Short's Nicie Spicie - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Nicie SpicieShort's Nicie Spicie

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Northern Michigan spiced wheat ale. A 50% mixture of premium two-row malted barley and malted white wheat makes golden wheat ale balanced with Ahtanum and Cascade hop varieties. This ale is spiced with fresh zest of lemon and orange rind, coriander, and black peppercorns
17.5 I.B.U.’s
2.8 deg. Plato
5.2% A.B.V.

(Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-14-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Nicie Spicie Alström Bros

SaisonRichBiere, Mar 02, 2013

A - Pours a fairly clear golden color with a thin finger of frothy white head. The head fades down fairly to a ring around the glass leaving behind a touch of lace.

S - I thought the nose was rather weak. There wasn't a lot that came out you do get some spices in there with a lot bit bit of citrus but like I said they didn't stand out and you really had to dig to get that out of this beer. I also did detect the peppercorns used in this one also but there is a lot going on in the nose of this beer it's kind of hard to pick something that stands out. IMO it just had a weak nose.

T - I thought the beer started off kind of on the citrus side which was kind of surprising because I thought it would be more spices. In the middle of the beer is where the spices and peppercorns come out and play. It was nice just wish it would have been more spiced that's all.

M - Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Smooth with a tart and spiced finish.

D - Easy to drink but don't think I would want a lot of this just because it's not my style and like I said before I thought there would be more spices. Glad I got to try but wouldn't buy a whole six pack of this would just put a bottle in a mixed six pack or something like that.

LiquidBread219, Mar 06, 2012

BcOneSeven, Jun 14, 2014

98green, Jun 14, 2014

FrankHammer, Oct 21, 2013

Kerrie, Sep 15, 2012

Localdrinklax, Aug 21, 2013

LornaLee, Dec 29, 2011
2.93/5  rDev -18.6%

Thanks, yet again, to malty as I work my happy way through all of the Short's that's piled up in the fridge & cellar. Reading the ingredients & spicing in this one, I'm anticipating 100% bliss or a fragrant train wreck.

Pours like an old Shasta Cream Soda, cream y orange. The smell is a wheat ale that's been hollowed out & stuff with a handful of Christmas spices; I'd like to say I can pick them out individually, but no. Just smells like a full spice rack.

Nicie Spicie comes out of the gates like a wheat beer, grassy, waving, probably seeded out on top. Then the wave of spice obliterates the hint of light prairie. The peppercorns crest the tsunami, & do a number on whatever follows, muddling up the balance of the spicing into a muddy Christmas pie of overkill. Coriander eventually pops its head up briefly.

Well. This is a one-and-done for me. Appropriate to Christmas time, perhaps this should be repackaged as one of the hundreds of YuleTime brews that seem to appear each year in Nov-Dec. This beer, well, I'm not a fan. The spicing is harsh & biting, where I prefer subtlety, & the wheat beer underneath is just about completely lost in the madness. Worth a try, but doesn't rise above the pack of spiced beers on steroids.

maximum12, Sep 05, 2010
2.88/5  rDev -20%

330ml bottle.Tulip glass.Enjoyed on may´11.Golden color.Clear appearance.Brief crown, white in color.Mildy malty,orange zest & subtle peppery aromas.Dry bitter & lemony at first sip.Orange & slightly sweet fruit flavor.Light body,low carbonation.Coriander & hoppy bitterness on the aftertaste.Well balanced beer but quite bland eventhough.

GONZALOYANNA, Mar 11, 2012
2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

A- golden yellow color. Tiny head (that's what she said?), no lacing.

S- Citrus and coriander. Maybe a hint of peppercorn

T- Tastes alot like it smelled. The citrus, I think, is Bergamot orange, the same fruit used in Earl Grey tea. Finishes with a spicy peppercorn flavor. Kinda tastes like a wheat beer...maybe? This beer actually reminds me a lot of earl grey.

M- Thin, not as carbonated as I would expect.

D- Not my thing. I finished one, mostly because I didn't want to waste it; there are sober kids in India.

SAxDRC5, Aug 28, 2010
2.83/5  rDev -21.4%

Roommate brought back a growler from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Clear gold with a small white head. Leaves tiny lacing.

S- One of the most pungent beers I've smelled. Peppercorns, lemon zest, orange zest, bready malt, coriander, and other spices. I could smell this quite a few feet away from the glass.

T- Some spiciness upfront from the peppercorns followed by some citrus notes including lemon and orange zest, coriander and sweet bready malt follow after.

M- Light carbonation and light body with a slightly sweet finish. A tad crisp but the high spice profile prevents it from being too drinkable for my taste.

O- One of the most interesting beers I've tried in recent memory. The smell was pretty complex, but the spice level prevented me from being able to drink more than a small pour of this. Glad I tried it, but not really my kind of brew.

iadler, Jul 05, 2011
2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

12 ounce bottle into a snifter

A: Golden straw color with a ½ finger white head. Not all that good of head retention, and not that good of lacing

S: Lemons and wheat are the dominant smells of this beer. Refreshing smell, though nothing special.

T: So, this is definitely a flavorful beer, the problem is that the flavors are a bit overwhelming, not that cohesive and not that refreshing. Take something like a Hacker-Pschor Weisse (spelling) and distill it down a bit to concentrate some of the flavors and that is what this is like. The problem is that Hacker is much better than this just the way it is. The main flavors in this are orange, lemon, and a bit of pepper at the finish.

M: About average for a wheat beer. Perhaps a bit under-carbonated for my liking though.

D: Not as good of drinkability as your average wheat beer. I would rather have something else if I was in the mood for a wheat beer on a hot summer day.

glazeman, Aug 31, 2010
2.8/5  rDev -22.2%

a: Shared with threee others. My three ounces poured into an amber juiice glass which may have distorted the color. Appeared a deep orange with a half finger head.

s: Mildly citrus.

t: Citrus at first, but then the pepper registers and overwhelms, leaving a burning sensation in the back of the throat.

m: Medium with notable carbonation, but that pepper blast keeps any enjoyment from sipping at a minimum.

o: Interesting concept: a beer that is so spicy hot it makes you want to drink more beer, but it does not help. After that, the Curious Traveler Shandy I tried, a style I usually do not like, was a welcome relief.

Give Shorts credit for something unusual and creative. Might appeal to those who like spicy spicy and more spicy. But for me it was not nicie.

scotorum, Jun 28, 2013

Big78CJ, Sep 10, 2013

FortKnox15, Jul 19, 2013

Pillowburn, Jul 19, 2012
2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

Thanks again to Thorpe for this one.

A: The beer pours a light golden color with a thin white head.

S: A wonderful cleaning fluid aroma. Intense lemon and orange peel, maybe a bit of perfume. The pepper corn aroma is quite intense, too. Not very much coriander aroma.

T: As with the aroma, intense lemon peel aroma with the orange more in the background. As with the aroma, there is quite a bit of peppercorn character and very little coriander. Sort of watery.

M: Light bodied with low to medium carbonation.

O: Just too much cleaning solution.

womencantsail, Oct 08, 2011
2.73/5  rDev -24.2%

looks like a decent saison. slightly hazy straw color with a decent sized almost white head that recedes quickly, but leaves epic lacing.

hmmm. definitely spicy. peppercorns (white, and black) are quite apparent, with some herbal qualities.

lemon rind with peppercorns and dried herbs with some slightly toasted wheat bread and some sour and bitter citrus.

light/medium bodied with a prickly carbonation and a peppery finish, and an odd herb quality that does not leave the palate.

my least favorite Shorts beer so far. just not for me. Not sure Ill be getting this one again.

silentjay, Sep 05, 2011