Short's Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Soft ParadeShort's Soft Parade

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.

(Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Soft Parade Alström Bros
3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks to lgandrew

Pours a hazed dark cherry color with some lighter hues. A thinner head fades into film with some bubbled, patchy lacing on the glass.

An avalanche of fruit in the nose with strawberry, raspberry, and a bit lesser of the blackberry and blueberry. Some jam/jelly-like notes with sweetness.

Slightly acidic fruit notes right up front. A juicy, fruit cocktail wraps around the tongue with a mixed berry consistency. The red fruits seemed more prevalent to me, with some jam and fruit cake-like suggestions. Slight spice from the rye as well. Finishes with a touch of alcohol and a splash of fruit sweetness.

Medium bodied, higher carbonation, a bit prickly and sticky on the tongue. Definitely another unusual Short's beer, and a nice use of fruit without turning the beer into a complete juice cocktail.

3.73/5  rDev +1.9%

12oz bottle poured into my Pint glass.

Another bottle thanks to Jimixr.

A - Clear, reddish amber with a big white fizzy head.

S - Fruit basket here, it is hard to place the individual fruits here.

T - Strawberry, Blueberry, raspberry.

D - Fizzy and light.

O - Refreshing, but a touch sweet due to the fruit.

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%

A - Poured into a Sierra Nevada bulb glass. It pours a light red/pink color. Looks almost like cranberry juice. Minimal head.

S - Smells just like wine. Arbor Mist.

T - Very bland. Do not taste much fruit at all. Think very watered down fruit punch.

M - The mouthfeel is fairly thin, which is perfect for the style.

O - Not much flavor to it. I would like to have seen more fruit flavors poke through. Very easy to drink. Would not go out of my way to have another one, but I is not terrible.

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Another bottle in the monster line up sent to me by kzoobrew, once again: thanks Kevin!

Split bottle poured into my Captain Lawrence stemmed glass.

Appearnace: Ruby red with no discernable head. Some soapy white bubbles cling to the edge of the glass.

Smell: Holy fruit! This smells like fruit punch meets wine meets a fruit roll up. I think the strongest scent is that of the raspberries but you can tell they are not the only player.

Taste: A little watery. I think if this beer had some sour yeast tossed in there it would be a big big winner! However, I find it to be a little lacking. The nose is much more pungent than the taste. It is fruity and the flavors blend together nicely but it does not taste like a beer other than the feel of the carbonation. The 9% abv is very well hidden, not a hint of booze.

Mouthfeel: More carbonation that I would have expected after the lackluster pour. Feel is a good complement for the taste.

Overall: Interesting concept but could have been executed a little better. As I said before, make this a sour and its a big time winner! Not a bad beer by any means but it would certainly be more of a non craft beer drinkers beer as it tastes more along the lines of a mixed drink.

3.55/5  rDev -3%

A - Reddish fruity color, permanent suds and serious lacing. Crazy foam when poured. Cloudy.

S - Smells fruity in the bottle, but no real smell in the glass.

T - Sour for a fruit beer, but also not fruity enough. To be honest, I enjoy this even though it doesn't really fit a style. Hides the alcohol well. Detectable bitterness with no hop aroma or flavor.

M - Good carbonation and medium body.

O - As listed above, doesn't really fit either style, but enjoyable either way. (It doesn't really say it's a particular style anyway). Excellent alcohol hiding and nice twist on a Belgian style ale.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a very nice redish pinkish color but not cloudy at all and a nice white/pink head.

Smell was not huge. I was expecting a very fruity smell and it was not there.

Taste was pretty good. Definately not your typical fruity beer. This one was beer first with a slight hint of fruit. Very nicely done.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly easy to drink. You have to be careful with this one because it does not feel like you are drinking a 9% ABV beer at all.

Overall a great beer. A fruit beer that I didn't feel was too "girly" or too "Mike's Hard Lemonade". Very well done by the guys at Short's.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kurdt1994 for this one. Been dying to try anything by Short's, and he finally came through. From bottle to a nonic pint.

