Short's Autumn Ale - Short's Brewing Company

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.75% ABV

Availability: Fall

A malty amber ale over toned with slight caramel flavors and notable pleasant hoppiness throughout. An international award winning recipe.
30 I.B.U.'s
13 deg. Plato
5.75 % A.B.V

(Beer added by: proc on 11-01-2004)

zoso1967, Nov 25, 2011
4.76/5  rDev +32.2%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had on tap at shorts brew pub on vacation. & Pick up sixers of it every fall in SE MI !

Sidenote: I love shorts beer, and love ESB's.. therefore this is incredible.

A: A slightly hazy light copper color.. leaves a little head but mostly bubbles and fades away.

S: Sweet malty smell with tropical fruit.. just a hint of it.

T: Crisp and clean for a ESB. really hits like a amber ale and the fruit and wild stuff come in at the finish for me... excellent

M: Solid and on par with ESBs ive had, very good. Chewy and fruity.

O: Thank you sir may I have another? Will continue to buy sixers of this magical beverage until they run out and am forced to wait until next year

Drk93TT, Sep 24, 2012

KATramp, Apr 04, 2012

Hail_to_the_Beers, Nov 27, 2013

zchops, Apr 15, 2012
4.68/5  rDev +30%

A - Has a medium amber colored head with a thin toffee colored head.

S - Has a nice light toffee aroma to it with a big grapefruit aroma. Other aroma's detected are a light spice aroma and a fresh green (almost grassy) hop aroma.

T - Starts out with a nice caramelly malt flavor with a nice grapefruit flavor. Finishes with a light hop bitterness.

M - Light bodied and lightly carbonated.

O - Wow! I honestly can't believe all the reviews below mine. This is an amazing beer! It has an amazing flavor and aroma and is such a well balanced beer. Definitely one of my top ten beers of all time.

clint1019, Sep 08, 2011

mikerap100, May 25, 2013

bubbamich, Sep 09, 2014

Hoppyman49, Dec 16, 2012

RomeosPartyStore, Jan 15, 2012

sennin, Apr 28, 2012
4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

during the great pumpkin carving of 2010, this was one of many new beers sampled. served cold and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 10/29/2010.

the pour was a wonderful shade of amber with a good level of carbonation that was easily visible through the glass. nice head of white that comes up to around two inches and settles own with a moderate amount of lacing.

aroma of nicely rounded hops, light citrus mixed with a caramel sweetness that is simply sublime. near perfection here with every whiff. taking the first sip only reinforces this as each sip is better then the next. really just clean, crisp notes of citrus hops, caramel, bready malts, and a touch of apple like tartness cross the palate and leave a clean, sparkling finish that begs you to drink more.

overall one of the finest tasting and easist drinking seasonals i have had in a very long time. really very, very well done.

mikesgroove, Oct 30, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

Bottle poured into my Young's nonic pint.

A- A moderate pour left a 1-1/2 finger khaki/tan head that drops to about 1/2 finger before falling to a full film. The body is a slightly hazy copper with light carbonation. Great sticky rings are left on the glass. Recent Short's brews have been lacking a bit in head retention for me. This one seemed to be a bit better in that regard.

S- As I poured, I was met with an initial hop rush that was earthy and herbal. There's a solid malt backbone that's somewhere between sweet and bready/grainy. Very nicely balanced. Something I'd expect from the style. Profile seems the same whether cold right from the pour or warmed after a long, enjoyable drink.

T- Great. Malts and hops come together in a wonderful balance. Malts are sweet at first and combine with earthy hops that are a bit grassy and herbal. The finish reminds me of a Whole-Wheat Ritz cracker. It seems like that typical Short's recipe that tweaks tradition and throws you for a bit of a loop. Malts morph into more of a grainy flavor with some warmth.

M- It's pleasantly, mildly grainy. Carbonation borders between medium and light. There's a slight tingle (hops perhaps). It's quite full without being offensively thick or biting. Well within the style for me.

D- ESB means balance and drinkability to me. This hit it head on. It's tweaked without losing ESB qualities. I would seek this beer out. If it weren't a fall seasonal, I could see this being a regular in my year-round rotation.

GRPunk, Oct 10, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +23.1%

I drank this beer straight from the bottle.

Appearance: Through the amber glass after a few sips, I see a relatively strengthened head of about one cm inside the bottle. Sticky lacing on the side from which I am not drinking. Looks good to me!

Smell: Sappy citrus. Some coriander perhaps, and a lot of sour molasses. Sweet bread or fruitcake. Heavy on the malt nose.

Taste/Mouthfeel: I was a bit repulsed at first: a desired quality in an ESB, for me anyway. Bitter, sweet and sour all at once...the syrupy flavors intermingle with grapefruit-like sour citrus tones. Bready on the palate, but goes with very smoothly, leaving behind very little residue. A clean sip.

Overall: A win for Short's Brewing, again.

Lauthaha, May 06, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +20.3%

A_Burnt orange/copper color with a thin tan head. Good retention and lots of lacing.

S_Toasted malt,bread,orange zest,peppercorns.

