Short's Nicie Spicie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Nicie SpicieShort's Nicie Spicie

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Northern Michigan spiced wheat ale. A 50% mixture of premium two-row malted barley and malted white wheat makes golden wheat ale balanced with Ahtanum and Cascade hop varieties. This ale is spiced with fresh zest of lemon and orange rind, coriander, and black peppercorns
17.5 I.B.U.’s
2.8 deg. Plato
5.2% A.B.V.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-14-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Nicie Spicie Alström Bros
2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

Thanks, yet again, to malty as I work my happy way through all of the Short's that's piled up in the fridge & cellar. Reading the ingredients & spicing in this one, I'm anticipating 100% bliss or a fragrant train wreck.

Pours like an old Shasta Cream Soda, cream y orange. The smell is a wheat ale that's been hollowed out & stuff with a handful of Christmas spices; I'd like to say I can pick them out individually, but no. Just smells like a full spice rack.

Nicie Spicie comes out of the gates like a wheat beer, grassy, waving, probably seeded out on top. Then the wave of spice obliterates the hint of light prairie. The peppercorns crest the tsunami, & do a number on whatever follows, muddling up the balance of the spicing into a muddy Christmas pie of overkill. Coriander eventually pops its head up briefly.

Well. This is a one-and-done for me. Appropriate to Christmas time, perhaps this should be repackaged as one of the hundreds of YuleTime brews that seem to appear each year in Nov-Dec. This beer, well, I'm not a fan. The spicing is harsh & biting, where I prefer subtlety, & the wheat beer underneath is just about completely lost in the madness. Worth a try, but doesn't rise above the pack of spiced beers on steroids.

3.85/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Pours a cloudy orange gold. No head to speak of, with a slight ring of foam.

S - Not much to speak off, but very sweet with a hint of spice.

T- The first flavor is a nice grainy flavor, followed by orange that fades to spice, and leaves sweet.

M - Light to medium, with very little CO2.

D - A very drinkable spiced ale.

3.33/5  rDev -7.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Nicie pours a slightly cloudy golden color and has a bright white head. Unfortunately the head is pretty meager, along with the carbonation, but it does leave pretty decent lace.

The aroma is decidedly spice cabinet-esc. Black and white pepper are the main components. I am also picking up on another something something, but cannot discern exactly what it is. If I close my eyes and concentrate deeply I can smell some tart wheat in there.

The flavor is a bit more distinct than the aroma. Tart wheat malt blends with black and white peppercorns, coriander and some zesty citrus flavors. This beer has a very nice sweetness to it that does a good job of balancing both the tartness from the wheat and also the crazy amount of pepper. I had this on tap once and thought it was okay, but it seems a bit more toned down in the bottle and I am actually finding it quite enjoyable. I really wish I had some popcorn right now. Damn it!

The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium with a subdued carbonation. I am glad it is not overly carbonated, because I think that would make the pepper seem even more out of control.

Nicie Spicie is a beer that is very polarizing, and I am wrestling with the drinkability score. This is a beer that, for me at least, is good on certain occasions but not all the time, and even when it is good I am not sure I could have more than one or two. That being said, it is a very creative brew from a very creative brewer.

2.8/5  rDev -22%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12 ounce bottle into a snifter

A: Golden straw color with a ½ finger white head. Not all that good of head retention, and not that good of lacing

S: Lemons and wheat are the dominant smells of this beer. Refreshing smell, though nothing special.

T: So, this is definitely a flavorful beer, the problem is that the flavors are a bit overwhelming, not that cohesive and not that refreshing. Take something like a Hacker-Pschor Weisse (spelling) and distill it down a bit to concentrate some of the flavors and that is what this is like. The problem is that Hacker is much better than this just the way it is. The main flavors in this are orange, lemon, and a bit of pepper at the finish.

M: About average for a wheat beer. Perhaps a bit under-carbonated for my liking though.

D: Not as good of drinkability as your average wheat beer. I would rather have something else if I was in the mood for a wheat beer on a hot summer day.

3.53/5  rDev -1.7%

Review based on notes of 8/4/10 drink

I can't specifically place any of the spices in this one. There are some unusual flavors and spices, but nothing I'd call overly good. Very little foam and quite an empty mouthfeel. Lots of other beers would make me pass this one by for a casual drink.

