Short's Village Reserve - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Village ReserveShort's Village Reserve

good

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.70% ABV

Fermented as "beer" from wort extracted from fully modified two-row pale malt which provides a beautiful straw color. This beer is aggressively hopped with Perle and Centennial hops. Its light body and low alcohol allow the hops to become more prominent throughout the beer. The floral aroma is attributed to heavy handfuls of centennial hops at the finish of the boil. Hearty handfuls of hops lend a grape fruity tone in the flavor and finish of the beer.
40 I.B.U.'s
10.6 deg.  Plato
4.2% A.B.V.

(Beer added by: jimbotrost on 09-14-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

11-02-2013 05:20:12 | More by Acuity
alelover

10-28-2013 02:23:00 | More by alelover
SportsandJorts

look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Appearance: a nice yellowish orange. some haze. small off white head that fades pretty quickly

Smell: pretty weak. bready, some lemon, and grass

Taste: opens up with bread and lemon. develops into a more powerful citrus that blends with a very grassy taste

Mouthfeel: nice and light. just a touch too bitter

Overall: a great light and complex beer. If the bitterness was just a touch lower I could drink these all day. Great beer, some quite english characteristics

10-26-2013 00:48:02 | More by SportsandJorts
Alextricity

3.71/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Bottle date is all messed up, so I have no idea when this was bottled, but it wasn't sooner than September, I'm pretty sure. Poured into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint.

Appearance: A hazy straw color... others would say it looks like piss. Two finger head falls to one, where it stays for awhile. Nice lacing. Pour semi-aggressively, so you can get it all into your glass perfectly. A really good looking beer.

Smell: Hay. Pale malts. Slightly grassy hops. There's not much to it, but it's certainly of quality. Nothing cheap here.

Taste/feel: Hay is the first flavor, followed by some of those pale malts, and then a surprising bit of hop bitterness. The very first thing I notice though is the mouthfeel -- this actually has a surprising body to it that I wasn't expecting. It drinks a bit heavier than 4.7%, and I like that. Aftertaste is slightly dry with a bit of a lingering bitterness. A slight prick of carbonation spruces things up on the end.

I haven't had too many steam beers, and to be honest, I haven't really liked any of the ones I've tried. This beer seems a bit thicker than other ones I've had, but I enjoy it more than some of them.

10-25-2013 14:42:20 | More by Alextricity
StoutHunter

3.79/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Village Reserve last week for $1.75 at Boyne Country Provisions. I had this beer on draft when I visited Shorts last winter and I thought it was a pretty solid beer and since this is the first time they have released it in bottles I thought I would revisit it, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it showed up recently so it should be fairly fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's not the most eye catching but it's got a nice simple look to it. It poured a nice fairly clear bright yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and left some nice spotty lacing behind. This is a good looking beer that looked very true to style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a good amount of malts with some nice pale malt, cereal, and biscuit like aromas followed by nice citrus rind aroma with lemon zest seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the hops which impart a very earthy and grassy hop aroma. This beer had a pretty nice aroma with some good balance to it.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly lower amount of medium sweetness followed by a good amount of hops up front, first comes some light lemon zest and a nice grapefruit hops flavor followed by those earthy and grassy hops that I got in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart a nice pale malt, cereal, and biscuit like malt flavor along with a heavy Pilsener malt like flavor that reminds me of Short's Pilsener. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers a little with a earthy/grassy hop and biscuit malt aftertaste. This is a pretty nice tasting beer with some nice balance to it.

M- Fairly smooth, crisp, clean, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a higher amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was pretty good and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a good beer and pretty good example of the style, I find most Steam Beers to be a little on the bland side but Short's kept this one interesting with a nice malt profile and little bit of grapefruit hop flavors that worked well with this beer and it made it stick out a little. This beer had good drinkability, it was smooth, crisp, clean, not filling, and the taste did a decent job at holding my attention, I could see myself drinking a few of these when in the mood for a beer like this. What I liked the most about the beer was the balance in the flavor and aroma, I thought they were both pretty nice. What I liked the least about this beer was that it's released in the fall, I feel like this beer would be a great summer or spring release and I think it would be a nice beer to have when it's hot outside. I would buy this beer again, I could see myself keeping some in the fridge for when I'm in the mood for a beer like this and I think it would go good with a meal. I would recommend this to anyone who likes the style or hoppy lager's in general. All in all I was happy with this beer, it was just as good as I remember. I haven't tried much of this style, mainly because there just aren't that many examples of it out there, but so far i would say that this is my favorite. Good job Short's, thanks for offering another solid drinkable beer in bottles.

10-25-2013 03:48:50 | More by StoutHunter