1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's The Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The Soft ParadeShort's The Soft Parade

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.
14 I.B.U.'s
20 deg. Plato
9 % A.B.V.

(Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's The Soft Parade Alström Bros
Ratings: 665 | Reviews: 279 | Show All Ratings:
errantnight

1.43/5  rDev -60.5%

Got this a long time ago, I forget from whom, but thank you trading partner!

Started off promisingly, pours with a rich, luxurious 4+ finger head. Served chilled and early aromas are mixed fruit. Hazy a cloudy straw in appearance. Great lacing.

That said... after this warmed up, just slightly, the solvent notes started to sneak out. Before long, it was somewhere between paint thinner and gasoline. This was literally impossible to take a smell of. I bravely took a few sips anyway (well, more than a few, as my first couple it was still too cold to get much out of it, but those weren't "brave"). What was underlying was not quite as noxious as the fumes emanating off of this. But they weren't great, either.

I've had this in my fridge basically since the day I got it, so whatever happened happened before it got to me. But this beer was literally undrinkable. I've had very few drain pours in my life, this was unequivocally one of them.

07-01-2010 22:26:49 | More by errantnight
DefenCorps

Oregon

1.45/5  rDev -59.9%

schro126 was kind enough to throw this in as an extra. Thanks, man! Unfortunately, it was pretty disgusting.

Mildly murky and hazy strawberry pink with a pinkish white head with good retention and a little lace, this is OK

God, this is putrid. Vegetal and fruity with a harsh and rubbery solvent character and some alcohol heat. Cooked fruit and jammy, this is disgusting.

The palate isn't as awful as the nose, but that isn't saying much. Harsh solvents, alcohol, and cooked fruit before a grassy and vegetal finish, and if that isn't enough, there's some rubber in the middle. Light in body with a medium-high level of carbonation, the awful finish just reemphasizes the trainwreck that this beer is.

02-08-2010 16:08:07 | More by DefenCorps
afksports

1.45/5  rDev -59.9%

Short's Soft Parade came courtesy of my good sister (I only have one, but she's my bad sister when she doesn't bring me beer), and I sampled it on a random evening with my good girlfriend.

This baby pours out sexy like the relaxing woman on the label. A deep red body leaves lace all over the glass and reminds me immediately of strawberry. I'm totally down to enjoy this one.

And that's where the fun ends, because I sniff and **zap** my parade is over. Parade to alcohol maybe, or slimy berries and skunk. This smelled like Bud and strawberry Four Loko (I've had Four Loko). It tastes the same way. Alcohol and badness. And faint berries, I give it that, but not much else. An overwhelmingly unbalanced sweetness comes in the middle to tweak the alcohol and cough syrup medicinal feel. It's like cherry chloroseptic.

Overall this light body beer isn't very drinkable, and wound up a drain pour or me. I let it warm and there was no difference to the taste. Sad. Such high expectations.

But despite the beer, she's still my good sister.

07-20-2011 21:08:54 | More by afksports
BMMillsy

2.03/5  rDev -43.9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle. Pours neon pinkish red with nearly no head. Wheaty aroma with big time strawberry wine brings me back to trying to score in the woods freshman year of college with a bottle of Boon’s Farm. Tastes like watered down strawberry juice with blueberry vomit. Dirty dirty wheat finish. Tastes just like when I "scored", too (well, she scored at least). Wtf is this? Light bodied with low carbonation. This is gross, bro.

06-22-2013 19:45:33 | More by BMMillsy
jt31914

2.13/5  rDev -41.2%

12 oz. Bottle

A: Literally 3 1/2 fingers of head; ruby red squirt color. Foam clings to the glass and very frothy.

S: Sparkling juice smell; berry is noticeable but no specific berry can be distinguished - no beer smell traceable.

T: Tastes like sparkling juice as well - no hops or beer like taste at all; the berries conflict and do not mesh well; I love short's but this did not taste very good.

M/D: Like pop rocks in your mouth. Suffice to say this isn't the most drinkable stuff.

It's hard for me to hate on a Short's brew, but this beer just wasn't good to me.

