2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Short's The Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The Soft ParadeShort's The Soft Parade

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  9.00% ABV

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.
14 I.B.U.'s
20 deg. Plato
9 % A.B.V.

(Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004)
Ratings: 668 | Reviews: 279 | Show All Ratings:
hoffhin2

4.49/5  rDev +24%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Red with a small head when I was served it.

Smell: has a light raspberry fruity smell with some malts

Taste: some malts, initial fruity taste of raspberry and oranges. Very smooth and light for a high percent beer.

Overall: Really good beer and I would recommend! It is unique in how crisp and fruity it is but yet still very strong and not as filling as some other beers I would compare with.

04-14-2014 19:50:08 | More by hoffhin2
importedfromdet

3.59/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint from draft. Pours a solid semi opaque reddish/pink brew with an average head.

Smells of a fresh fruit dish.

Taste is a nice blend of high fruit, tapering with a hefty taste of malt and barley soon too follow. Not too sugary which is great though the aftertaste of bitterness soon follows.

Mouth feel is that of drinking a berry smoothie with a rhubarb pie. Leaves mouth a tad dry.

Pleasant overall. A good night cap.

02-21-2014 05:26:24 | More by importedfromdet
Rheadmore

This beer was extremely pleasant from appearance, aroma, taste and after-taste. A big characteristic for me is after-taste and The Soft Parade was very discrete. In my experience the higher ABV beers tend to always effect me from an after-taste standpoint, so I was pleasantly surprised with this blend.

10-19-2013 14:21:42 | More by Rheadmore
Benish

Wisconsin

3.7/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ordered at the Shorts Brewpub restaurant. Served in snifter glass.

It presented a ruby red color. No foam present, overall it almost has the appearance of a fruity red wine. It smelled great. I picked up primarily strawberries, other fruits and some malt. Taking a whiff of this beer, I anticipated it would taste fantastic.

However the flavor of the beer is a little lacking. Once again I tasted primarily strawberries and a little malt. But the flavor was not complex in my opinion. I expected a bit more from this; there was no pow in my mouth with this one. Indeed this would be a great beer to drink outside on a hot day to quench your thirst. It served me for that purpose.

What's really striking is that it clocks in at 9% ABV. There was no booziness that was noticeable. So you'd have to be careful because before you know it you'll finish the glass.

Overall good beer. Not something I would hunt down but is worth trying if you're in the area. I loved the smell of this beer but feel it needs a bit more complexity.

07-04-2013 17:59:00 | More by Benish
Mavigo

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

Had this at the red fox pub in royal oak. Served in a tulip

A: Poured a clear pinkish red with a short white head with good amounts of lacing.

S: Smells tart, raspberries, cranberries, wheat, grains

T: tastes a bit sweet, a little bit tart, has a kick of a hops, could use some more lavor though.

M: little too much carbonation for me, but its crisp, and refreshing

O: ah its alright, i was expecting much more, more tartness and flavor but its not bad

11-24-2012 02:05:35 | More by Mavigo
tectactoe

3.11/5  rDev -14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

On tap at Old Chicago. The beer pours a dark hue of pink and ruby-red - very nice looking. The head is nearly non-existent and fades quickly. The beer smells just like it looks - refreshing and full of fruit: berries and figs with malt in the background. I didn't much care for the taste of this beer. Upon sipping, the fruit profile is powerful, with a little TOO much berry for my liking. Almost tastes like carbonated juice with a hint of beer. By no means is it "bad", but it would be a challenge to drink more than one of these for me. Very sweet and even a little bit tangy, this brew is more almost more along the lines of a weird juice than a beer (aside from the 8% ABV which goes primarily unnoticed). The taste is less authentic than a "sour" and when I drink a "fruit beer", I want a heavier beer taste, with maybe hints of fruit. This beer is kind of stuck in a strange limbo. Medium-bodied beer that leaves a sweet-stickiness on your teeth as it heads down your gullet.

I tried, but couldn't get into this beer like many of my friends. It's tasty, but when I want a beer, it's not exactly what I'm looking for. Not "beer" enough to be a good fruit beer, and not authentic or sour enough to be a lambic. The 9% ABV is covered up very well, as almost no alcohol is detectable, but I will probably pass on this brew next time.

09-25-2012 11:59:24 | More by tectactoe
JamesShoemaker

3.98/5  rDev +9.9%

On tap at The Strutt in Kalamazoo (closed!).

Appearance - pink! Very strange color for even a fruit beer, fizzles like soda.

Smell - you can't detect much from Soft Parade other than a mild sweetness. Plus it tickles your nose.

