Short's Black Cherry Porter - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Black Cherry PorterShort's Black Cherry Porter

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  7.00% ABV

One of our biggest beers offered, the Black Cherry Porter is a full flavored strong porter brewed with sweet black cherries. The formula consists of several different malts, lending deep opaque color with purple lace from the fresh fruit it's fermented with. Nearly 4 lbs. of fresh sweet black cherries go into each gallon of brew. A flavor of deep lustrous malt complexity and fullness, yet smooth with soft hints of toasted chocolate and pleasurable black cherry flavors. This beer has become one of our most sought after seasonal selections. People have lined up to drink nothing but Black Cherry Porter when brought to beer festivals and other off premise events. Now we bring it to you, enjoy.

35 I.B.U.'s
O.G. 19 deg. Plato
9 % A.B.V.

(Formerly called Rocky Top Black Cherry Porter, named after Rocky Top orchard.)

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2004)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
John_M

Oregon

Many thanks to Devin for sharing this the other day.

The beer pours a blackish brown color, with a slight reddish hue. The beer also has pretty good head retention and decent lacing. The nose intense and attractive in this beer, showcasing considerable coffee, dark chocolate, burnt toast and a hint of licorise. This beer really has a very roasty aroma profile, something that is carried through onto the palate. The flavor profile genereally replicates the nose, with no more than a hint of the promised black cherry. The beer is actually quite dry, despite some initial sweetness. There is also a hint of leather and tobacco in this beer. Mouthfeel is medium bodied to full, with a long roasty, dry, somewhat bitter finish. Drinkability isn't too bad, but the beer is so roasty and dry, and has so much a burnt toast flavor, I just can't imagine drinking a whole lot of this 9% beer.

A nice enough beer, but just not my cup of tea.

11-07-2010 20:55:19 | More by John_M
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Decided that I was going to go on a fridge cleaning for the next week before I need to take a break for a while. Went with this mixed sixer last night in an attempt to clean out some lighter fare. Served cold and poured into a pint glass, this was consumed on 11/03/2010.

I was really excited to this one, I have been working my way through a great deal of these new offerings but this one just screamed my name. The pour was dark, very dark with only light hints of a reddish tone around the sides and bottom of the glass. A nice head of tan rose up from the bottom of the glass and reached a height of around two fingers before settling back down to earth.

Aroma is deep dark malts, chocolate and rich berries all mixed together nearly perfectly. Warming brings out even more notes of rich raspberries, cherries, hints of milk chocolate and smooth roasted malts. Very full flavor and feel with a thick, viscous touch to it that really just made my day. Smooth chocolate wraps around the taste buds and leaves little doubt as it collides with the cherries to cause a full on dessert experience here. Just a tremendously well balanced and well placed flavor, just the right amount of fruit balanced just right against the big malts. Smooth and rich with a velvet like finish.

Overall easily my favorite of all the new shorts offerings. I could have this one all day long. Just really hit the spot.

11-04-2010 23:42:29 | More by mikesgroove
kbutler1

3.05/5  rDev -21%

Bottle. Thanks to mothman for sharing. Pours a very dark brown/black color with a dark mocha colored tan head that settles to collar around my tulip glass. Interesting smell that I can't quite pinpoint or decide if I like or not. A mix of tobacco, leather, some booze, and some dark cherry or plum. Some sweet tart notes upfront followed by a roasty coffee and leather taste. Lighter body than I thought it would be with some carbonation. Lingering roasted bitterness is not that pleasant. I'm actually quite surprised their isn't more of a cherry flavor in this.

11-04-2010 00:32:33 | More by kbutler1
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

3.38/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured into bells snifter

Pours a mahogony tan head. Fades down a bit. Leaves some lace rings. Very unique color head. Color is black.

Aroma: Roasted malts and sweet black cherries. They are borderlining tart. Has some dark chocolate as well. With a swirl of the glass I am able to smell some marshmallow flavors.

Taste: The black cherries are rather dry. It is big and roasted. Chocolate notes with some cream and vanilla. It has something in the background that I can't determine what it is. Has some coffee roast as well.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Medium to full bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with a long lasting coffee bitterness.

Overall, it is an alright porter, but just not was I was expecting. It had a bit to much roasted malt and too much bittering coffee in the finish. Somewhat drinkable.

