Short's The Curl - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The CurlShort's The Curl

pDev: 15%
Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Double / Imperial Pilsner |  7.10% ABV

Brewed with 40% more ingredients to bump any ordinary pilsner to an imperial level.  We hop the kettle four times, using a good amount of Amarillo hops to balance the malty sweetness from the pilsen malt and  lots of flaked maze. At 7.5% ABV and 50 Bittering Units, this beer is still very quaffable and packed full of flavor thanks to the help of our house American lager yeast.  This beer was brewed upon the request of every ones favorite beer tender, Jeremy “the curl” VanSice
7.1% ABV
50 I.B.U.’s

(Beer added by: BigDaddyWil on 05-22-2006)

Kerrie, Oct 04, 2013

MacStinson, Nov 17, 2011

szmnnl99, Jun 01, 2012

klipper, May 13, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

Pours a golden yellow. Pretty. A decent amount of white head. Looks very solid. Smells hoppy and lagery. Sme light yeastiness n the nose with amarillo hops creeping through. Tastes like a mess... Bitter hops overpower mediocre lagery yeasts. This one is just too off kilter for me.

Urbancaver, Jul 20, 2011

shehateme, Oct 25, 2013

Jas45678, Jun 01, 2013

gratefulbeerhead, Jul 30, 2013
3.43/5  rDev -9.7%

Shorts Brewing The Curl
12 oz. bottle

A - Pours a straw yellow with 2 inches of fluffy white foam that hung around for awhile leaving good lacing 4
S - i'm picking up some lemon, toffee and what reminds me of a yeast cake. Not overly unpleasant, but there is something a bit off about it. 3
T - Yeasty flavor, grainy breadiness with lemon but then a big hit of perfume like flavor. It has an astringent bitterness that is a little bit off-puting. 3.5
M - Medium bodied and good carbonation. 3.5
D - I feel like one bottle is enough. Its not bad, but there is just something that I find tiring after awhile. 3.5

mikereaser, Jun 16, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -14.5%

FrankHammer, Nov 21, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle shared by a local, but not for long, yokel. Thanks Tom.

Pale yellow with a thin white cap and some minimal streaky lace.

One taster smelled fireworks, which we determined to be sulfur. I pulled the more delicate and distinct scent of day old urine; the type that has sat and slightly funkified beyond it's deliberate freshness. There is a finishing twang of tropical hops...pineapple? Unless you're a fetishist for this type of nasal pummeling, I'm not sure you'd dig what this beer lays on your olfactory glands.

Taste thankfully improves upon the smell. Taste is spicy hops, a touch of sulfur, and grain. The pineapple quality that slightly confounded me from the nose plays here along the back end. There is some redemption here.

The mouthfeel is extremely grainy: as if there is sand mixed into the glass. Makes for chewy and slightly unpleasant overall feel.

Grand result: this beer smells bad and has a poor mouthfeel, but ranks higher in the categories of looks and taste. A mixed bag but once I'd be fine not opening again. Thanks Tom for the opportunity.

BarrytheBear, Jun 04, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Generously received this bottle from aqsprint earlier this week. This will be my first brew from Short's but hopefully I'll be able to try more in the future. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute. Bottled on 4/20/2006.

Bottle 146 of 1000.

Appearance- Pours an orange yellowish with a huge fluffy three finger bright white head that recedes VERY slowly. Champaign like bubbles permeate throughout the glass leaving a HUGE creamy head and tons of sticky lace.
Smell- The Amarillo is outstandingly pungent still even after over two and a half years in the bottle. I can't smell Amarillo without thinking of Gumballhead and this is no different. Clean and citrusy there are hints of freshly zested lemon and even a bit of cut grass. The malt is light but adds a grainy bit of sweetness.
Taste- Wowsa's, still very hoppy! Loads of grapefruit and orange pith this thing is pretty damn bitter. Fruity at times with hints of white grapes and pineapple. Cotton candy and bubblegum make an appearance as well along with just a tinge of sweetness. Semi bready with that sweetness as the flaked maize adds that weird corn flavor that I really enjoy in these type of brews. The beer is fairly acidic though from all the CO2. It kind of reminds me a bit of my homebrews after they sit too long. Finishes with a lingering bitterness and more of that bubblegum.
Mouthfeel- Definitely carbonated. Medium body with a crisp sharp bite and acidic burn. I think the mouthfeel is about the only thing that's suffered in these 2 ½ years.
Drinkability- Overall this is a pretty tasty brew. Hate to sound like a broken record but I wish that bit of over carbonation wasn't there. It doesn't affect the mouthfeel as much as the taste but overall I guess it's not that bad. It gets better as the bottle empties. Really wish I could try this fresh but I did enjoy tremendously. Big thanks again to Jon!