10-08-2009 18:09:14 | More by jt31914
CuriousMonk

2.15/5  rDev -40.6%

I am just not a fan of fruit beers at all. Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a red color with a small pinkish head. Aroma is of quite fruity and fairly tart, the raspberries and strawberries are what I smell the most along with some sugary notes. The flavor is slightly tart and very fruity with alot of raspberry along with some sugary notes and the 9% ABV is really well hidden. The body is light with a slightly dry mouthfeel. Overall a pretty solid Fruit Beer, but fruit beers like this arent really my style, this was more fruit than beer IMO.

04-28-2011 16:43:36 | More by CuriousMonk
Vonerichs

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Color is a strange reddish-taupe, almost murky. Minimal head, no lacing.

The smell is like a pomegranite and red berry fruit punch.

It tastes like fruit punch of young unripe berries. It's tart and not sweet at all. If you're going to give me fruit in a beer, at least make it sweet.

Mouthfeel is light and fizzy, like a flavored seltzer water.

I disliked every moment of drinking this one. Never again. No way.

04-30-2010 02:01:09 | More by Vonerichs
crosamich

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

Even considering this beer for what it is supposed to be (for non beer drinkers) I can't get behind it. Pours with no head at all. Pinkish hue. I get all the bitterness from these berries but none of the sweetness. The nose is of sour with a touch of fruit, neither is very strong. It is taking me a while to get through this beer.

01-09-2011 01:28:32 | More by crosamich
Jwale73

Rhode Island

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

12oz. bottle courtesy of seeswo. My first Short's beer. Handmade by people who care on 032310. Served in my Maudite tulip. Pours a bright, translucent copper with a half inch, loose, off-white head that sizzles and pops as it slowly dissipates into a broken froth and a creamy band around the shoulders. Nose is musty and also slightly metallic with a suggestion of fruit syrup towards the back. Taste - not great. Tart, acidic, artificial fruit flavors, a metallic quality and some bitterness towards the finish reminiscent of grapefruit seed extract. Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is prickly and gassy. It's also fairly acidic, and not in a good way. Well, this is pretty much undrinkable - I got through about 1/3 of the bottle before having to do a drain pour (not something I do very often). I just couldn't get through this one.

02-25-2011 01:14:25 | More by Jwale73
Photo of

2.3/5  rDev -36.5%

Appearance - This beer is rusty pink in the glass with no head to speak of.
The aroma is sweet berry, but more like Swedish Berries candy than fresh raspberries.
Taste is thin, slightly tart, and finishes like Kool Aid with a bit of a kick. I expected intense fruit flavour or typical beer flavours accented with fruit; this is neither. It’s thin and vaguely sweet, almost like fruit flavoured diet pop. It has 9%ABV and doesn’t taste like much at all. If I tasted this blind, I don’t think I would even guess it was beer. It’s not an unpleasant drink, but not what I expected from any sort of beer.

04-19-2011 23:50:39 | More by
berserker256

2.35/5  rDev -35.1%

Interesting peach/bronze/reddish colored body and a large pink/white head. Sticks around like ocean foam. Smell is somewhat bizarre. Kind of funky tart and sweet. I can't quite put my finger on it. It almost smells like spoiled fruit and industrial chemicals. I don't think I care for it too much, yet, it doesn't absolutely suck either. The taste is mouth-puckering tart and sour, fruity, and my burps taste like a bouquet of flowers. A bitter blanket coats my tounge. Texture and carbonation and mouthfeel are decent but I really do not want another one of these beers. The aftertaste is killing me. It tastes like I just drank some perfume.

01-31-2010 21:18:41 | More by berserker256
SeanSweeney

2.41/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.75

Like purple bag of skittles mixed with coors light. Wouldn't recommend or try again. But then again not a fan or fruity beers. But overall too much fruit to discern any specific flavors. Reminiscent of trix cereal due to not being able to tell what flavor this beer was willing to take on.

05-12-2013 03:35:53 | More by SeanSweeney
glazeman

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter

A: Pours a redish gold color with a 1 finger pinkish white head. Excellent retention, minimal lacing.

S: I'm not a big fan of the smell, I wish more of the fruit came through, but it doesn't. Actually it smells quite unpleasant, with a medicinal/rotten smell

T: Left a lot to be desired, especially when compared to some of the fruit beers I have had from new glarus, bells, and kuhnhenn recently. Tasted like a coors light with a hint of high fructose corn syrup mixed in. You'd probably get the same taste by mixing a light beer and a cola 4 to 1.

M: Good feel, nice level of carbonation and just the right thickness.