Soft Parade looks like a raspberry iced tea, dark ruby hued with an almost non-existent amount of head. Super fruit aromas are very present with this brew as cherries and other tart fruit dominate the nose. Upon first sip, I found it to be very carbonated. It actually tastes like a sour wine, with equal amounts of sourness and sweetness throughout. Almost has a champagne-bubblyness quality to it. Short's does an incredible job masking the 9% abv...have no idea where it is in this beer. Only 14 IBUs, so there is virtually no hop presence to it.

Overall, this would make a great dessert beer, or perhaps even a drink best saved for a hot Summer day. I appreciate the style, but it's just not something i'd go for normally. Glad I got to try something from this Northern MI brewery.

3.85/5  rDev +5.2%

Bottle shared at the May Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a blush wine color with an airy white head. Raspberries and strawberries are strong on the nose with a solid tartness. Yogurt and cheese are also very distinct. Berry yogurt flavor with an even rye maltiness midpalate. Alcohol is well-hidden but still a little noticeable.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a murky strawberry jam color with a 2 inch light red head that fades to a very thin cap. Bubbly rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. This beer smells like various berry jams. Some mild grain smells come out too. Taste is also of various berry jams with some grains (wheat perhaps). There is a bit of medicinal bitterness in the aftertaste. Carbonation is quite high and has a very prickly feel going down. Perhaps a little too much carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice fruit smells and tastes but it's nothing too exciting.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A - pours a reddish color with a huge, billowing head

S - smells of strawberry jelly, sweet raspberry and a bit of blueberry. It smells like a berry smoothie.

T - Starts off with some strawberry and raspberry sweetness and fades to the darker blueberry and blackberry flavors. It has a jam-like ending with a nice fruit preservative sweetness and a bit of bitterness and spicy rye. I have never had a fruit beer that tasted like this before. It was really like drinking a mixed berry smoothie.

M - smooth carbonation that dances around the palate

D - Interesting fruit beer to say the least - I was hoping for something with a fruit taste if it had 200 lbs of fruit added to the mix. It reminded me of a fruit spread and a fruit smoothie...almost like a hybrid between the two. I have really been looking forward to trying something from this brewery and have to thank Pittsburghkid for the opportunity.

3.05/5  rDev -16.7%

I think this was bottled March 24 2011, based on the label.

A - A lovely rosy/pink body with a nice light pink head. Kind of a gay looking sort of thing, not that there's anything wrong with that.

S - Bit of a tart sweetness. Smoky/burnt notes in the background, kind of off smells.

T - Tart and crisp, bit of wheaty something or other. An odd flavor tasting kind of like plastic. Hmm. I think I am going to stop drinking Shorts Beers.

M - Light, crisp, fine. Nothing exciting. Perhaps a bit dry.

O (D) - there are some weird flavors in here that do not fit. So I don't care that much for this beer.

2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

I am just not a fan of fruit beers at all. Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a red color with a small pinkish head. Aroma is of quite fruity and fairly tart, the raspberries and strawberries are what I smell the most along with some sugary notes. The flavor is slightly tart and very fruity with alot of raspberry along with some sugary notes and the 9% ABV is really well hidden. The body is light with a slightly dry mouthfeel. Overall a pretty solid Fruit Beer, but fruit beers like this arent really my style, this was more fruit than beer IMO.

3.08/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

shared with whiterascal

A: pours out an orangish-red color with a very light pink head. it looks very fluffy, and then fell somewhat quickly.

S: i get straw and berries. it doesnt have much sweetness in the aroma which is a good surprise for me. it does have a jam like berry aroma. i get mostly strawberry, and some tart raspberries. there is some light citrusy lemon notes as well. i also get a weird earthy aroma, possibly from the toasted ryel

T: so my first thought was whoa. it is a little different. you get some of the spicy rye in the front, and then i get berry. It has some tartness like a raspberry or blackberry. it finishes dry and somewhat bitter. i also get a nutty flavor as well.

M: it has a medium-thin body with high carbonation.

O: this is an ok beer, that I don't think i would seek out. i dont know if i would drink it again either.

First off, I went in expecting Leinie's Berryweiss, and was pleasantly suprised that it was not that type of drink. It is nowhere near as sweet, fruity, or, well, blatant as BW. A nice crisp berry scent, which is balanced in flavor by the malt. I can see myself having a few of these at the beach, or maybe a picnic in the summer. Is it a "chick beer"? Maybe. Is it strong enough to knock you on your ass if you underestimate it? Yep. It's not Zima, It's not Boone's farm, it's just kinda....good. Give it a shot!