2.83/5  rDev -21.2%

A- golden yellow color. Tiny head (that's what she said?), no lacing.

S- Citrus and coriander. Maybe a hint of peppercorn

T- Tastes alot like it smelled. The citrus, I think, is Bergamot orange, the same fruit used in Earl Grey tea. Finishes with a spicy peppercorn flavor. Kinda tastes like a wheat beer...maybe? This beer actually reminds me a lot of earl grey.

M- Thin, not as carbonated as I would expect.

D- Not my thing. I finished one, mostly because I didn't want to waste it; there are sober kids in India.

4.15/5  rDev +15.6%

Picked up a six pack of this the other say since it was a seasonal i have yet to try from shorts and because shorts kicks ass.
Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a 5 ounce sampling mug.

A- poured a hazy golden straw, with a very small amount of head that quickly dissipated.

S- This one smells pretty citrusy, wasn't expecting that. Coriander also has a big presence. Smells like a blue moon on steroids.

T- This is where the spices come through, spicy with some orange citrus flavor, followed by a salty peppercorn aftertaste blended with some hops.

M- Medium bodied with just the right amount of carbonation.

D- I find this beer to be pretty refreshing and a very good dinner beer, but i wouldn't drink more then two in a sitting.

Overall i i thought this was a very different and well done beer that i hope to get another six pack of before they are gone. keep up the good work shorts, you guys are on another level.

4.22/5  rDev +17.5%

A cloudy straw yellow with a faint almost nonexistent head. A thin creamy layer of sediment lays across the bottom of the bottle. The sent is very citrus backed by hop tang. The coriander comes out in the taste, which is very palatable and clean for all the spice and citrus flavors. As all the other Short's I have tried this has such a clean feel. Cheers!

3.88/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured into my nonic pint glass a faded gold color with a creamy settled 1/4" head. Some visible uprising carbonation, but no a lot. Not as much lacing as what I'm used to from Short's ales.

A unique mixture of orange zest and peppercorn scents immediately register. I swirl the glass and draw nearer to depict an mineral scent that's kinda like well water, but without the eggy-sulfur scent. It's difficult for me to pinpoint it, but it smells very similar to the well water we used to draw from the Mackinac City campground when I was a wee lad. Anyway, I'm sure that didn't help, but whatever.

A perfectly hit of peppercorn greets my palate straight outta the gate. Also, the citrus zest is still at an ample level as well. Basically tastes a lot like it smells. The citrus does blossom more as the beer warms, giving it a tarter and more lush taste.

Mouthfeel is great. Between med. & light bodied with a slightly chalky/tart/spicy flavorful finish. Carbonation is fine and a little less than moderate.

Drinkability is relatively good. Due to the spiced nature of the beer, one is good enough for me. But paired with some lemon pepper chicken/fish, I'd be willing to bet I'd drink 3 or 4 of these.

Overall another unique and focused concoction from the mad minds of Short's. It was very satisfying on this 78F breezy summer afternoon. Definitely one to try before you knock it. I'm glad I did.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

Pours a nice sized head. Color is a fairly cloudy amber.

Smell is very..spicy? It' got an almost clove like quality to it, which I'm digging.

First sip is definitely yum. This reminds me of Oberon, one of my other favorite wheat beers, except this one has some additional ingredients added in. It really compliments the body of the beer, giving it a very rewarding mouthfeel.

I'm really amazed at the rate that Shorts is putting out more beers into bottled production. This is another of their best.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

A-Pours a murky golden color with smallish head and no lacing.
S-Citrus mostly lemon, and coriander with just a hint of sourness. It's hard to get much more as the coriander is a bit overpowering.
T-Tastes alot like it smelled with alot of lemon and some orange flavors and coriander. The finish is where, I guess, the "spicie" comes in with some peppery zip to it which lingers a bit in the aftertaste.
M-A little thin but not with a flat feeling and mild to moderate carbonation.
D-It is drinkable but I think you have to be a fan of these paired up flavors. I would classify this as a fairly good change of pace type of beer.