D: This was a one and done for me. I really was hoping for something more exciting and interesting, but was left disappointed.

06-29-2010 04:46:31 | More by glazeman
Beejay

2.42/5  rDev -33.1%

A: Slightly hazy, ruby colored in the glass. Nice white head.

S: Odd. Smells like berry scented styrofoam. There is some definite burning plastic smell in here. it has me worried.

T: Very strange beast indeed. A little of the plastic taste comes through. There are some tart fruit notes, and is reminiscent of cider.

M: Fairly light, but very active carbonation.

D: Not a fan of this one. It could be really brilliant, and as I continue to drink it more of the tart berry comes out. But the tartness and the plastic thing don't mesh well with me.

In the end this is a drain pour for me. I simply have no desire to take another sip.

12-08-2010 02:20:00 | More by Beejay
AgentZero

2.45/5  rDev -32.3%

A - Bright reddish color with tints of brown. No head to speak of, basically just bubbles up like soda and disappears quickly.

S - A lot of fruit, strawberries and raspberries mostly, as would be the case, they would be the dominant berry smells out of the four listed. No real blackberry scent, and definately no blueberry that I could pick out. Really about it.

T - Tastes kind of like a bad wine cooler. No malts or hops, just a kind of skunky sweet berry hodge podge of flavors. Nothing really distinguishing itself here.

M - Slightly syrupy considering how light bodied it is. Some soda-like carbonation. Finishes sticky.

D - Yuck, more like drinking juice, seems like a beer made for people who don't like beer. Can't do any more of this.

04-28-2010 20:07:02 | More by AgentZero
enfield249

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Clear, rose gold in color, white foam head about 1 fingers worth

S - Not much smell, maybe a little fruityness.

T - No one specific fruit, just kind of a general berry/fruit taste.

M - Fairly clean, not to much CO2, a little bit of the fruit stays with you.

D - Meh. Fruit beers are not my favorite to begin with, and this did nothing to change my mind on that account.

12-23-2009 23:49:53 | More by enfield249
nukem5

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Pours a very odd color of red/ pink with a little white foam cap on top.

S: Aroma is of berries and a bunch of them at that.

T: Tart and berry like very stong fruity flavor, more like a malt beverage than beer.

M: Again more like a malt beverage than an ale, high carbonation level and like an overly carbed wine cooler.

O: Overall if it were not for the 9% ABV I would have poured it down the drain but needing to level out after working till midnight drank it down like a seditive

12-13-2011 07:24:33 | More by nukem5
Jeebs

2.6/5  rDev -28.2%

A: Pours a orangish red with a huge pillowy pinkish white head. The head sticks around for some time leaving huge lacing.

S: Smells very pleasant, like tart strawberries and raspberries.

T: The taste is much like the smell, strawberry with tart raspberry to finish. I just don't enjoy the taste of this beer; it seems to leave a children's medicine taste in my mouth.

M: Light and refreshing, but with a bit too much carbonation.

D: The taste kills this beer for me along with the extremely high carbonation.

02-04-2010 22:37:20 | More by Jeebs
organicbrewer

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

A-Crazy carbonation. more than half the glass is foam. Amber, boardering on ruby. brilliantly clear.

S-Strawberry and tomato? slight menthol. Raspberry. No hops, and no malt to speak of.

T-Dry red wine. Very low hop bitterness (next to none) and no hop flavor. Very slight crackery malt. Like carbonated commercial cranberry cocktail. No one fruit stands out.

M-Crazy prickly carbonation. Fairly dry. No alcohol heat.

D-Not really my bag. A mess of fruit and no malt to back it up. I might like this better if they had thrown some bugs into it and soured the beer. Maybe next time

04-21-2010 01:09:58 | More by organicbrewer
Florida9

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Reddish copper in color. Actually, one of the reddest beers I've seen. Very limp, lifeless white head with little retention.

S: Not much going on here. Some tart cherries, some toast; nothing overpowering.

T: Starts with a very light sugary sweetness. Summer fruit with the taste of unripe, tart berries, leading to a a certain vinous quality to it. Tart, but not sour. This one definitely has berries in it, but it would have been nice if the brewer would have used berries that had ripened before he brewed with them

M: On the thinner side of medium with heavy carbonation.

D: A rather unexciting beer that became almost annoying to drink. The wife refused to even taste it.

