Short's Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Soft ParadeShort's Soft Parade

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.
4.21/5  rDev +16%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Dark red, ruby color with hints of pink. A little cloudy with a little head. The aroma is delightful--all sorts of fruit notes. I definitely picked up on all the different berries. The taste is just as great. Can taste strawberries and all the fruit. Its a great beer for summer. It tastes and feels light, yet also has strong alcohol content and is so packed with flavor. Definitely one of my favorite beers!

Soft Parade is a fruity beer. It has the perfect balance of a beer taste and fruity. This has a very high alcohol percentage. It is around 9% alcohol. The color is an autumn color. The aroma is fruity. I smell strawberry and raspberries. This is a cloudy beer and served on tap and also in a bottle.

4.37/5  rDev +20.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Color: dark ruby red
Clarity: very cloudy
Aroma: fruity with strong strawberry and raspberry hints
Flavor: very fruity (strawberry, raspberry, blueberry) with a very good balance of sweet and bitter flavor
Overall: I love this beer! It is fruity, smooth and refreshing.

4.04/5  rDev +11.3%

A beautiful brick red with poor white head and minimal lacing. The smell on the the other hand is robust and very fruity. Strawberry, raspberry, and blueberries all very noticeable. The taste is a good bitter followed by the fruitiness. The alcohol warmth is quite nice in my opinion. A the mouthfell makes this a pretty drinkable brew overall. Id say in the end this is a really drinkable brew without the the artificial taste of berries.

4.49/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Red with a small head when I was served it.

Smell: has a light raspberry fruity smell with some malts

Taste: some malts, initial fruity taste of raspberry and oranges. Very smooth and light for a high percent beer.

Overall: Really good beer and I would recommend! It is unique in how crisp and fruity it is but yet still very strong and not as filling as some other beers I would compare with.

3.24/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Pours a cloudy, pink grapefruit color with tiny bubbles and a thin off-white head. Persistent lacing.

Mild fruity aroma -- berries with a bit of citrus.

Taste is initially berries -- blueberry and strawberry with some tartness and a hint of malt and spice. No ethanol flavor, or at least it's hidden in the fruit. Low hop bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium body with low carbonation.

This is well balanced -- the fruit is not overpowering and countered with the tartness and a bit of spice and malt. Fruit beers are generally my least favorite style so I'm biased here but this is a fair to good beer for the style. There's enough going on to be interesting if you like the style.

4.09/5  rDev +12.7%

This Is my very first sweet and fruity beer. I usually drink an IPA or high IBUs
But I actually loved this beer
A- average defiantly has a tiny of red in the color
S- amazing aroma, fruity and floral
T- you can diffidently taste the many berries! This beer may not be for everyone but I sure love it.
M- goes down nice and easy with medium carbonation with a lovely aftertaste.
O- a great beer. Having something different is always fun and I never thought I would like a sweet or fruity beer but then I tried this one. And I definitely fell for it!

3.33/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

A dark red/pinkish rye ale with little head. It looks great almost like an iced tea. An overwhelming burst of berry aroma and taste. Hard to tell its a 9% ABV, flavors are nice but I think it's more tea-like than beer. Very soft mouthfeel. Overall a good beer but I don't think it's for me.

4.49/5  rDev +23.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I've never tasted a beer with so many types of berries. I have to say i have a overwhelming bias for sweet beers. All the berries flows smooth in your mouth once you have a sip, very easy to drink and just an amazing aroma. I highly recommended for anyone who likes sweet beers.

3.62/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Very different feel when you take a sip; it's very light. I do want to correct the ABV, however. It's 7.5, not the 9 that is listed or the 8 some people have mentioned. If you go on the Shorts website it says 7.5. You can definitely smell and taste the fruit. A very different pinkish color.

3.61/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Pint from draft. Pours a solid semi opaque reddish/pink brew with an average head.

Smells of a fresh fruit dish.

Taste is a nice blend of high fruit, tapering with a hefty taste of malt and barley soon too follow. Not too sugary which is great though the aftertaste of bitterness soon follows.

Mouth feel is that of drinking a berry smoothie with a rhubarb pie. Leaves mouth a tad dry.

Pleasant overall. A good night cap.

