Short's Black Cherry Porter - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Black Cherry PorterShort's Black Cherry Porter

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

One of our biggest beers offered, the Black Cherry Porter is a full flavored strong porter brewed with sweet black cherries. The formula consists of several different malts, lending deep opaque color with purple lace from the fresh fruit it's fermented with. Nearly 4 lbs. of fresh sweet black cherries go into each gallon of brew. A flavor of deep lustrous malt complexity and fullness, yet smooth with soft hints of toasted chocolate and pleasurable black cherry flavors. This beer has become one of our most sought after seasonal selections. People have lined up to drink nothing but Black Cherry Porter when brought to beer festivals and other off premise events. Now we bring it to you, enjoy.

35 I.B.U.'s
O.G. 19 deg. Plato
9 % A.B.V.

(Formerly called Rocky Top Black Cherry Porter, named after Rocky Top orchard.)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2004)
1.1/5  rDev -71.5%

Thanks to a well-meaning BA for sending me a bottle of this brew, always happy - & a bit nervous - to crack open a new Short's brew.

Pour is black. Smell is...rather foul. A medicinal sourness flows out of the goblet.

If this isn't infected, it's just bad. I'm a fan of cherries, & these cherries have soured, badly. I'm surprised the reviews are so good. I'm making a face every time I take a sip, & I'm afraid it's going to stick like that. Sour, cherry, more sour, bitter, cough syrup.

Terrible. I keep reading that Short's has solved the issues with their beers, but I keep stumbling across brews that don't taste like beer. Talented brewers, clean up your act!

1.4/5  rDev -63.7%

A: Pours deep mahogany with a lackluster head and little else in the way of appearance.

S: I can already tell this is going to fall prey to Short's fatal flaw; the biting metallic twang that affects so many of their beers. Caramel, rubber, and blood are all noticeable in the nose.

T: And there it is. How is this brewery so respected when all of their beers have the same metallic taste? This is terrible.

M: Thin and lifeless. No texture, no carbonation, no body.

O: Dear Short's.... fix your shit.

2.09/5  rDev -45.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 1.5

I believe I had an infected bottle. I will keep this review/score here until I am able to snag another helping of this brew upon which I will re-rate if it turns out it really was infected. I'm hoping so - because this beer sounds great in theory, but the bottle I had was pretty vile.

Pours dark as hell with a deep tan, ruby red hued head with wonderful staying power. Easy to conjure back by swirling the glass a little bit, too. The initial aroma doesn't really remind me of cherries - I'm picking up more of a woody-nutty smell, some bitter coffee, and strange caramel notes. I say "strange" because I'm still not sure if it's caramel I'm tasting - some kind of malty flavor I can't exactly describe.

The taste is even more strange than the smell. The biggest thing I'm getting up front is a weird smoked meat flavor. Yes, smoked meat. The first second of the sip hints at a smoked porter, with the meaty flavor and the burnt wood chips in the back. Then, right in front of your palate, the beer turns into an almost sickeningly sweet concoction of blackberry, black cherry juice, and prunes. For just a SPLIT second, I pick up a slight hint that reminds me of A1 steak sauce. The wood chip taste is heavy in the end as well, with some earthy notes. The final notes are kind of musty, and a weird combination of sweet and bitter than isn't very desirable. Medium body, silky smooth, and a nice amount of carbonation.

I always commend Short's for their prowess and willingness to try different things. Unfortunately this porter missed the mark just a bit. I didn't really get much black cherry at all, and the combination of sweetness and smokiness was kind of upsetting. It was tough to choke down the whole bottle, I probably won't be having this one again.

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Snifter glass.
A: Pitch black and syrupy. Coats the glass when you swirl it.

S: Sour cherry scent mixed with some roasted and bitter chocolate.

T:Its says they use real cherries but I get a medicinal artificial cherry flavor. Tastes like chemicals.

M:Small amount of carbonation and thick mouth feel.

D: 6oz was plenty for me. Drinkable but not enjoyable.
This one reminded me of a 2009 Abyss. I was happy to split this 12oz bottle with someone else. Seems like I have felt that way about every Short's brew I've had.

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Reviewing the Short's Black Cherry Porter from Short's Brewing Company.
Score: 70

Bottled on 10/31/11 bottle, served in a Surly Darkness snifter and enjoyed on 01/26/12.

Appearance: One finger of creamy dark tan colored head that settles into splotchy head in the center of the beer and a ring around the glass. Solid lacing followed by an oily film on the side of the glass. Black colored body with thin brown highlights at the top of the glass. 4/5

Smell: Roasted chocolate, creamy chocolate, black cherry and a little coffee. There is a light smokiness and a very very faint aromas of subtle blackberry. Aroma turns to sour fruit as it warms. 3/5

Taste: Taste is a lot "cherrier" and "blackberrier" than the aroma would have you believe -- both upfront and on the midpalate. Whereas the cherry aromas were complementary in the nose, they take the lead on the palate. A little tart and sweet, almost grape soda like, at first, but the cherry/berry flavors disappate towards the finish. Finish is straight charred chocolate and a hint of coffee. The front is very sweet and a little tart, but the finish is dry and a little bitter. 2.5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium-plus bodied, medium-plus carbonation. Finish is quite dry and a little bitter. 3/5

Overall: The aroma of this beer was initially inviting, but the flavor is too unbalanced and the beer turns oddly sour as it reaches room temperature. The berry/cherry/charred chocolate flavors meld well in the aroma, but they seem awkwardly juxtaposed and unbalanced on the palate.

Recommendation: An interested beer, perhaps worth having once, but this is not worth seeking out or buying a six pack of.

