Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout - Short's Brewing Company

Short's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme StoutShort's Cup A Joe Coffee Creme Stout

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Stout |  7.00% ABV

"A brew uniquely different from most coffee stouts, we cram Higher Grounds roasted fair trade espresso beans into every facet of the brewing process. Prominent aromatics of malt, espresso, and cocoa are abundant and create a flavor robust with big malt characters fused with cream and coffee. The perfect morning night capper."
20 I.B.U.’s

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 09-26-2006)
1.7/5  rDev -58%

Well, my friend malty, I'm down to just a few bottles from our epic Short's/Surly swap in early August, & this is one of them. I'll always remember those few minutes we spent just inside the door of your hotel while the rain poured down outside...

Popped the cap cautiously, phhhssss. Poured into my waiting & willing Surly pint glass, slowly, & a flagrant head rose all the way up over the four ounces of overflow. A couple pours later, we're all set. A couple minutes to let the head settle, & in goes the nose. Oooh, really nice roastiness on this one, coupled with a creaminess that doesn't cross the line to lactose (which I'm not too fond of). Nice start.

Cup A Joe isn't quite right. The great nose leads into a promising sip of beautifully roasted coffee, backed with a creaminess, that's signigicantly undercut by the whiplash of tart, sour, lactic ugliness. I can taste what this brew was, almost, & I suspect his one could have held it's head high in the pantheon of the best coffee brews out there, but not this one. Even slightly warmer, the fungal rudeness becomes much stronger.

Not going to be able to take more than 2-3 ounces of this one. Too bad, because the nose, & the initial hit on the tongue, were extremely promising. Down the drain it goes.

maximum12, Nov 21, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from growler into a tulip glass. Thank G311 for sharing this one.

Appearance: Poured dark black with a thin mocha colored head

Smell: Smells exactly like an iced coffee. Coffee, cream, vanilla, sugar. I had a hard time actually drinking this as I just wanted to smell it as long as I could.

Taste: This tastes just as the nose would indicate. Coffee, cream, vanilla and sugar. Very tasty beer.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and really creamy.

Drinkability: This was my first (hopefully not my last) Short's beer. I really want to get some more of this, as it was one of the best smelling beers I've ever had, and tasted really good as well. Never would have guessed 8%.

Axic10, Nov 15, 2010
3.73/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured a dark as night black with ruby highlights that had a half finger of brown head and left a little bubbly lacing sticking to the glass. The aromas was quite pleasent consisting of roasted chocolate malts, toasty grains, slight sweet cream, and for sure some coffee notes. There was also some noticeable booze but was not potent. Upfront on the palate the roasted chocolate malts and coffee really come together quite well with toasty grain accents and slight booze. The only bad thing was that I did detect some slight tart flavor that I believe is a result of the infection this beer been tainted with; what a shame. The brew was medium in body with a relative high amount of carbonation which had a sweet, roasty, slight astringent, and tart finish. It drank good but was dissapointed on the infectious qualities this beer had. This the second shorts beer that has been infected but trully believe it had lots of potential without the sourness; too bad

Gobzilla, Oct 20, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

thanks so much to stakem for sharing this - I really wanted to try this!

Poured from the 12oz bottle into my tulip.
Thankfully this was not one of the bottles affected by infection issue I heard of.

The color of deep brown shiny coffee beans with a cap of med brown, clarity is translucent and beading is micro-sized. The smell is nutty and fruity with a certain tangy citrus-like element. The light dark fruit(raisin) is unique and roasted scents are moderate. The feel is off the beaten path as most Short's beers are. The tangy dry bean texture without lots of oiliness -just tangy slighty acidic and beany w/ bitter and dry finish.

The flavor is good and wierd all wrapped together like a flavored tootsie roll. The dark cherry notes and mild woody flavors from the stout come forward at first and later a tannic tinge of raw astringent coffee beans w/a slight golden raisin and subtle cocoa note. The light toasted tinge of caramel malt softens the fruitiness slightly. I was perplexed but happy with the beer -not like any coffee brew or stout I have had, and no, it did not have a ring in the neck or smell off at all, so I am going to assume it was untainted. This is a quality coffee brew from Shorts- very drinkable.