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

a reddish pour of something cloudy. With a very little reddish head. Of three fingers. Nose of berry and grain. Sort of a jungle juice of all the berries with no particular hints of alcohol. Palate is strawberry pulp and mild crisp of dryness. Great fruit and summer high alcohol beer. Soft fruit tart mild wheat husk and i subtle woody bitterness.

Photo of
2.3/5  rDev -37.2%

Appearance - This beer is rusty pink in the glass with no head to speak of.
The aroma is sweet berry, but more like Swedish Berries candy than fresh raspberries.
Taste is thin, slightly tart, and finishes like Kool Aid with a bit of a kick. I expected intense fruit flavour or typical beer flavours accented with fruit; this is neither. It’s thin and vaguely sweet, almost like fruit flavoured diet pop. It has 9%ABV and doesn’t taste like much at all. If I tasted this blind, I don’t think I would even guess it was beer. It’s not an unpleasant drink, but not what I expected from any sort of beer.

4.35/5  rDev +18.9%

Thanks a bunch to markwise, he sent this as an extra in our trade.

Pours amber with a pinkish hue, with lots of clarity and zero bubbling from the bottom of the glass. The head is very plentiful, with three fingers generated by a soft sideways pours from a low height. Very, very pillowy, cloudy head with its own pinkish appearance, though not as striking as the body of the beer. Dissipates at a slow rate to a half-finger cap that stays for the duration of the beer; leaves a good amount of spotty lace.

Nose is berries, and lots of them. Raspberries come out the most to me, with the seeds being a pungent and specific scent, but I can catch the unique blackberries in it too. Blueberries and strawberries are mentioned on the bottle, but I guess in the nose they offer just a bit of backing to the other two main players. Not a sniff of anything except fruit, and thankfully the fruit is really good.

Taste adds a healthy rye element that I'm a huge sucker for; the little tinge of spice and unique flavors of rye beers just add a lot to almost any kind of beer in my opinion, and that was before this beer. Fruit does hold the reigns and call the shots for the duration of the beer though, and strawberries and blueberries come out more here. The beer isn't sour at all, with a touch of tartness being ironed out by the malt backbone. This is a very tasty beer, and I wish I had more. Cideresque.

Mouthfeel is crisp but not thin, and carbonation is surprisingly not very high. The weight is just right and the finish is neutral thanks to the malts. Just a bit of tingling on the tongue from carbonation/fruit is a nice touch. Drinkability is through the roof; who doesn't like fresh fruit? It isn't too sweet in my opinion either. Really great beer in my estimation.

3.48/5  rDev -4.9%

An interesting looking beer thanks to grub.

Pours a huge head that mounds an inch + over the top of the pint glass, a pink pillowy head, that fades semi slowly with a messy looy, over a clear rosy slight pink orange red color.

Nose has lots of fruit, like fruit juice, a slight sour tart fruit but not much, mostly fresh fruit punch, strawberries, raspberries, other bright berries, light sweet malty base, plenty of malts and sweetness, and after all the fruit and the head dies down, the yeasty aroma really comes through like a strong Belgian dubbel yeast or something.

Taste is sweet to start, fruit punch, lots of fruit juices, strawberries, raspberries, bright berries in general again, light sweet malts, a bit of a bitter berry seed like taste, a bit of a yeasty taste, some creamy malts and a light toasty bready malt, fairly heavy and a bit of booze, light tart mouth watering taste. Finishes still semi sweet, sticky, a big flemmy, light warming and slightly tingly booze, malts, and lots of fruit flavors.

Mouth is a bit heavier bodied but not that heavy, decent carbonation.

Overall meh, lots of fruit, too fruity, a bit boozy, very yeasty too!

3.78/5  rDev +3.3%

Purchased from Keweenaw Co-Op for $10.99/6 pack. Poured from bottle into snifter.

Appearance: Pours a clean looking raspberry with bubbly single finger white head. Copperish. Almost has a "Faygo Rockin' Rye" appearance.