Pairings: The chocolate and cherry/berry flavors would make an interesting complement to a chocolate cake.

Cost: $10.99 for a six pack.

2.95/5  rDev -23.6%

Thanks to Otis once again for giving me this as an extra!

A: black to caramel in color, very rich looking with a small head that lingers, completely covering the top of the glass.

S: chocolate, coffee, and some cherry. It's roasty, but not overly so. Smells wonderful, with a hint of sweetness and tartness. A bit of medicine-like smell comes through sometimes, along with something metallic.

T: from chocolate and roasted flavors to some slight fruit flavor, a bit of malt, with an aftertaste that is far too smokey for my liking.

M: medium body, medium carbonation, but something was off about the feel. Maybe the mix of tastes tricked my mouth into thinking the feel is abnormal.

O: drinkability is low with the aftertaste, but it makes me want to continue drinking quickly. It seemed to get worse with each sip. After leaving it for a bit, I have a pleasant porter aftertaste. Started off so interesting and delicious.

12oz. bottle. I wish Short's would start putting dates on their bottles...

Appearance is black, slight reddish/dark purplish hue that shines through the edge of the glass. Dark tan and creamy head with purple hues. Moderate lacing.

Nose of roasted barley, kirschwasser, chocolate malt

Very sour up front, with roasted grains and black cherry juice. An unpleasant, astringent tannic bitterness rises up through the finish and doesn't let go. Misplaced hoppiness perhaps, or cherry skins leaching their tannins?

Mouthfeel seems rather thin for a porter, but seems like this bottle might be slightly overattenuated.

I can't help but wonder what this one tastes like on draft. I'm sure it's great fresh, but there's no way to tell how old this bottle is. Short's fruit beers need to be filtered with a freshness date on the bottle, or only sold on draft. I've had more soured, funky (not in a good way) Short's fruit beers than I care to admit.

3.05/5  rDev -21%

The porter pours a thick dark crimson color. It has an unusual tan color head with a red tinge.

This has a malt and cherries aroma. I also notice a sweet molasses smell.

Short's porter has an initial chocolate and sour cherry taste. The cherry flavor lingers on your palette. I also taste the roasted malt.

It didn't feel as thick as it looked. I have had Black Cherry Porter in bottle. This is not as creamy as other stouts.

An interesting porter, sort of disappointing drinkability for a Short's brew. More than a 22 oz. glass or a 12 oz. bottle would be tough. The Michigan cherries definitely make it worth trying.

3.05/5  rDev -21%

Bottle. Thanks to mothman for sharing. Pours a very dark brown/black color with a dark mocha colored tan head that settles to collar around my tulip glass. Interesting smell that I can't quite pinpoint or decide if I like or not. A mix of tobacco, leather, some booze, and some dark cherry or plum. Some sweet tart notes upfront followed by a roasty coffee and leather taste. Lighter body than I thought it would be with some carbonation. Lingering roasted bitterness is not that pleasant. I'm actually quite surprised their isn't more of a cherry flavor in this.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

Brewed with "black cherry puree"; color-wise, this beer is dark, almost oil-like; there are some very slight red tinges in the head, which is a bit frothy and sits at about a quarter inch; the lacing is substantial and stays on the glass well after a sip subsides; the nose is very dark roasted, almost bitter; there is a very light sweetness in the aroma; that said, there really isn't any cherry flavor here; it's pretty bitter on the tongue, almost coffee roasted; again, some very light sweetness in flavor but the cherry is non-distinguished; interesting taste for sure and heavy like a porter!

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Pours a healthy purple brown head that is soon just around the edges.

Smell of not surprisingly, black cherries, followed by dark roasted malts, some sweetness and some ash mixed with dark fruit.

Taste is just like the aroma. Healthy dosing of black cherries, lots of black patent malt, a lot of dark roast coffee, some chocolate but mostly ashy coal flavors. This is not my cup of tea. I typically rate pretty harshly on overly ashy dark roast beers and i dont feel like making an exception on this one. The entire afterbite is just dominated by ashiness. : (

Mouthfeel is Medium, very smooth if only it were not so jam packed with ashy tinder flavors that soon dominate the entire palate. Light carbonation typical for the style.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a nearly flat .5 finger coarse, dark mocha head with a reddish tint and little retention. Beer is an opaque black. More like an imperial porter than its little brother. Lacing is pretty. Stringy and with a nice spotty pattern underneath. Decent cling too.

S: Nose is liquorice, coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt bitterness. No cherry aroma is really detectable but regardless, spot on considering the style. Nothing outrageous but solid.

T: Opens liquorice, dark chocolate, and roasted malt bitterness. Cherry sweet and tartness lingers quietly in the background but its detectable towards the middle. Coffee beans and more liquorice at the finish adds more of a touch of tartness. Ends accented coffee. Cherry juice mixed with bitter chocolate and cocoa powder in the finish.

M: Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Oily in the mouth with a slight abrasiveness at the edges from the bubbles. Finish is accented and messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: A solid beer from Shorts but a general failure in terms of what I believe they're trying to do. Cherry is barely present and is completely overpowered by the dominant porter flavors. A solid beer but nothing out of the ordinary.

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Got this as an extra in a trade shared with my wife.

This beer is black with fluffy tan head. The head is thick and creamy and laces well.

The nose is sweet definitely a porter almost like a porter that got a little infected not in a bad way. Has a almost vanilla nose in the end.

The taste is a thick creamy porter to start sweet . The cherry tart flavor comes in and lingers. The flavor is isn't artificial . The carbonation is big but never harsh well rounded a good beer to try but I couldn't have it every day no could I finish it.

My wife liked it better then I

Short's Black Cherry Porter from Short's Brewing Company