Short's Black Cherry Porter - Short's Brewing Company

American Porter |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2004

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Poured into a snifter it has a brown head of 3 inches and a black body (nice lacing). Smell of slight sweet cherry, roasted malt, chocolate, and some coffee. Taste is sweet cherry, chocolate, slight smokey roasted malt, licorice, and a larger amount of coffee. Mouth feel is moderate to full so is the body with good amount of carbonation (medium, slight crisp). A very nice chocolate coffee cherry flavor that doesn't favor any of the three too much and a nice balanced sweet and bitter. More of a stout than a porter though.

4.01/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from bottle to tulip. Color is inky black with tinges of brown, which is noticeable when drops are spilled. Resembles motor oil in appearance, yet not as thick. Three fingers of fluffy, thick, mocha honeycomb head is present. Pleasant rings of lacing are left behind. Aroma is roasted, toasty malts. Dark cocoa powder, tangy cherry. Taste follows, with more of the cherry flavor coming to the forefront the longer it sits. Roasted, bitter coffee beans, dark chocolate, tangy cherry and a pleasant and unexpected smokey flavor lingers on the palate.

Roasted, smokey, and sweet. My favorite cherry dark beer. Now to find a cherry wheat ale to complement it.

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 10/12/15

L- Dark black, one finger brown head that had a slight reddish tint to it.

S- Roasty with some dark chocolate and a light cherry aroma.

T- Nice medium roasts, good amount of dark chocolate, medium amount to tart cherry but not too tart, finishes with a nice medium roasty note.

F- Nice velvety mouthfeel.

O-Really nice cherry dark beer, it's important to let it warm some to let the cherry come out. I much prefer this over Bell's Cherry Stout which I find too tart.

3.77/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 10/12/15. Poured into a Spiegelau Stout glass.

Pour is pitch black with a solid one finger khaki colored head that stays around awhile. Aromas of black licorice, dark roasted malts, and hints of dark chocolate. Taste upfront is sweet, though not detecting any cherries. Finishes almost smokey with lingering dark roasted malts and a touch of hops. Medium body, slight carbonation, creamy feel.

As this beer warms the cherries start to become more apparent. However, if I had to guess this beer I'd say a smoked stout/porter. A respectable brew from Shorts that deserves some attention.

4.13/5  rDev +7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

$2.99 single poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint. Dated 10/12 and poured 11/2 ... not too shabby. Been wanting to try this beer for quite a long while, so I'm thankful it got voted into this year's brewing schedule.

Appearance: Black. That's that. There was a finger or so of a creamy, brown head on top, but it slipped to a quarter finger and stayed there. Decent amount of lacing on the glass, but not a lot. Pretty nice looking beer.

Smell: Hm. How do I say this ... it smells like a black cherry infused stout -- I know this is a porter, but this leans more on the "stout" side of things for me. Long story as to how I've discerned the differences. Moving on... dark cherry -- tartness, sweetness and all -- with a pleasant roasted malt. I'd like to say this smells like a chocolate covered cherry, but it doesn't all that much. I guess if I really think about it and pretend that's what I'm smelling I get that out of it, but for me, it's primarily a very solid roasted malt layered just under a significant tart black cherry nose.

Taste/feel: Main reason I'm the guy to say I consider this a stout over a porter ... it feels like a stout. Generally I think of porters as thinner with a higher carbonation, but this has a silky moderately full body with a very modest carbonation -- very, very smooth and outstanding. The taste is also very good, with a great roasty malt at the start on one sip, and the end on the next -- the same goes for the black cherry. I'd say I'm tasting roughly 60% delicious stout (er, porter...), and 40% black cherry juice, and I'll say it's a great blend. The sweet and tart cherries play well with the bitter roasted malt.

I'm surprised and relieved. In my experience, tart/somewhat sour fruits don't seem to work well in stouts because the tart (how many times will I use that word in this review) fruit and bitter malt clash and make for a slightly metallic aftertaste. This beer unfortunately -- really, inevitably -- has that, but it's really slight. The great roasted malt quality, plentiful black cherry flavor, and silky smooth mouth feel make this one of my favorite lower ABV stouts... it's just too bad it's something that's uncommonly bottled.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ounce bottle into tulip glass, bottled on 10/12/2015. Pours pitch black color with a 1-2 finger dense dark brown head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Nice spotty soapy lacing clings around the glass. Aromas of big dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, black cherry, toast, dark bread, light smoke/char, herbal, floral, and roasted earthiness. Damn nice aromas with great balance and complexity of roast/bready malt, cherries, and moderate earthy hop notes; with great strength. Taste of huge dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, black cherry, toast, dark bread, light smoke/char, herbal, floral and roasted earthiness. Moderate amount of herbal/roasted bitterness and light fruit tartness on the finish; with lingering notes of dark chocolate, cocoa, coffee, cherry, toast, dark bread, light smoke/char, and herbal/roasted earthiness on the finish for a while. Damn nice complexity, robustness, and balance of roast/bready malt, cherries, and moderate earthy hop flavors; with a nice roasted bitterness/sweetness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Good amount of dryness after the finish from roasted bitterness. Medium carbonation and body; with a very smooth and moderately creamy/sticky/chalky mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is an excellent fruited porter. All around great complexity, robustness, and balance of roast/bready malt, cherries, and moderate earthy hop flavors; and very smooth and easy to drink. A very enjoyable offering.

