Short's Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Soft ParadeShort's Soft Parade

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.

(Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Soft Parade Alström Bros
JamnesCameron

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a purplish red with about two fingers of off white head. The head does not last long and after about a minute, leaves about an eighth of an inch of foam.

Aromas of massive fruit. Strawberry dominates. Then the raspberry/blackberry. Blueberries kind of hard to pick out of the mix. No malt, no hops, no underlying base beer discernable.

First sip is all fruit, like a big bowl of mixed berries. Not sweet, and a little "cherry stone" bitterness hangs out at the end, possibly from the strawberry and raspberry seeds? Perhaps some bite from the rye.

Mouthfeel is medium/light, with some dryness.

Very drinkable dessert beer. I wouldn't want to session this, as it starts to taste like a wine cooler after about 3/4 the way through the bottle.

11-15-2010 02:30:47 | More by JamnesCameron
JLeege

3.68/5  rDev +1.1%

Bottle poured into a tulip.

Appearance- Pours a vibrant amber color, failry cloudy, with a large bubbly white head. Good lace.

Smell- Smells like strawberry pop-tarts. Sweet and fruity, lots of berries. I swear I am getting some of the fake vanilla icing as well.

Taste- Tastes pretty much like the aroma. More blueberry is present in the taste, strawberry takes the back seat. Not a bad flavor, but this seems more syrupy than your top notch fruit beers.

Mouthfeel- high carbonation, but a medium body.

Overall- This is not bad. I would drink it again, but I wouldnt want to commit to a full six pack. If I can find more singles of this I would pick it up every now and then.

11-09-2010 04:06:08 | More by JLeege
klikger

Wisconsin

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

12 oz bottle served in a Piraat tulip

A - Light brown with some pink, no head, good lacing

S - Raspberry, blueberry

T - Trio of berries (straw, rasp, & black) & some booze --> fresh and fruity turning slightly malty --> touch of heat in addition to sweetness on the end

M - A bit syrupy, but not overly so

D - One and done for me, but it was enjoyable

11-06-2010 03:20:25 | More by klikger
jmich24

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

A: Somewhat cloudy ruby red. Pinkish two finger head. Nice lacing.
S: Sweet and tart. Very fruity especially strawberries and raspberries.
T: First thing that comes to mind is sweet homemade wine. Very fruity almost like a wine cooler. Zero bitterness.
M: Very sweet, crisp finish, highly carbinated.
D: This is to sweet to be drinkable for me.

Perfect beer for your wine/wine cooler drinking wife. Personally I will pass.

11-05-2010 01:09:34 | More by jmich24
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.43/5  rDev +21.7%

during the great pumpkin carving of 2010, this was one of many new beers sampled. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/29/2010.

the pour was a bit of a gusher but settled down quickly so no worries. nice light pinkish hue to it with a foamy off white head that left a light lacing on the sides of the glass.

i am a sucker for a good fruit beer and this hit me off just right. a near perfect aroma of berries and sweet fruit notes came through the air, really just wonderful and opened my eyes instantly. smooth flavor, raspberry, strawberries, light peach and plum notes with a hint of light citrus and a spike at the end. a wonderful mix of fruit flavors and light body that is balanced to near perfection. light dry finish with a long lasting flavor sealed the deal.

overall simply wonderful and something i would have no issues with going after again. another winner from shorts.

10-30-2010 18:40:12 | More by mikesgroove
cetherid

Indiana

3.65/5  rDev +0.3%

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a dark pink/ruby color. about 1 fingers of bubbly head that is slightly pink.

S.

A nice berry smell with some funky grainy smell. The rye maybe? A little reminiscent of another Short's brew I had. Decent smelling, but was hoping for something a little more potent.

T.

a little better than smell. Some tart (but sweet) berries. Mainly getting the raspberry/strawberry taste.

M.

light bodied. very carbonated/bubbly. A little tartness in there leaving the mouth a bit dry.

D.

Decent, but I doubt I'd have more than one in a sitting. Plus shorts is difficult to find in my area. I'll give it some brownie points for being high ABV but easy to drink. If I had it fresh on tap, I'd definitely try it.

10-28-2010 01:12:10 | More by cetherid
Thorpe429

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Reviewed from notes. Thanks to mcallister for this extra.

Pours a beautiful pink ruby with a nice lightly-tinted head that has a bit of a reddish character. Nose is soft fruits with quite a few different berries; the strawberry really came through to me with the blueberry coming through to a lesser extent. Nice blueberry and strawberry flavor throughout. In the end, the feel was pretty decent and it drank well enough, but the unique concept only lasted for a bit before this started to taste less interesting and wasn't much to keep me drinking.