Slatetank, Oct 19, 2010
3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

A solid pour into my 25cl tulip glass produces a four-finger thick, richly brown colored head. The beer is an almost perfectly black color and remains opaque even when held up directly to the light. As I pour this beer the aroma of deeply roasted, almost acrid roast coffee is noticeable. A more focused inspection of the nose yields some weird aromatic combinations. Coffee definitely plays a big role here, but there seems to be a burnt vegetal edge to it. Underneath this is some dark chocolate character with a touch of sweetness to it. Roasted coffee joins roasted / toasted grain and there is even a hint of cherry character bound up in these roast notes. A touch too acrid and burnt-vegetal like, but actually the nose isn't really that bad.

Lightly sweet up front and this beer has a definite body to it from the lactose sugar, but the beer also finishes with a big tartness that I at first thought might have been contributed by the burnt grain and coffee, but it is too much and is in fact lactic in character. Unfortunately another infected brew from Short's, again it sort of works here somehow. I won't have any trouble finishing my bottle of this infected brew. The lactic acid blends pretty harmoniously with the lactose and the big roasted coffee and grain character found here. Both the roast character and the lactic acid compete with the lactose sweetness, such that the beer almost comes off as being dry. Somehow the infection has added flavors of cherries to this beer as well.

This is another clearly infected brew that works better than it actually should. Again, if you are open to the experience then give it a go, but if you are looking for a Coffee Crème Stout then look else-where.

Gueuzedude, Oct 15, 2010
1.45/5  rDev -64.2%

Great extra from stfun37
This is so fing frustrating. I have had a string of infected beers recently and don't like to review if they are. I can't take it any more though.

Pours a ridiculously nice looking mocha brown and then gets darker. Head forms quick. The nose is slightly off. Here is when it goes down the drain...if you know what I mean. Sour. Disasterous. Starts creamy and a millisecond later it is just acidic and sour. Another beer I want to keep drinking in the hope that the flavor will just change, but alas, to the drain we go.

GoGriz, Oct 15, 2010
4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Re-review, bomb-ass extra from kzoobrew. Thanks! Can't get enough shorts beers.

A- Pours almost with faint signs of carbonation. mild lacing.

S- Deep french roast coffee. Fantastic nose. Smells like fresh-brewed coffee.

T- Again, coffee. Dark roast, dash of cream, no sugar. Fantastic. Simple description, but it's a simple, focused beer. No overpowering or out of place flavors.

M- Great body- the intense coffee is balanced by the 'cream'- which neutralizes any acrid or acidic coffee notes. Possibly the best coffee stout I've tasted.

D- Insanely high. Give me more. If you get an infected one, double down and roll the dice again. This beer is great. A million thanks to kzoobrew for the chance to taste this beer as intended.

___

Original Review: 1.7 F- infected

12oz into tulip.

A- Big 'pssssh' when I took the cap off (not a good sign), pour is over-the-top 5 fingers of a sandy tan on a deep brown base. Super carbonated.

S- Bitter coffee, dark fruit.

T- Infected. Sour, tart, and tangy. Astringent. Starts off nice for a 1/4 of a second with some bitter roast but just goes tart immediately after. This is undrinkable. Unlike some other reviews that mention a sour component in with the coffee flavors, I found my tongue washed out with a tsunami of infection. I literally can't taste anything but.

M- Gross. Nasty infection. Super carbed, thin, acrid.

D- Did not finish, which is rare. I had maybe 4 sips and had to put it down. Would love to try a non-infected bottle, I hear these things happen w/ Shorts. I'll re-review if needed.

ShogoKawada, Aug 21, 2010
4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle. Pours an extremely dark brown color with a nice big tan head. The aroma is amazing on this one! Strong notes of coffe, dark chocolate, vanilla, and an almost leathery smell (in a good way). The taste is like drinking a cold dark roast coffee with a shot of espresso. The coffee takes center stage and ends with a slight bitterness followed by an almost milk chocolate flavor. Medium/heavy mouthfeel. Good carbonation.

kbutler1, Aug 20, 2010
2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

Bottle care of mothman, thanks Ben I have been wanting to try this one for quite awhile.

Poured into a SA sensory glass this brew appears pitch black with a ruby coloring around the border. The head swells up fast despite a careful pour presenting more than 2 and a half fingers of darkly tanned head. As the foam settles to less than a finger of fluff, it sticks around the glass in patchy legs and retains well.

