Short's Bellaire Brown Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Bellaire Brown AleShort's Bellaire Brown Ale

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2005

Exactly what it says, “Brown beer.” This is beer fermented from wort extracted from the hearty pale ale malt, toasted specialties, chocolate and Munich selections resulting in a toasted brown color. Very light hop additions from the Cascade variety allows the sweet malty and caramel notes to shine through for duration of its time on your palette.
15 I.B.U.’s
12.8 deg. Plato
5.2% A.B.V.

3.12/5  rDev -17.2%

pint glass.

a - pours a deep chestnut color and forms a thin cap of tan head that dissipated quick. spotty lacing.

s - nutty malt with notes of grape, fig, faint spice, sourdough bread.

t - nutty malt character with pungent, earthy hop notes. has an almost rye like sourness and a few dark fruity notes. kind of an odd combination of flavors.

m - medium bodied with finer carbonation.

o - not really sure how i feel about this one. easily drinkable, but with an odd flavor profile. certainly extends the range of the style.

2.83/5  rDev -24.9%

I'd heard about this brewery in the past, and was impressed that their booth at Great American Beer Festival had such a long line whenever I walked past it.

They just started distributing in Colorado and their six packs are pretty expensive, coming in at one to two dollars more than most craft beers.

I picked up one bottle as part of a mixed six pack rather than plunking down $10.99 for a sixer.

I'm glad I just got one bottle. It's a decent brown ale, but nothing special, and not as good as others I could mention, but won't.

Average appearance, nose, mouthfeel. Slight diacetyl notes, which is always off-putting for my palate. Not overpowering, but there nonetheless.

The beer tastes fresh enough, so I don't think it's an old batch. I might try another of their beers in a mixed six pack, but this beer doesn't make me want to run out and get more.

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

a pretty good standard brown ale. pours a cocoa colored semi-tranparent with a one inch cream colored head. smells a bit like a cup of coffee, with some good roasted characteristics and a sturdy malt vibe. tastes a little nutty, almonds? mouthfeel is well carbonated and right on medium. nothing makes this beer stand out to me, but it is well balanced and drinkable. will look into some more shorts brews

3.5/5  rDev -7.2%

3.62/5  rDev -4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle
Served in a pint glass

A - I pours a dark amber to copper color. I got an inch of beige head.

S - The aroma is loaded with earthy, nutty smells. I also get some cocoa.

T - The taste is as expected from the smell. I get nut and cocoa flavors.

M - It's pretty thin.

O - It's a solid brown ale.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

Bellaire Brown pours a darker, nut brown color. It’s slightly hazy. Backlighting reveals some strong burgundy highlights throughout. A soft, light tan crown sits on top. It stands less than a finger tall and is quick to dissipate. Lacing was definitely light and spotty.

The nose isn’t all that strong, but isn’t bad either. It does feature a nice malty scent that’s front and center. It smells mostly like cocoa-esque chocolate. There’s a slight sweet caramel or toffee scent, as well. It smells a little earthy and grainy throughout. Light, earthy hops are noted. Smells a tad yeasty at times, but that’s very subtle. Alcohol is buried. Pretty simple and straight forward. Not bad though.

I like the flavor. It’s definitely simple and straight forward. The malt base is definitely chocolate and light caramel. It’s a little sweet, but not overly so. Roasted coffee fits into the mix nicely. It’s not too strong. It has a strong earthy, slightly herbal flavor that lingers throughout. I suspect it’s from the earthy hops. They add a very slight bitter kick and work well with the malt base. It tastes a tad yeasty. Alcohol is indeed buried. I’m not getting any at all. Finishes a little malty and quite a bit earthy.

The body is definitely lighter and a tad thin. More body would be a good thing. Carbonation feels relatively light. It’s too thin to be smooth though. For what it’s worth, it definitely goes down easy. Pretty tasty stuff. I could handle a few of these.

Bellaire Brown is probably the most simple, straight forward beer I’ve had from Short’s Brewing Company. That’s not a bad thing. It actually works pretty well. For a Brown Ale, it isn’t quite as malty as you might think. It actually features a nice interplay of malt and earthy hops. I like it. It would benefit from a little more body and perhaps a stronger nose. Good stuff though. Recommended.

2.15/5  rDev -43%

A-Brown and fairly easy to see through. A small amount of white head that disappears quickly with little lacing.

S-First thing I sense is a bit a caramel. But then I picked up a surprisingly sour smell. Not sure if it is intentional, but it could be the reason this was on sale for $6 a sixer at Whole Foods in DC (regularly $11).

T-Like the smell, a bit of caramel up front, and again like the smell, it is a bit funky. And not in a good way. Not even a trace of hops.

M-Fairly thin. Not very carbonated. Regardless of whether you swallow quickly or let it sit on your tongue and let it swish around in for a few seconds, nothing changes.

Overall-I am pretty disappointed. I have had a couple of other Short's beers and loved them. Brown ales aren't my favorite style, but I do enjoy them, and this isn't a great example. Not sure if the sourness is intentional or not. If so I will give them credit for trying something different, but it doesn't float my boat.

3.8/5  rDev +0.8%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to thabigmp for my first Short's beer.

A: A perfect medium brown color. Pretty clear for the color although still can't see through it. Half finger off white head with not that great retention and pretty good lacing.

S: Very malty. Lots of caramel and toffee. Very nutty with a touch of brown sugar and cinnamon.

T: Lots of sweet caramel, some toffee, and some light syrup upfront. Nuttiness comes through in the middle. Just a touch of tartness. A bit of a hop note in the finish along with a mild toastiness.

M: Light bodied, although not super watery as other browns I've had. Higher carbonation. A mild creaminess.

O: Trying to review by style even though I am definitely not a fan of the style. This is one of the better browns I've had but not one that will make me purchase again.

2.64/5  rDev -30%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 9/19/11
*From notes

-- The wifey generously picked this sixer up at Rodman's in DC on 9/18/11 --

A: Like homemade apple cider. It's unfiltered and rustic brown. A decent pour yields a one finger head that doesn't stick around, and minor lacing rims the glass.

S: A generous amount of past-ripe plums. There's also an odd twang of rusty copper piping.

T: Absent of any hops. I mean zero humulus lupulus. Kinda funky-sweet. Something doesn't seem quite right here. Is it slightly infected? Possibly a bit oxidized? Regardless, I can't say this is something I've found in many other browns, so calling it a "classic brown" would be stretching it.

M: Thin up front. As I violently swish this around in my mouth, it begins to perk up a bit, and a tad bit of creamy froth shows up, albeit a bit too late.

O: Short's Bellaire Brown is, literally, one funky brew. Either they're intentionally brewing one off-the-wall brown ale, or this is slightly infected. Either way, this wasn't my cup of tea, and was quite happy to have shared the rest of these with unknowing friends.

Short's Bellaire Brown Ale from Short's Brewing Company