Short's Soft Parade - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.50% ABV

Beer added by: fantome on 06-18-2004

Simply put: Fruit Rye Ale. A bountiful blend of toasted rye flakes and two row malted barley make wort fermented with 200 pounds of pureed strawberries, blueberries, raspberries and blackberries resulting in a sweet fruity delicacy. Intoxicatingly refreshing and brewed special for those ladies who enjoy their wine.
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's Soft Parade Alström Bros
2.72/5  rDev -25.7%

12oz poured into my new Avery stemware

A - Pours a deep red, but shows some peach/pink hues at the edges when held to the light. Pink tinted three finger head quickly settles to thin cap, leaving some moderate lacing.

S - Bland. Was expecting to be smacked in the nose with berries, but nothing. Really had to dig in to get a scent of tart strawberry. Even then, the brew seems to come off as more of an Arbor Mist product. Don't pick up any real beer characteristics.

T - Slightly better than the nose. Do get a better sense of the raspberries and blackberries. Any hint of sweetness quickly turns acidic. Finishes quite dry.

M - Actually decent feel with this one. Light bodied with some good carbonation.

O/D - Initial pour had me pulling for this one. However, that ended up being the best part. Some sips showed promise, especially as it warmed, but not enough coming through to make it stand out.

3.49/5  rDev -4.6%

This fruit beer is a beautiful crimson colour with little head, and some lacing. It has a tart cherry smell, and significant carbonation, rather resembling one of those fruit sodas, in my opinion.

The taste is also tart and dry, almost mineral, with a bitter finish. My criticism here is that the flavour finish borders on the medicinal. I do, however, enjoy that I can discern fresh-picked blackberries and wild strawberries above all. There is no sickly-sweet, jam-like syrupy fruit taste about this beer. Despite the fact that this beer is 9%, I don't find that the alcohol taste is prominent.

The mouthfeel is particularly pleasant, the lasting flavour varying throughout. For a beer as dry as this one, the carbonation allows for a smooth and refreshing brew which goes down quite easily. I wish I had some fresh goat cheese and cranberry preserve on hand.

3.82/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle, I couldn't really make out the date. Pours a mysterious nearly ruby color. White head has a pink shade to it, but unfortunately disappears fairly quick. A few random spots of lace are left on the glass.

Aroma is like a fruit salad. Berries really stand out, particularly blackberries and strawberries. An earthy note melds in with the berries. If I recall, there is some rye in this? That would explain this earthy, slightly spicy note.

Berries up front, but the earthy flavor keeps them from being juicy. I can't really pick up much else. Strawberries seem to be the dominant flavor here, with the other berries being softer.

Lighter body, with a good amount of carbonation. Alcohol is present, and adds some warmth. A very interesting beer here.

3.51/5  rDev -4.1%

I traveled out to Ann Arbor MI for a wedding this weekend and before I left I made sure to pick up as much Michigan beer as I could get my hands on. I knew to look for Two Hearted, KBS, Jolly Pumpkin, Founders Porter and the other usual suspects, but I had never heard of this beer before my wedding date (an Ann Arbor native) suggested I grab a six pack of Soft Parade. For some reason my first thought on grabbing this beer was "The Soft Bulletin" by The Flaming Lips, so I will be listening to said album while I review this beer. Lets hope for no aural bias.

Appearance: This beer pours with absolutely zero head and zero subsequent lacing. However, the beer shines through. It is a gorgeous deep ruby. Based on color I'd give this beer a 5, but the lack of lacing drops it to a 3 1/2.

Smell: I don't smell much. I haven't been sick, and the beer is in my favorite DFH snifter, but I'm just not getting much aroma from this beer. If I really go all in and give the beer a hearty swirl I get a hint of berries, followed by alcohol and finally a bit of arm pit sweat. Not the nasty pit stink of the orange tinted Jersey Shore wannabe at the gym, but the glorious, sexy, inviting, and pheromone laden sweat of a beautiful girl after a long work out and in desperate need of a shower companion.