4.37/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Had a little baby cup of this at MI FALL BEER FESTIVAL in detroit. Went out and bought a 6 pack today. Hands down one of the best porters ive ever had. Pours black with a sturdy 2 inches of head that dissapates to the usual ring of goodness and holds that retention and lacing for the entire performance. The Cherry flavor takes over on the finish but is not overpowering and blends in well with the malty chocolate toffee and smoky flavors. A well rounded Porter that balances almost to the side of a sweet Stout. This beer leaves really nothing extra to be desired. It's all you could ever want in a flavored porter but somehow more than you could ever want in any dark beer. I believe that the black cherry purée really sets his beer apart from other Porters and stouts because usually they would be to artificially sweet and sticky. This Brew is just perfect perfect perfect perfect. The aftertaste is smoky and a slight black cherry and alcohol bite resonates on the pallet. Another homerun for shorts brewing company

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Cellar temp. Pours black with a light brown head. Smells of dark chocolate, coffee, black cherry, and all things dark and decadent. The first few sips I couldn't detect any cherry. But now that I've been sipping for a while, the cherry hits almost immediately and hangs around. This beer is surprisingly dry. The feel is medium-heavy, perfect. Overall, this is a very good beer that brings what it advertises.

Edit: Forget what I said about it being dry. By the last few sips, it was pretty sweet. This beer evolves.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

2015 Release. Pours dark red bordering on black. Excellent dark tan cascading head that slowly fades. Light on the nose but a little sweet maltiness is present.

This beer came highly recommended, but I had a hard time finding why. It lives up to its name and tastes like I'd expect a porter and cherry juice to mix. I generally don't like fruit in my porters and stouts, so I'm not surprised this does nothing for me. It has a medium heavy mouth feel with mild carbonation. The long bitter finish surprised me for 40 IBU offering. I expected the sweetness of cherry would cause a sweet fruit finish, but that's not the case.

This beer isn't for me, but seems to live up to its name.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Thanks to @atone315 for this one. Pours a completely opaque black color with a small, amber tan colored head of about one finger in size. Some sporadic lacing coats the sides of the glass.

Aroma is sweet and certainly leans toward imperial stout/ baltic porter territory. Cherries and figs and raisins. Alcohol. Slight tobacco and tar.

I do get a short little hit of tart cherry flavor at the very front, but that quickly fades to more of an alcohol and dark bitter chocolate flavor. Finishes with more figs and raisins and alcohol. On the sweet side.

Thick and chewy and robust. A definite winter time beer. Temps are cool here, in the mid 70's and rainy, so this one fit the day well. The cherry undertone was noticeable without being too understated or aggressive. A nice beer if a little sweet for my tastes.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Pours pitch black with a small brown head that recedes quickly. Big chocolate aroma with a background of fruit, anise, and surprising spice. Flavor is bitter chocolate with only hints of the cherry. Big and bold, with tobacco and fruit mixed together. Hop bitter holds the sweetness in check. Pretty flavorful porter here, bordering on a stout. Not bad.

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A-dark brown black color with a light brown head and decent lacing

S-chocolate, roasted malt, cherry, hint of coffee, slightly smoky

T-dark roasted malt, chocolate, coffee, cherry, hints of smoke, slightly bitter finish

F-medium to full body with moderate carbonation, smooth and cream

O-a well-made porter, the cherry is well-integrated into the beer, probably my favorite beer with cherries so far

3.9/5  rDev +1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

12 oz bottle - dated 10/04/12

A-Pours a huge black color with almost a reddish hue to it. Foamy mahogany 2 finger head that leaves a reddish brown ring.

S-As with many of Short's beers this one does not fail to deliver on uniqueness. Smells of black licorice, roasty dark chocolate with a very up front cherry peel aroma with a subtle smoke aroma in the background.

T-A little smokey and nutty on the front with a burnt cherry flavor that slowly comes in.

M-This one has an odd finish. It almost feels like I am running my tongue across wood. The cherry incorporates itself well into the aroma and taste but gives an awkward body to the beer.

