Short's The Curl - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The CurlShort's The Curl

pDev: 15%
Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.10% ABV

Brewed with 40% more ingredients to bump any ordinary pilsner to an imperial level.  We hop the kettle four times, using a good amount of Amarillo hops to balance the malty sweetness from the pilsen malt and  lots of flaked maze. At 7.5% ABV and 50 Bittering Units, this beer is still very quaffable and packed full of flavor thanks to the help of our house American lager yeast.  This beer was brewed upon the request of every ones favorite beer tender, Jeremy “the curl” VanSice
7.1% ABV
50 I.B.U.’s

(Beer added by: BigDaddyWil on 05-22-2006)
4.35/5  rDev +14.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: perfect clarity. orangish straw yellow. a finger or so of whitish head that leaves behind a bit of a lacing

Smell: pilsner malts. some alcohol, and a hint of noble hops

Taste: strong pilsner malts. lager yeast good strong alcohol that is balanced. just a little bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: not overly heavy and damn near perfectly clean

Overall: a very good imperial pilsner. not a strong focus on the hops but strong. I like it

SportsandJorts, Nov 07, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled 9/17/13 and poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: A cloudy "pure" yellow color. Pure yellow with nothing else there. Half finger or so of head bubbles away pretty quickly leaving a wispy bit of foam on top. Not much lacing.

Smell: As expected, smelling quite sweet. Like sugar and hay, mostly. Almost a fruity characteristic as well. Quite nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: First sip I didn't care for much, but then I realized I had brushed my teeth half an hour earlier. Once that first sip got my teeth re-dirtified, I was ready to go. The taste is much like the smell. This really is just what I had expected coming into this beer. Take an Pilsner with an average ABV (five or so), and add sweetness. Very low bitterness for me. I think this is 50 IBUs, but it's balanced well. Sweet from beginning to end with that hay flavor typical to a good Pilsner, with almost a juiciness from fruit. Mouthfeel is medium with a medium amount of carbonation, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. I'm going to shock some people by saying that I thought there was some corn in the flavor in a way, but I'm not too sure. Whether they use corn or not (I'd THINK not) in this beer, I get that vibe. Regardless, a super enjoyable beer.

I'm really not often a fan of Pilsners because I often find them bland and uninteresting, but I enjoy the body and sweetness of The Curl quite a lot.

Alextricity, Nov 03, 2013

SpongeRuiner, Oct 09, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +11.8%

atone315, Oct 09, 2013
3.29/5  rDev -13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 12oz bottle into a Guinness glass

A- Pours a translucent roasted corn. With an aggressive pour there wasn't as much of a head as I expected, but a medium white head that dissipated rather quickly.

S- Corn, light malt, aromatic hops, not much bitter, slight alcohol

T- Right away there is a toasty, burnt grass malt taste that I found rather overpowering. Once that fades though you get a nice light cracker malt and light bitter hops. The aftertaste is very white bready with some cheese in there.

M- Seems a bit low on carbonation for what I usually see in other pilsners. Fairly light in body and washes down easily.

O- This was okay, the toasted flavor I didn't care for and made this a pretty off balanced beer. The backend and aftertaste I found quite enjoyable just wish it was the same throughout.

PaulyB83, Oct 07, 2013