Short's Nicie Spicie - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Herbed / Spiced Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: Mitchster on 06-14-2004

Northern Michigan spiced wheat ale. A 50% mixture of premium two-row malted barley and malted white wheat makes golden wheat ale balanced with Ahtanum and Cascade hop varieties. This ale is spiced with fresh zest of lemon and orange rind, coriander, and black peppercorns
17.5 I.B.U.’s
2.8 deg. Plato
5.2% A.B.V.
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 415 | Reviews: 151

A - Pours a fairly clear golden color with a thin finger of frothy white head. The head fades down fairly to a ring around the glass leaving behind a touch of lace.

S - I thought the nose was rather weak. There wasn't a lot that came out you do get some spices in there with a lot bit bit of citrus but like I said they didn't stand out and you really had to dig to get that out of this beer. I also did detect the peppercorns used in this one also but there is a lot going on in the nose of this beer it's kind of hard to pick something that stands out. IMO it just had a weak nose.

T - I thought the beer started off kind of on the citrus side which was kind of surprising because I thought it would be more spices. In the middle of the beer is where the spices and peppercorns come out and play. It was nice just wish it would have been more spiced that's all.

M - Light bodied with lots of carbonation. Smooth with a tart and spiced finish.

D - Easy to drink but don't think I would want a lot of this just because it's not my style and like I said before I thought there would be more spices. Glad I got to try but wouldn't buy a whole six pack of this would just put a bottle in a mixed six pack or something like that.

2.95/5  rDev -17.8%

Thanks, yet again, to malty as I work my happy way through all of the Short's that's piled up in the fridge & cellar. Reading the ingredients & spicing in this one, I'm anticipating 100% bliss or a fragrant train wreck.

Pours like an old Shasta Cream Soda, cream y orange. The smell is a wheat ale that's been hollowed out & stuff with a handful of Christmas spices; I'd like to say I can pick them out individually, but no. Just smells like a full spice rack.

Nicie Spicie comes out of the gates like a wheat beer, grassy, waving, probably seeded out on top. Then the wave of spice obliterates the hint of light prairie. The peppercorns crest the tsunami, & do a number on whatever follows, muddling up the balance of the spicing into a muddy Christmas pie of overkill. Coriander eventually pops its head up briefly.

Well. This is a one-and-done for me. Appropriate to Christmas time, perhaps this should be repackaged as one of the hundreds of YuleTime brews that seem to appear each year in Nov-Dec. This beer, well, I'm not a fan. The spicing is harsh & biting, where I prefer subtlety, & the wheat beer underneath is just about completely lost in the madness. Worth a try, but doesn't rise above the pack of spiced beers on steroids.

2.93/5  rDev -18.4%

2.89/5  rDev -19.5%

Roommate brought back a growler from the brewery. Poured into a tulip glass.

A- Clear gold with a small white head. Leaves tiny lacing.

S- One of the most pungent beers I've smelled. Peppercorns, lemon zest, orange zest, bready malt, coriander, and other spices. I could smell this quite a few feet away from the glass.

T- Some spiciness upfront from the peppercorns followed by some citrus notes including lemon and orange zest, coriander and sweet bready malt follow after.

M- Light carbonation and light body with a slightly sweet finish. A tad crisp but the high spice profile prevents it from being too drinkable for my taste.

O- One of the most interesting beers I've tried in recent memory. The smell was pretty complex, but the spice level prevented me from being able to drink more than a small pour of this. Glad I tried it, but not really my kind of brew.

2.89/5  rDev -19.5%

2.85/5  rDev -20.6%

330ml bottle.Tulip glass.Enjoyed on may´11.Golden color.Clear appearance.Brief crown, white in color.Mildy malty,orange zest & subtle peppery aromas.Dry bitter & lemony at first sip.Orange & slightly sweet fruit flavor.Light body,low carbonation.Coriander & hoppy bitterness on the aftertaste.Well balanced beer but quite bland eventhough.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Short's Nicie Spicie from Short's Brewing Company