Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme StoutShort's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2006

"A brew uniquely different from most coffee stouts, we cram Higher Grounds roasted fair trade espresso beans into every facet of the brewing process. Prominent aromatics of malt, espresso, and cocoa are abundant and create a flavor robust with big malt characters fused with cream and coffee. The perfect morning night capper."
20 I.B.U.’s

A heartfelt thanks to hoppymeal for sending me a growler in a trade.

This is a wonderful beer. It comes in a typical half-gallon jug type growler with a big circular label with the brewery’s information. The specific beer is written on the cap.

Appearance: Pours with a thick, dark, frothy head into my Stone 10th Anniversary pint glass. The thick head sticks around the edge as I drink the entire glass. There is a slight lacing present. The beer itself is a very dark, opaque brown.

Smell: Wonderful! Roasted chocolate and roasted coffee fills my nose. The coffee is somewhere between a dark and medium roast.

Taste: Roasted, toasted chocolate and coffee dominate with a fair dose of welcomed sweetness. The coffee and chocolate blend nicely. Very mild hops are barely detectable. They provide a bit more complexity of flavor and they dissipate quickly.

Mouthfeel: A wonderful silky, creamy mouthfeel, almost chewy. Reminiscent of a glass of Silk soymilk. The carbonation is a bit higher than most double stouts but perfect here. The finish is crisp and clean. Smoother than I expect for this style probably due to the carbonation level. It works quite well.

Drinkability: I could drink a growler of this beer each week. Though it is very rich, like a dense chocolate cake that you want to keep eating.

Breakfast stouts are a new style for me and I love them. This beer is up there with my favorites: Founders Breakfast, Kentucky Breakfast and Terrapin Wake-N-Bake. If you like coffee stouts this is a must have beer. (1,541 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +23.4%

This has been revised at the bottom.

poured into a glass

pours a dark black. Super head the biggest head i have ever seen on a beer overflowing couldnt even pour it all in the glass at once. golden brown foam overflowing all over my counter top.

smells like burnt black coffee.

alls i have to say it that i dont like black coffee so alls i wanted to do the whole time i was drinking this was put some creamer in it.

mouth feel was medium.

i would not drink this beer again im just not that big of a fan of black black black coffee it is different but i expected allot more out of it way too over the top.

12/7/11
Well thats how i felt about this beer about two years ago.

Now i have to say what a fantastic beer. This years is amazing and im sure that my taste have changed.

Pours Black, Nice thick brown head.

Smells like coffee and sweet creamer

Lots of coffee flavor with a nice sweet finish thats just right.

Perfect mouth feel

Please sir may I have some more. (978 characters)

4.94/5  rDev +23.2%

Received a growler of this delectable treat from northernbrews. Coffee beers are by FAR my favorite so I really hope this lives up to what I have pictured in my head. Drank from my clear Surly Coffee mug.

Appearance- Pours a onyx black with a feint ring of extremely dark brown around the edges where the light somewhat penetrates. A very slow forming head appears after a few seconds but it's very small and very thin. Dissipates quickly leaving no cap and thin collar that is to small to leave any lacing.
Smell- Tons of cold pressed French roast coffee that is earthy and fresh. Some cream and sugar are present in the coffee smell along with a bit of dark chocolate (but very little compared to the shear coffee dominance here). Very roasted malts and maybe even hints of caramel come through.
Taste- Wowsa's, now that's what a coffee beer is supposed to taste like! Tons and tons of French roasted coffee that is very lightly sweet and o' so creamy. Quite a bit of roasted goodness is prevalent as well. Charcoal and bitter baker's chocolate from all those roasted malts comes out in full force. Not necessarily burnt, but they use definitely use a liberal amount of the black grain in this puppy. Very lightly sweet toward the finish but the first sip is pretty bitter from all the acidic grain. Finishes with a big dose of coffee and a very light alcoholic sting.
Mouthfeel- Medium to full body with a very creamy feel and nice light carbonation.
Drinkability- Amazing. If it wasn't for the appearance, I'd easily give this brew a perfect score. I don't think a Coffee Beer/Imperial Stout can improve on this anymore and that's saying something; until 20 min ago, I though Coffee Bender was the greatest brew on earth. Perfect balance of coffee and roasted/chocolate malt. I may be a Short's fan because of their creativity and willingness to try new things but I haven't been blown away by them. Until now. Great beer that I really enjoyed and appreciate the opportunity to try. Thanks Jeff!! (2,001 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance: Pours out an odyssey of darkness from the growler, almost pitch black; a big dark tan head forms atop and retains fairly well, particularly given the transit to NC from MI

Smell: Strong, roasty double espresso aroma with a hint of sugar and cream

Taste: Opens with a rich, roasty black coffee character that is followed by the mellowing sugar and cream tones; by mid-palate, the fruity bitter elements arrive; after the swallow some smoke factors into the flavor profile as well

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body; moderate carbonation, but somewhat creamy

Drinkability: Clearly one of the top coffee beers out there; a shame it doesn't make it into the bottle

Thanks, hoppymeal, for the unexpected treat (717 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Thanks to eyebrews for the hook up! Enjoyed Xmas morning before presents!