10-25-2010 00:40:54 | More by Thorpe429
emmasdad

Colorado

3.43/5  rDev -5.8%

Picked this one up in a recent trade, and split it with my wife tonight. Poured a very murky purplish-brown color, with a big, off-white head, that is shot through with pink and purple swirls. Tart berries on the nose, along with a hint of orange juice. On the palate, this one is medium-bodied, moderately carbonated, lightly tart, with some fruit flavor (though mostly citrus). Pretty drinkable, but nothing I'll try to find again.

10-22-2010 02:59:22 | More by emmasdad
dfillius

3.95/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured into a pint glass.
A: Aggressive pour yields 1/2 finger of pink head with fair retention. Cloudy pink liquid is spot on for a fruit beer and looks decent.

S: Strawberry, raspberry, some bread. Pleasant

T: Tart, fruity, but kind of bland. Citrusy. Has an overall flavor of jam on toast. Not cloying thankfully. The tartness and flavor is overall reminiscent of New Glarus Raspberry Tart.

M: Tart, but lands a bit flat near the end of the sip. The 9% is not apparent at all!

D: I like it and I could drink another. I do think I would buy 6.

10-17-2010 14:53:10 | More by dfillius
TMoney2591

2.95/5  rDev -19%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

Another thieved bottle from my brother. Good man, he. It pours a clear pinkish-red topped by over a finger of white foam. The nose comprises mixed berries (all sorts of 'em, baby), with a minor undertow of medicine. The taste brings back the berry bushels, dragging along some flowers, cobwebs, and a light rubber. The body is on the lighter side, with a moderate carbonation and a relatively dry finish. Overall, I didn't really enjoy this brew all that much. It sounded pretty tasty, but it seems it was executed a bit poorly.

10-14-2010 23:48:43 | More by TMoney2591
wedgie9

Tennessee

3.58/5  rDev -1.6%

Tasted from bottle. Pours pink orange with a thick pinkish head that leaves solid lace. The nose is super fruity with strawberry dominating and a toasty malt backbone that is just underlying. The flavor is more blueberry dominant with the toastiness a little more pronounced. The body is light with heavy carbonation and a medium fruity finish.

09-27-2010 19:38:34 | More by wedgie9
MrMcGibblets

3.18/5  rDev -12.6%

A: poured into a nonic, this was a bright reddish/pinkish tinged amber with a dense, creamy head and lacing that persisted all the way through to the end of the beer. high marks here mostly for the beautiful, durable head and lace.
S: berry cocktail with a hint of caramelly malt underneath. it'd be tough to tell what kind of berries are used without reading the bottle. also, there is something else going on i can't quite put my finger on-the toasted rye? probably, and it seems out of place for me.
T: SAA. medium to full sweetness of fruit balanced mainly by sourness. puckering finish. it's obvious shitloads of real fruit were used in this. i'm no brewer, but i think a paler malt base may have showcased the fruit better.
M: medium-bodied, frothy, well carbonated.
D: the mixed berries are huge in this, and it could get tiring after a while, with the big sweet and sour thing going on. also a pretty big beer at 7.2%. or is it 9%?

09-06-2010 14:46:26 | More by MrMcGibblets
kbutler1

3.1/5  rDev -14.8%

Bottle. Pours a very strawberry red color with a slight ligtly pink head. The aroma is not as sweet as I would have thought with some strawberry but also some sort of offputting aroma that I can't put my finger on. Hmm, the taste is well kind of blah. Some strawberry, pretty muted fruit flavors. Light mouthfeel with a good amount of carbonation when you drink it. Almost has a malt liquor taste like zima to it. This one is not a winner for me and I really like Shorts. Maybe needs to be fresh from the tap to really get the full effect.

08-27-2010 01:14:45 | More by kbutler1
OWSLEY069

3.85/5  rDev +5.8%

Pours a hazy pink-ish to red color with a light pink head. In the aroma, dry fresh berries. In the taste, dry berries, not sugary of sweet fruit at all, more ale like. A smooth and light mouthfeel, with a dry berry aftertaste. Not sugary, not fruity girl like either.

08-25-2010 15:57:29 | More by OWSLEY069
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.75/5  rDev -24.5%

"Lots of times you have to pretend to join a parade in which you're not really interested in order to get where you're going."

--Christopher Morley

Blazing bonfire orange and glazed brick red with a firmly fluffy crown of girlie rose petal pink filling the upper half of the snifter. Bubbles are boiling off the bottom of the glass, which should sustain the cap for quite some time. A lack of tackiness results in nothing more than a few small chunks of suds.

