Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Short's The Curl - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The CurlShort's The Curl

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: BigDaddyWil on 05-22-2006

Brewed with 40% more ingredients to bump any ordinary pilsner to an imperial level.  We hop the kettle four times, using a good amount of Amarillo hops to balance the malty sweetness from the pilsen malt and  lots of flaked maze. At 7.5% ABV and 50 Bittering Units, this beer is still very quaffable and packed full of flavor thanks to the help of our house American lager yeast.  This beer was brewed upon the request of every ones favorite beer tender, Jeremy “the curl” VanSice
7.1% ABV
50 I.B.U.’s
4.24/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Hoppy, in your face grassy aroma upfront. This had a light “pilsnery-y” flavor with a muted biscuit note at the end. Drying finish, more grassy hops. Imperial pilsner, indeed.

4.32/5  rDev +11.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle 205 of 1000

Pours a deep yellow/gold/copper blend that is clean as a whistle. A largh carbonated brilliant white head emerges yet fades quickly leaving little lace.

A nice pilsner maltiness leads into the wonderful amarillo hoppy aromas. There are slight hints of lemon rind and citrus as well.

Well I really like this beer. It has a component too it that reminds me of what the terroir of a dry Austrian riesling posseses. As a matter of fact this is the closest I've experienced a beer too tasting like a wine. I read about many people saying this beer or that beer is "wine like" and can never really see the connection. This on the other hand may actually be a Austrian Riesling and Shorts bottled it and called it a beer:)

On with the review. Nice pilsen malt leads a full mouthfeel and dry mid palate that is encoutered with the dry hoppiness of the amarillos that leave a good minute finish for you too digest. Hints of apricot, peach and lemon fill out this complex pilsner. Probably the best Pils I've tried to date. Only wish it were more available.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

Poured on tap into sampler glass at ChurchKey. Pours a hazy light orange color. The head was white with good retention and lacing. Fruit forward nose including the likes of citrus and a bit of white grape. Nose was cereal grains, some butter, and light grass. Medium bodied and slightly sweet with moderate bitterness. Effervescent with spruce, toffee, and a little apricot in the flavor. Light to medium bodied. Decent crisp pils beer.

3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

A- Pours a clear yellow liquid with a thin but creamy looking white head. Simple but fitting for the style.

S- White bread, some light fruit, and some grains. Pretty simple.

T- Sweet white bread, some light fruit, and a bit of grass. Simple and tasty.

M- A nice amount of carbonation followed by some alcohol warmth.

O- A well executed take on the style. Drinks nicely.

3.87/5  rDev +0.3%

750ml bottle purchased by my mother at the brewery and hand-carried all the way out here to Colorado. Thanks mom!

Pours a two-finger dirty white head over a cloudy straw-colored liquid. Clingy head laces as it settles. Smells Saaz and amarillo hops. Pils malt, woody hop character and some wheat.

Tastes quite hoppy bitter with a drying hop finish. Midly grassy, but actually more flat co-humulone. Grapefruity pithy with pils malt beneath. Dried hay and a touch of oktoberfest 'funk'. Brutally dry finish that's flat dry leaving only hop bitter in the aftertaste. As the beer warmed, some fruity arose. I'mnot sure if they were esters or an orange flavor from hops (my guess is the latter). Pomegranate seed and grapefruit rind.

Md thick body with a dextrinous quality. Medium carbonation. I must say, the lacing on this beer was the most incredible I've ever seen (too bad the beer was so cloudy). This beer is reviewed to style, which the BA description says should be much more malty than I found the beer to actually be. Honestly, I found the beer to be too hoppy and dry...but just as I finished thinking about how dry my most recent sip was I was wishing for another sip.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle. Many thanks to gratefulbeerhead for this beer!

A- Pours a pale golden yellow color. One and a half finger white head shows light retention. Light streaks of lace left on the glass.

S- I could pick up on bready pils malts, grain, and high alcohol in the front of the nose right off the bat. The alcohol mixes well with floral hops but lends to a scent that I was not the biggest fan of. The ending showed off some wet grain and lots of alcohol. Hints of tropical fruit linger in the ending as well but are cut off by the alcohol.

T- Floral hops in the front with a nice dose of grain. Middle of the beer shows off a big bready pils malt flavor. There is grassy note to the ending along with more bready malts. Grain and alcohol hit hte enidng of the beer with a trailing floral hop behind it. Plain and simple but to the point and big!

M- Medium heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation was good for the style. Huge amounts of grain and bready malts are left on the palate along with a light sulfer like taste. Aftertaste is lots of warming alcohol, hints of hops, and a boatload of pils malt. Flavors were bold at times but very well balanced. No off flavors when sipping this one. Heavy alcohol drying on the palate with this one!

