Short's The Golden Rule - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The Golden RuleShort's The Golden Rule

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 02-25-2007)
Reviews by ryantho00:
ryantho00

3.98/5  rDev +5.9%

PPours a bright hazy golden straw orange with a fluffy white 2 finger that falls away quickly.

I get a slight citrus and tropical fruit smell on the nose with a toasted malt/grain whiff with a hint of lemon zest. Nice light smell.

This has a crisp and light medium carbonated mouthfeel. I get hints of citrus, and some slight bitterness from some refreshing (cascade?) Hops, piney grass, lemon, some toasted malt near then end and a slight dry finish.

Overall, a nice summer brew, good crispness and refreshment with just enough bitter hops that blend well together.

Hangin' Frank (controversi-ale) is slightly sweeter and less fresh, similar though.

Cheers!!

03-27-2012 21:30:54 | More by ryantho00
warnerry

3.03/5  rDev -19.4%

Notes from 4/19/11

A - Pours a somewhat sickly straw color. Hazy, with a lot of suspended material. One-half finger of white head dissipates but leaves a nice color. Not a very attractive beer to be sure.

S - Subdued aroma with a faint hop presence, slightly earthy/musty and a hint of coriander, though I don't think this was brewed with coriander.

T - Has a nice hop bite up front and is very earthy. Quite bitter on the finish, but not really in an appealing way.

M - Light mouthfeel with a snap of carbonation and lingering bitterness. A bit drying.

O - Overall this was a bit of a miss for me. Not clean enough to be a solid pale ale, and not particularly tasty.

02-18-2012 15:31:04 | More by warnerry
dmorley21

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

03-17-2012 18:09:56 | More by dmorley21
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.73/5  rDev -0.8%

Enjoyed on tap at the brewpub. Very well done English IPA. Aroma was some hops, but also dishrag aroma. Very light yellow, offset by lots of lace. Some citrus in taste, very decent bitterness that's just spot on, and I guess would be subtle to the hophead. Average mouthfeel.

08-07-2009 12:44:20 | More by Sammy
Beezee

07-18-2012 00:11:53 | More by Beezee
danp14

05-11-2012 17:42:54 | More by danp14
Shumista

3.75/5  rDev -0.3%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Looks rather unassuming, clear golden yellow with a white head. One of those beers that just looks like beer. Smells of earthy hops, biscuity malt...and reefer? I definitely smell a bit of the sticky stuff here. Flavor is earthy hops, and biscuity malt from the nose and it finishes dry with a lingering hoppy bite. Light to medium mouthfeel and very highly drinkable. With its low abv and interesting flavor profile I could drink golden rule all night.

Not sure exactly what Jesus is doing on the label, is he the origin of the golden rule...? My sunday school teachers would be quite dissapointed in me.

05-28-2010 17:48:09 | More by Shumista
rolandboy

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

10-20-2012 03:34:06 | More by rolandboy
Kegatron

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a clear gold, with a finger of rich foamy head. This hangs around with about a ¼ finger of creamy froth, leaving back some thick soapy lacing which clings to the sides of the glass. The aroma is floral and spicy, punctuated with sharp notes of earthy rind and fruity citrus flavors of lemon and orange. Pleasant smelling Pale malt accents of toasted bread float along the back. There's a nice hoppy brightness to this but I'm also unfortunately getting a bit of an off smelling mineral tinge to the nose as well.

The taste is bitter with citrus peel and gritty earth but is well balanced by a flush of sweet toasted grains. The finish is all spice and green rind notes, lingering with a steady dry bitterness. The mouthfeel has a lighter feeling medium bodied presence about it, with a lively crispness to the carbonation that prickles the mouth with. This stays relatively easy feeling the whole way through the glass, with maybe just a touch of warmth being present in the body at times.

This was pretty darn decent. Beyond some small issues with the nose, I liked how the English hops were boldly flavorful here, without being overly bitter, while the body on this kept things pretty easygoing all around. One of the better bottled efforts that I've had from Short's so far.

09-22-2010 16:55:57 | More by Kegatron
beerhan

3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pours a muddy brown with a huge white head. Lots of sediment and medium carbonation. A rather nice looking beer.

S- Smells mildly floral. I really cannot smell all that much but it smells very earthy almost as if this is some kind of super organic dirt beer.

T- There is almost no hop presence at first but there is a mild bitterness afterwards. This beer almost reminds me of good humans as in it really has the fresh from the ground tastes to it. It has a really nice fruity taste to it but I can't quite put my finger on it. There also is a little bit of fig.

M- Real refreshing, would be nice on a hot summer day. A very refreshing medium cabonated beer.

D- I could drink this throughout the summer but it is missing something. I think it could either use a little more of a hop presence or just be sweeter, it is kind of in between. Nonetheless worth trying! Seriously though the label is awesome and is worth getting at least for it.

