Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme StoutShort's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A brew uniquely different from most coffee stouts, we cram Higher Grounds roasted fair trade espresso beans into every facet of the brewing process. Prominent aromatics of malt, espresso, and cocoa are abundant and create a flavor robust with big malt characters fused with cream and coffee. The perfect morning night capper."
20 I.B.U.’s

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2006)
GoGriz

1.45/5  rDev -64.2%

Great extra from stfun37
This is so fing frustrating. I have had a string of infected beers recently and don't like to review if they are. I can't take it any more though.

Pours a ridiculously nice looking mocha brown and then gets darker. Head forms quick. The nose is slightly off. Here is when it goes down the drain...if you know what I mean. Sour. Disasterous. Starts creamy and a millisecond later it is just acidic and sour. Another beer I want to keep drinking in the hope that the flavor will just change, but alas, to the drain we go.

10-14-2010 23:54:50 | More by GoGriz
Jparkanzky

1.5/5  rDev -63%

01-23-2012 23:45:03 | More by Jparkanzky
maximum12

1.7/5  rDev -58%

Well, my friend malty, I'm down to just a few bottles from our epic Short's/Surly swap in early August, & this is one of them. I'll always remember those few minutes we spent just inside the door of your hotel while the rain poured down outside...

Popped the cap cautiously, phhhssss. Poured into my waiting & willing Surly pint glass, slowly, & a flagrant head rose all the way up over the four ounces of overflow. A couple pours later, we're all set. A couple minutes to let the head settle, & in goes the nose. Oooh, really nice roastiness on this one, coupled with a creaminess that doesn't cross the line to lactose (which I'm not too fond of). Nice start.

Cup A Joe isn't quite right. The great nose leads into a promising sip of beautifully roasted coffee, backed with a creaminess, that's signigicantly undercut by the whiplash of tart, sour, lactic ugliness. I can taste what this brew was, almost, & I suspect his one could have held it's head high in the pantheon of the best coffee brews out there, but not this one. Even slightly warmer, the fungal rudeness becomes much stronger.

Not going to be able to take more than 2-3 ounces of this one. Too bad, because the nose, & the initial hit on the tongue, were extremely promising. Down the drain it goes.

11-21-2010 03:56:00 | More by maximum12
genuinedisciple

1.8/5  rDev -55.6%

A: Poured well with a nice lacing on it throughout the drinking experience. Color was a nice deep brown.

S: Coffee! It's a coffee beer, but man is that smell overpowering. I really couldn't smell anything else. I like the smell of coffee, so it gets an average grade.

T: Awful, just awful. I have no idea how this has an A-. If you look at the other posts on this beer, you'll see that people either loved or hated it. I'm wondering if this is an infection issue. At first you taste a strong coffee flavor (Folger's quality), which immediately turns sour/bitter, and then goes back into the flavor that is supposed to be the best part of waking up (let me sleep). I disliked the entire tasting experience.

M: Started out full bodied, but thinned out quickly...boring.

Overall: A Terrible beer that I would never recommend. Go get the Short's Mystery Stout.

04-16-2011 01:48:22 | More by genuinedisciple
beavers

1.85/5  rDev -54.3%

No bottled on date to be found.

Prying the cap open produces a quiet pop. Needs a rather vigorous pour to create the head you expect from an imperial stout.

Smell is a rather strange combination of old coffee grounds, burnt granulated sugar and wet peanut shells.

Watered down roasted malt is overpowered by an aggressive sour (and slightly sweet) lactic acid flavor. This tastes like 2 week old burnt black coffee with a spoonful of sugar and some non-dairy creamer. Yep.

Mouthfeel is thin and undercarbonated.

No bottled on date prevents me from knowing how old this is. Infection seems likely — but an unusual amount of powdered lactose also seems like a culprit.

05-06-2011 03:41:34 | More by beavers
cpetrone84

Pour is jet black with virtually no head. Nose is a bit artificial, artificial vanilla, overly sweet malt an sugar, and used coffee grounds. Taste is just as bad, overly sweet, under attenuated malt and coffee mess. Virtually no carb and extremely oily and slick feel.

05-07-2013 13:19:35 | More by cpetrone84
suspect

2.05/5  rDev -49.4%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass. Split with mrmarmot.

A: Dark black color. Aggressive pour leads to almost zero head that is disappointing. Not much lacing to speak of.