O- This beer kicked my ass which I told Andrew (betsona) when we were drinking it. The malts were a little over the top at times but nicely done. The style itself was a little messy at times but then again I never realized why a lot of brewers are doing this as a style. Not a typical Short's beer and therefore I don't know how I really feel about it.

3.19/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by a local, but not for long, yokel. Thanks Tom.

Pale yellow with a thin white cap and some minimal streaky lace.

One taster smelled fireworks, which we determined to be sulfur. I pulled the more delicate and distinct scent of day old urine; the type that has sat and slightly funkified beyond it's deliberate freshness. There is a finishing twang of tropical hops...pineapple? Unless you're a fetishist for this type of nasal pummeling, I'm not sure you'd dig what this beer lays on your olfactory glands.

Taste thankfully improves upon the smell. Taste is spicy hops, a touch of sulfur, and grain. The pineapple quality that slightly confounded me from the nose plays here along the back end. There is some redemption here.

The mouthfeel is extremely grainy: as if there is sand mixed into the glass. Makes for chewy and slightly unpleasant overall feel.

Grand result: this beer smells bad and has a poor mouthfeel, but ranks higher in the categories of looks and taste. A mixed bag but once I'd be fine not opening again. Thanks Tom for the opportunity.

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Limited edition bottle. Mine was #221 of 1000. Dated 4.20.06.

Semi cloudy apricot golden color with a medium to large foamy egg white head. Head rises then falls at a slow pace. Lacing is extraordinary and the carbonation holds very well.

Aroma is strong on citrus element which comes undoubtedly from the hops. A candi corn element lies underneath. Slight acidity seems present along with a husky wheat base. A bit of resiny hoppy bitterness seems dominate the aroma the more I smell.

Flavors begin with a husky grain sweetness which isn't quite wheat but somewhat similar. I finally fully read the label, it must be the flaked maze. It seems like there's a good amount of flaked maze in here and it coats the palate. Hops are quite bitter and resiny. First few sips they seem rough but as my palates gets coated by the semi sweet malt character the flavors blend quite nicely. A yeasty element seems a bit acidic and funk derived at first but that too settles to provide more of a pils like smoothness in transition. Finish is quite dry but the bitterness leaves enticing another sip.

Mouthfeel is really light. I thought the flavors were almost too much for the body. The carbonation, though providing a refreshing element and zip to the beer, doesn't give the flavors their full due. The body in all is just a touch to light for my liking.

Drinkability however is outstanding. Upon the first few sips I thought this beer wouldn't be real drinkable. But then it all came together. This midday bottle went down too easily and I honestly want more.

This is the perfect hot/humid but not sunny weather beer. Refreshing and flavorful at the same time. As far as Double Pilsners go I liked the Sam Adams better but this beat out the DFH offering. Pricy but it's worth it if your a true beer geek.

3.3/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a golden yellow. Pretty. A decent amount of white head. Looks very solid. Smells hoppy and lagery. Sme light yeastiness n the nose with amarillo hops creeping through. Tastes like a mess... Bitter hops overpower mediocre lagery yeasts. This one is just too off kilter for me.

4.19/5  rDev +8.5%

This beer is no longer retired. They released sixers of it earlier this year! Which I am reviewing here.
A: Gentle pour yields a light lace of head. Hazy golden yellow liquid. Pilsner with haze and little head? Minus points for being a bit off style
S: Toffee, lavender, coriander, apple esters
T: Gently sweet and floral. Very hop dominant and not boozy. Very nice, maybe an addition of black pepper would make this perfect?
M: Slightly astringent, very dry and bitter in a fir needle manner. Great imperial qualities, plus left the heat out of the equation!
D: Very nice and enjoyable. I'd order another and I'd buy again. But maybe every other year, not every year if this becomes a rotating release.

3.41/5  rDev -11.7%

Shorts Brewing The Curl
12 oz. bottle

A - Pours a straw yellow with 2 inches of fluffy white foam that hung around for awhile leaving good lacing 4
S - i'm picking up some lemon, toffee and what reminds me of a yeast cake. Not overly unpleasant, but there is something a bit off about it. 3
T - Yeasty flavor, grainy breadiness with lemon but then a big hit of perfume like flavor. It has an astringent bitterness that is a little bit off-puting. 3.5
M - Medium bodied and good carbonation. 3.5
D - I feel like one bottle is enough. Its not bad, but there is just something that I find tiring after awhile. 3.5

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Generously received this bottle from aqsprint earlier this week. This will be my first brew from Short's but hopefully I'll be able to try more in the future. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute. Bottled on 4/20/2006.

Bottle 146 of 1000.