4.2/5  rDev +17%

My favorite beer from Short's Lineup. I was very eager to try it out in bottle, as unfortunately, I've been disappointed with their early bottled offerings compared to their stellar tap brews.

Pours out to a lightly hazy, but not cloudy, medium golden with orange accents, forming a small white head despite a vigorous pour, with poor retention and minimal lacing. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is quite good, but not as potent as the top offering, with orange and pepper, pale malts, malt husk, coriander, and what smells like the Oberon yeast strain (Wyeast American Ale?). The mouthfeel is very smooth, with an invigorating peppery bite, which I absolutely love. The taste opens with a smooth pale malt backbone with a well balanced sweetness riding atop orange, coriander and pepper. I don't really pick up on the lemon zest. The finish is quenching and just makes you want to drink more. This is an amazingly sessionable beer. I could easily put six of these away. Highly recommended, but even more delicious on tap.

3.23/5  rDev -10%

A- Pours a bright orange with a cap of white head about a finger tall. Head dies down pretty quickly. Result: no lacing. This could be partly due to the weather also.

S- Quite a bit of citrus and lemon. Everything shows up that they advertise on it including the pepper and coriander. It hasa bit of a funk to it though, it might be from the coriander.

T- Pretty similar to the aroma, but I'm just not real turned on by the different flavors. I'm thinking it's the coriander that I'm not enjoying.

M- Light/medium body with good doses of carbonation.

D- The taste and smell didn't really do it for me. This isn't a horrible beer by any means, and I think they accomplished what they wanted to, but it doesn't really work for me. I wouldn't buy this again.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a standard pint glass
Burnt-orange in color, with a rather short head of white foam
Aroma-Orange and lemon zest and definite pepper notes
Taste-Spicy, orange and lemon notes, and a long undercurrent of peppercorn, that imparts a spicy warmth that is pleasant, not overpowering.
Overall, peppery, spicy and certainly refreshing. Would be a nice match for a zesty Italian or Greek salad.

3.2/5  rDev -10.9%

12 oz. bottle.

Very pleasant, lightly cloudy golden lemonade body. Small, gauzy, eggshell white head. Minor lacing. Spicy nose, with notes of lemon zest, grapefruit, coriander, and clove. The spices cover up subtle bread and yeast notes.

Soft wheat and fruity yeast up front. Citrus and spice come on strong mid-palate. Clove and coriander play off of fresh lemon and grapefruit zest. The acidity of the citrus works nicely with the soft, bready wheat. I'm not crazy about the coriander though. Also a bit of pepper in the finish that doesn't help much. Very grapefruity (but not bitter) in the finish. Medium body with a sparkling feel. Not bad, but definitely not my favorite Short's brew.

3.65/5  rDev +1.7%

a - pours a bright golden amber color, pretty hazy, smallish white head with retention around the edges only, very light lacing, lots of tiny bubbles rising to the top throughout the session

s - coriander and lemon zest dominate the nose, lighter notes of bready malt, orange and strawberry, the black peppercorns are hardly noticeable in the aroma

t - like the aroma, coriander and sweet lemon are the dominant flavors, up front the lemon and orange zest are evident, coriander hits in the midpalate and rides right through to the finish, lingering on the palate well after swallowing, nice citrus on the finish with lighter notes of black pepper, yeasty and bready flavors present throughout as well, alcohol is well hidden

m - light-bodied with moderate to slightly high carbonation, fairly sweet finish, no alcohol warming

d - while the coriander isn't quite as dominant when you get into the glass a bit, but it does get a bit tiring towards the end, otherwise, a very refreshing beer that has enough complexity to make it interesting, alcohol isn't an issue

I liked this more as it warmed up slightly, but it's still not one of my favorite Short's offerings. I think it would suit my palate better if the coriander was dialed back a bit. Nice beer, however, and one I wouldn't mind revisiting again in the future.

3.55/5  rDev -1.1%

Sampled on 7-31-10

Pours a cloudy orange/brown color, with almost no head and the thinnest ring of lacing possible. Looks very sticky.

Smell is all coriander, with lots of spicy citrus coming in next, and a peppery, herbal finish. Sweet and lsightly bready like a witbier, but a little too spicy to be called one.