The beer smells like red raspberries, then strawberries, with no blueberry or blackberry whatsoever. It isn't aromatic and there's no hint of the toasted rye. If things don't turn around on the taste buds, this SBC brew will be a disappointment, at least compared to expectations.

Soft Parade is not an explosively flavorful fruit ale, in spite of Short's bona fides and the 9.0% ABV. It's also slightly more bitter than sweet (possibly due to all the CO2), which doesn't help. If you're on the lookout for a panty stripper, look elsewhere.

There's still no earthiness from the rye malt. Actually, it doesn't taste or feel like there's much malt in there at all. The fruitiness is tangy-sour. Again, like unripe red raspberries and strawberries, nothing in the 'purple berry' family at all. This is average fruit ale at best. Check that, it's worse than average.

The mouthfeel is waaay too thin for the ABV and the carbonation is harsh and stinging. A minimal amount of improvement by the bottom of the bottle doesn't change it enough for the next highest score to be granted.

Short's must have made their reputation on the rest of their lineup because Soft Parade is not good beer. This is one parade that I'm not interested in joining, watching or drinking.

08-25-2010 13:31:21 | More by BuckeyeNation
mikey711

A: Pinkish color with some champagne like carbonatin that had a little bit that stuck around.

S: Very fruity, blackberry, blue berry strawberry and some cherries. there is a strange perfumy and a near cheese like quality to it.

T: It tastes a bit like greek yogurt with fruit mixed in. there is definitely alot of blueberry and strawberry notes going on and it is very tanniny

M: Prickly and thin. it was like cheap champagne but not as fun

D: not sure if i want to try this again. it wasnt a bad bottle, just a bit strange but not in a good way

08-22-2010 21:52:12 | More by mikey711
morimech

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Pinkish red color with a large pink head that had good retention before settling to a thick cap. Quite a bit of lacing is left on the glass. Looks very good for a fruit beer. I smell mostly blueberries and strawberries. I also detect some yeast of the Belgian variety. A nice aroma but not overly strong and easy to pick out the various qualities. I get a lot more malt and yeast in the flavor. The berries are still there but it is more in the finish. Strawberries being the berry I mostly taste. Something about fruit beer mouthfeel that I find unappealing. It sort of disappears from the mouth leaving a strawberry aftertaste. Not a beer I would want more than a 12oz bottle in a day, but it has good flavor and overall a better than average fruit beer.

08-15-2010 21:20:20 | More by morimech
sophisticated

3.38/5  rDev -7.1%

Gotta admit, the label appealed to me. It always does. I see a fruit beer that looks cool and I think, "maybe this will be the one I like." Inevitably I am wrong. However, this was better than plenty of other fruit beers I have tried.

It poured a hazy peach/red amber. Small bubbly white head. A bit of viscious residue on glass.

The smell was strong. Sweet candy. Peach. A touch of alcohol. My dad said, "fruity as all get out!" when I asked for his opinion.

I could taste strawberry, raspberry, maybe blackberry. Not much blueberry or snozzberry. Yeast tasted similar to some Belgian ales. There was a touch of artificial plasticness but it went away after a bit. Malts, tartness, and alcohol.

Wouldn't seek it out, but it was okay.

08-15-2010 18:57:41 | More by sophisticated
king75

4.13/5  rDev +13.5%

Looks awesome! A pinkish reddish hue, with a two inch pink foam head.

Smells of blueberries and strawberries are unmistakable.

Taste is sweet and berry flavors permeate throughout, almost like a wine but still has a good beer flavor.

Mouthfeel is really light and crisp, not oily at all.

Notes: Really different, never had a beer of this fashion so I have nothing to compare it too, but I liked it and I would definitely drink it again.

08-14-2010 23:23:21 | More by king75
optimistictour

3.9/5  rDev +7.1%

Served from a beautifully labeled dark bottle into a pint glass.

This one I nearly bought on name alone - Soft Parade anyone? If only it was Soft Machine, I'd have picked up a case. Thankfully a quick read of the details enticed me to drop this in my mixed six pack and open it first when I got home.

First of all, it's got a pink head. Seriously. All jokes aside, this was a surprise even given the listing of berries on the label, yet completely appropriate once I inhaled its scent and got my first taste. Darker and more opaque than most anything I've seen of its type, the appearance here signals a heartier time than most wine-leaning ales. It also signals the 7+% abv. I like it.

Smelling of everything the documentation mentions - namely blue-, straw-, rasp-, and blackberries - the presence in my nostrils still manages to underwhelm, if only for a lack of sheer presence. I'm treated to all of these wonderful fruits I love, but have to really work to reach the olfactory pleasure centers.