Appearance- Pours an orange yellowish with a huge fluffy three finger bright white head that recedes VERY slowly. Champaign like bubbles permeate throughout the glass leaving a HUGE creamy head and tons of sticky lace.
Smell- The Amarillo is outstandingly pungent still even after over two and a half years in the bottle. I can't smell Amarillo without thinking of Gumballhead and this is no different. Clean and citrusy there are hints of freshly zested lemon and even a bit of cut grass. The malt is light but adds a grainy bit of sweetness.
Taste- Wowsa's, still very hoppy! Loads of grapefruit and orange pith this thing is pretty damn bitter. Fruity at times with hints of white grapes and pineapple. Cotton candy and bubblegum make an appearance as well along with just a tinge of sweetness. Semi bready with that sweetness as the flaked maize adds that weird corn flavor that I really enjoy in these type of brews. The beer is fairly acidic though from all the CO2. It kind of reminds me a bit of my homebrews after they sit too long. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and more of that bubblegum.
Mouthfeel- Definitely carbonated. Medium body with a crisp sharp bite and acidic burn. I think the mouthfeel is about the only thing that's suffered in these 2 ½ years.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. Hate to sound like a broken record but I wish that bit of over carbonation wasn't there. It doesn't affect the mouthfeel as much as the taste but overall I guess it's not that bad. It gets better as the bottle empties. Really wish I could try this fresh but I did enjoy tremendously. Big thanks again to Jon!

3.91/5  rDev +1.3%

Bottled 9/17/13 and poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: A cloudy "pure" yellow color. Pure yellow with nothing else there. Half finger or so of head bubbles away pretty quickly leaving a wispy bit of foam on top. Not much lacing.

Smell: As expected, smelling quite sweet. Like sugar and hay, mostly. Almost a fruity characteristic as well. Quite nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: First sip I didn't care for much, but then I realized I had brushed my teeth half an hour earlier. Once that first sip got my teeth re-dirtified, I was ready to go. The taste is much like the smell. This really is just what I had expected coming into this beer. Take an Pilsner with an average ABV (five or so), and add sweetness. Very low bitterness for me. I think this is 50 IBUs, but it's balanced well. Sweet from beginning to end with that hay flavor typical to a good Pilsner, with almost a juiciness from fruit. Mouthfeel is medium with a medium amount of carbonation, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. I'm going to shock some people by saying that I thought there was some corn in the flavor in a way, but I'm not too sure. Whether they use corn or not (I'd THINK not) in this beer, I get that vibe. Regardless, a super enjoyable beer.

I'm really not often a fan of Pilsners because I often find them bland and uninteresting, but I enjoy the body and sweetness of The Curl quite a lot.

4.34/5  rDev +12.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: perfect clarity. orangish straw yellow. a finger or so of whitish head that leaves behind a bit of a lacing

Smell: pilsner malts. some alcohol, and a hint of noble hops

Taste: strong pilsner malts. lager yeast good strong alcohol that is balanced. just a little bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: not overly heavy and damn near perfectly clean

Overall: a very good imperial pilsner. not a strong focus on the hops but strong. I like it

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

a touch dark for a pilsner, but its still a golden straw color with a cloudy pure white head that raises to a few fingers, settles slowly and leaves tons of lacing.

a touch of corn/veggies behind the grassy hops and some light bready aromas. some lemon in there too, but not too strong of an aroma.

again, a bit of corn/cooked veggies followed by a bit of white bread, lemon zest, slight green pepper and a piney hop finish.

pretty heavy feeling for a lager, with not too much carbonation (which is always appreciated) and a drying finish.

overall, good. nothing I'd go out of my way too much for, but its on par for the style. Kind of expected a bit more hop flavor/aroma.

4.48/5  rDev +16.1%

Retired no more. My first round with this badboy was in '06, before I was reviewing. It was my intoduction to the world of Short's. What looked like a limited release 750, it had a neck tag with a signature from Joe Short and a hand written date of 4-20-06 and number 364 of 1,000. I'm glad it's back.

Bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A- This is a truly beautiful beer. A normal pour left a 2-1/2 finger, off-white head that crests the glass. The body is a clean golden color that stays just shy of copper and displays moderate carbonation. It had awesome retention at about 1-finger with plenty of sticky lace left along the side of the glass.

S- Clean and balanced. There's a bready/grainy malt backbone with floral/citrus hops. There's even a little fruity quality (berry-like). The citrus really comes through later. It's just plain "big" on everything.

T- Very nice and true to the aroma. Rich and malty, but balanced by significant hopping (mostly citrus with a little black pepper). No adjunct flavors here. The "flaked maze" and "Imperial" almost make me think malt liquor. Certainly not the case. The further in, the more significant the hopping becomes. If not for the bold malts, the hops could easily put this toward DIPA territory.

M- Clean, clean, clean, but still full-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Solid bite from the generous hopping and significant ABV (nothing off-putting).

O- A wonderful beer. It's a very easy drinker and seems to really fit the style guidelines mentioned on this site. I'm very happy this beer is back. I can see it being a great backyard bbq beer when you want something with a little kick.

