Short's The Curl - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The CurlShort's The Curl

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.10% ABV

Beer added by: BigDaddyWil on 05-22-2006

Brewed with 40% more ingredients to bump any ordinary pilsner to an imperial level.  We hop the kettle four times, using a good amount of Amarillo hops to balance the malty sweetness from the pilsen malt and  lots of flaked maze. At 7.5% ABV and 50 Bittering Units, this beer is still very quaffable and packed full of flavor thanks to the help of our house American lager yeast.  This beer was brewed upon the request of every ones favorite beer tender, Jeremy “the curl” VanSice
7.1% ABV
50 I.B.U.’s

3.98/5  rDev +4.5%

Very thickly clouded, the curl is a dense-looking yellow-gold, translucent on the one hand because of the murkiness and the other due to the paler color. The head , clean white, reaches one finger, and it's tight. It shows a rocky density and good retention, and it leaves lace starting thickly from the very top down.
The smell showcases pilsner malts with familiar earthy, grassy, dusty, herbal and sulfuric notes. It has a sort of raw dankness to it.
Whoa...the dankness in the aroma makes up the main aspect of the flavor. My tongue definitely registers a certain very dank weed found in nature that itself has a kind of sulfuric note. Earth, grass and bitter herb come in, the herb bringing a dryness and bitterness into the finish, as well as a woody sort of pith.
The body might slip into the medium range but doesn't get too heavy. Dryness cuts in partway through to finish it out. Crispness is firm and stays all the way through. The only issue is that it could be a little cleaner at the end of the sip.

4.5/5  rDev +18.1%

4.25/5  rDev +11.5%

4.34/5  rDev +13.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: perfect clarity. orangish straw yellow. a finger or so of whitish head that leaves behind a bit of a lacing

Smell: pilsner malts. some alcohol, and a hint of noble hops

Taste: strong pilsner malts. lager yeast good strong alcohol that is balanced. just a little bit of hops.

Mouthfeel: not overly heavy and damn near perfectly clean

Overall: a very good imperial pilsner. not a strong focus on the hops but strong. I like it

3.91/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled 9/17/13 and poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: A cloudy "pure" yellow color. Pure yellow with nothing else there. Half finger or so of head bubbles away pretty quickly leaving a wispy bit of foam on top. Not much lacing.

Smell: As expected, smelling quite sweet. Like sugar and hay, mostly. Almost a fruity characteristic as well. Quite nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: First sip I didn't care for much, but then I realized I had brushed my teeth half an hour earlier. Once that first sip got my teeth re-dirtified, I was ready to go. The taste is much like the smell. This really is just what I had expected coming into this beer. Take an Pilsner with an average ABV (five or so), and add sweetness. Very low bitterness for me. I think this is 50 IBUs, but it's balanced well. Sweet from beginning to end with that hay flavor typical to a good Pilsner, with almost a juiciness from fruit. Mouthfeel is medium with a medium amount of carbonation, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. I'm going to shock some people by saying that I thought there was some corn in the flavor in a way, but I'm not too sure. Whether they use corn or not (I'd THINK not) in this beer, I get that vibe. Regardless, a super enjoyable beer.

I'm really not often a fan of Pilsners because I often find them bland and uninteresting, but I enjoy the body and sweetness of The Curl quite a lot.

3.5/5  rDev -8.1%