S: Burnt coffee, toasted malts, caramel

T: Tastes like the coffee pot was left on high for 4 hours, then was turned off, then was turned back on again, then left over night, then reheated in the microwave. Bitter coffee flavor and sweet lactose creamer with slight caramel backing.

M: Thin, undercarbonated, acidic and not pleasant.

O: I was really disappointed. Seeing this beer made me excited to try it and it was so disappointing when I had to drain pour it. I'm wondering why it still has an A- average.

05-14-2011 19:16:34 | More by suspect
Thickfreakness

2.15/5  rDev -46.9%

A- Poured quickly into my Bruery tulip... no head what-so-ever... just a bit of kahki brown lacing around the edges. Deep dark brown and malty without any light shining thru!

S- Coffee and burnt malts... nothing else, just coffee. No depth, no other flavors in the nose. I understand what this is... I just didn't realize that it would only hit one note!

T- Uhmmm... Dark roasted coffee... just a hint of sour cherry. Over-powering coffee! Bitter!!! No caramel creme, no Cocoa... just bitter, day old coffee with a touch of sourness.

M- Acrid and bitter... was I supposed to add cream and sugar to this? Sour coffee is not something a beer should be proud of!

O- This is pretty damn awful!!! Raisin and bitter coffee is not what you wanna wake up too, or say goodnite with!!! I feel like putting a drop or two of coffee creamer in it just to make it drinkable!

07-23-2011 04:24:08 | More by Thickfreakness
Onenote81

2.15/5  rDev -46.9%

I had received a boxload of Shorts earlier this year and only 1/4 of what I had tried was not infected. I thought surely this beer, with its A- average, would be alright. I was anticipating it greatly, as coffee stouts are one of my favorites. Alas, it did not deliver. And because Shorts has horrible quality control and I am not alone in my experience with this , I will review nonetheless.

Split this with my wife. Poured my allotment into a chalice. Pours a very dark black, with the thinnest of tan heads on top. No lace. The nose is the best part of this beer. With the other infected Shorts brews, I could sense it in the aroma, not with this one. This misled me into believing it was indeed an alright beer. Big notes of freshly-ground coffee, some chocolate, and roasted malts. What I expected and hoped for.

The mouth is overly-carbonated for the style. I like a bit more smoothness and heft. This one was bordering spritzy and thin. Eh. The flavor is where this fell flat. Some coffee is notes, but it is so overpowered by sourness, that I can't even begin to pull out other flavors. Chocolate? Not so much. Sweet cream? Nope. Sour vinegar? Bingo! That's it. "Beer," meet drain. What a mess this was. I am honestly done with this brewery. There's only a few breweries overall that I will write off. This one made the list.

03-27-2011 18:13:15 | More by Onenote81
lurpy1

2.17/5  rDev -46.4%

Business travel means trying local beers, and after having a terrific Humalupalicious the other night, as a coffee enthusiast, stout enthusiast, and coffee stout enthusiast, I was looking forward to the bottle I picked up at Big Ten Party Store in Okemos, MI. Damnitall, this was a letdown. The funky whiff of scorched coffee resin emanating from the bottle was a warning shot. It was smooth in the mouth and had some good stout-y qualities, but my taste buds were battered by overwhelming burnt coffee, left-my-coffeemaker-on-all-day tones. Any other subleties in taste were blown away by the coffee. Cup a Joe was marginally finish-able, but not buyagain-able.

04-07-2011 13:54:38 | More by lurpy1
MPLS

2.23/5  rDev -44.9%

Thanks to Bung for this one. I am really hoping this particular bottle isn't infected, seems to be happening to a few people.

A: This thing is producing a mammoth amount of foam that is almost Belgianesque. I do not know if this is the product of me running up the stairs, but it's obscene how much foam this is laying down. It's not very dense, but has a light frothy milk espresso to it. Light brown opaque body. This foam is irritating, let me drink you already.

S: Roasted coffee grounds mixed with a strange acidity and latte odor. I have a feeling this one is infected, especially with the out of control carbonation.

T: The coffee profile that seems to exist in this beer is good, but there is an overwhelming amount of sourness and tart acidity. I was hoping for greatness, but it's not there. The creme element of the beer is slightly discernible in the nose, but overall a very off putting beer.

M: Overly carbonated and a tad thin, a big disappointment after patiently waiting for the head to go down.