Dark black pour with a nice tan head that dissipates into a thin rim over the course of a few minutes.

Oh, man is this a coffee bomb! So rich! Lots of chocolate and malty goodness in the nose. Delicious, delicious roast... espresso!

Plenty of roasty coffee upfront with a nice creamy finish. This is an amazing coffee stout! Nice and thick. There's a great balance of sweet and bitter and an overwhelming feeling of wanting to pound this down rather than enjoying the master craft that went into this. Short's continues to kill every beer they make! (626 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +21.9%

Growler share thanks to WeeHeavySD!

A: Pours a very dark flat black hue with a nice tall mocha colored head. Pretty good retention with some nice lace going on.

S: Wow what an aroma, I love me some coffee stout and this one smell like... well.... coffee. Fresh roasted coffee, with hints of chocolate fudge.

T: Wondeful coffee flavors right from the start. This one is more fresh bold roasted coffee than espresso, but the balance is so nice. Nice creamy chocolate seems to blend in only to be overtaken by more toasty roasty fresh coffee. This is a very well crafted brew and EXTRA tasty as hell.

M: Medium in body, smooth, very velvet like. You would almost think this one has some oatmeal in it. Does it?

D: Wish I had the growler all to myself. It is one that once I started I could continue until it is all gone. Top two or three coffee stout made. Period! (866 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +20.4%

Simply stated this is what all coffee beers aspire to be. This is the end all be all to coffee beers. Served chilled and poured into a pint glass, this one was consumed on 1/22/2010.

The pour is beautiful and elegant, perfect. Dark as night with a huge black body and a color that is inpervious to light. A huge two inch head of tan then rises up from the bottom of the glass to reach a height of nearly three inches before settling down to a one inch head that stays on top throughout the rest of the session. Aroma is sweet, rich coffee and milk, tons of sweet sugary notes, it really is as the bottle states, exactly what I make for myself in the morning. Sweet light roasted coffee and creme, mixed with subtle sugar flavors. There is not other beer that nails the coffee flavor better then this. It is simply sublime. Rich body, smooth and subtle carbonation and a slightly dry and bitter finish. There is hardly a beer out there I would rather have at any point then this. (979 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Well I was quiet scared to open this growler. I got it filled back at the beginning of July when I visited Short's with my wife, yes July. Long story short, it was forgotten about and once I realized it was still around I was afraid to be disappointed that I ruined a whole growler of this awesome brew.

So when I finally decided to crack my German flip-top growler open today (December 6th), I could hardly believe my ears when it happily hissed.

A - Dark as night with a fairly frothy one-finger worth of tan head.

S - Roasted coffee with some malts coming through as well. There is a small amount of sweetness that comes through as well.

T - A bitter coffee taste up front which is quickly followed by some sweetness. At the end the bitterness comes back with a hint of smoke too. It is definitely a great taste but there is a lot more going on in there besides just the coffee.

M - Mouthfeel fits the style - medium bordering on full. It is smooth and creamy at times but also drying at times.

D - Again another beer that makes me want to relocate to Bellaire. Since I love coffee beers I could really drink this one all day or night. (1,145 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

I could taste both the coffee and the cream as two distinct components. This stout has a great creamy complexion without the use of nitro. You can smell the coffee; they must have used some really good beans. Overall, this is a really great beer and my favorite coffee stout ever. (280 characters)

On tap December 21st @ Crunchy's in East Lansing
25oz mug, opaque jet black/brown with a creamy mocha head, before smelling or tasting I could already tell I was in for a treat based on looks alone.

smells of wonderful finely ground fresh french pressed coffee; most coffee beers seem to be lackluster in comparison, makes me wonder if the guys at short's are coffee aficionados :D raisins, plums, sweet roasty malt, creamy.. lactose?

taste is of coffee right off the bat following up with chocolate malt, smooth sweet creaminess, light complimenting hops pair well with the bitter coffee, raisins, mmm

mouthfeel is creamy, smooth and highly drinkable - very balanced and the flavors really shine, excellent carbonation, i could keep swooning.