Taste: MMMmm, its like earthy berries. Cold from the fridge there isn't the slightest hint of alcohol, only rye, berries (I wish I could name them all) and a bit of bubblegum. As it warms the alcohol and bubblegum flavors come forward, but not overpoweringly. It is still a very easy beer to drink. Some fruit beers don't taste like fruit, they taste like HFCS, Soft Parade Tastes like fruit... the way it should.

Mouthfeel: Light and, well, light. The carbonation is soft and makes this beer go down like a dangerously alcoholic berry flavored small batch artisanal soft drink. Basically the over priced sodas you buy at stores that cater to hippies, hipsters and moms that shield their children from the real world.

Overall: This beer is as delicious as Wayne Coyne is positive. I've always said if I could be related to any celebrity it would be Wayne Coyne. He's just a stand up classy guy. This is a stand up tasty beer. I wish I could come by Soft Parade more readily here in CT, but I can't so my dream to have Wayne Coyne as an uncle is only slightly less realistic than me finding more of this beer nearby.

3.5/5  rDev -4.4%

This beer poured out as an pinkish orange codor with a pinkish white head on top that had a really good retention to it. The smell of the beer was fruity, similar to a wine cooler. The taste of the beer had rye in it which I didn't realize until I read that on here. Now that I'm aware of the rye being in there I can now place the taste or feeling I was getting in the beginning of each sip. The other flavors are dominated by the sweet wine like fruit flavors. The mouthfeel is pretty smooth, it's well carbonated and kind of refreshing. Overall I think that it's decent but not my favorite.

A - slightly swapy blood red, no head and no lacing

S - smells like a fresh fruit stand, fresh flowers, slight hops, a bit sweet, every dark berry, tons of yeast, a bit sour, nice clean malt, earth, tree branches and leaves

T - tastes exactly like it smells. Dead on.

M - Full bodied, well balanced, nice complexity, low acidity and medium finish

D - This is a very drinkable beer. Can't believe this beer is 9% abv. Taste so fresh and goes down easier than water. Wow

Final thought - Get this one, any way you can

3.42/5  rDev -6.6%

Received a bunch of Short's beers as extras, time to do the line-up. First pour is the Soft Parade. Bubbles shoot around in the pour, but almost no head appears, simply a pithy white foam, reduces to a ring around the glass. Color is vibrant, deep red with a burnt orange tint. Aromas have a touch of tart berry fruit, smells like a really light lambic. Flavor is mild and lightly acidic, flavors of earth and berries, light overall, but satisfying. Finish is lingering with and herbal earth note, fruit dissapears quickly. Overall a solid brew, full bodied, but mild fruit flavors. Interesting.

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%

Pours a dark, cloudy amber into a pint glass with very minimal head.

The aroma is straight fruit, mostly strawberry or raspberry.

The taste is very sweet. You can definitely taste the raspberry and a bit of strawberry. However, there aren't any other discernible flavors. The rye isn't evident, nor is much of anything else.

If you like fruity beers, you'll enjoy this. If fruit isn't your thing, you'll hate it. I liked it, not the tastiest fruit beer I've had, but pretty good. However, the cloying sweetness and kind of one dimensional flavor prevent it from being overly drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

12oz. bottle, chilled and poured into a Stella chalice.

Appearance- Pours a gorgeous almost pink hazy colour into the glass, average pour yields about a finger and a half of soapy white head that quickly dissipates to a thin ring around the glass leaving lots of lacing throughout till finish.

Smell- The aromas coming from this one are even more gorgeous than the appearance, it smells like you’re sniffing a jar of grandma’s homemade strawberry jam, very fruity and very sweet, some biscuit malt comes through in the nose towards the end as well.

Taste- Very similar to the smell, the tastes come through with a nice sweet strawberry jam flavour, the other berries really come through more pronounced on the palate as well with the blueberries and raspberries really shining through. I can kind of taste the alcohol in there more as it warms up but it really does finish sweet and fruity with some mild biscuit malt in there.