4.14/5  rDev +14%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Strong fruit smell but amazing almost clear red color. Tastes more like a summer beer. Be careful it tastes very light but hast more than 8% ABV. Very easy to drink but it goes into the direction of lemonade more than beer. Includes blueberries, strawberries, raspberries and blackberries.

3.5/5  rDev -3.6%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

Pours a nice semi cloudy raspberry color with no head. Aroma is fruity with hints of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries. Has a very nice berry flavor but isn't over fruity. Mouth feel is excellent! Makes a very good dessert beer, I can picture myself enjoying one on a hammock on a warm summer day.

12 oz is the perfect serving size don't think I would want much more.

4.31/5  rDev +18.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A- amber or purple color with little head

S- fruity notes

T- lots of fruit flavor come across and are strong, hard to tell that it is 9%

M- smooth and easy drinking for a high alcohol content

O- great summer beer for getting an easy delicious buzz

3.42/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Undated 12 oz bottle continuously refrigerated since before August 2013 purchase. Served in a snifter.

Pours clear, dark rose, looking nearly red in the glass. Small weak head.

Aroma: complex and fruity, with notes of strawberry, raspberry and blackberry.

Flavor: less enticing, with a bitter-sweet nature that seems more in conflict than in balance, with more bitterness and less tartness than ideal. Eventually, there is a nice, lingering, fruity aftertaste.

Feel: light body with somewhat high carbonation.

O: about what one might expewhat one might expect for a beer created as a wine substitute. Treat as a dessert beer.

This beer was extremely pleasant from appearance, aroma, taste and after-taste. A big characteristic for me is after-taste and The Soft Parade was very discrete. In my experience the higher ABV beers tend to always effect me from an after-taste standpoint, so I was pleasantly surprised with this blend.

3.68/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Fruit doesn't always lend much colour to a beer - or flavour for that matter - but those berries were more than generous with The Soft Parade; a dense fruit punch complexion, it isn't cloudy but it certainly isn't transparent either. There's little glow and absolutely no head.

The aroma is far from what I'd consider overly sweet, though its flavours have a very subtle 'Fruit Roll-Up'-type quality that brings me back to my (sugar-addled) childhood. It's also a little reminiscent of a fruit-on-the-bottom yogurt cup (though again is far from saccharine). Perhaps more than anything it reminds me of sangria.

The beer is brewed with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries, any and all of which can be tasted in the flavour. It has a vivid mixed field berry profile that is sumptuous without being overly sweet. The rye malt lends a faintly spicy, earthy character that is a flattering match to the fruit.

The beer is refreshing and highly agreeable and everything else it should be as a fruit beer, but it's also got a firm malty spine behind it and is - wait a minute, let me double check this because I don't believe it - somewhere between 7.5% and 9% alcohol (depending on the batch). So feel free to chug or savor it, either works.

Short's The Soft Parade is a fruit beer with body, character and a restrained, reasonable level of sweetness - I wish there were more on the market like it. I don't think one can expect much more from a standard(ish) fruit beer and I doubt those berry farmers could be any happier with what came of their hard work (I'd take a bottle of this to a jar of jam any day!)

3.69/5  rDev +1.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a stemmed tulip glass.

A: Red in color with a brownish hue and a bit hazy. Pours to a small pinkish head that falls quickly to a thin bubbly collar and no detectable lacing.

S: Lots of sweet fruit (the strawberries and raspberries really come through) and a touch of tartness.

T: The taste is also dominated by sweet fruit (strawberries, raspberries and a bit of blueberry); there is a nice touch of acidity to help balance the beer out. The finish is short and very clean.

M: Medium-light body which is impressive given its 9% ABV; the beer is light and easy to drink. Lots of carbonation.

O: A good fruit beer whose target audience maybe the white wine drinker looking for something fruity and refreshing. For me, drier fruit and a bit of Brett could transform it into something special (though I understand that this is not the intent of the brewery). A very nice beer for what it is.

3.6/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

pored 12oz bottle into Teku

A - A cloudy bright ruby red that shimmers in the sunlight. One finger white head fades into a thin ring and leaves only a few splotches of lacing on the glass.

S - Fruity scents dominate, hard to distinguish any specific fruit. Some floral and rye notes are beneath all the fruit.