Smell: Fruity. To be honest, the first thing I thought when I put this up to my nose was Founders Rubaeus. So, granted, I feel like I'm comparing it the whole time to that. I know they are different beers. I'm getting slight rye, but not much. Mostly fruit, consistent of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries...Almost like a V8 Splash.

Taste: Okay, the taste sets it apart. Crisp, dry, rye character supports the sweet/bitter fruit profile. I feel it has a nice profile, I see what they did with the rye. It provides a nice dry backbone to showcase the fruit sweetness and good harmony.

Mouthfeel: Tight bubbles. Almost a champagne feel. I like it. It's lively, fresh, and fruity. Good spring/summer beer.

Drink and overall: Honestly, this is like the tenth time I've had this beer. I am now ticking it. I thought going in, it would be a C+ beer, but I think I'm going a little higher. I enjoyed it more this time as I gave it time to develop and really look into the complex body. Good work again Joe.

Thanks weizenbob!

A dark Red translucent. Thick head about a fingers worth.

S Very good smell. A but hoppy in the front and behind that is all the berries described on the label. which are : strawberries, bluberries, blackberries, razberries.

T I like it. It is basically a really nice pale ale with this after taste of berries.

M this is a much thicker beer than I thought but thats good with me

O overall this was a good beer.I thought the berries would be too overpowering when i originally smelled this, but it turned out to be nicely balanced. I will be seeking this out again through trade.

3.13/5  rDev -14.5%

Received in trade from jbck109 thanks for the opportunity. Pours a slightly cloudy pink color with a huge fluffy white head that recedes slowly but sticks itself to everything in site. Smells fruity and tart. Non descript tart fruit is really all I can find in the nose. Where's the beer? Taste is again sweet fruity and tart. I get lots of berries in the taste. A bit of sweet sugar in a relatively dry finish. Bubbly carbonation, light to medium body, slick sweet syrupy mouthfeel. Well this isn't horrible, I could drink it. Calling this beer would be a bit of a stretch, but the biggest thing is I find this boring and lacking complexity. Glad I got to try this, but one and done for this guy.

3.2/5  rDev -12.6%

Had on tap at the Sunset

Appearance: hazy with sediment, 1/4 inch head, brownish red in color, high carbonation

Smell: berries: strawberries, raspberries, and blackberries

Taste: follows the nose with some honey and bubble gum flavor

Mouthfeel: very sweet, light bodied, high carbonation

Drinkability: Not a bad beer, but I was hoping for more from Shorts. The advertised rye really does not show up. Super sweet in the lines of Leinie's berry weiss. Be careful the alcohol is well hidden. My least favorite from Short's so far.

3.65/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Big thanks to both gnemesis and Pellinore1 for hooking this one up!

a - cracked the 12oz and poured into a unibroue tulip. poured a transparent pink with a pinkish creamy frothy head. head left thick milkshake lacing on the glass. looks awesome.

s - Zing! Berry medley. Tangy. Raspberry, strawberry, blueberry sweet n' sourness, but watered down. reminiscent of blush wine.

t - much like the nose suggests another berry medley explosion of flavor. the tartness is there, but seems much more watered down.

m - kind of water heavy. definitely has a bit of a wine feel but kind of a letdown in the mouth.

d - looked great, smelled great, and tasted pretty good...but seemed like a watered down glass of blush wine. unique but not really my thing.

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Large, creamy, light lavender head leaves great lacing down the glass. The body is brownish purple.

Aroma is almost entirely fruit, and something somewhat spicy. The fruitiness is a hard to identify blend by the aroma, cherry raspberry apple. Maybe some vanilla in the aroma. Smells sour and tart

Taste is milder than the aroma. Lots of fruit but not as strong as expected. Somewhat dry and not too sweet. The fruit flavor is enjoyable; more like "real" fruit sweetness than normal.

Mouthfeel is a little thin. Lively carbonation. The high alcohol slips by unnoticed

Overall a very easy to drink beer, even given the higher ABV. I'm always surprised this is less sweet than I expect.

One side note: it is strange for a company that seems to have unusual and archaic demands for the freshness of their product to not feature a prominent datecode

3.8/5  rDev +3.8%

This is a unique review in that I tasted a fresh bottle next to a bottle that I have been cellaring for over a year. Both samples were poured into identical wine goblets.