O-This was definitely interesting. I do not really care for cherry in stouts and porters but this one is alright. For what it is, it is pretty tasty but not really my thing. If you are a cherry stout/porter fan this will impress but to me it is just a bit gimmicky. I would have probably liked the cherry to be very noticeable but I kind of feel if there was any more added there may have been a medicinal character to the flavor.

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Lingering 1 1/2 finger foamy lt. brown head. Brew is pretty thick and deep and dark brown/black. Awesome lacing too.. Tons of proteins

Roasty, chocolate, moderately sweet, cherry, deep, complex, bready, yum!

Lighter than I though it would be. Dry-sweetness, roasty, chewy, leathery, great subtle cherry flavor, dark chocolate, perfect light carbonation, no heat, no bitterness. Amazing.

This brew could be Shorts best brew.. It's phenomenal. Dare I say, recommended? Thanks Abanton for sharing. For the record: I HATE SMOKED BREWS!!! This is NOT a smoked brew, does it have subtle smoke aroma/flavors? yes. The smoke "character" only adds to this fine brews complexity.

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle poured into a FFF tulip

A - Dark brown with a slight ruby tint. Two finger mocha colored head that leaves nice lacing down the glass

S - Reminds me of cherry chip ice cream as I get chocolate, vanilla, and sweet cherry. Big sweet nose, especially for a porter

T - Up front there is sweet vanilla with a hint of tart cherry. In the middle, I get roasted malts and dark chocolate. The finish is smokey, roasted malt and dark, bitter chocolate. A little sweeter than a normal porter and the cherry adds a nice fruitiness to the normal smokey porter style

MF - Light body with low carbonation. A little watery. The finish is slightly astringent and smokey as the roasted malt lingers on the tongue.

O - A nice twist on a porter as the cherry flavors make this is a bit sweeter and tarter than normal. It helps that this is a solid porter even without the cherry so adding it in adds another layer of complexity instead of being a gimmick. The nose is definitely a highlight of the beer as that is where the cherry and vanilla really make themselves known.

3.01/5  rDev -22%

Thanks to Otis once again for giving me this as an extra!

A: black to caramel in color, very rich looking with a small head that lingers, completely covering the top of the glass.

S: chocolate, coffee, and some cherry. It's roasty, but not overly so. Smells wonderful, with a hint of sweetness and tartness. A bit of medicine-like smell comes through sometimes, along with something metallic.

T: from chocolate and roasted flavors to some slight fruit flavor, a bit of malt, with an aftertaste that is far too smokey for my liking.

M: medium body, medium carbonation, but something was off about the feel. Maybe the mix of tastes tricked my mouth into thinking the feel is abnormal.

O: drinkability is low with the aftertaste, but it makes me want to continue drinking quickly. It seemed to get worse with each sip. After leaving it for a bit, I have a pleasant porter aftertaste. Started off so interesting and delicious.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Bottle poured into pint glass. Bottle date 10/04/12

Pours a dark dark red, opaque, with a heavy, tan, 1/2 inch thick head.

I can smell the tartness of the cherries in competition with the hefty aroma of malt. A bit of alcohol in there. Smells like a sipping beer.

The taste is complex from start to finish. Wow. Starts off with coffee, malt, and a mystery flavor in the middle. Caramel? Finishes tart with the black cherries.

Feels silky smooth. Buttery. Coats the inside of the mouth.

I give Short's high praise (again) for their experimental attempt. I think "Black Cherry Porter" accurately sums up the overall modus operandi of this beer.

2.13/5  rDev -44.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

I believe I had an infected bottle. I will keep this review/score here until I am able to snag another helping of this brew upon which I will re-rate if it turns out it really was infected. I'm hoping so - because this beer sounds great in theory, but the bottle I had was pretty vile.

Pours dark as hell with a deep tan, ruby red hued head with wonderful staying power. Easy to conjure back by swirling the glass a little bit, too. The initial aroma doesn't really remind me of cherries - I'm picking up more of a woody-nutty smell, some bitter coffee, and strange caramel notes. I say "strange" because I'm still not sure if it's caramel I'm tasting - some kind of malty flavor I can't exactly describe.

The taste is even more strange than the smell. The biggest thing I'm getting up front is a weird smoked meat flavor. Yes, smoked meat. The first second of the sip hints at a smoked porter, with the meaty flavor and the burnt wood chips in the back. Then, right in front of your palate, the beer turns into an almost sickeningly sweet concoction of blackberry, black cherry juice, and prunes. For just a SPLIT second, I pick up a slight hint that reminds me of A1 steak sauce. The wood chip taste is heavy in the end as well, with some earthy notes. The final notes are kind of musty, and a weird combination of sweet and bitter than isn't very desirable. Medium body, silky smooth, and a nice amount of carbonation.