04-30-2010 02:09:13 | More by Florida9
fredmugs

Indiana

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

I'm writing this review in case anyone reads it before buying this beer. It tastes exactly like a wine cooler. In a blind taste test I'm not sure if I could tell the difference. It is fermented with blackberries, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries. You've been warned.

04-05-2013 21:26:17 | More by fredmugs
LSUExplorer03

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%

Received this beer from mjd83goblue in the Local Goods II BIF. I got about 9 Short's Brewery Beers and this is the 3rd one I've tried. I was pretty excited to try this beer -- the description on the bottle sounded very interesting.

A - cracked open the cap and this baby was very carbonated. It didn't gush out, but you could see the carbonation bubbles aggresively climbing to the top, and for about a minute or 2, frothy head, slowly flowed from the bottle. Appearence was great though -- a deep red color with a mountain of white head, lined throughout with a pinkish hugh.

S - I was very impressed with the smell. You could almost get a hint of each individual berry, yet somehow they all melded together with one sniff. Strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, and blackberry -- all present.

T - this is where it went downhill for me. The raspberries stood out above the others, by far. It was a little too mediciney for my taste.

M - the high carbonation definitely showed its face. I don't know if the bottle was just shaken up a bit too much, but it was over-carbonated.

D - overall, I give the drinkability a below average rating due to the medicine-like taste and the high carbonation, with emphasis on the medicine.

From the 3 or 4 beers I have had from Short's, they seem like an amazing brewery and very innovative. This beer, however, was my least favorite, to date, from Short's.

02-03-2010 16:59:27 | More by LSUExplorer03
seeswo

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

This bottle was poured and shared with 2 different ladies in my life as is suggested, I guess.

Pours a trasparent dark-cherry pink color with sizable pinkish white head. Smells like a mixed drink - like a cosmo or something other berry/booze concoction. I don't really have any idea what to think of that, so I'll evaluate it on how pleasant we found it, which was a pretty mixed bag. Tastes like a very carbonated fruit puree potpourri. There is a bit of perfuminess as described by the potpourri flavor that is not plesant. Sweet, but not overly so, which was welcomed. It as certainly interesting, but really didn't come together for us - we did not finish the 12 oz bottle between 3 people. The mouthfeel was not too sweet, not too dry, but over-carbonated. The somewhat off perfumey flavor limited the drinkability, outside of my personal bias against the drinkability fo the style.

01-29-2011 15:46:50 | More by seeswo
jeffreymstein

Connecticut

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

Weird brew.

The pour is red-purple, with little head and a lot of visible carbonation. More like a cider than a beer.

Tastes unmistakably fruity, but cut with a dry-bitter rye. The alcohol is well hidden by the fruit notes.

Definitely worth a shot, but I will not be buying this again.

07-16-2012 01:07:04 | More by jeffreymstein
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

"Lots of times you have to pretend to join a parade in which you're not really interested in order to get where you're going."

--Christopher Morley

Blazing bonfire orange and glazed brick red with a firmly fluffy crown of girlie rose petal pink filling the upper half of the snifter. Bubbles are boiling off the bottom of the glass, which should sustain the cap for quite some time. A lack of tackiness results in nothing more than a few small chunks of suds.

The beer smells like red raspberries, then strawberries, with no blueberry or blackberry whatsoever. It isn't aromatic and there's no hint of the toasted rye. If things don't turn around on the taste buds, this SBC brew will be a disappointment, at least compared to expectations.

Soft Parade is not an explosively flavorful fruit ale, in spite of Short's bona fides and the 9.0% ABV. It's also slightly more bitter than sweet (possibly due to all the CO2), which doesn't help. If you're on the lookout for a panty stripper, look elsewhere.

There's still no earthiness from the rye malt. Actually, it doesn't taste or feel like there's much malt in there at all. The fruitiness is tangy-sour. Again, like unripe red raspberries and strawberries, nothing in the 'purple berry' family at all. This is average fruit ale at best. Check that, it's worse than average.

The mouthfeel is waaay too thin for the ABV and the carbonation is harsh and stinging. A minimal amount of improvement by the bottom of the bottle doesn't change it enough for the next highest score to be granted.

Short's must have made their reputation on the rest of their lineup because Soft Parade is not good beer. This is one parade that I'm not interested in joining, watching or drinking.

08-25-2010 13:31:21 | More by BuckeyeNation