D: I can only presume infection, never would a tart and sourness mixed with coffee ever be intended.

03-25-2010 07:57:14 | More by MPLS
scottfrie

2.25/5  rDev -44.4%

12oz bottle into Delirium Noel snifter.

A: Pour a very dark brown with an extremely huge airy head that foamed up even with a slow pour. This light brown soft looking head took forever to die down into a
S: Immediately I get huge notes of lactose milk-sugar mixed with a huge rich blast of dark roasted espresso beans. There is also a slight touch of alcohol vapor mixed in to remind me that as I sniff this beer I am not in a coffee shop.
T: Coffee is at the forefront along with dark malts. The lactose is there to add a creamy touch of sweetness, but sadly all of these flavors are overshadowed by an overwhelming tart/sourness. Like many a reviewer before me has stated, this beer had great potential but sadly something went wrong. Oddly enough the rich coffee aftertaste is quit good, but sadly I could not take more than a few sips of it before this sour mess went down the drain.
M: Overly carbonated but strangely thin. This beer froths up on the palate before the mouth fall off the edge.
O: This one smelled great and for a second tasted really good. I bet if I had this fresh it would be one hell-of-a beer. Too bad this one wasn’t good.

04-30-2011 18:27:38 | More by scottfrie
DosBeerigos

2.45/5  rDev -39.5%

C: Can’t tell how clear it is because it is BLACKKKK
H: Very Dark Black
N:Espresso forward, hints of sweet creme, and sugary roasted malt

Call me crazy, yes I know most of you do already, but I get pepperoncini all up in the nose. Now I can pull the espresso out, and maybe it is just the bitterness of the coffee, but I get pepperoncini. Regardless, I was excited about this beer as I have only been able to try several of the Short’s Beers. Thanks to EvilTwin for sharing this with me.
OK, the taste of the beer is straight black olive. I love black olives, but damn….not in beer. There is a strong salty mid-palate flavor that is throwing the whole flavor profile off. That mixed with a strong espresso back-end, brought me back to the day of eating black olives from the can. Nothing like putting the pitted black olives on your fingers so you have olive fingers, and then eating them off! (Hey don’t judge me….I know you did it too!). Overall this is an interested black olive beer!

04-29-2011 14:39:53 | More by DosBeerigos
icetraxx

2.45/5  rDev -39.5%

A: Overflowed out of my Guinness tulip glass, oops (and yes, I usually drink better stouts than Guinness). A vigorous pour produced a 4+ finger head that dissipated into a cap within a minute. The beer appears to be as dark as the night, no light is shining through this one. The head completely disappeared after a few sips, this is not a very good looking stout.
EDIT: Pour two faired quite a bit better with the head retention.

S: There is an aroma that reminds me of the previous beer I tried from Short's, PB&J, it is almost a nutty aroma. There is a distinctive coffee aroma, not a gourmet fresh coffee aroma, but more like the local diner's coffee or dad's cheap coffee that he brews every morning. Stale coffee grounds and baker's chocolate dominate the rest of the aroma, hiding anything else. A tinge of caramel -yet toasted malt comes through, but just barely. The stale coffee smell is EXACTLY the same as the aroma I get when I clean out my coffee maker after it has sat with coffee grounds in it for a day or two.

T: It tastes almost exactly like it smells, stale coffee grounds and dad's morning coffee are forefront. I almost want to pour it out, but then it suddenly gets better. There is a slight milky sweetness to it that I like. Some hop fruitiness cuts the stale coffee flavor. There is a roasted malt flavor that makes itself noticeable after the third sip. The stale coffee flavor dominates and ultimately makes this one not very enjoyable. The aftertaste is reminiscent of the aftertaste of coffee at the local diner, which isn't too bad. I should also note that I am a mild coffee connoisseur so anything short of a good coffee brew is a drain pour to me.
EDIT: Second pour reveals sour and metallic infected beer. Gross.

M: Actually quite creamy and thick, the lack of head makes the body seem weaker than other stouts that I have tried. Overall I can't knock it down too much.

D: Three sips was enough, give me a good sweet stout or a good coffee please, not this mix of stale coffee and mediocre stout. Not quite a drain pour, but not good...
EDIT: Only finished half... :-(

O: While I love Short's for their interesting offerings, this particular brew has not convinced me that coffee stouts work as the coffee in this case tastes old and stale, just like *week* old coffee does. This is my first experience with the coffee + stout style, I hope others have better offerings. At least this one has lots of flavor, but honestly, I'd rather choke down a flavorless Budweiser than this one.