Taste - what an interesting taste, lots of berry presence, maybe some softer fruits like peaches or nectarines. I don't generally like fruit beer because it tastes like chemicals, but this one manages to pull off an authentic feel.

Mouthfeel - meh. Too carbonated.

Overall - this is a good beer to have at a party. It always turns out to be a hit, and it's reasonably inexpensive ($8-$11 / 6 pack).

09-21-2012 21:41:37 | More by JamesShoemaker
AdamCzap

4.68/5  rDev +29.3%

I found this to be an excellent summer beer to beat the heat. The high ABV means you won't need much to get the job done. I have this beer on tap from a 1/6 barrel purchased locally in Michigan.

The beer pours about a 1" foamy head. The head is a slightly pink-ish/purple color as is the rest of the beer. It's color gives perfet compliment to it's acceptable level of fruity taste. I've had "fruity" beers, but I wouldn't call this one of them. The hops are more present in this than what I'm used to. It has a nice hoppy bite to it and the fruit is more during the finish and after taste.

I absolutely love this beer - it's refreshing and certainly helps beat the heat!

07-17-2012 16:08:43 | More by AdamCzap
megahurts4

Louisiana

4.23/5  rDev +16.9%

Shorts Soft Parade
On tap at Buffalo Wild Wings in Marquette, MI

Appearance: red, small head, and good lacing.

Smell: light fruityness and a nice malt.

Taste: slightly malty, cherry, orange, a faint hint of lemon, and a touch of honey.

Mouthfeel: medium-ight and smooth.

Overall:
This is a decent fruit beer. Light enough for many to enjoy, but full flavored enough to satisfy my tastes.

06-05-2012 04:46:57 | More by megahurts4
Lillenk

3.95/5  rDev +9.1%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a very nice redish pinkish color but not cloudy at all and a nice white/pink head.

Smell was not huge. I was expecting a very fruity smell and it was not there.

Taste was pretty good. Definately not your typical fruity beer. This one was beer first with a slight hint of fruit. Very nicely done.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly easy to drink. You have to be careful with this one because it does not feel like you are drinking a 9% ABV beer at all.

Overall a great beer. A fruit beer that I didn't feel was too "girly" or too "Mike's Hard Lemonade". Very well done by the guys at Short's.

06-05-2011 22:19:48 | More by Lillenk
tigg924

3.2/5  rDev -11.6%

Had on tap at the Sunset

Appearance: hazy with sediment, 1/4 inch head, brownish red in color, high carbonation

Smell: berries: strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries

Taste: follows the nose with some honey and bubble gum flavor

Mouthfeel: very sweet, light bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability: Not a bad beer, but I was hoping for more from Shorts. The advertised rye really does not show up. Super sweet in the lines of Leinie's berry weiss. Be careful the alcohol is well hidden. My least favorite from Short's so far.

03-13-2011 18:05:16 | More by tigg924
AScribjr

4.9/5  rDev +35.4%

This beer pours with alot of carbonation as expected., considering all the different berries.The red hues is a nice look. The berry taste so delightful on your tongue. Being this is such a drinkable beer beware of the results after too many...thank you SHORTS for a nice beer

12-12-2010 00:52:22 | More by AScribjr
Cyberkedi

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a hazy, translucent, really reddish mahogany - quite appealing to the eye. Malty aroma has a strong overtone of berries, especially raspberries. Raspberry dominates the flavor, which includes hints of blueberry and strawberry as well as malt and hoppy bitterness. Jazzy, tingly, fizzy texture leaves a lively finish.

07-08-2010 00:40:13 | More by Cyberkedi
Lauter73

4.3/5  rDev +18.8%

I only do fruit beers now and then, but this is one I would have again! I enjoyed a nice mixed berry taste. I would say the strawberry and raspberry were the most taste. Liked the color on this one a hazy pinkish amber I guess I would call this one. Nose was great although I cold not place what it reminded me of. If you like fruit beers your sure to like this one.

Please be advised as with all my reviews this one is IMHO. I do not have nor claim to have training in reviewing beers. I' am a simple guy who likes beer. If I do not like a style of beer I will not review it. Although I do keep the style guidelines in mind. All my reviews are simple and short. I tell you IMHO what I think of the beer and how I feel it tastes for that style.