Mouthfeel- Light to medium bodied with below average carbonation, this is one smooth, crisp and easy drinking summer beer.

Overall- I kind of had low expectations coming into this one, but I was actually pleasantly surprised, this fruity concoction actually kinds the high ABV very well and I only get a few mild hints of the alcohol when it really warms up. Great sweet fruity flavours on the aromas that really come through in the tastes, you can almost taste every single berry added at one point or another when drinking one of these. I definitely have a soft spot for fruit beers in the summer and this is close to the top of the list of fruit beers that I would drink, although probably better suited for your girlfriend this is a quality drinker for anybody and well worth a try, and I rather enjoyed it.

1.5/5  rDev -59%

Short's Soft Parade came courtesy of my good sister (I only have one, but she's my bad sister when she doesn't bring me beer), and I sampled it on a random evening with my good girlfriend.

This baby pours out sexy like the relaxing woman on the label. A deep red body leaves lace all over the glass and reminds me immediately of strawberry. I'm totally down to enjoy this one.

And that's where the fun ends, because I sniff and **zap** my parade is over. Parade to alcohol maybe, or slimy berries and skunk. This smelled like Bud and strawberry Four Loko (I've had Four Loko). It tastes the same way. Alcohol and badness. And faint berries, I give it that, but not much else. An overwhelmingly unbalanced sweetness comes in the middle to tweak the alcohol and cough syrup medicinal feel. It's like cherry chloroseptic.

Overall this light body beer isn't very drinkable, and wound up a drain pour or me. I let it warm and there was no difference to the taste. Sad. Such high expectations.

But despite the beer, she's still my good sister.

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

A - Pours with a hazy soft red body, topped by a nice one finger white head. Good head retention and spotty lacing left down the inside of my nonic.

S - The sweet berry aroma is certainly inviting. I'm not able to pick out one specific berry in the mix, it seems like a mixture of berry juice...it does come across a tad bit artificial, and that would be my only knock on it.

T & M - That berry aroma carried over into the taste. Strawberry seems to come across first and foremost, followed by some peach and maybe a bit of blackberry. The peach is a wildcard here, as the label states it was brewed with blueberry, strawberry, raspberry and blackberry. There is a slight bitterness amid the sweet berry flavors. Not highly complex. I am actually shocked that this is a 9% ABV brew, as the alcohol is VERY well hidden. Thin mouthfeel and it finishes crisp.

D - If the ABV is correct on this listing, I could see how this could be a deadly little brew that would sneak right up on you. I would have assumed half the ABV if I were guessing. A tasty little brew from Shorts...certainly not world class but a good fruit beer to quaff on a hot Summer night.

3.63/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz bottle poured into tulip - thanks to lgandrew

Pours a hazed dark cherry color with some lighter hues. A thinner head fades into film with some bubbled, patchy lacing on the glass.

An avalanche of fruit in the nose with strawberry, raspberry, and a bit lesser of the blackberry and blueberry. Some jam/jelly-like notes with sweetness.

Slightly acidic fruit notes right up front. A juicy, fruit cocktail wraps around the tongue with a mixed berry consistency. The red fruits seemed more prevalent to me, with some jam and fruit cake-like suggestions. Slight spice from the rye as well. Finishes with a touch of alcohol and a splash of fruit sweetness.

Medium bodied, higher carbonation, a bit prickly and sticky on the tongue. Definitely another unusual Short's beer, and a nice use of fruit without turning the beer into a complete juice cocktail.

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle poured into my Pint glass.

Another bottle thanks to Jimixr.

A - Clear, reddish amber with a big white fizzy head.

S - Fruit basket here, it is hard to place the individual fruits here.

T - Strawberry, Blueberry, raspberry.

D - Fizzy and light.

O - Refreshing, but a touch sweet due to the fruit.