younger35, Oct 22, 2008
4.18/5  rDev +10%

This beer is no longer retired. They released sixers of it earlier this year! Which I am reviewing here.
A: Gentle pour yields a light lace of head. Hazy golden yellow liquid. Pilsner with haze and little head? Minus points for being a bit off style
S: Toffee, lavender, coriander, apple esters
T: Gently sweet and floral. Very hop dominant and not boozy. Very nice, maybe an addition of black pepper would make this perfect?
M: Slightly astringent, very dry and bitter in a fir needle manner. Great imperial qualities, plus left the heat out of the equation!
D: Very nice and enjoyable. I'd order another and I'd buy again. But maybe every other year, not every year if this becomes a rotating release.

dfillius, Jun 05, 2011

cestlavie, Jun 25, 2012
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

a touch dark for a pilsner, but its still a golden straw color with a cloudy pure white head that raises to a few fingers, settles slowly and leaves tons of lacing.

a touch of corn/veggies behind the grassy hops and some light bready aromas. some lemon in there too, but not too strong of an aroma.

again, a bit of corn/cooked veggies followed by a bit of white bread, lemon zest, slight green pepper and a piney hop finish.

pretty heavy feeling for a lager, with not too much carbonation (which is always appreciated) and a drying finish.

overall, good. nothing I'd go out of my way too much for, but its on par for the style. Kind of expected a bit more hop flavor/aroma.

silentjay, Apr 26, 2011

zoso1967, Dec 05, 2011

BlissJunkie, Jan 11, 2013

tdmccarthy, Jan 10, 2014

pjkelley82, Jan 06, 2014

Drk93TT, Sep 08, 2012

lunarbrew, Oct 22, 2013
3.9/5  rDev +2.6%

A-Golden yellwo with white lacing
S-Almost a grassy hops smell here. not much else going on.
T-Bready and grassy. Very crisp and clean.
M-Light body. Goes down very smooth
D-Above average drinkablility

Had this on tap at the HopCat. I wonder what the age has done with it seeing as the last review before mine was over 8 months ago...

brew3crew, Feb 05, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +3.4%

Bottled 9/17/13 and poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance: A cloudy "pure" yellow color. Pure yellow with nothing else there. Half finger or so of head bubbles away pretty quickly leaving a wispy bit of foam on top. Not much lacing.

Smell: As expected, smelling quite sweet. Like sugar and hay, mostly. Almost a fruity characteristic as well. Quite nice on the nose.

Taste/feel: First sip I didn't care for much, but then I realized I had brushed my teeth half an hour earlier. Once that first sip got my teeth re-dirtified, I was ready to go. The taste is much like the smell. This really is just what I had expected coming into this beer. Take an Pilsner with an average ABV (five or so), and add sweetness. Very low bitterness for me. I think this is 50 IBUs, but it's balanced well. Sweet from beginning to end with that hay flavor typical to a good Pilsner, with almost a juiciness from fruit. Mouthfeel is medium with a medium amount of carbonation, making this pretty dangerously drinkable. I'm going to shock some people by saying that I thought there was some corn in the flavor in a way, but I'm not too sure. Whether they use corn or not (I'd THINK not) in this beer, I get that vibe. Regardless, a super enjoyable beer.

I'm really not often a fan of Pilsners because I often find them bland and uninteresting, but I enjoy the body and sweetness of The Curl quite a lot.

Alextricity, Nov 03, 2013
4.47/5  rDev +17.6%

Retired no more. My first round with this badboy was in '06, before I was reviewing. It was my intoduction to the world of Short's. What looked like a limited release 750, it had a neck tag with a signature from Joe Short and a hand written date of 4-20-06 and number 364 of 1,000. I'm glad it's back.

Bottle poured into a pilsener glass.

A- This is a truly beautiful beer. A normal pour left a 2-1/2 finger, off-white head that crests the glass. The body is a clean golden color that stays just shy of copper and displays moderate carbonation. It had awesome retention at about 1-finger with plenty of sticky lace left along the side of the glass.

S- Clean and balanced. There's a bready/grainy malt backbone with floral/citrus hops. There's even a little fruity quality (berry-like). The citrus really comes through later. It's just plain "big" on everything.

T- Very nice and true to the aroma. Rich and malty, but balanced by significant hopping (mostly citrus with a little black pepper). No adjunct flavors here. The "flaked maze" and "Imperial" almost make me think malt liquor. Certainly not the case. The further in, the more significant the hopping becomes. If not for the bold malts, the hops could easily put this toward DIPA territory.

M- Clean, clean, clean, but still full-bodied. Moderate carbonation. Solid bite from the generous hopping and significant ABV (nothing off-putting).

O- A wonderful beer. It's a very easy drinker and seems to really fit the style guidelines mentioned on this site. I'm very happy this beer is back. I can see it being a great backyard bbq beer when you want something with a little kick.

GRPunk, Apr 24, 2011
3.23/5  rDev -15%

A - Slightly clouded yellow/amber body, with almost a chartreuse around the edges. Small whit head settles to a dense ring.

S - Light crisp malts, some vanilla, pungent citrus (smells like simcoe to me).

T - really light on the malt, but sweet. Pungent citrus is here, and is the main show. A bit of bugspray?

M - dry, kind of coarse. Leaves your mouth feeling not that good.

O (D) - I guess this is ok. Some interesting things here. But I won't have it again.

ColdPoncho, Jul 20, 2011