04-13-2011 02:51:02 | More by beerhan
mzeld

05-03-2012 01:38:55 | More by mzeld
thagr81us

South Carolina

3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with funkydelic and I at an impromptu tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller sampler wine glass. Poured a hazy straw yellow witha minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, and fruity hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruity hop, and banana. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The hop character on this one really shined through for me and when blended with the other components of it made it quite enjoyable. This one definitely had a dominant fruit aspect going on here. Definitely worth your time to try this one.

05-20-2011 12:41:30 | More by thagr81us
alleykatking

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow color. One and a half finger white head shows medium retention (a lot more so than other Short's beers). Specks of lace are left all over the glass and some slide back into the glass.

S- A grainy like underbody to this beer is overwhelmed by a huge earthy grassy note in the front of the beer. Light citrus undertones in the back half of the aroma. This shows a little more earthy hint in the ending with a light hint of alcohol.

T- A dulled earthy hop bite comes out in the front of the beer. Hints of grain with light pepper notes in the middle of the beer. Light bready hints also play a light part in the middle of the beer. The citrus hops show themselves on the start of the ending which fade toward a light honey tone and crisp piney hop bite. Light alcohol shows itself toward the ending which warms the stomach.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Earthy hops and light malt base shows itself on the palate. With the aftertaste being mostly alcohol, piney hops, and hints of grain. This beer was very well balanced for the style I thought. No off flavors were present when I was drinking this beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This was a good drinking beer. Nothing over the top at all just a nice flavorful beer. The ABV never showed itself except for the drying on the palate at times. A pleasant exception to my rule of not really caring for a lot of the English IPA style. This had enough bite to make it a memorable tasting beer.

05-03-2011 01:38:00 | More by alleykatking
SpdKilz

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A big thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for sending me yet another Short's beer. I do believe I have tried more Short's beers than any other brewery. Cheers!.

Appearance - Pours a relatively clear golden color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of head is achieved with an average pour that garners about a finger of head that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell - Lots of pale malts, slight fruity, herbal, and floral hops. Just a hint of lemony citrus aromas, but overall the pale and biscuity malt with caramel.

Taste - An interesting flavor. As with the nose, heavy pale malts and biscuity flavors at the forefront. No real bitter hops but definite grassy and floral notes. Just an ever so slight presence of pears and green apple citrus, less caramel than expected, and bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium to lighter bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall - Glad I got to try this, but not really my style. I was a bit overwhelmed by the pale malts that smack you in the face at the beginning of the sip, but the medium to tail end of the sip has nice balance to it.

03-28-2011 00:49:24 | More by SpdKilz
BierFan

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass.

Hazy golden orange with a thin off-white head. Light flowery, and fruity hops. Very drinkable with a very nice bitterness in the finish and aftertaste. Not alot to the taste once you look beyond the bitterness.

05-05-2010 03:51:37 | More by BierFan
smakawhat

Maryland

3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Served on tap at ChurchKey DC into a tulip glass.

Appearance is golden, with hints of orange hues and slight cloudy body. No head presented but leaves the smallest of collars.

Big lemon burst on the nose on this beer, and a grassy hop bitter sense. Quite nice and impressive.

Hops and herbal tea upon tasting, oolong black bitter tea dust finishing with a pine hop sense on the swallow. Quite enjoyable.

Overall interesting beer, I was kind of surprised by it. But strangely can't say much more about it, and I am not exactly drawn to it either, and can't say I'd want to have this again sometime.

06-11-2011 00:08:10 | More by smakawhat
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.2/5  rDev -14.9%

Another 12'er in an Epic trade with Kbeals... Been sitting on this one for a bit, but decided to share this one with the Bro tonight...

Pours with a foamy 3/4" white head.. nice lacing.. little retention.. the brew is hazy straw golden.

Nose shows not quite what I was hoping for.. pretty simple yet elegant.. pale malts.. lite fruitiness and a bit of herbal hops.

Flavor begins with a bit of a metallic bitter twang... pale malts come in marching but it is a bit of a tap dance around a herbal boot.. some biscuity malt picks up the pace toward the finish where some minor citrus hops polish everything.

Body is lite/medium.. carbonation seems a tad high.. still a nice creamy mouthfeel pervades..

Meh.. glad I shared this with Steven.. too little and not enough for a small tasting.. okay all around but seems a bit lacking.

4/3/3/3.5/3.5

Thanks again Kevin.. this is sorta starting to seem repetitive, but it isn't.. Kevin is a badass that deserves big props.

