Short's Pandemonium Pale Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Pandemonium Pale AleShort's Pandemonium Pale Ale

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.40% ABV

This blessed, coppered colored ale lends it’s hue to hearty pale ale malts and hand selected specialty grains. Glacier hops balance the wort resulting in  hoppy, and earthy flavors which compliment the core beer base.
49 I.B.U.’s
12.8 deg.  Plato
5.4% A.B.V.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-19-2004)
1.18/5  rDev -67.4%

Cloudy orange in appearance with very little head from the get go, and almost non-existent retention. Has a sweet, citrus smell partnered with almost metallic like quality. Taste seems to follow up with the smell adding in a little bit of bitterness at the forefront and the mouthfeel is thin with some carbonation.

Overall, not happy that I wasted so much money on a beer I dislike so much. Wish I didn't have 5 more left in the fridge. If I had the extra money right now I'd head back to the liquor store and buy something else, leaving the rest for guests/friends when they come over.

1.5/5  rDev -58.6%

1.68/5  rDev -53.6%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a hazy amber color with a finger of off white head. A thin layer remains.

Smell: Sweet from the malt, perhaps a hint of fruit from the hops.

Taste: Here is where things totally fell apart for me. Super watery and mildly sweet, again there is a hint of fruit. There is a ton of bitterness at the finish, but nothing is working here for me. So much so that I wonder if this is a bad bottle.

Mouthfeel: Thin body with high carbonation. Super dry finish.

Overall: This is a drain poor for me. I hope this beer is usually better. The bitterness didn't go with anything else in the beer, and it was really watery.

1.88/5  rDev -48.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

12 oz. bottle served in a pilsner glass. Thanks to Holland (Eric) for the extra a while back. Found this guy floating around in the back of the fridge and decided to crack it open.

A: Pours a clear copper color with a solid light yellow head forming on the pour. The head slowly recedes to a thick collar with nice sheets of lace left behind.

S: The first whiff is not pleasant. Spoiled honey with slight souring note. Souring in a gone bad though. The bready malts are almost sourdough in nature.

T: There is a slight compost heap flavor with spoiled hops upfront, but those quickly fade to pale malts. The finish is sourdough bread malts with some unpleasant.

M: The unpleasantness of the nose and taste make this guy hard to get down. Luckily the flavors exit the taste buds rather quickly so swallowing isn't too bad of an option.

O: Well I don't know. It looked so good and I've liked other Short's beers. Their Mystery Stout is really good, but this one was just not good. The malt bill was not pleasant in any way, shape or form and the hops were just not there. Not balanced. Avoid.

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%

2.28/5  rDev -37%

Received as an extra in trade a few weeks back.

Pours an amber color with red hues. One finger of white head, good lace and retention. Decent aroma, though it's a bit heavy on the sweet malts. But that's where the praise ends...

Taste is awful. Bitter, dirt-y. Hints of sweet malt in the background, but mostly just terrible. Can't say I'm surprised though; this is about par for the course for a Short's beer. Time to meet my drain!

2.58/5  rDev -28.7%

A: Light copper orange or straw color with a small head that dissipates rather fast.

S: Not a whole lot going on at first - some acidity and a bit of malt with earthiness. I kind of picked up on earthiness rather fast. In fact I don't know if I had a older one or not but I also picked up on some Oregeno or something like that.

T: Bitterness, malt, grass or Oregeno or Garlic to me anyways just kind of tasted like some short of a pizza beer to me whatever it was it was pretty overpowering in this beer.

M: Light body and low carbonation for the style. I kind of thought it was Thin.

O: Overall, I didn't really care for it and I just have had a lot of misses with shorts. I like the fact that they take chances and kind of experiment but I have only found I few of there beers I like. Everytime I go to Michigan I pick up a mixed six pack to try there different styles and flavors and it only cost about $10 bucks so to me it's worth the risk because I might find something I like.

2.63/5  rDev -27.3%

Bottle courtesy of Stephen. Thank you again for sending me a variety of Short's stuff to explore! Into a Magic Chouffe tulip that's backlit by the sun fading through the trees. This weather lately has been simply spectacular and helped to shake me the, albeit mild, winter doldrums.