11-04-2010 00:30:39 | More by mothman
kbeals

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

A- Pours an inky jet black. Vigorous pour yields a ring of mocha brown head. Dashes of lacing left around the sides of the glass, good head retention on what was there.

S- Mmmm, notes of dark black cherries, chocolate, coffee and vanilla. Very sweet and very inviting. Not much booze shows up in the aroma which is surprising given the 9%. I think the sweetness really helps to mask it.

T- Very similar to the aroma. Chocolate and coffee seem to be the most well pronounced flavors, with cherry coming in a close runner up. Booziness does show up a little bit in the taste however.

M- Medium-heavy body, very smooth with little carbonation.

D- So delicious and so drinkable, I remember having this on tap a while ago and immediately liking it. A definite winner from Short's and it might just be my new favorite beer form them. Cheers!

11-03-2010 01:48:21 | More by kbeals
WeisGuy

3.63/5  rDev -6%

2010 batch enjoyed on-tap during Short's night at Ashley's in Ann Arbor

Pours very nearly black with a deep burgundy tint. The half-inch tan head has a slight purple hue and sticks around on the edges only. The smell is of dark-chocolate covered cherries with perhaps a little cherry cola in there as well without much hint of alcohol. More of a milk chocolate and black cherry skin flavor with a strange, waxy, crayon-like taste up front. I have a hard time believing this is 9% abv - if it is, it is incredibly well-hidden. Medium-bodied with moderate to light carbonation and very little alcohol warming for the purported abv. Pretty drinkable stuff, especially compared to other Short's specialty beers. The alcohol is very well-hidden and the flavor is enjoyable despite the mild waxy taste and lack of complexity. I also like that the black cherry tastes authentic and not medicinal or overly sweet.

11-02-2010 01:09:40 | More by WeisGuy
SpeedwayJim

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a Sam Adams perfect pint.

A: Pours a nearly flat .5 finger coarse, dark mocha head with a reddish tint and little retention. Beer is an opaque black. More like an imperial porter than its little brother. Lacing is pretty. Stringy and with a nice spotty pattern underneath. Decent cling too.

S: Nose is liquorice, coffee, dark chocolate, and roasted malt bitterness. No cherry aroma is really detectable but regardless, spot on considering the style. Nothing outrageous but solid.

T: Opens liquorice, dark chocolate, and roasted malt bitterness. Cherry sweet and tartness lingers quietly in the background but its detectable towards the middle. Coffee beans and more liquorice at the finish adds more of a touch of tartness. Ends accented coffee. Cherry juice mixed with bitter chocolate and cocoa powder in the finish.

M: Medium bodied and lightly carbonated. Oily in the mouth with a slight abrasiveness at the edges from the bubbles. Finish is accented and messy and aftertaste lingers.

D: A solid beer from Shorts but a general failure in terms of what I believe they're trying to do. Cherry is barely present and is completely overpowered by the dominant porter flavors. A solid beer but nothing out of the ordinary.

11-01-2010 23:56:03 | More by SpeedwayJim
SpdKilz

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

First things first, a massive thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for sending out a couple of these badass Short's special brews for me to try. Cheers friend!

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with an absolute opaque black. I held it up to the light and nothing dares to get through. About a finger of dark mocha colored head is achieved with a moderate pour that dissipates at a modest pace, leaving thin, wispy lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Heavy roasted dark malts, sweet chocolate, sweet dark cherries. Everything I would expect a Short's beer labeled as such to smell like!

Taste - It is interesting; reading through people's reviews they state often times they can't taste the cherry. I'm not sure what beer they are drinking. The first flavor I get is utterly overly ripe cherry with that amazing sweetness. Now I will admit the cherry flavor is not dominate, nor does it last long. The essence of the cherry is gone relatively fast, when the wonderfully roasted malts and toasted chocolate kick in to dominate the overall flavors. But rest assured, there is for sure, lots of cherry flavor. This beer is an absolute treat after having a JP La Parcela. From overall tart to a nice sweet, cherry porter - am I in heaven? Accordingly, this is a LEGITIMATE natural cherry flavor (sorry for the caps, but I feel it important to stress). Nothing like SA Cherry Wheat (don't get me wrong, I love SA; they got me into craft beer. But the SA Cherry Wheat is processed disgusting cherry flavor). This has such a natural cherry flavor and overtone, I again wish I could share this with my father and brother-in-law who enjoy Michigan cherries/beer just as much as I do. Stupendous taste.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, lower carbonation. Perfect for this beer.