Taste is where this particular blend is fully redeemed. Managing to be, as the description above notes, "for those ladies who enjoy their wine," The Soft Parade never tries to pretend it's anything other than an ale. This is certainly no wine cooler. The aforementioned abv and a solid (especially for the type) mouthfeel combine to satisfy my palette as any respectable beer should while reaching for a more wine-leaning demographic in both its satisfying taste and that effervescent pink topping.

As if all this isn't enough to indicate so, Soft Parade is easy to lay down, and I'd take a session any day. Just not every day. I can't wait to pour this in front of friends and hide my smirk as they remark about the color before fully experiencing it. A proud example of its breed.

08-12-2010 00:03:17 | More by optimistictour
silentjay

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

pours a hazy reddish amber with a generous portion of pink-tinted fluffy head that retains and laces well.

smells of tart fruits, sweet berries, a big kick of belgian-style yeast and some light bready malts.

taste is very strong in sweet and tart fruits. not the sour puckering tartness i was hoping for or expecting, but more the flavor of fruit that is not yet ripe. yeast and malt are hidden behind this which is a shame.

rather light body with plenty of carbonation and a syrupy feel going down which leads to a lingering tart/sweet finish.

drinkability gets better as you get accustomed to the way the yeast and fruit work together, though it never works for me. Relatively different, but not one I will be heading back to very often.

07-27-2010 02:59:29 | More by silentjay
MbpBugeye

3.5/5  rDev -3.8%

A- I cant really complain about the appearance at all. Its a quite pretty, glowing ruby topped off with a thick white head that has only a small tint of pink. The head puts up a good fight and leaves lots of lacing. The foamy cap never really goes away. Im actually quite glad that this beer is so vibrantly red. When I get a fruit beer, especially one with raspberries and strawberries I want to see a bright red beer. Well done.

S- Smell is weird. When its cold not many berries are present. Im getting a strange smell that reminds me of pork chops with apple sauce on the side. Strawberries are the strongest of the berries. The others kinda meld together. The nose is pretty weak. I wanted a big blast of berries here.

T- Quite tart up front but I would like to see much more tartness throughout. The berry sweetness holds until the very end where a bit of the lightly toasted malts make themselves known.

M- I wish this were more carbonated to help with a crisp biting feel. Instead the carbonation is fluffy and light.

07-27-2010 02:48:35 | More by MbpBugeye
samie85

3.6/5  rDev -1.1%

A-Pours a clear cranberry with two fingers of glistening, rocky white foam.

S-Smells of tart cherries, strawberries, and blackberries with some light malt notes.

T-Tart and raspberry upfront followed by blackberry, a little strawberry, and some light, dry, grainy malt.

M-Heavily carbonated with a light body. The prickly carbonation scrubs the palate and the dry, crisp mouthfeel begs for more.

D-The carbonation level is pretty appropriate for this beer. If I were to change anything, it would probably be to leave out the blackberries as I feel they contribute heavily to the lingering aftertaste I experience, which I'm not a fan of.

07-25-2010 04:52:58 | More by samie85
MrBitterness

4.15/5  rDev +14%

This beer pours a deep amber with a light white head. The nose is quite fruity but the taste is all beer until the end. It is relatively clean without a long lasting mouth feel. It's a great easy drinking summer beer.

As far as fruity beers go, this is a cut above the rest. It is much more beer than fruit.

07-25-2010 02:38:21 | More by MrBitterness
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

3.55/5  rDev -2.5%

GLASS: Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass
TEMP: Cellared @ approx 55 degrees

This one is a medium shade of golden amber with a definite pink overcast. The head is massive, even from an easy pour. It is fluffy and billowy and light pink in color. The retention is pretty impressive. The lacing is spotty, but very sticky.

This smells like a berry salad in my glass. Lots of strawberries and raspberries. Light traces of black/blue berries. Mostly sweet notes, but a nice undertone of tartness is easily found, also. There is also a big-time belgian yeast presence, along with a slight touch of maltiness.

The flavor is not nearly as good as the smell, sadly. This is like a very light wine, maybe a sauvignon blanc, that was used to wash berries and picked up little traces of juices from them. The flavor is good, just very muted, compared to what the nose led me to expect, anyway.

Light-to-medium body on this one, with a high carbonation level. This keeps it sharp and crisp and I'm sure that it would be quite refreshing on a hot day.

This is very drinkable. Especially since the high abv is nowhere to be found, at all.
Sure, I'd drink this again....it just might not be the first 'fruit' beer that I'd grab. I like my fruit beers to be prominently fruit-forward.

07-14-2010 04:14:30 | More by coldmeat23