Taste is all orange and lemon, very tart and clean. The citrus overwhelms almost anything else, leaving a peppery finish and bready wheat aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is decent, but thinner than I expected. The mouthfeel makes the lemon flavors that much more cleaning product-esque.

Drinkability is decent, the tart citrus helps the sweetness and adds a nice balance. The flavors are a bit one dimensional, though.

Overall, not my favorite beer from Short's but try it if you can.

3.7/5  rDev +3.1%

A - This beer by Short's pours a pumpkin-like orange with a quick, fizzing head. Overall, it looks like a standard wheat beer.

S - The smell of coriander is slightly overpowering.

T - The initial taste is a strong combination of orange citrus and coriander. As you begin to swallow, the pepper starts to wake up. The pepper taste lingers and gently fizzes on the tongue.

M/F - The pepper does it for me

D - Great flavor. Easy to drink.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

A- A hazy orange/ yellow liquid with an almost non-existent white head.

S- Pepper, citrus rind, and coriander. Pungent and aromatic. A little heavy on the pepper which is not that appealing to me.

T- Pepper, flowers, citrus rind, and coriander. This is not nearly as potent as the aroma lead me to believe. Has a smoky potpourri aspect to it.

M- Smooth with a bit of a carbonation/ peppery bite at the end.

D- Unique to say the least. I would not want more than one of these, but it is worth a try.

3.58/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a slightly hazy, golden color. 1/5 inch head of a white color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of black pepper, slight yeast, slight sweet malt, and a hint of hop. The pepper dominates. Fits the style of a Herbed / Spiced beer. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp with an average carbonation level. There is also a noticeable dryness. Tastes of pepper, slight yeast, slight sweet malt, and hint of hops. Overall, the pepper dominates all other flavors, but I've never had a pepper flavored beer before. Interesting, but I don't know if I could drink very many.

4.25/5  rDev +18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Hear is a different brew, spicy and zesty. Dark rootbeer look, minimal head no lace, ok.

Great nose with spice hitting your face, pepper, lemon, great dark malt, oddly balanced, and it just refreshes you and and keeps you wanting more. The spices make this a different but excellent beer as it warms. Dry finish. They seem to have a light bodied brown ale backing this effort and it supports the additions well.

Taste follows nicely, with the mouthfeel a bit light. Overall a great refreshing summer drinker, reminds me of one of my favorites from Furthermore, Knot Stock, but even more complex.

3.63/5  rDev +1.1%

Light clear golden color. Light head.
Light peppery smell... cloves, coriander, oranges, and lemon.

Taste is a mix of spices dominated by peppercorns. Some coriander and citrus are also prevalent. Slightly bitter, but very clean and refreshing. Finish is all pepper.

3.75/5  rDev +4.5%

Enjoyed at the brewpub on tap. Peppercorn, corriander, lemon, oranhe, spiced wheat. Medium mouthfeel. Light colour and very lacey. Served closer to room temperature and drinkable. From this spicy beer, this is above average for the style. Nicely done although I would not drink this every day.

4.13/5  rDev +15%

Pours a hazy orange color with a small head and minimal lacing. The smell is dominated by the pepercorns, followed by citrusy flavors. The taste begins with the spicy pepercorns and is followed by ginger and a nice spicy burn. The mouthfeel has a medium body. This beer is easy to quaff and the pepercorn is done just right. Short's also uses pepercorns in their anniversary ale which makes for a interesting and spicy brew in both cases.

4.03/5  rDev +12.3%

On tap at the Hop Cat in Grand Rapids, MI.

Minimal white lacing and hazy as hell with a muddled orange beige color. Aroma of orange seltzer, fresh ground pepper corn, dough biscuit and a citric hop. Good smooth and crisp medium body with a creamy slick mouth feel. Orange on top with peppercorn and pepper heat within. The heat of the peppercorn grows with each sip but never reaches a hot level ... just a lovely spicy flavor. A bit of bread wheat and nuttiness form the yeast middle to end. Finishes with a long linger of peppercorn, semi dry.

Pretty amazing stuff here, extreme all the way. I dig peppercorn and it works in the beer so it does stay drinkable for me. This beer must be amazing to cook with as well.

Short's Nicie Spicie from Short's Brewing Company