Drinkability - Is this really nine percent? I know it was before the release of the actual bottled six pack beer...but if it is, the alcohol is hidden amazingly well. No alcohol noticeable in the taste, nor is there any alcohol warming. Very easy to drink, though I am savoring it right now on my porch in Southern California on this 60 degree night (soon to be low 50's if not 40's). This is a complete knock out by Short's and is probably one of, if not the, best beer I've had by them. I am purposefully making myself wait between sips because I used one as a bottle share and only had just a hint (wanted to spread the wealth) so this is my last one and believe me, I am savoring it. Very good and highly recommended. Last notes - I love porters. Sam Adams Holiday Porter was one of my first craft beers which got me hooked on them. If I could have one porter for the rest of my life I can easily say this would be my pick.

11-01-2010 02:10:31 | More by SpdKilz
TCHopCraver

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Reviewed from notes made on 10/27/10.

A: The color is dark black and impenetrable to my eye with a dark mocha head that I swear has a tinge of dark red, ala a black cherry. This head is impressive in size at one and a half fingers and retains well. The lacing is gorgeous and reminds me of the cloudscape on this windy Northern Michigan day.

S: Roasted dark malts are the biggest aroma and mingle with with dark cherry smell kindly. Behind those scents are a slightly bitter dark chocolate smell, a definite coffee presence, and also some bitter hop aromas.

T: The tartness of the cherry puree and the bitterness of the hops play on the sides of my palate at first, then the roasted malt, slight chocolate, and coffee do their dance on my tongue. The sweet, tart cherry and the roasted porter backbone blend fairly well, but I think I would like the flavor balance to tilt more in favor of the straight porter taste.

M: If I had any complaint, it would be that the cherry presence makes the feel a little too bright and stinging for a porter. The beer is decently coating on my palate, though, and resides on the lighter side of medium-bodied.

D: This is a very interesting take on a porter, and well worth a try. I will certainly have more of this brew over time. The tartness of the cherry adversely affects the sessionability of the beer a little bit, though. This is one of those beers that I swear I have enjoyed better on draft than I have out of the bottle. Maybe I'll review the draft pull the next time that I am at Shorts.

10-30-2010 18:35:01 | More by TCHopCraver
BierFan

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Thin head is the color of chocolate milk with some slight purple hue. The body is very black.

Smell: Roasted malts and some slight cherry.

Taste: Dark malts giving some roasted coffee and dark chocolate right upfront. Cherries lending their sweetness into the aftertaste.

Another great fruit flavored stout/porter from a MI brewer. This is right up there with Bell's Cherry Stout and Dark Horse Blueberry Stout.

10-30-2010 00:58:26 | More by BierFan
decadance

4.13/5  rDev +7%

A - Fairly black with about an inch of head on a normal pour. Head dissipates quickly.

S - Cherries pretty much dominate here, but without that sweet smell. Some burnt malts around, but it mostly cherries.

T - Bitter cherries (not sour bitter, just not sweet) and burnt malts. Almost smokey in the rear. Highly enjoyable.

M - Nice medium mouthfeel, but a little clingy at the end, so I marked it down.

D -Well, its not a one and done, but two and out for sure. The one I am having will be enough for me this evening, but I would enjoy another if possible.

10-28-2010 23:16:46 | More by decadance
cetherid

Indiana

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

poured into a tulip

A.

pours a deep dark color. maybe some slight brown/ruby colors but this is pitch black. Head is about a fingers worth and brownish/red.

S.

smells of roasted malts, chocolate and a little cherry. There is some other funky smell in there that I can't put my mind to..perhaps wood??? Not sure if I got a bad bottle?? Smells are kinda weak. I was hoping for something stronger.

T.

toasted/burnt malts with some tart cherries. I was hoping for a sweetness like Bell's cherry stout. More like cherry skins. Personally not a fan of this.

M.

medium bodied. decent carbonation. tartness in it leaves the mouth feeling dry.

D.

doubt i'd try this again unless it was on tap. Being in Indiana and this being a Short's brew, very difficult to find. Alcohol is kinda high which would lower this, even if I like it a lot.

10-27-2010 01:41:48 | More by cetherid
otto251068

Tennessee

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a Chimay goblet. No freshness date.