T_Dry,toasted malt,biscuit,orange zest,grapefruit, peppercorns and grassy hops.Lots of flavors but overall really well balanced.

M_Medium bodied,crisp very drinkable and refreshing.

D_Very delicious drinkable beer.

Not sure how this rates to style. Not too familiar with ESBs. This is great though.

nickadams2, Oct 03, 2010
4.28/5  rDev +18.9%

I was waiting for a semi-chilly day to try this one. And here we go...

Pours a rich but dull copper/amber. head is cream white and somewhat dense. Lacing is nice, half sticky half clean.

Aroma has a blend of hops and caramel. The hops give hints of citrus and floral, but tend to lean more toward earthy. And this gives a nice segue to the caramel. Bready and a bit sticky. Some herbal notes. Just when I think it'll become a Scottish beer, the hops provide a detour. Nice feel to it throughout. Perhaps a bit more citrusy than a regular ESB, but still quite nice.

Mebuzzard, Oct 20, 2011

Steimie, Sep 29, 2012

MacStinson, Nov 17, 2011

hopnado, Aug 30, 2014

duceswild, Mar 19, 2013

GinsuDave, May 15, 2013

Tracker83, Nov 04, 2012
4.22/5  rDev +17.2%

12oz. Not sure who sent me this. All you MI BA's kick ass, though.

A- Ruddy brown and a 1cm head that's slightly off white.

S- Sweet and spicy hops. Nice malt presence.

T- Nice fruity malts and earthy bitterness. Hops are in the background. A little bit of orange zest. A lot drier and not as sweet as the nose had me thinking- I'm thankful for that. Supremely balanced. I don't have many ESBs under my belt but this one is very tasty.

M- Moderate carbonation, nice finish. No qualms here.

D- Moderately high. Wow, this beer is tasty! I was not sure how I would like this one and am pleasantly surprised. Worth taking for a spin.

ShogoKawada, Feb 02, 2011
4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

A huge thanks to erikkoppin for this great beer. Cheers Erik and congratulations again.
What an absolutely fitting beer for tonight. I smell someone barbequing with wood, there is already a nice breeze going, it is a bit humid, about to dip below the 70's and not even five thirty yet. Enough sentiment and my missing the Midwest. On to the review!

Appearance - Pours a dark ginger into my SA Perfect Pint with about a finger of quickly dissipating head that leaves slight lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell - Oranges, pine, green apples, caramel, heavy sweet malts, and what seems like tea. This has a fascinating aroma (can't that be said for almost all of Short's beers?).

Taste - The initial taste is different from what you are expecting. There is a most definite bitterness up front that is heavy in piney hops, and again, I feel like unsweetened tea. There is a wave of citrus that takes over the bitterness (though the bitterness is not off putting nor overpowering). Fruits such as grapefruit, orange, and slight green apple bombard my taste buds. The taste finishes with the toasted malts, biscuit, spices, and toffee. Delicious.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, noteworthy crisp, moderate carbonation.

Drinkability - Unbelievable. I only have one of these and am doing my best to enjoy it, and I sure am. Very drinkable, the flavors are just damn so perfect together. I want to move to Michigan near Short's when I retire (oh the irony how I am still in Grad School and am yet to even start "work" yet here I talk about retiring) so I can enjoy their beers all the time, and on tap. Thanks again to Erik for hooking me up with tons of Short's brews I can't wait to dive into.

SpdKilz, Oct 16, 2010
4.2/5  rDev +16.7%

Force poured into my favorite (antique?)stemmed tulip-style Whitbread Extra Stout chalice. It's a deep somewhat bloody amber color with great clarity. The settled head rests at 3/4" and is a creamy, craggy slightly toasted marshmallow color. Almost no visible uprising carbonation. Dainty but uninterupted thin rings of lace all the way down.

The nose is extravagantly fruity and malty al at once. It smells (at least to me) exactly like freshly dipped sour granny smith caramel apples. Then there's a lush tropical fruit element with a buttermilk backdrop. Reminds me of sitting in an up north diner's toasted sourdough bread with apricot marmalade.

The liquid hits my mouth with a direct and bitter blast straight outta the gate. Just when you think this ale is most likely going to be sweet & syrupy, The Short's brewers tweak your head big time. The toasted malts are very upfront while the hops really captivate the upfront flavors. The hops are very earthy and not at all citrus-like or piney. Funny, because the fruity scents that were so apparent in the nose are really diminished in the flavor - which IMHO is a good thing due to it's style category.

Mouthfeel is very English in nature. Not a lot of carbonation, but it is there in a moderate amount. Between light and medium bodied with a definite dry, bitter and not-so-much chalky finish.

Drinkability is killer. The clean flavors beckon you to quaff more and more. The bitterness really keeps you thirsty.

Overall an utterly fantastic rendition of a hard to nail style. Short's really got it right with this ESB. I adore the paradox of the sweet, fruity, malty nose and the bitter & dry textures/flavors. A masterfully crafted English Special Bitter that would make our fellow BA 'Ding' proud for sure. Too bad I'm only an in-person trader. Good stuff here!

malty, Oct 03, 2010