Notes - fresh:

An aggressive pour yields a finger of effervescent, blush, champagne-like head. Retention is moderate. A lot of carbonation is visible, continuing to give the impression of sparkling wine. The hue of the beer is deep amber with a good amount of translucence. A small amount of head is in a constant state of formation due to the very active carbonation. Sticky lacing clings to the glass.

The smell is loaded with fruit. Tart cherries are the strongest impression, though oddly, there are no cherries in this brew. Strawberries are recognizable in the nose and there is a faint hint of blueberry. A deep whiff reveals some mellow rye and perhaps a touch of wheat. Closer examination reveals a doughy yeastiness. A final deep whiff renders the faintest hint of alcohol. For 9% ABV the alcohol masking is impressive.

The flavor profile deviates from the aroma. The tart fruit impression left on the nose sits subversively in the background while the forefront is dominated by grainy flavors, namely rye. I don't know if there is any wheat in this brew but it does give the grainy impression of a weizen. Behind this grain harvest is the tart bite of apples and cherries. The beer finishes in a flash of bitter hops with a melon-like aftertaste that soon disappears with no lingering taste in the mouth. Miraculously, the high alcohol content is invisible on the tongue.

This fruit beer is medium bodied, though the high amount of carbonation would lead you to believe that it were much lighter than it is. The effervescence is interesting and fairly unique. As such, Soft Parade's mouthfeel will no doubt be judged differently by each individual based on his/her opinion of the fizzy carbonation. I think it is novel at first, but by the time that I reach the bottom of the glass I'm pretty bored with it.

The drinkability of this beer is weighed between many unique traits, some of them hits, some of them misses. The supposedly 9% ABV goes virtually unnoticed. The flavor, though different than any beer I've sampled, doesn't translate into great affinity. It feels light and finishes more cleanly than any beer I've tasted. Ultimately though, it doesn't hold my interest through an entire 12-ounce serving.

A: 4.5
S: 4.0
T: 3.5
M: 4.0
D: 4.0
Overall: 3.8

Notes - aged:

An aggressive pour yields very little head and it dissipates quickly. The brew in this bottle looks similar to the fresh example, the difference being that this one is much hazier. However, the carbonation is still very actively visible. Some spotty patches of lacing cling to the glass. Overall, the fresher example was more attractive looking.

On the nose, the tartness of the fruits seem to have mellowed. It smells mildly sweeter, and noticeably yeasty. Fruit aromas in this example are more akin to pear. There is still a mild impression of cherry and also the scent of candy sugar that you get from a lot of Belgian beers. The aroma has gained some complexity but I don't like it any more or less than before.

On the tongue, everything about this brew has mellowed. The discernable fruit flavors in the fresh example have faded into tastes resembling melon and limes. They are watery flavors with soft sweetness and tangy sour notes. The rye has mellowed but it does hang around longer in the aftertaste. The wheat impression is more subdued. I'm reminded of a Belgian dubbel in the mild smoky finish of this beer, but there is a faint plastic taste too. A gentle bitterness lingers. Again, the age has added some interesting subtleties to this beer, but it is neither better nor worse for the wear. You could simply call it Softer Parade.

In the mouth, this is barely medium bodied with less carbonation than before. It allows this beer to drink more or less like Perrier with lime. It's good if you're looking for something extremely easy drinking, but it feels like something entirely different than beer now.

The drinkability goes up a notch for the fact that everything about this beer has mellowed. What was once an awkwardly balanced, highly carbonated orchard and grain harvest is now a refreshing spritzer with mild sweet and tart notes. If the 9% ABV was barely noticeable before, it is invisible now, drinking easier than any 9% beer I've encountered. That could be dangerous except that you're probably not going to come across many examples of year-old Soft Parade.

A: 3.5
S: 4.0
T: 3.5
M: 3.5
D: 4.5
Overall: 3.8

Final impressions:

This was a pretty interesting side-by-side tasting of an unconventional beer. I do think the fresh Soft Parade has the slight edge on the much different aged version. But I did think it was pretty interesting that the year-old example took on some Belgian-like characteristics in the aroma and flavor. Neither was fantastic but this was still a fun experiment.

Short's Soft Parade from Short's Brewing Company