Hopefully this finds it's way to bottles, the sooner the better :D (814 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +19.7%

Impenetrable black body. Not even the faintest flicker of light gleams through. Two finger java stained head is full and creamy. Retention is very decent leaving a nice sheet of lacing.

Rich dark roasted coffee cements itself as the dominate characteristic of this brew. Coffee aroma is almost completely over powering everything less. Very slight char and lactic sweetness are picked up. Maybe it is just my love of the bean but this smells good.

Milky sweetness and big coffee flavors converge as the nectar flows from the glass. Rich deep roasted coffee and dark chocolate flavors cover the low end. Creamy vanilla flavor balances out the more dark and rich attributes. Though the coffee flavor is strong it does not cross the line of being overly bitter, the light bitterness noted is rather pleasant. Mesh together your favorite cream stout with your favorite coffee stout and you very well may end up with Cup a Joe.

Medium to just south of full bodied brew. Wonderfully creamy texture. Very smooth luxurious mouthfeel.

The problem with this one is not drinking but more stopping. Drankability in phenomenal. Near perfect balance across the board, superb beer. (1,171 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Finally obtained a six pack from the local store here in SE MI After many phone calls and pestering. Actually came in and bought it about 30mins after it was unloaded off the truck... ( bottles were STILL COLD !! )

I can only dream of how epic this tastes on draft... guess we need to start planning a winter vacation to Bellaire in addition to the summer one !

A: Pours pitch black with a creamy- brown head. Leaves wet lacing throughout, and a tan sugar like brown ring around the glass as it drops down to the oh so sad zone of when its all gone and empty

S: Coffee forward smell (yes). Smells like my kitchen after we use the Delonghi Semi-automatic espresso maker (w/ lavazza espresso beans from italy) to whip up some vanilla-latte's.

T: 25% of the brew tastes like coffee/espresso roast. This is a great thing. There are many other similar "coffee-stouts" That ive tried that just blow your head off with java. Awesomely, this **Cup A Joe** does not do such a thing. 50% Milk sugar and cream balance nicely with the espresso flavor in a way no other Coffee stout can. and the other 25% id say goes to a a decadent/velvety roasted chocolate explosion that dances on the palate. OH YEAH! Not Kool-aid oh yeah.. but good brew OH YEAH!

M: Rich and creamy. Medium bodied with hints of coffee and sweet milk throughout. Taste doesnt stick around long and give you any sort of lasting coffee-breath. Very happy that the coffee doesnt dominate the mouthfeel. This is the holy grail of coffee stout mouthfeel to me..

O: A must try. If I find this on draft I just might sleep on the floor of the establishment thats serving it..? Maybe not. But it is excellent. And I feel like this beer could be sessioned.. maybe paired with a good book or something of that nature. (1,771 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +19.2%

Re-review, bomb-ass extra from kzoobrew. Thanks! Can't get enough shorts beers.

A- Pours almost with faint signs of carbonation. mild lacing.

S- Deep french roast coffee. Fantastic nose. Smells like fresh-brewed coffee.

T- Again, coffee. Dark roast, dash of cream, no sugar. Fantastic. Simple description, but it's a simple, focused beer. No overpowering or out of place flavors.

M- Great body- the intense coffee is balanced by the 'cream'- which neutralizes any acrid or acidic coffee notes. Possibly the best coffee stout I've tasted.

D- Insanely high. Give me more. If you get an infected one, double down and roll the dice again. This beer is great. A million thanks to kzoobrew for the chance to taste this beer as intended.

___

Original Review: 1.7 F- infected

12oz into tulip.

A- Big 'pssssh' when I took the cap off (not a good sign), pour is over-the-top 5 fingers of a sandy tan on a deep brown base. Super carbonated.

S- Bitter coffee, dark fruit.

T- Infected. Sour, tart, and tangy. Astringent. Starts off nice for a 1/4 of a second with some bitter roast but just goes tart immediately after. This is undrinkable. Unlike some other reviews that mention a sour component in with the coffee flavors, I found my tongue washed out with a tsunami of infection. I literally can't taste anything but.

M- Gross. Nasty infection. Super carbed, thin, acrid.

