Short's Autumn Ale - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Extra Special / Strong Bitter (ESB) |  5.75% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: proc on 11-01-2004

A malty amber ale over toned with slight caramel flavors and notable pleasant hoppiness throughout. An international award winning recipe.
30 I.B.U.'s
13 deg. Plato
5.75 % A.B.V
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 289 | Reviews: 95

3.52/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 9/12/13. Poured into a ... ahem ... a shaker pint. A glass is better than NO glass, right?

Appearance: Super hazy brown/orange color, almost like the color of the bottle the beer is in. Finger of a light tan head. Not much lacing. This beer certainly says Autumn to me.

Smell: For some reason, I thought this almost gave the aroma of a new car. I drank it, I let it warm up a bit, I tried to study it... I came to the conclusion that this smells like Autumn. That's probably due in large part because I know what the beer is and see the label, but it gives me that impression. It smells like fallen leaves on dirt.

Taste/feel: A lot like the smell. Just a really easy drinking beer without much depth in flavor. You get the dirty sort of malt flavor. A slight hop spiciness. And that's basically it. Quite earthy flavors in here. There is very little bitterness on the finish, my guess would be about 30 IBUs. The feel is about what I had expected. A medium body with a pretty light carbonation.

Autumn Ale's a fairly enjoyable, albeit forgettable, beer from Short's. I love the label on it, the beer looks great when it's poured, and it has a decent flavor, but there's just not enough depth to really keep my interest. Regardless of that, I could see myself enjoying a few of these while watching the leaves fall. Sometimes I don't enjoy a taste of a particular beer as much as I enjoy the bits of nostalgia I get from it... this is one of those beers. Just makes me think about jumping into a pile of fallen leaves. I think the smell and taste of this beer actually sort of captures that, as weird as that sounds.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

3.8/5  rDev +5%

This beer is a thick, ruddy brown-orange, heavy in the deepest part of it with just a little give. The head it forms is about half a finger tall, just off-white, and a little too soft to keep up. Some does remain, and it manages strong spotting.
The smell is mostly earthy and metallic with a little tea leaf. There's just a ghost of toffee in there.
The flavor is toasty with steely overtones, and more expressive than the nose. The middle to finish is very tea-like, with chalky and leafy dryness along with woody notes in the finish. Otherwise, just a hint of caramel adds a light touch of sweetness. Somehow Short's made this beer seem hoppy with only 30 IBUs, but without taking flavor away.
It really leans dry all the way, downright woolly on the palate at times leading into the leafy/woody finish. It is nicely crisp, and there's something keeping the dryness from going overboard. It's clean enough to be pretty smooth underneath.

3.25/5  rDev -10.2%

2.25/5  rDev -37.8%

2.75/5  rDev -24%

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Short's Autumn Ale from Short's Brewing Company