Darker copper orange pour crowned by a good two fingers of tall pillowy white. Retention is good and lacing is disappointingly low. When first poured it's a particularly good looking beer.

Smell is predominantly sourdough bread. Lingering beneath is under-ripe honeydew melon. A malt driven pale on the nose to be sure.

Taste is much the same. Big sourdough breadiness and an undercurrent of bitter melon that's not juicy, but rather dry and not yet fresh. Body is medium and carbonation is on the lighter end.

Overall, this is slightly below average pale. Not something I would go out of way to drink again, but happy to have had the chance.

2.68/5  rDev -26%

12oz bottle poured into pint glass - thanks to landrewg

Pours a hazed caramel color with some golden hues. A massive head balloons out of control as the beer is almost all foam. It took a while to pour before it settled down...not a great sign.

Some floral hope bite with citrus and orange. Some grassy notes with biscuit malt, but a slight ping of tartness as well which runs throughout.

Bitter hops and citrus juice up front. Orange and a slight bite of grapefruit mix with an off-putting tartness. The fruit and hop flavor is trying to remain on top, but there's definitely something off here, as a dry sourness with some metallic edges becomes present.

Medium body, way high carbonation, dry and lingers forever. I really like Short's but this isn't the first time I've gotten a weird bottle from them. I'll re-review this if/when I get another one.

2.7/5  rDev -25.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

12 fl oz bottle served in a snifter:

A - Pours a murky, non transparent burnt orange/copper color with a thin head of a half finger. Retention is terrible.

S - Smells strongly of citrus fruit and cotton candy. Sweet caramel malts form the foundation. Doesn't have the typical American cascade/centennial nose standard in APA's, which is welcome.

T - Heavy on the caramel malt. Bread and citrus. Noticeably bitter on the finish. Rather simple and watery on the finish, and it's not quite as complex as I would have guessed.

M - Too smooth, too wet.

D - A decent beer, that has potential, but in it's current form is nowhere near great.

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

My first beer from Short's. Poured into a pint glass.

Appearance- Pours a murkey orange and fairly cloudy. Almost a two finger white head that dissipates to a small layer a top the beer.

Smell- Some faint citrus hops, but fairly malty overall. Some light, dark fruit notes.

Taste- Again, not a whole lot going on here. Has a strange sweet taste, with a bit of grapefruit on the finish.

Mouthfeel- Light and thin, fairly watery. Not to good.

Overall- Maybe this is a bad bottle or old? There is a number code on the bottle, but I can not tell what it means, the label is unmarked. I like the label artwork, but that is the best part of this beer (I will bump the appearance up half a point!).

2.73/5  rDev -24.6%

A: Pours a dark copper.

S: Hints of fruit, zest, caramel, and hops.

T: Bitter start that transitions into a dry, zesty wood finish.

M: Smooth, but lingering bitterness.

O: I'm a huge Short's fan, but, I wouldn't go out of my way to drink this again.

2.75/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Dark gold in color on the pour. Only a little bit of a frothy head forms on the pour. Plenty of spotty lacing left on the side of the glass. Smell is slight malts, but has a bit of a lagerish smell to it. Entirely not what I was expecting.
Taste is bittering hops and just bitter. Crisp, but tastes just a bit dirty. Not sure what type of Pale Ale this is.
Not something that I enjoyed or will revisit.

2.78/5  rDev -23.2%

Pours a hazy golden-brown with a 1-inch off-white head that dissipates quickly. Fresh hoppy nose with some fruit, although I cannot identify the fruit. Overripe mandarins? Light-medium body. Nice front, short center and slow lingering finish. I expected a crisp finish, but find a low sweet note instead. Definite earthy tones. Nice Belgian lace forms. Refreshing but not overly interesting nor memorable. It is not moreish. Depending on what else is available, I would consider trying it again on a hot day.

Short's Pandemonium Pale Ale from Short's Brewing Company