D- Did not finish, which is rare. I had maybe 4 sips and had to put it down. Would love to try a non-infected bottle, I hear these things happen w/ Shorts. I'll re-review if needed. (1,562 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +19%

Thanks to gnemesis for filling my mailbox with shorts beers this evening. This was my first taste from the box.

a-Poured a deep thick mud black with a thin cream colored head. Thick and stunning.

s-Yowza!!! Subtly spiced cream coffee stout. Best, most balanced, creamy delicious smelling coffee stout I've ever whaffed.

t-Taste matches the nose in that it is AMAZING! Wonderfully balanced creamy coffee malty mix. Almost a bready feel to it and it paired phenomenally well with lasagna dinner (especially the garlic bread).

m/d-Great beer. Medium to light bodied and kind of watery without being bad. A touch bitter and bready but a really easy drinker. Light and fluffy for a normally dark and thick style. Would love to have this one again anytime. (754 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

the head was thicker than a usual stout, but quickly dissipated to a thin ring. nice aroma, with a clear roasted coffee smell and some burnt caramel undertones. great explosion of coffee taste, with a little dark chocolate there, too. very smooth, with a hint of chewiness in the background. simply outstanding! (311 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Received in a trade from erikkoppin. Thanks again buddy!

A: Pours a meringuey mocha head cappuccino-like. makes me think of a good cup of joe for some reason

S: "The best part of wakin' up.... Is shorts in my cup!" I picture myself in a coffee commercial just getting up and smelling this

T: It crazy how my mouth fills with flavor. There is a roasted hotness... not like the alcohol hot... its a good thing. tastes like a cup of joe with 1 creamer in it. perfect balance between bitter coffee and creamy sweet

M & D: I drank this just like a cup of coffee. it left my mouth a little dry urging me to drink more of it to quench my thirst. Im not even a coffee fan in "real" life but im thinking of heating this up in the morning and drinking it instead (756 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +18.5%

Wow, a very special treat for #300.

Pours dark, about as close to black as you can get. A medium tan head caps it off, tight, thick bubbles, falling to a ring around the glass. Now the nose on this bad boy is killer...I think it knocks Valdez off the top of the list even though they're both superb. Not so up front on the roast coffee but it's for damn sure there. A good dose of cream and sugar come in to balance the chance of pure roast coffee right away. I can smell a little green hop bitterness under there too but just as this comes up I also notice excellent rich chocolate. Taste is surprising. The roast coffee comes through full-force upon first sip. A good bittersweet combination of flavors follows soon after. The hops are present and show up after the initial roast flavor but quickly give in to the creamy, sweet goodness that this beer brings to the table. In the end, it's a perfect marriage of roast and sweet with a touch of hops helping the two make precious love in my mouth...you know how that usually ends. Mouthfeel is big, creamy, and like velvet. A hint of bitterness is present but it's pleasing. I can't drink this like Valdez but I enjoy it about as much. Coffee Stouts, they're a weakness of mine. This and Valdez are standing at the top...

Thank you, Derek. This stuff is great! (1,313 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%

Growler courtesy of a very generous trader, thanks man!

The beer pours a very dark, motor oil black color with a 1/2 inch brown head. The aroma is of strong coffee and roasted malts. There is a lot of cream in the first sip with coffee following quickly. My only complaint with this beer is that it is a little thin. Regardless, this beer is one of my new favorite coffee stouts! (380 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +18.2%

Review #150. YAY - go team beer!!

Pours midnight black - Darth Vader black - Frank Black - this is a dark beer. Small ring of foam shows me where to aim when I take a sip. Thanks for that - it can't hurt after a long day.

Smell is out of this world. Free Trade coffee. I can smell the freedom. Easily, hands down, the best coffee scent ever from a beer. Peruvian AM and Papago Elise's come close, but this is just in a league of its own. Stellar. Like Elane Benes kind of Stella...

Taste is off the Goldie Lookin Chain. Coffee masks the hops, but they're there, you just can't see the green through all that Black Country Alphabet Song. Coffee, really good coffee, did I leave the burner on? Splash of creme. Nice depth of flavor.

Mouthfeel is a tad bit light, but that's OK - still pleasant, if anything, more like when I try to make coffee at work and everyone stops by my cube to say "thanks for making coffee" but I know they really mean "I was up all night with the new baby and if it was legal I'd throw you out the fucking window".

Drinkability is wonderful. Can't you tell from my ramblings? This is waay too easy to indulge in.

According to my wonderful fiancee, after reading this, Beer Advocate should sell a tube that you connect to your computer that you need to blow into before you can post a review. With a bit of hesitation, I agree. But you should need to blow a .1 at the very least.