01-19-2010 02:32:49 | More by icetraxx
ChadQuest

2.45/5  rDev -39.5%

More opaque then i was expecting, pretty dense and black with some dark brown highlights around the edges. ring of dark tan foam.
The aroma smells over roasted, a bit stale. Strong coffee presence for sure, but it could be done a bit better.
Man, the flavors take the aroma notes but another step down. There is a stale coffee acidity and sourness that is not very cool. Charred coffee with past date lactose milk creamer.

The look and viscosity were good, the whole coffee aspect of this was bad though(i am a coffee geek). Can i assume they added the coffee during the boil for extraction? I don't know, but that's what it tastes like, and it turned out bad.

05-09-2011 04:05:47 | More by ChadQuest
alalvarez75

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

03-04-2012 20:00:34 | More by alalvarez75
stakem

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

Bottle care of mothman, thanks Ben I have been wanting to try this one for quite awhile.

Poured into a SA sensory glass this brew appears pitch black with a ruby coloring around the border. The head swells up fast despite a careful pour presenting more than 2 and a half fingers of darkly tanned head. As the foam settles to less than a finger of fluff, it sticks around the glass in patchy legs and retains well.

The nose of this brew includes a bunch of sweet chocolate and coffee that is very very pleasing straight out the gate. At times the nose comes across with a bit of a musty and earthy scent very similar to other brews with a coffee addition. In the background there is some sweetness of lactose and a bit of a sour twinge. I heard of infections with this brew...perhaps this one is tainted as well?

Taking a sip there is the dark grain character reminescent of coffee, chocolate and a very sharp level of acidity that is quite tangy but also sweet. This is either a crazy overboard mixture of proportions of lactose, citrus hops and sourmashing techniques/blending or something has gone a-rye with this brew. The dark grain flavors linger in the mouth with a very earthy and musty character as indicated by the nose. This brew would be seriously delicious without that sharp acidic tanginess. Through the back of the throat, the 8% alcohol is evident.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a higher than anticipated level of carbonation. The level of tartness is very out of place for the style and I cannot finish the glass. I really want to get my hands on another one of these incase this particular sample was infected. From the initial aroma and the flavor (looking past the tartness) this could be a fantastic brew. I will seek out another sample and edit this review accordingly.

08-18-2010 00:24:09 | More by stakem
moz9

2.55/5  rDev -37%

Hate to do it, but I have to agree with the last two reviews of this beer. I got it as an extra in a trade from a good trader, so I can't fault them for that, but the beer was flat out disappointing. The previous 2 reviews are pretty much right on with respect to the issues with this beer. Namely, it's flat--with a slight coffee taste but an acidic aftertaste. I was really disappointed that this beer was so bad. I honestly had high expectations for it. Maybe I got a bad bottle? To be fair, I did NOT read any reviews until I had to drain pour the beer and at that point looked at BA to see the previous 2 reviews.

Hopefully this was an anomaly.

05-15-2011 02:39:00 | More by moz9
Telix

2.55/5  rDev -37%

Poured from the bottle into a DFH snifter.

A: An extremely opaque dark brown/black ale, with low carbonation. Tight beads of internal carbonation reveal themselves after being knocked out from the nucleation points in the bottom of the glass. If you like your beer to look like ink, this is for you. If you like it to look like something you really want to drink, it isn't.

S: Surprisingly mild, and basically all coffee. Unfortunately it's not super appetizing as coffee should be, but smells somewhat like wet coffee grounds. The lactose/creaminess is lurking in the background, along with a mild roastiness.

T: Incredibly disappointing. After you disassociate yourself from the liquid silk mouthfeel, all you notice is overpowering sweetness and coffee flavors, and some bitterness and burbon flavors on the finish. It starts with overpowering sugar sweetness and finishes with too much snappy bitterness. It's basically cold coffee with white sugar in it, and a bit of booze. Inelegant, unintegrated, and underwhelming. A mess.

M: The mouthfeel is the best thing going for this beer. It's totally silken, one of the smoothest beers I've ever had. It's chewy, thick, and great.