The nose of this brew includes a bunch of sweet chocolate and coffee that is very very pleasing straight out the gate. At times the nose comes across with a bit of a musty and earthy scent very similar to other brews with a coffee addition. In the background there is some sweetness of lactose and a bit of a sour twinge. I heard of infections with this brew...perhaps this one is tainted as well?

Taking a sip there is the dark grain character reminescent of coffee, chocolate and a very sharp level of acidity that is quite tangy but also sweet. This is either a crazy overboard mixture of proportions of lactose, citrus hops and sourmashing techniques/blending or something has gone a-rye with this brew. The dark grain flavors linger in the mouth with a very earthy and musty character as indicated by the nose. This brew would be seriously delicious without that sharp acidic tanginess. Through the back of the throat, the 8% alcohol is evident.

This is a medium to light bodied brew with a higher than anticipated level of carbonation. The level of tartness is very out of place for the style and I cannot finish the glass. I really want to get my hands on another one of these incase this particular sample was infected. From the initial aroma and the flavor (looking past the tartness) this could be a fantastic brew. I will seek out another sample and edit this review accordingly.

stakem, Aug 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

a - Pours a very dark brown color with lots of head that last for several minutes and moderate carbonation evident. Took me a few minutes to pour.

s - Smells of coffee, roasted malts, cream, vanilla, and chocolate. Hint of dark fruits. Very enjoyable.

t - Tastes of light coffee, cream, roasted malts, vanilla, toasted malts, and bitter chocolate. Much more bitter than I was expecting.

m - Medium body and low carbonation. Very smooth and easy to drink.

d - I thought this was a very good stout. I loved the smell and was very happy to find it wasn't just dominated by coffee; it was very balanced. I wish the taste had been a little sweeter as opposed to bitter, but it was still very enjoyable. Would love to have again.

mdfb79, Aug 13, 2010
3.18/5  rDev -21.5%

Got in a trade with hotpipes29.

Pours a dark black color, with a brown fizzy head that goes away in a second. No shot at lacing. I was exited for a moment a the look, and then it was gone. Smells powerfully ofsweetened coffee, almost as if there's nothing else there. A little chocolate comes through, but there's not a whole lot of complexity to be found. The taste comes up slightly fruity, like plums or a little grape-y, but the roasted coffee is still predominant, with s nice little kick of sweetness to finish - though I'd say the sweetness starts to catch on a bit more as the drink goes on. Not impressive, but not too bad. The body is pretty good. Nice and creamy, a little on the heavy side of medium, with a nice little kick of carbonation. Pretty good. Overall, this is a decent beer. I think it's kind of average though - it's got it's highs and lows, but I don't know if I would come back to it, without some significant improvements.

taylorhamrick, Jul 28, 2010
4.13/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a snifter. My brother found this in the fridge at a store in Michigan last week and picked up two bottles for me...big props to him!

A: Opaque black color, with a nice 3 finger mocha colored head that had great retention, but only moderate lacing.

S: The most intense coffee smell I have ever experienced in a beer. Simply Wonderful.

T: Big surprise here. I was expecting the big coffee flavors of smell to come through in the taste, but rather the taste was more like a sour/bitter espresso. The sourness was okay, but a little bit more pronounced than I would have liked. As pointed out by fellow BA airohead2001 at our tasting, it really did have a finish that reminded me a lot of buttermilk.

M: Pretty good, perhaps a little too much carbonation, which made it not as creamy as I would have liked.

D: The alcohol is hidden very well in this beer, but the sourness limits its drinkability a bit in my book. Really glad to have tried this one though, and will never forget its incredible smell.

glazeman, Jul 05, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Ok. Here is a previous review of this beer from July, when I tried an infected bottle. My overall score at that time was a 3.95, B+.

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter, courtesy of glazeman.

A - Black, with a huge, foamy, 3 to 4 finger head. Excellent head retention, but little lacing. 4.0

S - Coffee, coffee, coffee. Just an outstanding smelling beer. Some figs, dark fruits, and alcohol are also present. 4.5

T - Funky tasting coffee stout - really good, but not what I was expecting. Sour coffee up front with a sugary/sour buttermilk-like finish. 4.0

M - Pretty thin. I would have preferred this interesting stout to be a bit more thick. 3.0

D - The thinness of the beer certainly makes this a drinkable brew. However, the sour overtones in the taste limit the overall drinkability. 3.5

---

Here is a review from tonight, 12/16/10, when I'm trying a fresh, non-infected 2010 bottle. I had this one just below room temperature.