3.28/5  rDev -10.4%

A - Poured into a Sierra Nevada bulb glass. It pours a light red/pink color. Looks almost like cranberry juice. Minimal head.

S - Smells just like wine. Arbor Mist.

T - Very bland. Do not taste much fruit at all. Think very watered down fruit punch.

M - The mouthfeel is fairly thin, which is perfect for the style.

O - Not much flavor to it. I would like to have seen more fruit flavors poke through. Very easy to drink. Would not go out of my way to have another one, but I is not terrible.

3.35/5  rDev -8.5%

Another bottle in the monster line up sent to me by kzoobrew, once again: thanks Kevin!

Split bottle poured into my Captain Lawrence stemmed glass.

Appearnace: Ruby red with no discernable head. Some soapy white bubbles cling to the edge of the glass.

Smell: Holy fruit! This smells like fruit punch meets wine meets a fruit roll up. I think the strongest scent is that of the raspberries but you can tell they are not the only player.

Taste: A little watery. I think if this beer had some sour yeast tossed in there it would be a big big winner! However, I find it to be a little lacking. The nose is much more pungent than the taste. It is fruity and the flavors blend together nicely but it does not taste like a beer other than the feel of the carbonation. The 9% abv is very well hidden, not a hint of booze.

Mouthfeel: More carbonation that I would have expected after the lackluster pour. Feel is a good complement for the taste.

Overall: Interesting concept but could have been executed a little better. As I said before, make this a sour and its a big time winner! Not a bad beer by any means but it would certainly be more of a non craft beer drinkers beer as it tastes more along the lines of a mixed drink.

3.54/5  rDev -3.3%

A - Reddish fruity color, permanent suds and serious lacing. Crazy foam when poured. Cloudy.

S - Smells fruity in the bottle, but no real smell in the glass.

T - Sour for a fruit beer, but also not fruity enough. To be honest, I enjoy this even though it doesn't really fit a style. Hides the alcohol well. Detectable bitterness with no hop aroma or flavor.

M - Good carbonation and medium body.

O - As listed above, doesn't really fit either style, but enjoyable either way. (It doesn't really say it's a particular style anyway). Excellent alcohol hiding and nice twist on a Belgian style ale.

3.93/5  rDev +7.4%

Had on tap at Grill One Eleven.

Appearance was a very nice redish pinkish color but not cloudy at all and a nice white/pink head.

Smell was not huge. I was expecting a very fruity smell and it was not there.

Taste was pretty good. Definately not your typical fruity beer. This one was beer first with a slight hint of fruit. Very nicely done.

Mouthfeel was surprisingly easy to drink. You have to be careful with this one because it does not feel like you are drinking a 9% ABV beer at all.

Overall a great beer. A fruit beer that I didn't feel was too "girly" or too "Mike's Hard Lemonade". Very well done by the guys at Short's.

3.61/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to kurdt1994 for this one. Been dying to try anything by Short's, and he finally came through. From bottle to a nonic pint.

Soft Parade looks like a raspberry iced tea, dark ruby hued with an almost non-existent amount of head. Super fruit aromas are very present with this brew as cherries and other tart fruit dominate the nose. Upon first sip, I found it to be very carbonated. It actually tastes like a sour wine, with equal amounts of sourness and sweetness throughout. Almost has a champagne-bubblyness quality to it. Short's does an incredible job masking the 9% abv...have no idea where it is in this beer. Only 14 IBUs, so there is virtually no hop presence to it.

Overall, this would make a great dessert beer, or perhaps even a drink best saved for a hot Summer day. I appreciate the style, but it's just not something i'd go for normally. Glad I got to try something from this Northern MI brewery.

3.83/5  rDev +4.6%

Bottle shared at the May Santa Cruz tasting. Pours a blush wine color with an airy white head. Raspberries and strawberries are strong on the nose with a solid tartness. Yogurt and cheese are also very distinct. Berry yogurt flavor with an even rye maltiness midpalate. Alcohol is well-hidden but still a little noticeable.