D: The overwhelming sweetness and straight-up cold coffee flavors get really old, really quickly. I was struggling to keep drinking after half the glass.

Honestly, this beer was a complete disappointment. It's a complete cloying mess of sugary coffee flavors. I had had a bottle of Founder's Breakfast Stout earlier in the day, and compared to that Cup A Joe seems like it should be named Cup A Joke. The elegantly balanced, nuanced, and complex Founder's beer shows what a coffee stout should be, while Cup A Joe tastes like a homebrewing experiment taken too far.

12-22-2009 02:35:01 | More by Telix
brdc

Wisconsin

2.73/5  rDev -32.6%

Thanks sykdoc for this one.
Small capped bottle poured into a snifter.

Pitch black beer with a one finger creamy, dense and copmact, beautiful head that lasts reasonably well, leaving some lacing.
Aroma is, obviously coffee. Unfortunately, coffee and more coffee; you have to really use your imagination to find a tiny little bit of cocoa, roasted malts in there.
Very creamy mouthfeel, but the flavor, like the aroma, is coffee, more coffee. Everything else is buried in there. Now, it is very good and flavorful coffee, but still, only coffee. No room for complexity.
Some coffee lovers might like it, but in my opinion, if I want pure and simple coffee, I would have, well, coffee.
Beer needs something else.

02-22-2010 00:04:00 | More by brdc
mwbrady12

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

07-29-2013 01:31:20 | More by mwbrady12
Trilogy31

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Pours a motor oil black with the faintest whisper of a foam head - appears to be a very low level of carbonation. Nose has freshly brewed drip coffee, cinnamon sugar doughnuts, as well as spent coffee grinds and sweet non dairy creamer. Really a nicely put together aroma. Taste is almost sour/bitter coffee, really unpleasant compared to how nice the nose was. Sour red fruits as well but the low level of carbonation really hurts the taste and drinkability.

05-07-2011 06:53:04 | More by Trilogy31
UMNbeerhunter

2.9/5  rDev -28.4%

Poured into a darkness goblet on 8/4/11.

Pours a a watery black with almost no head at all. A touch of brown resin when swirled. This needs more head in the pour it looks like I poured a glass of Coke.

Smell is of coffee and sweet malts in the front with some slight creamy smoothness in the end. Coffee and cream are very delightful with a slight sourness.

Taste is very strange. I like the coffee and cream tastes in the end of the taste but it all gets over powered by a strong sour taste the second it hit your tongue. This really missed the mark, I don't want my coffee stout to taste like its infected.

Mouthfeel is light and runs smooth with no bitterness. Alcohol is all covered. Not much else to say.

Overall this really missed its mark. It really tastes like the brew is infected. The aroma and the taste are totally different. I like the coffee aromas but the sour taste and mouthfeel really ruins this beer.

08-05-2011 03:04:05 | More by UMNbeerhunter
weatherdog

Growler shared by Richard at a tasting, poured into a Cigar City snifter

It pours a deep black with a small tan head. Some ruby highlights are around the edges of the glass.

The aroma is instantly recognizable as old coffee. It's the kind of coffee smell that hits you when you open up the coffee filter in the morning and old grounds have been there since yesterday. I've had many coffee beers and the only ones I can't stand are the ones that smell like old coffee.

The flavor improves a little bit. The old coffee smell is there but not as bad as the aroma. The coffee is complimented with some creaminess and a hint of sweetness contributed from the lactose. An interesting flavor combination that I'm sure I'd appreciate much more if the coffee flavor and aroma were fresh.

Mouthfeel is medium full with a nice creamy finish. Drinkability is decent for a stout of the ABV and body.

01-11-2011 04:24:54 | More by weatherdog
n2185

A: Pours black with three fingers of dark tan head that recedes into a frothy ring with a little lacing.

S: Lots of roasted coffee on the nose with some underlying creamy chocolate and roasted malt notes underneath.

T: Roasted malts and coffee dominate at first with faint cocoa notes underneath. The finish tastes strongly of char, to the point that it's almost sour.

M: Medium-thick body with medium carbonation, the sourness and relatively light body give this beer a slightly watery feel.

O: Not a bad beer, but the sourness of it sticks to me like a sore thumb. The nose promises wonderful robust coffee and then the flavor delivers an odd, sour finish that contrasts sharply with the other characters of the beer.

01-11-2012 21:53:32 | More by n2185