A - same as above

S - Perfect for a coffee imperial stout. Perfect. A wonderful blend of fresh, dark roasted coffee and sugar through out. A strong, deep whiff elicits milk sugar, butter, popcorn, peanuts, and toffee. So complex at room temperature. Wow.

T - Incredible. Very similar to the smell. Coffee up front, followed by sugar, butter toffee, biscuit, and an outstanding nuttiness that lingers on the tongue.

M - Far better than last year's version. Maybe it's in part due to the temperature, but this one is much stickier and thicker than last year's. Low carbonation.

D - Take out the sourness from last year's infection, and this one is a grand slam. What an incredible offering from Short's. Easily their best beer by far. This beer is balanced to near perfection - the bitterness of the dark roasts meets the sweetness of the milk sugar and makes everything right with the world. I could drink 3 or 4 bottles of this no problem, and then land flat on my ass. Expedition Stout, KBS, Peche Mortel, Weasel, and just about every other coffee beer other than GI BCBCS can take a seat, because Cup a Joe is in the house!

airohead2001, Jul 02, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

A- Pours a very dark brown or black color wiht a huge foamy tan colored head. Head has good retention but doesn't leave a lot of lacing.

S- Smells of dark roasted malts, sweet espresso, cocoa, and some sort of spice. Hops are here too. Coffee jumps out more as it warms.

T- Pretty bitter, dark roasted malts, coffee, chocolate, espresso. Sweet caramel, and hops are here too. Quite a bit of cream taste here too. The taste at first I wasn't sure what to think but this one did grow on me quite a bit.

M- Both medium in body and carbonation.

D- Clearly let this one warm up first. Just maybe a bit too sweet and lactose prominant for me from making this one stellar. I'd hit this one up again if it ever comes my way.

nrbw23, Jun 29, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%

Received this as an extra in a trade a couple of months ago and this seemed like as time as any to crack this bad boy. The review is from notes taken on 6/24/2010 and poured from the bottle to a snifter.

Appearance: Pour is darkest brown/near black and starts with a big 2 and 1/2 finger dark tan head; body is entirely opaque; the head eventually fades to a thick, full and creamy cap on the surface; just a lone wash of lacing behind. Pretty enticing looks to this one and it actually looked a viscous on the pour. I know this is an American Double and all, but I typically find American stouts to look a little thin, but this one, not so much...

Smell: Strikes me as soon as I pop the cap and it's chock full of burnt and roasty coffee malts and nice compliments of bittersweet and milk chocolate; interesting enough, there is a deep and dark sweet fruit presence that is reminiscent of raspberries or cherries, and they remind of me of chocolate covered syrupy candies.

Taste: Wow -- tons of the deep and dark burnt coffee malts, but that dark sweet fruit flavor (like cherries or raspberries) comes in next and it's even a tad tart; rounding the drink out and lingering well into the aftertaste comes the bittersweet and milk chocolate flavors. Really an amazing beer.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy, and actually a little thick and slightly syrupy -- a pleasant surprise that I was kind of hoping for after watching the pour; carbonation is present and is aided a bit by the slightly tart cherry/raspberry flavors; a moist stickiness is left on the roof of the mouth.

Drinkability: One of the more interesting beers I've had as of late; wonderful smells and flavors and especially pleasing mouthfeel; ABV feels a little high and at 8%, I don't think I would be able to drink too much, especially when it's coupled with the sweetness -- but to have one for dessert or on a cold winter night, this would be absolutely amazing and perfect.

bamadog, Jun 26, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +9.4%

Acquired this from GBVDave so a BIG THANK YOU goes out to him!
Poured in to a pint glass.

A: This beer pours a thick, opaque, dark, chocolate brown. A two finger of medium brown, rocky, sudsy head sits on top. Head recedes at a moderate pace leaving minimal lace spotting on the glass.

S: Nose is creamy, sugar sweetness and vanilla, hints of roasted malt and milk chocolate.

