Short's Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.
Reviews by MrPlayboy:
3.25/5  rDev -10.5%

4.02/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

When I first had one, I was dazzled by the taste and the ABV. The fruitness is good, but as some have said, the taste can get old after awhile. While it tastes "fruity", there isn't really one distinctive identifiable fruit taste. The alcohol taste is so obscured by this fruitiness that in no short time, you've downed two or three soft parade's and are teetering around in front of a group of 50 mostly strangers singing an Ace of Bass song for Karaoke night (even though it's not actually karaoke night). (507 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -12.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

On tap at Old Chicago. The beer pours a dark hue of pink and ruby-red - very nice looking. The head is nearly non-existent and fades quickly. The beer smells just like it looks - refreshing and full of fruit: berries and figs with malt in the background. I didn't much care for the taste of this beer. Upon sipping, the fruit profile is powerful, with a little TOO much berry for my liking. Almost tastes like carbonated juice with a hint of beer. By no means is it "bad", but it would be a challenge to drink more than one of these for me. Very sweet and even a little bit tangy, this brew is more almost more along the lines of a weird juice than a beer (aside from the 8% ABV which goes primarily unnoticed). The taste is less authentic than a "sour" and when I drink a "fruit beer", I want a heavier beer taste, with maybe hints of fruit. This beer is kind of stuck in a strange limbo. Medium-bodied beer that leaves a sweet-stickiness on your teeth as it heads down your gullet.

I tried, but couldn't get into this beer like many of my friends. It's tasty, but when I want a beer, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Not "beer" enough to be a good fruit beer, and not authentic or sour enough to be a lambic. The 9% ABV is covered up very well, as almost no alcohol is detectable, but I will probably pass on this brew next time. (1,338 characters)

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%

12oz. bottle poured into a Bells tulip glass. A thanks to Tony for this bottles.

It pours a really nice hazy pinkish hue. There is no denying that this beer has a lot of berries in it. A generous yellow/straw head dies down to a nice cap that lingers for a good amount of time. A medium to high amount of lacing sticks to the sides of the glass. So far it hits every note on what a beautiful fruit heavy beer should be. Unfortunately it goes downhill from there.

The nose is very reminiscent of a completely average raspberry wheat beer. I looked and i don't think this beer is brewed with wheat, rather with rye but the similarities to a fruit wheat beer are very evident to me. The fruit smell itself is ok, it's kind of bland and not very assertive with a kind of slick or oily smell some wheat beers get

The flavor is much the same of the smell. I think the problem with the fruit is there are too many flavors in there and it turns into one big muddled mess. The raspberry stands out to me but even then it isn't a very well done fruit flavor. There isn't too much offensive about it but nothing too impressive either. I can see how Short's is gearing this as an alternative to the female wine drinker.

The mouthfeel is pretty slick. There is also a pretty high level of carbonation. The one really nice thing is there is no sign of the ABV at all and it drinks quite well. Even though I particularly didn't enjoy the taste I has no apprehension finishing the bottle. (1,476 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -22.3%

Received this beer from mjd83goblue in the Local Goods II BIF. I got about 9 Short's Brewery Beers and this is the 3rd one I've tried. I was pretty excited to try this beer -- the description on the bottle sounded very interesting.

A - cracked open the cap and this baby was very carbonated. It didn't gush out, but you could see the carbonation bubbles aggresively climbing to the top, and for about a minute or 2, frothy head, slowly flowed from the bottle. Appearence was great though -- a deep red color with a mountain of white head, lined throughout with a pinkish hugh.

S - I was very impressed with the smell. You could almost get a hint of each individual berry, yet somehow they all melded together with one sniff. Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry -- all present.

T - this is where it went downhill for me. The raspberries stood out above the others, by far. It was a little too mediciney for my taste.

M - the high carbonation definitely showed its face. I don't know if the bottle was just shaken up a bit too much, but it was over-carbonated.

D - overall, I give the drinkability a below average rating due to the medicine-like taste and the high carbonation, with emphasis on the medicine.

From the 3 or 4 beers I have had from Short's, they seem like an amazing brewery and very innovative. This beer, however, was my least favorite, to date, from Short's. (1,397 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +9.4%

Pours a cloudy reddish color with a finger of head.

Raspberries dominate the smell, not really getting the strawberries and blackberries coming thorough.

Smell is nice, no real sweetness here. Upfront is some tartness from the fruit, again especially the raspberries, followed by rye and hops.

Pretty light mouthfeel overall.

Nice on a hot summer day, though the abv creeps in a bit after awhile. (400 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +32.2%

3.2/5  rDev -11.8%

a: pinking red. white head, average lacing.

s: smells like strawberry jam. sweet smell

t: very berry. strawberry, blueberry, raspberry. wine like tannins/acidity/alcohol. no hop flavor but is balanced with rye

m: bubbbly, too much so.

o: i never expect much from fruit beers, but this exceeded my low expectations. would be a good summer beer, however, i could not see myself having more than 1 in a sitting. (413 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +8.5%

12 ounce bottle, pours a dull shade of cherry, lasting off white head leaving a thick collar and moderate bits of lace. More fruity cherry, and berries on the nose.

Fruits galore here with strawberry, cherry, raspberry carrying the load. Summery. Delicious.

Pair this with a berry fruit tart or a fruity dessert of some sort...well worth a try, more impressive brew from Short's (384 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -11%

Had on tap at the Sunset

Appearance: hazy with sediment, 1/4 inch head, brownish red in color, high carbonation

Smell: berries: strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries

Taste: follows the nose with some honey and bubble gum flavor

Mouthfeel: very sweet, light bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability: Not a bad beer, but I was hoping for more from Shorts. The advertised rye really does not show up. Super sweet in the lines of Leinie's berry weiss. Be careful the alcohol is well hidden. My least favorite from Short's so far. (533 characters)

2.55/5  rDev -29.8%

Decent berry aroma. Taste is off-tart fruit. Not much else. (59 characters)

4.09/5  rDev +12.7%

This Is my very first sweet and fruity beer. I usually drink an IPA or high IBUs
But I actually loved this beer
A- average defiantly has a tiny of red in the color
S- amazing aroma, fruity and floral
T- you can diffidently taste the many berries! This beer may not be for everyone but I sure love it.
M- goes down nice and easy with medium carbonation with a lovely aftertaste.
O- a great beer. Having something different is always fun and I never thought I would like a sweet or fruity beer but then I tried this one. And I definitely fell for it! (552 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +30.9%

3.65/5  rDev +0.6%

My brother picked this up for me on a recent trip up to Michigan. My second time trying this beer.

Appearance- Pours a well carbonated ruby with about a finger and a half of fizzy pink head over the body. Lots of beading on the sides of the glass but head retention is poor and dies back to a ring around the edges rather quickly.

Smell- A mixed berry bouquet. Primarily, I pick up first on blueberry. Following this, the most dominant fruit is raspberry. Both are quite fresh smelling and there is a hint of spice in the background.

Taste- Again, most dominant taste is of fresh blueberries, with raspberry, and some seed showing through as well. Interesting background spices show through just a bit as well, and I suspect this is influence of rye.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is a bit disappointingly thin but carbonation is good. Alcohol does show through however, reducing drinkability a bit.

Overall, a very good take on fruit beer. Not my favorite style but a solid and interesting offering by Shorts. (1,019 characters)

3.73/5  rDev +2.8%