Appearance: The beer pours a very dark chocolate brown. Absolutely no light getting through this one. Took a hard pour to get some head, but it was worth it. Extremely dark brown foam, color reminds me of frothy chocolate milk. Rises to about a fingers worth, then fades to a thin layer.

Smell: Dark chocolate, tons of roasted (or burnt) malts, small notes of fruit in there, not cherry as I would expect, but strawberry. Alcohol as it warms, as well as dark, roasted coffee.

Taste: Bitterness up front (lots), along with dark chocolate. Plenty of burnt and roasted malts in this one. Coffee, smoke as well. A touch of fresh, very tart cherry at the end which is delicious. The cherry seems to have a tough time fighting through all the other flavors, but its there at the end. The cherry is almost an afterthought, which I like. A bit of bitterness lingers.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied with medium carbonation. The beer has a creamy texture, very smooth and easy to drink. The bubbles are very lively.

Overall: There are lots of burnt/smoky/roasted flavors, and the tart cherry is a great finish to all of them. A nice change of pace. It's a definite sipper, and I can't say enough about that smooth, cherry finish.

10-26-2010 22:35:18 | More by otto251068
Frosty80

4.58/5  rDev +18.7%

Color: so far so good. pours like 6 month-old motor oil. dont see that too often. sits completely black with a thick, moussy head reminiscent of 3 Musketeers inner nuget.

Smell: falls a little short. it has a real clean aroma but you have to really concentrate on picking it apart. very delicate roasted malt aroma. black cherry is very faint

Taste: full malty flavor with a delicate roast. black cherry must naturally compliment the dark malt because it seems to hide in the shadow. hint of dark chocolate. finish is lightly bitter with hint of roast and black cherry skins

Mouthfeel: full-bodied with medium carbonation. very smooth and silky

Notes: very disappointed that it wasnt a little more fruity. absolutely fantastic porter though. pushes towards a stout. not as let down as many of their releases.

10-26-2010 04:26:39 | More by Frosty80
Magpie14

4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

A: crimson, brown and deep purple hues flow from the bottle into my tumbler. The body is deep and heavy looking, nearly convinced I was pouring a stout. The head is weighty and caramel coffee in color. Speckled lacing is most appealing and running rampant. This is looking promising

S: shortly after opening the bottle the smell of tart cherries was in the air, wowzers. Continued smelling brought about heavily roasted malts, some cocoa, and even more cherries. This is a nice assembly of smells for a porter. It maintains a large and deep malt base with a mild mannered sweetness in the mix

T: this is amazing. Delicious and ginormous roasted malts (close to being charred) lock in the bottom end. Then, going back and forth, is a harmonious interplay of tart and sweet cherries. This amalgamation of flavors, in of itself, is near perfect. Continued sips unlock mingling soft cocoa, heavy cream, and some coffee notes. I find that the tail end of each sip is laden with a few crushed dark roasted coffee beans. This is without a doubt one of the best porters to date. I am not huge into sour or tart porters and stouts. But when done right, they can be to die for and this one is

M: silky and velvet-like on the tongue. Considering the 9.0% ABV it is nearly impossible to detect, even as thing warm up. Speaking of warming, the flavors are out of this world

D: as of right now, this is one of my personal favorites from Short's. No doubts. Dark beer drinkers need to get a hold of this one

10-26-2010 00:28:52 | More by Magpie14
AleWatcher

3.28/5  rDev -15%

Picked this up on a much needed beer run/apple-picking excursion to the great state of Michigan. Had a blast!

Pours a dense, deep, brooding black. Red and brown hues appear in the legs and around the edges. The dark tan head is the color of wet sand... It starts about 2 fingers and settles pretty quickly to a ring of bubbles forming a lazy collar around the glass. Some spotty lace clings behind.

Smells like a porter. Where's the cherry? Oh... There they are. Letting this warm a bit leads to the cherry notes emerging... But they are no match for the roasted coffee, toffee, caramel malts, black malts, and cocoa notes. The sweet black cherries come in towards the back and remind me of non-brand-name "black cherry cola" from my youth. Sweet... Black cherry... I was hoping this would be MORE black cherry and LESS porter... But I guess it just isn't to be.

The body is full and roasty. A little slick and oily at the finish, but overall, not offensive.

Not offensive sums up this beer. It isn't amazing. It certainly isn't one I'll buy again, but to be fair, I don't like porters. I was hoping this would be more of a fruit beer, and it wasn't.