4.23/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 ounce bottle poured into a pint glass. This is a clear pale golden color, fizzy with around half an inch of head. Smell is soapy with lots of cereals and light hoppiness. Taste is dominated by a crisp hoppiness, but it is balanced well enough to not be overly bitter. Light white grape flavors are present as well. Delicious with excellent drinkability.

3.9/5  rDev +1%

A-Golden yellwo with white lacing
S-Almost a grassy hops smell here. not much else going on.
T-Bready and grassy. Very crisp and clean.
M-Light body. Goes down very smooth
D-Above average drinkablility

Had this on tap at the HopCat. I wonder what the age has done with it seeing as the last review before mine was over 8 months ago...

3.27/5  rDev -15.3%

A - Slightly clouded yellow/amber body, with almost a chartreuse around the edges. Small whit head settles to a dense ring.

S - Light crisp malts, some vanilla, pungent citrus (smells like simcoe to me).

T - really light on the malt, but sweet. Pungent citrus is here, and is the main show. A bit of bugspray?

M - dry, kind of coarse. Leaves your mouth feeling not that good.

O (D) - I guess this is ok. Some interesting things here. But I won't have it again.

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

On tap at MI brewers guild fest. Cloudy orange/yellow pour with thin bleached white head. Lots of citric rind in the nose with some hops, and just a little bit of candy to follow. FLavours are massive grapefruit and citrus witha good hops bitterness. Dry, lingering bitter finish. Good! I liked this brweies tent!

3.44/5  rDev -10.9%

Capped 750 with no dates purchased at Whole Foods in Ann Arbor and poured into a pilsener. Bottle # 447 with a neck tag explaining the ingredients and story behind the beer. Signed by Proprietor and Jedi Brewmaster, Joe Short.

Tons of foam despite a careful pour. Underneath the gargantuan head of white is a bright gold beer with plenty of carbonation, duh.

Plenty of pils malt and tons of spicyness from the amarillo hops. This is an odd yet very pleasing combo. Simple yet bold yet bold in its own way. I keep sniffing and sniffing...

Lots of pils malt upfront than the hops jump in and dry things out with a little spice. Picture a race car driver shifting gears too fast. Things were going just fine until the hop bomb blew up and wrecked any chance this beert had for balance. A hop head would like this, but I'm not a big fan of this sudden and drastic change of direction. Too much amarillo.

The mouth starts off moderate but turns too dry and bitter for me. I won't be dropping another $16 for this one.

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

A - Pale gold with a thin white head that dissIpates quickly.

S - Corn, grass, yeast, and lemon. Scents are not very strong.

T - Yeast is right up front with some bready malts. Lemon zest comes after that? Slightly bitter finish that lingers on the tongue.

M - Low carbonation with a light body and mouthfeel.

O - Decent pilsner. Well balanced and easy to drink.

3.29/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into a Guinness glass

A- Pours a translucent roasted corn. With an aggressive pour there wasn't as much of a head as I expected, but a medium white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Corn, light malt, aromatic hops, not much bitter, slight alcohol

T- Right away there is a toasty, burnt grass malt taste that I found rather overpowering. Once that fades though you get a nice light cracker malt and light bitter hops. The aftertaste is very white bready with some cheese in there.

M- Seems a bit low on carbonation for what I usually see in other pilsners. Fairly light in body and washes down easily.

O- This was okay, the toasted flavor I didn't care for and made this a pretty off balanced beer. The backend and aftertaste I found quite enjoyable just wish it was the same throughout.

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Pours a deep gold with a smallish white head on the first pour, closer to the end the yeastiness mixes in and gives it a paler color and is nice and cloudy. There is a decent size grassy hop aroma along with some sweet sugariness and a sweet grainy aroma. There is also a nice pepperiness in the finish, at the start of the tasting, although this ended up mellowing towards the end. There is a little lemon and grapefruit that develop further in in both aroma and taste as it warms. A very nice balance between the pepperyness and dryness from the hops with the medium body. I may not pay 15.99 again for this, but it is definitely a tasty imp pils and I am glad to see some shorts stuff in bottles making its way south.

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Piraat tulip. The aggressive pour yielded a solid looking 2 fingers of eggshell foam that hung around for a while before leaving behind trails on the glass walls. The body is a clear dirty lemon color.

Lots of grainy characters dominate the nose. Other odors peek out...bread, corn and a small amount of hops.

Just as the nose advertised, the backbone of this is malts and grain. Sweeter up front with a tiny bitter center before the grains kick back in for the finish.

Medium mouth feel...moderate carbonation with a semi-dry finish.

Admittedly this is not my favorite style, but this one is very easy to appreciate. The complex flavors and easy drinkability make this offering another Short's masterpiece!

Short's The Curl from Short's Brewing Company