T: Taste is milk chocolate up front mixed with a sharp vanilla presence. Middle has roasted and charred malts, strong black coffee taste, and hints of mocha. Finish is cream and sugar, and the vanilla comes back in the finish where it lingers for a bit.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, creamy body with a touch sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, nicely blended, mildly filling, decent kick, I could absolutely have a few pints of this brew.

Jayli, Jun 05, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a snifter. Yielded a thick, single finger, khaki head. The foam had great retention time and left small amounts of lace behind. The body is black and opaque...you can force mahogany edges if backlit.

Wow...great coffee/espresso nose! Tons of roasted beans, whipping cream, milk chocolate and toasted malts.

Starts off roasted and sweet...coffee with a little milk sugar. The sweetness fades toward the center and gets overpowered by the black, bitter coffee finish. Despite the emergence of the bitterness, the overall flavor remains creamy and smooth.

Medium mouth feel, creamy as hell with mild carbonation.

This is a great, easy drinking beer. I would love to have easy access to this one...highly recommended.

mgbickel, May 28, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a snifter. It pours a basically black and opaque color with a 1.5 inch mocha colored head that reduces to a nice lacing.

The aroma is very good with primarily a chilled coffee smell followed by a more roasted malt, dark chocolatey scent.

The taste is again a strong coffee. A unique acidity and bittersweet bite come through quickly and some lingering roastiness.

The mouthfeel is where it changes. It is a bit too carbonated for my liking. It is medium bodied and there is an interesting bitterness.

Overall, this is a very good beer with a couple of weaker components. It is strong in ABV which is well hidden and the mouthfeel keeps it from being more drinkable. Either way, very good.

SykDoc, May 18, 2010
3.83/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz bottle received in trade with Thorpe429. Thanks Mike! Poured into a Bruery tulip.

A - Pours a thick, oily cascade into the tulip glass. Three fingers of dark brown fizzy foam fill the glass to the rim and beyond. Head lasts about a minute, mainly due to its initial volume because it fizzes away fairly quickly til it hits the surface. No lacing left on the sides of the glass. The beer itself is an opaque nearly black (but still brown) color. Pretty inviting looking stout.

S - Ooh, good smelling beer. Lots of coffee up front in the aroma - burnt, bitter, some nice acidity. Coffee definitely dominates, but does leave some room for some of the dark roasted malts to come thru too along with a hint of chocolate and a bit of alcohol - although it is restrained in intensity. No hop presence at all, coffee is the star - front and center.

T - Black coffee with good firm bitter roastiness and nice acidity, a nice sweetness in there (probably from the lactose addition). Some light flavor additions from black malt but really the coffee overpowers the rest of the dark, bitter ingredients. Not getting any of the chocolate in the nose and no real hop presence either.

M - Hmm, this is the second Short's beer I've had recently where the beer seemed way overcarbonated. I find the feel to be foamy on the tongue and this really takes away from the feel, which should be a star of the show for this beer (based on ingredients). I expect a creme stout made with lactose to be velvety, creamy smooth - which this is not. The carbonation is on the high side of medium and masks a lot of the subtlety of this beer. Looking in the bottle and finding a thin layer of yeast, I can see that this is a bottle conditioned beer (perhaps over-primed). To me this holds back what could be a pretty fantastic beer and makes it merely very good.

D - The carbonation really hurts this one for me. Being the second Short's beer I've had recently (the PB&J...which I believe both of these to be bottled about the same time frame) I wonder if their priming yeast changed or their measurement calibration for priming sugar was off when these were bottled. Definitely still enjoyable, and would love to try this again on tap. Fix the carbonation levels and this is a great beer in my opinion.

portia99, May 13, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

Thanks to Masterski for providing this beer in a recent trade.
Excellent trader, Excellent BA.

Thick tan head aggressively forms and shows some decent retention.
The color is quite dark for a Cream Stout. No light gets through. No lacing at all.

Aroma is like a mocha shake. Thick, sweet and a mixture of mostly coffee and a touch of chocolate.

Coffee flavor stakes center stage here. That and a powerful sweetness.
Reminds me of Cuban coffee. Strong and sweet. Almost a touch of pine and licorice in the finish. Dark coffee ground sensation.

Medium body, slightly acidic and a touch sticky from the sweetness.