I try to rate to style-- so even though I dont love porters, I rated this fairly... Perhaps the presence of black cherry purée upped my expectations which were then let down... resulting in a lower score... But, the review is the review. Perhaps I'll eventually try Shorts regular porter, which will allow me to appreciate the black cherry notes more. As it is, this beer is unmemorable.

10-26-2010 00:17:25 | More by AleWatcher
stakem

4.45/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to cmurren25 for sharing this brew at Als during the pumpkin murren event on Saturday.

Poured into a snifter this brew appears nearly black in color with a darkly tan head that fades slowly. When held to the light it has some lighter browness showing through the edges and hints of redness.

The smell of this brew is roasty dark malt coming across like chocolate. There is a background note of fruity alcohol esters thy develope more towards being cherry as it warms. If it didn't say black cherry on the bottle I doubt I could hve identified it as such. Also coming through in the aroma is some citrusy hops that compliment the smell of fruit and dark grain.

The taste is dark roasted grain with a nice bitterness that is partly due to the level of roast of the malt and some citrusy bitterness imparted by the hops. The alcohol is noticeable again accenting the fruity side of this brew. It has a long lingering aftertaste of burnt grain mixed with cherry that imparts a dryness on the tongue.

A medium bodied brew with a light enjoyable level of carbonation. A pleasant take on the style and done quite well. It is a good balance of roast, hops, fruit and alcohol.

10-25-2010 15:32:21 | More by stakem
johndoe8

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

A: Very little carbonation, almost no head. Looks rather smooth, if that can describe the viscosity, but there's really good lacing on this.
S: Smell is typically malty with a mild cherry nose.
T: This is an extremely good porter. As others have noted, the cherry really takes a back seat to just a great porter. The subtle cherry notes accentuate it, but do not add any sweetness or take away from the nice roasty taste of a good porter.
M: Mouthfeel also very good.
D: Very drinkable porter. Highly recommended.

Overall notes:

I was honestly expecting something like the New Glarus Cherry Stout, which is a sweet fruit beer, and would not remind me of a stout no matter how many times I tried it. This however is a genuine porter with great flavor and does not stray far from the style. I really like it, and probably barely edges out the Stone Vanilla Smoked Porter as my favorite porter in terms of taste.

10-25-2010 07:22:49 | More by johndoe8
SeaUrchin

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

just picked up 2 bottles today, going to pick up a few more tomorrow

served from bottle to a pint glass

appearance - dark, didnt manage to be able to hold it up to a light at my girlfriends today other than the tv but it appeared to be a dark dark brown to a black, with a nice brownish red head that was a good finger high and left decent lacing on the glass

smell - smelled sweet with a nice fruity front, smelled of cherry no doubt in my mind, followed by a nice sweet malty scent, very pleasant, made me excited to taste it

taste - started off with a slight bitterness that quickly passed into a sweet malty flavor, then moved into a nice sweet cherry flavor and finished with a slight tartness that enticed one to take another sip, very pleasant and smooth flavor, as it warmed up the cherry was much more pronounced and so was a sweet bitterness, tartness remained about the same

mouthfeel - a full mouthfeel but not too heavy, slight wateriness at the end but felt as thick as i expected from the scent, but thicker than anticipated from the smell

drinkability - drank the 2 that i bought and wished that i had had a third, delicious will buy again very soon

this beer based off the name made me fear that it was going to taste like the tussin(black cherry i always associate with cough syrup) i was pleasantly surprised by the actual flavor, something i can drink in the cooler fall michigan nights but i dont see it being something that i would want to drink all winter long, great brew in my opinion

10-23-2010 03:42:58 | More by SeaUrchin
alexgash

Connecticut

12 oz. bottle.

Very dark inky brown-black body with a solid finger of resilient, lacy, dark khaki brown head. Nose of cocoa powder, crushed cherries, strawberries, and chocolate milk.

Roasted malt and coffee bitterness up front. Dark chocolate and milk chocolate sweetness blend together mid-palate. Rich cherry flavors pepper the edges, with a nice balance of tart and sweet. If anything, the cherry plays a minor, but important role. The roasted milk chocolate maltiness steals the show. Full-bodied with a velvety smooth mouthfeel. Delicious, and possibly one of the best Short's beers I've had so far!

10-21-2010 03:09:44 | More by alexgash
kzoobrew

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Well, here's the deal. These new releases from Short's makes it a little confusing on which one to review under. This description matched the best and I am going with it.