I always commend Short's for their prowess and willingness to try different things. Unfortunately this porter missed the mark just a bit. I didn't really get much black cherry at all, and the combination of sweetness and smokiness was kind of upsetting. It was tough to choke down the whole bottle, I probably won't be having this one again.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

Brewed with "black cherry puree"; color-wise, this beer is dark, almost oil-like; there are some very slight red tinges in the head, which is a bit frothy and sits at about a quarter inch; the lacing is substantial and stays on the glass well after a sip subsides; the nose is very dark roasted, almost bitter; there is a very light sweetness in the aroma; that said, there really isn't any cherry flavor here; it's pretty bitter on the tongue, almost coffee roasted; again, some very light sweetness in flavor but the cherry is non-distinguished; interesting taste for sure and heavy like a porter!

3.45/5  rDev -10.6%

This poured out as a very thick looking black beer. The head was brown with a little bit of retention and lacing. The smell of the beer has a subtle cherry note, reminded me of a syrup I used in a home brew once. The other aromas I get from this are roasted malts and not too much else. The taste of the beer is very roasted in te beginning, as it warms up it gets a little sweeter. The cherry flavor isn't nearly as prominent as I expected it to be. The mouthfeel of this beer reminds me more of a stout than a porter. Overall this beer is heavier than I expected, it's good but I really wanted more sweet cherry from it. Still an enjoyable beer.

3.79/5  rDev -1.8%

Received as an extra from czar_chasm. Poured into my Duvel tulip.

A - Pours a nice deep deep dark brownish black with a good once finger dark dark milk chocolate head that faded to leave a thin blanket and dense halo. Very nice.

S - Aromas..hmm..nice malts and chocolate, but I really cant find any cherries

T - Taste is full of nice roasted malts and dark chocolate. That in itself is very nice with some super faint sour dark fruits. Unfortunately I cant just locate dark cherries.

M - Mouthfeel is nice, silky, creamy. Very good. Slight sour/bitter lingering finish/aftertaste. Nice on the tongue.

O - Overall, its enjoyable. Wish there was more cherry here though. Other than that its quite nice.

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into Half Acre tulip.

A- pours near black with a 1 finger brown head. Large bubbles of lacing ring atop the beer.

S- dark chocolate, smoke/peat, and some dark fruits.

T- dark chocolate, peated malts, some light smoke and dark cherries come in near the end.

M- medium body and low carbonation. Slightly acidic from the cherry purée.

O- the peat and smoke was off-putting at first but the cherry flavors come out more as the beer warms. Still nothing spectacular.

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Looks awesome. Really dark brown opaque body with 2 finger mocha foam with lots of lacing.

S: hmmmm... I smell roasted malt, bitter coffee, and some sour fruit (cherries probably).

T: Ok, so this beer tastes like porter at the beginning and changes to a fruit flavored ale. Very unique actually and I kind of liked it. Black cherry puree really does kick it towards the end, providing sourness and tartness.

M: Farily creamy.

O: Once again, unique and surprisingly refreshing. I was expecting a porter with a hint of black cherries, but instead I got two different beers in one.

3.73/5  rDev -3.4%

355ml bottle.Tumbler glass.Enjoyed on apr´12. Pours black in color,deep dark brown to the light. Brown,small bubbled,froth creates a thick,creamy lasting crown.Toasted malts,cherry & hints of cocoa to the nose.Fruity & bitter upfront followed by a dry malt flavor & quite sour mouthfeel. Roasted malts in the middle. Earthy palate.Sharp bitter finish with fresh tobacco hues.Full body,medium carbonation.Fruity aftertaste, roasted coffee notes.Refreshing & drinkable -ABV well hidden-.

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

poured into snifter glass.

Appearance: dark brown to a light black bodied beer with a reddish hue to it. 3 finger of dark brown head that slowely drops down to a moderate cap. Spotty lace on the glass.

Smell: I get lots of cherry notes and some roasty notes as well. This beer smells like it might be infected. Hope its not very infected...

Taste: Yup. Its infected. On the bright side...the taste is not that bad even with its infection. Its starts of smokey and roasty like a porter. Just a little chocolate and coffee are noticed. Then the cherries come to the party. The aftertaste is what off in the taste of this beer. Its got a little bit of that sour aftertaste that lets you know that this beer is off. A soured cherry porter is an interesting beer.

Mouthfeel: Its a fairely thin porter, which I think is also due to infection issues of this beer. Low end of a medium bodied beer. Carbonation is moderate. Its easy drinking.

Overall: another case of shorts beer being infected. I would like to try this one when its not infected. There is lots of potential here!

Short's Black Cherry Porter from Short's Brewing Company