Pretty good. I prefer a little more body, but I realize this is not a traditional Imp Stout. Still should be thicker. Glad I had the opportunity to try this.

Reagan1984, May 07, 2010
3.08/5  rDev -24%

Dark, black pour with a big, mocha head, probably the best part of the beer. Smell is more espresso than anything else, taste is similar. Perhaps needs more cream and sugar! I found an offensive, burnt element that is present in far too many coffee beers. Also some toffee, dark roasted bean, chocolate, and lactic malt. Mouthfeel is a bit thin. The acrid bitterness is just a bit too off-putting for me.

craytonic, Apr 27, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured into a pint glass

A: Moderate to aggressive pour yields 2 fingers of brown head with great retention! Ideal pitch black liquid.

S: Rich chocolate, slight coffee, peat/earthy sweetness, french vanilla, metal shavings?

T: Rich and creamy chocolate, mocha, cream, sweetness washes in as the flavor rides out. Excellent first impression. Delicious. One of the best coffee stouts I've had. Bitterness subsides into creamy lacto-sweetness perfectly.

M: Full, rich, chewy, thick. Filling! Tingly on the taste buds.

D: Too filling to have many, but I will buy again. I don't know if I would order a second at a bar (minus points for that). Delicious overall.

dfillius, Apr 18, 2010
3.65/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another one from my secret bunny 2010 haul from ROBORB. A 12 ounce bottle poured into my shaker glass. Cup A Joe appears a dark nearly black color with a healthy looking inch or so of dense ecru foam. Nose and flavors consist of deep roasted espresso, mocha, caramel, molasses, a hint of vanilla, and an mild yet unpleasant sourness. Medium bodied with lively carbonation. Looks like this one is heading downhill quickly. Possibly the early stages of infection here. Nevertheless, I was still able to finish the glass so all was not lost. But I'd advise you all to drink 'em up ASAP if you have any laying around.

ClockworkOrange, Apr 08, 2010
4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

[edit] First of all, I can't believe this was less than a year ago...seeing as I am at over 400 beers, heh.

Secondly, now that I have an uninfected version, this is a damn good beer. Very glad I was able to try this again. Another big thanks to the same BA who gave this to me the first time, Kevin (kzoobrew). I'm really enjoying this right now!

Review Number 150. A huge thanks to kzoobrew for this beer! Cheers buddy!

Appearance - Pours into my Bell's Tulip with a dark viscosity and over three fingers of mocha colored head that is slowly dissipating leaving great lacing on the edges of the glass.

Smell - Wow, an instant hit of dark roasted coffee beans hits you followed by a very faint chocolate, sweet malty scent.

Taste - Uh oh...as I feared I am thinking I received an infected bottle (obviously out of kzoobrew's control, let me insert that here). I taste the coffee up front but it gives way to a tartness not expected in a beer like this. The irony is, that the taste isn't awful by any means. Honestly, it sort of grows on you after a while, though I will admit I wish I had a non-infected one of these so I could review it in all of its glory.

Mouthfeel - Medium bodied, plenty of carbonation.

Drinkability - Hell, I drank the whole thing, and not forefully so. Again, I wish I had a non-infected version but honestly, it wasn't half bad being a little infected. I like the play between the tart and bitter dark coffee roast. Accordingly I am not going to rate this horribly like some (why even rate it that bad when you know it is infected?). Thanks again to kzoobrew!

SpdKilz, Apr 04, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured into a pint glass. Thanks to OHLRangers for this one.

4.5 A: Black color. Many fingers of "fuzzy" medium brown head that retains well, but doesn't lace much.

4.5 S: Dark roast coffee up front. Malty sweetness next with lots of lactose. Roasted barley burtness and dark chocolate.

4.5 T: Surprisingly, there isn't much bitterness from the hops or the coffee. Rather, this is closer to the "coffee creme stout" they were going for. Medium roast coffee, mocha, sourish lactose sweetness makes this one quite tasty.

5.0 M: Heavier medium body. Good carbonation even though it originally appeared to be overcarbed. Very creamy, which I love.

5.0 D: Deee-licious. Really a great brew. Tastes just like it should given what they were going for. Drinks like a 5% brew and, in fact, I was shocked when I saw it was 8%.

DavoleBomb, Mar 28, 2010