Very deep cherry stained brown. Opaque body with light only peaking through the thinner edges. Two finger chai colored head, with a slim cap left sitting atop. Decent amount of lacing left clinging to the walls of the glass.

Deep roasted malt, coffee and loads of dark chocolate. Heavy dark cherry aroma meshes wonderfully with the dark malt flavors. Slight hints of vanilla are buried beneath.

Dark chocolate and cherry ooze from every ounce. Heavily roasted malt with a slight char taste. French roasted coffee flavor comes off with a pleasant but strong roasted bitterness. Black cherry flavor is slightly tart, not as sweet as some may expect.

Full bodied with a rather creamy texture. Carbonation is low but appropriate. Flavors dig deep into the tongue making for a long finish.

This is one of the best porters I have had the pleasure of drinking. Easy drinking and the alcohol is masked rather well. A bit of a sipper due to the richness of the flavor. I think I need to go a pick up a couple more sixers of this to keep on hand.

10-16-2010 17:44:33 | More by kzoobrew
adamette

4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

This was the bartender's recommendation at HopCat during my visit there. At the time she simply said that "it has the most unique taste." On tap at HopCat in Grand Rapids, MI two days ago. Review from notes taken at the bar. Poured into a clean, clear glass.

A Dark brown head, black body with great lacing. I do not know how it can be improved. 5.0

S Dark roast malt and the darkest cherry smell. 4.0

T Dark roast malt, some cherry sweetness but it is black cherry of course so it is eclipsed somewhat by the dark roast malt taste. To me, this is a very tasty Porter in its own right (without the Black Cherry) but the black cherry adds a little something extra to "sweeten the deal." 4.5

M Big, foreboding thick feel. Love it.5.0

D Fair plus drinkability as this is a huge beer, one that I could probably only have one of. 3.5

Notes: I agree with the bartender that this is a unique tasting beer and I am glad that she made the recommendation.

10-21-2009 03:36:47 | More by adamette
webmanspidey

4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

Had on tap at Short's brewpub and then picked up a growler to go.

Dark brown in color, light purple/pink caramel lacing. Smell and taste are a mix of dry dark chocolate with a very tart black cherry finish. Lightly carbonated and a mellow creamy mouthfeel. Excellent drinkability. A very smooth, delicious beer.

Serving type: growler

08-30-2009 00:27:07 | More by webmanspidey
Freshie

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

Had this on-tap at the Roadhouse in Brookline, MA, at a short's Beer night, this past weekend. If this is not the black cherry porter I drank, please someone let me know.

Dark as crud color, with slightly maroon lacing on the sides of the glass.

Aroma is sweet, with some dark fruit, what I assume would be the cherries. slight spicy hops, and some alcohol.

The taste is sweet, and somewhat refreshing, which shocked me for a beer with such ABV. Alcohol warms as you drink though. The sweetness comes from the cherries. Faint note of floral hops. A bit sticky from the fruit.

Very drinkable and well made.

04-26-2009 13:38:54 | More by Freshie
NDPDuke

4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Crunchies in Lansing, MI. Not my favorite style, but whenever I see a Short's brew, I am inclined to try it. Poured into the traditional pint glass via tap.

Appearance: A dark mahogany color with a thing head on top. Looks like a thick porter with a hint of cherries (HENCE THE NAME).

Smell: Smells of the black cherries that I am used to picking up north in the area where this brewery is located. The cherry smell is strong, but pleasing. Also have a few hints of chocolate and molasses near the end.

Taste: Tastes like a porter with cherries mashed into it. For the 9% alcohol level, it's really not too strong. The cherries do a good job of meshing with the classic porter style. Similar to the smell, can't taste a bit of chocolate and malts as you get near the bottom.

Mouthfeel: Thick, creamy, like a porter. The cherry taste sticks in the mouth once the beer has gone.

Drinkability: For 9% alcohol, this brew is quite easy to get through. For me though, cherry brews and other associated fruit types usually come one at a time. Probably same with this one. Would prefer to just have one or two at a time.

Overall, a very good cherry porter. Usually I am not a big fan of these types of beers. I usually struggle with the overpowering cherry taste. In this case though, the classic porter style sticks with an overtone of cherry. Backed by chocolate and molasses, this is a very good beer.

01-07-2008 20:53:05 | More by NDPDuke