Short's Noble Chaos Oktoberfest - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: jimbotrost on 09-14-2005

Our new fall seasonal which is a Northern Michigan version of a German style Marzen or Oktoberfest, done the Short's Brew way. This beer is well balanced with Noble hop additions which provide a subtle bouquet and pleasant flavor which melds well with the malt profile consisting of 2 row, chocolate, special roast, caramel and Munich malts.  It's a brand new addition to the Short's Brew family of beer.
40 I.B.U.'s
4.09/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a glistening copper color from bottle to pint glass. Leaves a finger of creamy, dense head with great retention. Absolutely no lacing when the head settles to a thick millimeter cap, dense lacing forms on the glass when drinking. This'll be my first Oktoberfest style-ever. Lots and lots of tiny, tiny bubbles excellent carbonation. Aroma is sweet, malty, some milk chocolate/caramel notes. Mouthfeel is creamy, too. So far, if I had to describe each aspect of this marzen in one words, I'd choose smooth. Taste is sweet roasted malt, with a tiny citrus hop bite on the end, dry finish.
Can't wait to try other marzens, I'll have to make it a priority this year. This one has piqued my interest.

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This had a similar malt character of many other Oktoberfests but a different aroma. I liked it because it was different. Wouldn't mind trying it again.

3.59/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - 4/5
A very hazy deep red-orange-brown. About 1 finger of head when initially poured, eventually dissipates down almost entirely. A small amount of carbonation can be seen rising upwards through the beer. Overall, a nice look and a nice color.

Smell - 3.7/5
Smells of burnt/smoky pine hops, some chocolate, perhaps a slight sweet maltiness. The smell is nice, but not really what I'm looking for in an Oktoberfest

Taste - 3.5/5
Hops, citrus, smokiness, some smoky malt sweetness. Mostly a lot of hops and smokiness. Can't really taste the malty sweetness which is supposed to be the main aspect of the Oktoberfest beer. And even so, not sure if I'm a giant fan of the taste anyway.

Mouthfeel - 3.6/5
Medium to full bodied (closer to medium). Carbonation is light to mediium. Beer is smooth and has aspects of both crispness and creaminess.

Overall - 3.5/5
This was an okay Oktoberfest. It was very smoky and hoppy, and not really what I was looking for. Even in general, I don't know if I would really be a fan of this beer. Not terrible, but I don't plan on ever getting again.

4.59/5  rDev +24.4%

Delicious beer! I definitely will drink this again.

3.6/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.4/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

so so marzen at hopcat

3.84/5  rDev +4.1%

1.75/5  rDev -52.6%

3.76/5  rDev +1.9%

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.77/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Bottled 9/9 and poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint on 10/22. $2 single. My first Marzen of 2014.

Appearance: Pretty neat label, with a king standing on a boat on the water. I think Short's ought to make the "Chaos" text white or grey to make it more visible, but that's just me. Anyway, a reasonably aggressive pour barely got the whole beer into my pint. Pillowy three finger beige head. Lots of lacing. The color of the beer is a bit of a hazy orange/red/brown color -- almost like that of an empty beer bottle. Awesome looking Oktoberfest.

Smell: It's probably because I haven't had one from the style for awhile, but it smells a little different to me when compared to other Marzens -- like I think I get a little more hops than most others. I also smell the Munich malt, but also some other sort of malt that reminds me of the variety they use in their Strawberry Short's Cake, which is a "dirty" sort of malt. There's also a faint dark fruit sweetness hanging around in there too.

Taste/feel: Very good, even if it's not quite as smooth and malt loaded as some other Oktoberfests out there. Good ol' munich malt, a slight earthy/grassy hop flavor, and a dry finish with a lingering typical Oktoberfest finish, with a slight hoppiness there with it. The feel is decent as well with a relatively high carbonation and a moderate body.

My favorite thing about Noble Chaos has to be the subtle Noble hop hoppiness. I was worried Short's might over-do it like they excessively hop many other beers, but this one is done well. It's a solid could-be-forgettable Oktoberfest that's made memorable by its hop character.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%