06-11-2010 17:41:17 | More by Lauter73
Magpie14

3.65/5  rDev +0.8%

On draft at Butch's Dry Dock

A: looks like a fruit beer with reddish raspberry tones, orange, and a kiss of copper and brown. When held up to the light exposes a rose almost close to pink color. More or less it looks like a combination of ripe fruit colors. No head and no lace. A close enough look does reveal a mild soft fuzzy ring hugging the glass

S: the nose gathers a light soft character touched with mostly fruity berry-like notes. Some biscuit malts and grains are present with a pinch of sweetness

T: the palate is right in tune with the nose. Bright and sweet fruits ranging from strawberries, raspberries, to juicy red grapes. A light astringency works around after a few sips, nothing overpowering but it starts rather sweet and moves to a tart snap and lingers with a herbaceous leaf-like blueberry character as the sips continue. Toasted malts are far in the back and fruit runs the show. What is nice is that a slight raw edge moves around and pulls in rye-like notes

M: sharp, crisp, and full of life. Body is light to mild in character. Nothing I would call smooth but more refreshing and light than anything

D: for the summer (or anytime for that matter) a must buy throughout the season. For a fruit and vegetable beer I find it one of the more quaffable ones. I usually steer clear from these types of beers...just not a personal favorite of mine. However, this one has the right elements for good drinkability

05-10-2010 22:25:45 | More by Magpie14
icetraxx

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

Poured on-tap at Uptown Grille in my hometown of Commerce.

A: Poured a strawberry red, with thin one finger head that stayed around for the entire beer. Much, much better looking than the murky brown bottle of soft parade that I've poured before.

S: Rasberries, strawberries, other berries. A mildy tangy aroma and some yeasty notes in the background. Much more pleasant than the bottled variety.

T: Tastes like raspberries ,strawberries, cereal grains, and a tiny bit of balancing hop and yeast spiciness, though this one is a bit on the sweet side. Very crisp and clean finish lets you know you are drinking beer, not a wine cooler. By far the best fruit beer I've ever had. Much, much better than the bottled variety. Get this one on-tap, now!

M: Medium body, appropriate for the style. Nothing to get too excited about.

D: I am not a huge fan of the style, though I could have a few of these (while feeling a little guilty about drinking a fruit beer, I will admit).

O: Easily blows the bottled variety of this beer out of the water, and then some. All Short's is better on-tap, no question about this.

02-20-2010 20:01:46 | More by icetraxx
enfield249

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

A - Clear, rose gold in color, white foam head about 1 fingers worth

S - Not much smell, maybe a little fruityness.

T - No one specific fruit, just kind of a general berry/fruit taste.

M - Fairly clean, not to much CO2, a little bit of the fruit stays with you.

D - Meh. Fruit beers are not my favorite to begin with, and this did nothing to change my mind on that account.

12-23-2009 23:49:53 | More by enfield249
adamette

3.68/5  rDev +1.7%

On tap at HopCat in Grand Rapids, MI two days ago. Review from notes taken at the bar. Poured into a clean, clear glass.

A Pink body with creamy head. Nice lacing. Unique, interesting. Bravo! 4.0

S Light fruit, cherry smells. 3.5

T Light fruit, no observable alcohol, reminds me of a lambic. 3.5

M Creamy, full feel but no alcohol feel. 4.0

D Good drinkability for a beer with such a high ABV. 4.0

10-21-2009 03:38:07 | More by adamette
BigAl723

4.2/5  rDev +16%

On tap at Ashley's in Ann Arbor.

A: A beautiful ruby red but a dark ruby color. A nice light white/pink head that is about an inch thick.

S: Fresh fruit. Raspberries, strawberries, and blueberries! The weird part is it has a nice hoppy aroma too. A great combination of fruits and hops make me really excited to try this brew. (Even know I've had it multiple times, just never reviewed it.)

T: A lot like it smells. Crisp, hops, and fruit. It's basically hoppy fruit juice...but with a decent amount of alcohol. A good crisp taste overall.

M: Medium carbonation and a medium mouthfeel. It feels real good in the mouth.

D: Very drinkable. Soft Parade isn't like most fruit beers that can get to be a little "too much" but it seems to be just right. I wouldn't want to drink a whole six pack in a sitting but I could absolutely take out a few of them.

Overall, a really good fruit rye ale from an even more outstanding brewery. I've yet to drink something from Short's I haven't enjoyed!

09-11-2009 00:11:06 | More by BigAl723
Sammy

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at the brewpub, as opposed to the imperial soft parade I picked up a bottle of. Berry aroma. Reddish brown and lacey. Strawberry taste mainly. More subtle than bold but above average fruit beer. Carbonation appropriate but above average. Drinkable but not something I need to seek out.