3.53/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to burnheartsMKE for sending me this one!

Pours a murky strawberry jam color with a 2 inch light red head that fades to a very thin cap. Bubbly rings of lace form around the glass on the drink down. This beer smells like various berry jams. Some mild grain smells come out too. Taste is also of various berry jams with some grains (wheat perhaps). There is a bit of medicinal bitterness in the aftertaste. Carbonation is quite high and has a very prickly feel going down. Perhaps a little too much carbonation. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with some nice fruit smells and tastes but it's nothing too exciting.

3.69/5  rDev +0.8%

A - pours a reddish color with a huge, billowing head

S - smells of strawberry jelly, sweet raspberry and a bit of blueberry. It smells like a berry smoothie.

T - Starts off with some strawberry and raspberry sweetness and fades to the darker blueberry and blackberry flavors. It has a jam-like ending with a nice fruit preservative sweetness and a bit of bitterness and spicy rye. I have never had a fruit beer that tasted like this before. It was really like drinking a mixed berry smoothie.

M - smooth carbonation that dances around the palate

D - Interesting fruit beer to say the least - I was hoping for something with a fruit taste if it had 200 lbs of fruit added to the mix. It reminded me of a fruit spread and a fruit smoothie...almost like a hybrid between the two. I have really been looking forward to trying something from this brewery and have to thank Pittsburghkid for the opportunity.

3.11/5  rDev -15%

I think this was bottled March 24 2011, based on the label.

A - A lovely rosy/pink body with a nice light pink head. Kind of a gay looking sort of thing, not that there's anything wrong with that.

S - Bit of a tart sweetness. Smoky/burnt notes in the background, kind of off smells.

T - Tart and crisp, bit of wheaty something or other. An odd flavor tasting kind of like plastic. Hmm. I think I am going to stop drinking Shorts Beers.

M - Light, crisp, fine. Nothing exciting. Perhaps a bit dry.

O (D) - there are some weird flavors in here that do not fit. So I don't care that much for this beer.

2.15/5  rDev -41.3%

I am just not a fan of fruit beers at all. Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a red color with a small pinkish head. Aroma is of quite fruity and fairly tart, the raspberries and strawberries are what I smell the most along with some sugary notes. The flavor is slightly tart and very fruity with alot of raspberry along with some sugary notes and the 9% ABV is really well hidden. The body is light with a slightly dry mouthfeel. Overall a pretty solid Fruit Beer, but fruit beers like this arent really my style, this was more fruit than beer IMO.

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

shared with whiterascal

A: pours out an orangish-red color with a very light pink head. it looks very fluffy, and then fell somewhat quickly.

S: i get straw and berries. it doesnt have much sweetness in the aroma which is a good surprise for me. it does have a jam like berry aroma. i get mostly strawberry, and some tart raspberries. there is some light citrusy lemon notes as well. i also get a weird earthy aroma, possibly from the toasted ryel

T: so my first thought was whoa. it is a little different. you get some of the spicy rye in the front, and then i get berry. It has some tartness like a raspberry or blackberry. it finishes dry and somewhat bitter. i also get a nutty flavor as well.

M: it has a medium-thin body with high carbonation.

O: this is an ok beer, that I don't think i would seek out. i dont know if i would drink it again either.

4.02/5  rDev +9.8%

First off, I went in expecting Leinie's Berryweiss, and was pleasantly suprised that it was not that type of drink. It is nowhere near as sweet, fruity, or, well, blatant as BW. A nice crisp berry scent, which is balanced in flavor by the malt. I can see myself having a few of these at the beach, or maybe a picnic in the summer. Is it a "chick beer"? Maybe. Is it strong enough to knock you on your ass if you underestimate it? Yep. It's not Zima, It's not Boone's farm, it's just kinda....good. Give it a shot!

Short's Soft Parade from Short's Brewing Company