07-07-2010 08:04:03 | More by JohnGalt1
mikesgroove

South Carolina

4.45/5  rDev +18.4%

so i decided last night to break out 10+, thats right 10+ new shorts beers for a nice sampling with the family. turns out my and my brother in law were the only ones willing to go down this road, so long afternoon for sure. serve cold and consumed on 10/02/2010.

the last in my long run through the shorts catalog last night, i actually had forgotten about this one and we found it in the fridge still while cleaning up. pours out a nice light amber color with a smooth, even head of white that faded too quickly on me leaving me hoping for a little more pop.

nice tight aroma of dirty citrus hops, floral herabl notes, fresh grass an a healthy dose of nice cereal grains that served to balance it out quite nicely. a nice and rich flavor was then brought to the forefront with a quick hitting dose of hops that soon wash the palate with rich notes of orange peel, doses of fresh grass and a nice and well balanced malty profile that really puts the finishing touches on a light an fantastic mixture. nice light and smooth finish with a light dryness.

overall a very solid example of an ipa, english or american this really worked quite well for me.

10-03-2010 17:49:38 | More by mikesgroove
tommy5

08-29-2013 14:48:15 | More by tommy5
Another6Pack

11-22-2011 02:02:55 | More by Another6Pack
WeisGuy

12-04-2011 23:32:27 | More by WeisGuy
JamnesCameron

Poured into a Le Cheval Blanc pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hue with a big, rocky, two fingered off white head. Head is slow to drop, leaving chunky lacing behind.

Aromas of light citrus hops, lemon, lemon zest, very faint hint of caramel malt.

Flavors of clean, lemony hop bitterness, good backbone of malt. A mild astringency. Finish is medium, with a lemon zest lingering, then turning to a firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a mouthcoating bitterness. Nice bitter tug at the back of the teeth.

Overall, a nice effort toward an english IPA. Nothing too aggressive or offensive. One of Shorts better, non-gimmicky beers.

06-03-2011 18:38:20 | More by JamnesCameron
sgoro

07-15-2012 00:11:15 | More by sgoro
ritzkiss

Ontario (Canada)

12oz bottle thanks to viggo and his fridge of treasures - just look inside and pull something out! Grabbed this one because of the sweet label of Jesus and a pint.

Neat beer. Pours a light golden with a finger of head. Earthy, spicy hops on the nose, a bit of apply fruit. Drinks the same, add some toast, a little earth, a light sweetness, moderate hop bite. Dry and earthy, the hops provide a unique quality to this one. Easy drinking. No wow factor, just a well made drinkable beer that would pair well with food - like the arugula salad suggestion that was made earlier. Thanks viggo!

05-28-2010 13:56:51 | More by ritzkiss
StoutHunter

3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Golden Rule yesterday for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer since it was released but I always ended up grabbing the more obscure beers from Short's instead, so when I saw a couple bottles on the shelf I knew this was my chance to try it or I would have to wait till it was released again. No visible bottling date but I know this was released in the spring of 2011, I hope it hasn't lost all of it's hops. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it really sticks out and the quote on the bottle suits this beer nicely. It poured a slightly hazy pale golden yellow color with three fingers worth of fluffy, bubbly white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and it left lots of nice lacing. This has to be one of the better looking beers I have had from Short's, the color was nice and the size and retention of the head was excellent.

S- The aroma starts out with some bready and grainy malts that have some sweetness to them but not enough to make me worried. I picked up a good amount of lemon and lemon zest in this brew that give it some nice citrus aromas. The hops smells like a 50/50 split of grassy/earthy hops and piney hops, the combination made for a nice hop aroma.

T- The taste starts off with those grainy malts from the aroma that have a slight bready taste to them and it has a very low amount of sweetness. In the middle I pick up the lemon zest which adds some nice citrus notes to this beer, there is also a slight bitter aspirin taste that is a little off putting. The finish has a good amount of bitterness to it but it isn't overly bitter for a Pale ale and there is that nice mixture of hops that I picked up in the aroma that leans more towards the earthy and grassy aspects of the hops with a slight amount of pine thrown in there.

M- Crisp, dry, and Medium bodied. Most of the beers I have had from Short's have had a low amount of carbonation, but this beer had lots of carbonation, I liked it and worked great with this brew.

Overall I thought this was good beer. On BA it's classified as an English IPA, but from what the bottle says and my personal experience I am reviewing this as a Pale Ale, it just has a lot more in common with a Pale Ale then it does with an English IPA. I liked most things about this beer with the drinkability and mouthfeel the best, but I wasn't a fan of the faint aspirin like taste it had, I think this beer would be slightly better without it. This brew did have some great drinkability, it went down a lot smoother and faster then I expected. I also really liked how this beer was well carbonated, most Short's aren't so this was a pleasant surprise. I could see myself buying a six pack of this if it is released next spring, it just tastes like a beer suited for the spring weather. If pale ales are your thing then this may be a good beer for you. I imagine the hops stick out more when this brew is fresh but all in all I feel it held up pretty well and still retained much of its hop flavors. I am chalking this up as another good brew from Short's, you guys are a very versatile brewery and I am glad to have access to all your great beers.

EDIT- Just had the spring 2012 release, and it was just a good as when I reviewed, a good pale ale. They did change the label this year it looks like buddha is sharing the idea of beer with Jesus, pretty weird and much different from the label last year, I like last years label better, I don't really get this one.

06-13-2011 03:19:03 | More by StoutHunter