T - A somewhat odd blend of fruit, strawberry, blueberry, raspberry, mixed with grain and a light spicy rye. It seems to improve in flavor as I drink. You really do not notice the alcohol given the ABV.

M - Light bodied, clean, fruity and refreshing, mildly tart.

O - This is decent, but I am used to New Glarus fruit beer and it lacks the fresh fruit and tart finish that I truly enjoy.

2.83/5  rDev -22%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

poured from a bottle into a bruery snifter
darkish reddish color and not much head if any
smell is heavy berries with an emphasis on strawberry
taste is light and has is nicely carbonated
smooth really light easy drinking with a slight tartness to it from the raspberry
i would like it to be more of a sour style as opposed to more of wine coolerish
i drank about half the bottle and poured out the rest
not my favorite would pass on this next time

3.74/5  rDev +3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Ordered at the Shorts Brewpub restaurant. Served in snifter glass.

It presented a ruby red color. No foam present, overall it almost has the appearance of a fruity red wine. It smelled great. I picked up primarily strawberries, other fruits and some malt. Taking a whiff of this beer, I anticipated it would taste fantastic.

However the flavor of the beer is a little lacking. Once again I tasted primarily strawberries and a little malt. But the flavor was not complex in my opinion. I expected a bit more from this; there was no pow in my mouth with this one. Indeed this would be a great beer to drink outside on a hot day to quench your thirst. It served me for that purpose.

What's really striking is that it clocks in at 9% ABV. There was no booziness that was noticeable. So you'd have to be careful because before you know it you'll finish the glass.

Overall good beer. Not something I would hunt down but is worth trying if you're in the area. I loved the smell of this beer but feel it needs a bit more complexity.

3.47/5  rDev -4.4%

From notes. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip.

My pour is a medium golden color with light edges and nearly no head.

The nose is a mildly concerning blend of strawberries, medicine, fusel alcohol, raspberries, and blueberries, in that order.

Unfortunately, the flavor is just a mess. Each one of the berries comes through a little bit, but it just does not come together as a beer. There is no real malt presence to speak of, just the light fruit flavors, synethic alcohol, and a little bit of cough syrup.

The body is way too light for what I would want this beer to be. Of course, the alcohol burn and strange flavors do not really contribute in that area either. The carbonation is right in the middle of the spectrum.

Another Short’s bottle disaster. At this point I don’t know why I open them.

4.01/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This was a favorite beer of both me and my wife during a recent Michigan trip.

A- The body of the beer is a ruby pink coloration. The head was white with a hint of raspberry. No lacing and the head quickly resolves.

S- I really am digging the berry overload kicking up from this bottle. Strawberries, raspberries, blackberries, and blue berries all in ripe bloom. Sweet and tart berry aromas swim up from my glass.

T- The flavor is a mélange of berries. Some swallows are sweeter while some are a bit tart. No off flavors no a hint of alcohol.

M- The body is a bit thinner than I would like it but its still very nice. No hint of 9%abv. The sweetness of the fruit has a dry finish.

O- This beer had me at the aroma. I love the mix of berries in the aroma. The flavor could be amped up a bit, but would it be the soft parade anymore? This is a beer I wish was distributed to Cincinnati.

2.99/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance is an opaque reddish purple color with lots of carbonation. Not much head.

Smell is boozy and fruity. Raspberries and strawberries dominate.

Taste is strange, starts with the berry flavors (strawberry, raspberry, blackberry) but the rye and grain dominates the finish. Left a bit of an unpleasant aftertaste in the back of my throat.

Mouthfeel is light-bodied and heavily carbonated. The aftertaste is a problem though.

Overall this was disappointing. I think they are trying too hard to find a happy median between a rye ale and a fruit beer - these flavors just didn't meld well for me.

2.07/5  rDev -43%
look: 2.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2

12 oz bottle. Pours neon pinkish red with nearly no head. Wheaty aroma with big time strawberry wine brings me back to trying to score in the woods freshman year of college with a bottle of Boon’s Farm. Tastes like watered down strawberry juice with blueberry vomit. Dirty dirty wheat finish. Tastes just like when I "scored", too (well, she scored at least). Wtf is this? Light bodied with low carbonation. This is gross, bro.

Short's Soft Parade from Short's Brewing Company