08-07-2009 12:33:49 | More by Sammy
Viggo

3.63/5  rDev +0.3%

On tap at HopCat in GR.

Pours a clear reddish orange, fruit juice looking, medium sized white head forms, drops to a thick lace ring, some chunks stick to the glass, looks good. Smell is neat, fresh fruit salad, berries, strawberries, bit of brown sugar sweetness, biscuit, more berries, cherries, a bit earthy, very fresh smelling, pretty cool. Taste is similar, tons of fruit, very juicy, berries, some wheat and biscuit, strawberies, sugary fruit juice middle, mango, again pretty neat. Mouthfeel is light to medium bodied with medium carbonation, very smooth. ABV is very hidden, and the fresh fruit character is great but don't think I would want a full pint of this one.

07-03-2009 15:32:08 | More by Viggo
grub

Ontario (Canada)

sampled on tap at hopcat june 12/09.

pours a nice red colour, more orangey at the edges and brownish at its center. the small white head drops fairly fast and leaves plenty of lace behind.

aroma is great. big mix of fruit. green apple, pear, raspberry, strawberry. bit of cherry and cranberry. hint of alcohol. touch of funk. white bread and cracker. bit of spice. some lagery character too. light caramel. bit of fruity sweetness.

taste is nice. low bitterness level. nice fruit blend. strawberry, raspberry, cherry, blackberry. touch of apple and pear. light fruity sweetness. white bread and a bit of cracker. light alcohol.

mouthfeel is good. medium body with a fairly dry finish. just over medium carbonation level.

drinkability is nice. pretty well balanced, but the above average carbonation and the sweetness slow you down a bit. still, a nice complex fruit character that i'm enjoying.

06-30-2009 21:45:52 | More by grub
AVDeuph

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

I'm reviewing after the actual serving, which was on tap earlier this evening at the Uptown Grille.

First of all I need to mention that my girlfriend ordered KBS on tap, and I ordered the Soft Parade. It made for a rather hilarious-looking moment (in my defense, I've had KBS on tap recently, and have some bottles at home).

This came to me looking all sparkly and dainty in a pint glass. Nice candy-red color and a cute one finger pink head.

Jokes aside, this beer is pretty good. Nice and strong fruit aroma that makes no joke about what you are about to experience. Taste is aligned with the nose, very fruity, like a mixed fruit lambic. Cherries, strawberries, you name it.

Strong carbonation that makes the beer light and refreshing. Drinkability, if you like sweet-ass fruits, is excellent of course. If I was in a fruity mood, I'd throw down several easily. I had this before my dinner and it made a very nice appetizer course.

05-22-2009 05:31:31 | More by AVDeuph
Kegatron

4.28/5  rDev +18.2%

On tap @ the HopCat (Grand Rapids, MI) on 4/23/09. Served in a cervoise glass.

Pours a brilliant clear ruby with a thin head of brite-white foam. Good flareup around the edges that leaves some thick swathes of lace down the sides of the glass. The aroma is an even mix of lush berry fruitiness and rye notes, with some floral hop character in the back. I'm finding it hard to pinpoint exactly what berries are in this from the nose, but raspberries are sticking out to me the most. I'm also getting a layer of heavy warmth as well, that gives away the ABV a bit.

The taste is the same, with tart berry flavors up front that blends into some big rye accents in the back. Much like the aroma, this is all nicely blended together to the point that I had trouble pinpointing the extact berry flavors that I was tasting. Dry notes of rye and light bitterness pull up the finish. The mouthfeel has a medium bodied carbonation but the overall feel is very soft in the mouth, giving this a surprisingly easy feel despite the higher ABV. Very nice!

Very interesting imperial style fruit beer from Short's. Lots of fresh berry flavors going on in this and the rye character added a different layer of complexity to it. Plus it definitely earned it's name with that mouthfeel, remaining soft and easy despite the alcohol presence in this. Well done!

04-30-2009 12:16:09 | More by Kegatron
Deuane

4.33/5  rDev +19.6%

A-Brilliant, reddish copper with a thin white film for a head.

S-Like fruit infused sweet tart punch. Bit of sugary sweetness in the background.

T-Sharp, tart and biiter (like citrus rind) complex fruit flavours that run wild in your mouth! Hard to pinpoint any one dominate flavour. A VERY fruit forward concoction that uses "beer" as it's delivery method.

M-Medium-light bodied, tart, very sharp, crisp with a lingering rind like bitterness.

D-Without question, a most impressive complex fruit combination. A very interesting and flavourful brew!

04-12-2009 17:20:31 | More by Deuane