%

A- Pours a bright orange with a cap of white head about a finger tall. Head dies down pretty quickly. Result: no lacing. This could be partly due to the weather also.

S- Quite a bit of citrus and lemon. Everything shows up that they advertise on it including the pepper and coriander. It hasa bit of a funk to it though, it might be from the coriander.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma, but I'm just not real turned on by the different flavors. I'm thinking it's the coriander that I'm not enjoying.

M- Light/medium body with good doses of carbonation.

D- The taste and smell didn't really do it for me. This isn't a horrible beer by any means, and I think they accomplished what they wanted to, but it doesn't really work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

08-11-2010 12:35:54 | More by kbeals
hosehead83

4.25/5  rDev +18.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Burnt-orange in color, with a rather short head of white foam
Aroma-Orange and lemon zest and definite pepper notes
Taste-Spicy, orange and lemon notes, and a long undercurrent of peppercorn, that imparts a spicy warmth that is pleasant, not overpowering.
Overall, peppery, spicy and certainly refreshing. Would be a nice match for a zesty Italian or Greek salad.

08-09-2010 14:04:10 | More by hosehead83
alexgash

Connecticut

3.2/5  rDev -11.1%

12 oz. bottle.

Very pleasant, lightly cloudy golden lemonade body. Small, gauzy, eggshell white head. Minor lacing. Spicy nose, with notes of lemon zest, grapefruit, coriander, and clove. The spices cover up subtle bread and yeast notes.

Soft wheat and fruity yeast up front. Citrus and spice come on strong mid-palate. Clove and coriander play off of fresh lemon and grapefruit zest. The acidity of the citrus works nicely with the soft, bready wheat. I'm not crazy about the coriander though. Also a bit of pepper in the finish that doesn't help much. Very grapefruity (but not bitter) in the finish. Medium body with a sparkling feel. Not bad, but definitely not my favorite Short's brew.

08-05-2010 23:28:01 | More by alexgash
WeisGuy

3.65/5  rDev +1.4%

a - pours a bright golden amber color, pretty hazy, smallish white head with retention around the edges only, very light lacing, lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top throughout the session

s - coriander and lemon zest dominate the nose, lighter notes of bready malt, orange and strawberry, the black peppercorns are hardly noticeable in the aroma

t - like the aroma, coriander and sweet lemon are the dominant flavors, up front the lemon and orange zest are evident, coriander hits in the midpalate and rides right through to the finish, lingering on the palate well after swallowing, nice citrus on the finish with lighter notes of black pepper, yeasty and bready flavors present throughout as well, alcohol is well hidden

m - light-bodied with moderate to slightly high carbonation, fairly sweet finish, no alcohol warming

d - while the coriander isn't quite as dominant when you get into the glass a bit, but it does get a bit tiring towards the end, otherwise, a very refreshing beer that has enough complexity to make it interesting, alcohol isn't an issue

I liked this more as it warmed up slightly, but it's still not one of my favorite Short's offerings. I think it would suit my palate better if the coriander was dialed back a bit. Nice beer, however, and one I wouldn't mind revisiting again in the future.

08-01-2010 19:38:46 | More by WeisGuy
BMoney575

3.55/5  rDev -1.4%

Sampled on 7-31-10

Pours a cloudy orange/brown color, with almost no head and the thinnest ring of lacing possible. Looks very sticky.

Smell is all coriander, with lots of spicy citrus coming in next, and a peppery, herbal finish. Sweet and lsightly bready like a witbier, but a little too spicy to be called one.

Taste is all orange and lemon, very tart and clean. The citrus overwhelms almost anything else, leaving a peppery finish and bready wheat aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is decent, but thinner than I expected. The mouthfeel makes the lemon flavors that much more cleaning product-esque.

Drinkability is decent, the tart citrus helps the sweetness and adds a nice balance. The flavors are a bit one dimensional, though.

Overall, not my favorite beer from Short's but try it if you can.

07-31-2010 19:39:37 | More by BMoney575
LoblawBeer

3.7/5  rDev +2.8%

A - This beer by Short's pours a pumpkin-like orange with a quick, fizzing head. Overall, it looks like a standard wheat beer.

S - The smell of coriander is slightly overpowering.

T - The initial taste is a strong combination of orange citrus and coriander. As you begin to swallow, the pepper starts to wake up. The pepper taste lingers and gently fizzes on the tongue.

M/F - The pepper does it for me

D - Great flavor. Easy to drink.

07-29-2010 00:12:53 | More by LoblawBeer
david131

3.58/5  rDev -0.6%

A- A hazy orange/ yellow liquid with an almost non-existent white head.

S- Pepper, citrus rind, and coriander. Pungent and aromatic. A little heavy on the pepper which is not that appealing to me.

T- Pepper, flowers, citrus rind, and coriander. This is not nearly as potent as the aroma lead me to believe. Has a smoky potpourri aspect to it.

M- Smooth with a bit of a carbonation/ peppery bite at the end.

D- Unique to say the least. I would not want more than one of these, but it is worth a try.

07-27-2010 03:36:51 | More by david131