Thanks to all who have traded, bought, and shared wonderful beer with me so far. Here's to the next one fidy. (1,519 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

a - pours pitch black with a half-inch cappuccino colored head, decent retention with nice lacing

s - deeply roasted cold-brewed coffee with a healthy dose of creme and sugar, roasty malt, dark chocolate

t - big burst of very good dark roasted coffee up front, the bitterness from the coffee is very tame, nice mix of creme and sugary sweetness balances out the coffee, lingering creaminess and mild roasty coffee bitterness mixed with dark chocolate and vanilla on the finish, not much alcohol to be found

m - medium-to-full bodied, slightly lower carbonation, mildly dry and bitter on the finish, but much more balanced on the palate than many other coffee stouts

d - quite drinkable for a coffee stout, incredibly interesting and complex flavor

Definitely rivals Speedway Stout and KBS for my favorite coffee stout overall. Here's to hoping Short's bottles this again. (877 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A fantastic beer from Shorts. Had on-tap at Hopcat in Grand Rapids. It's deep opaque black, with no light making it through this sucker. Small mocha brown head fades away. On the first smell it's intense roasted coffee grounds and malts, with french vanilla cream. The taste is strong roasty malts, intense coffee, and sweet rich vanilla beans and cream. Lingering coffee with chocolate notes. Very complex and wonderful. Mouthfeel is full and rich, almost creamy yet still carbonated. Drinkability is good. Excellent job on this one! (534 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +17%

One of those days. I stop at work to pick up some personal belongings and get roped into cleaning for three hours. The sun is out, and I'm trudging in the walk in cooler with a broom and a bottle of bleach. It's all ok though; a trade is showing up today, a lady will be joining me for dinner, and that bottle of cup 'o joe is waiting.

I get home, dice up some chicken for tonight's fried rice and egg rolls. The bottle keeps calling, but fuck, it's only 2pm. I clean a bit and finally crack. It's 2:30, a time for a coffee brew if I ever heard of one.

It pours a thick deep black with a sexy mocha brown head. Heald up to a midday sun it shows nothing, you could use this thing to shield your eyes from a TIG welder. The smell is amazing, its smells like fresh coffee, coco, sweet cream, soulful singers, and bold days.

Tastes great, just a wonderful mix of coffee and chocolate, with sweet lactose and german(Perhaps I'm reaching here...) grains. There is a hint of acidity, I think not an infection but one similar to fine coffee. I am very impressed. Mouthfeel is a tad thin for the flavor, but in comparison with most 8% stouts, superb.

All in all the best Shorts brew I have had. I would gladly purchase more of this bad boy given the chance. Now where is that damned fedex guy?

Shorts- I raise this tulip to you. (1,328 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +17%

Aroma: Hello coffee! Rich, dark espresso bean notes jump out of the glass. Dark roasted grain notes complement the coffee goodness. More creamed coffee notes emerge as the beer warms.

Appearance: Jet black with a fluffy brown head.

Flavor: Wow...layer upon layer of coffee richness. I also get anise and licorice notes and some low dark fruit esters. There is a touch of milk sweetness that helps with all the dark roasted goodness...reminds me of Hershey's dark chocolate. Balance is toward the roasted bitterness. Finish is clean and dry.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Just a touch of dark roasted astringency and creaminess.

Overall impression: Wow...this makes Founder's Breakfast Stout look like brown water. The complexity, richness, balance, and drinkability of this beer make for a wonderful winter treat. (838 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +16.7%

A- A deep, dark, thick black liquid with a thin but creamy brown head that settles to a splotchy covering.

S- Sweet coffee, maybe some chocolate. That is about it... and it is awesome.

T- Sweet coffee with some chocolate and cream to bring up a nice finish.

M- Creamy and a bit oily- just like good coffee.

D- The alcohol is not apparent at all in this beer. Very smooth and drinkable. This should be a must try for any coffee or stout lover out there. (456 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +16.5%

I would probably have a hard time stopping drinking these if I leaved in Michigan.

Totally pitch black beer with no highlights whatsoever. Brown head that dissolves down to a fine film. Small lacing.

Nose is huge coffee and roasted malt. A touch of dried fruit that comes on stronger as the beer warms up.

Flavor is big coffee. Big roasted malt. Big fruitiness. Chocolate and caramel in there as well. Freaking amazing.

Somewhere in between creamy and medium bodied. Not as big as you might expect, body-wise, but it works.

Absolutely delicious beer, one I would pick up again in a heartbeat. (602 characters)

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout from Short's Brewing Company