1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Short's The Golden Rule - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The Golden RuleShort's The Golden Rule

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.80% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: BeerBeing on 02-25-2007)

Gtg642, Nov 19, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

MacStinson, Nov 17, 2011
3.55/5  rDev -5.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Thanks got to my buddy Nate for picking this up for me on his recent trip to Michigan.

I made sure to get the sediment from the bottom of the bottle into my Goose Island pint glass. Hazey pale lemon and orange rind mix. The head is about one finger after the pour. A little IPA lacing stocks to the glass.

Astringent and spicey hops dominate with some toasted malt and unmalted barely aromas. Earthy aroma overall that is refreshing and somewhat bracing.

Starts toasted and unmalted barley, natural flavor. The hops add a little citric flavor as well as grass and earth to mix.

Dry palate adds that bracing effect to the beer. Good bitter, dry Summer EIPA.

scruffwhor, Jul 24, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

Pours a crisp piss yellow... like when you're super dehydrated and your pee is dark. Very little head. Smells hoppy but mild. The nose is incredibly weak. Tastes sweet and a bit bitter. Overall underwhelming but refreshing. Light and well carbonated but the flavour is just a little blah. Overall I'm not impressed but its not awful.

Urbancaver, Jun 16, 2011
3.85/5  rDev +2.4%

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Golden Rule yesterday for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer since it was released but I always ended up grabbing the more obscure beers from Short's instead, so when I saw a couple bottles on the shelf I knew this was my chance to try it or I would have to wait till it was released again. No visible bottling date but I know this was released in the spring of 2011, I hope it hasn't lost all of it's hops. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- I like the label on this beer, it really sticks out and the quote on the bottle suits this beer nicely. It poured a slightly hazy pale golden yellow color with three fingers worth of fluffy, bubbly white head that died down to a thick layer that stayed the rest of the time and it left lots of nice lacing. This has to be one of the better looking beers I have had from Short's, the color was nice and the size and retention of the head was excellent.

S- The aroma starts out with some bready and grainy malts that have some sweetness to them but not enough to make me worried. I picked up a good amount of lemon and lemon zest in this brew that give it some nice citrus aromas. The hops smells like a 50/50 split of grassy/earthy hops and piney hops, the combination made for a nice hop aroma.

T- The taste starts off with those grainy malts from the aroma that have a slight bready taste to them and it has a very low amount of sweetness. In the middle I pick up the lemon zest which adds some nice citrus notes to this beer, there is also a slight bitter aspirin taste that is a little off putting. The finish has a good amount of bitterness to it but it isn't overly bitter for a Pale ale and there is that nice mixture of hops that I picked up in the aroma that leans more towards the earthy and grassy aspects of the hops with a slight amount of pine thrown in there.

M- Crisp, dry, and Medium bodied. Most of the beers I have had from Short's have had a low amount of carbonation, but this beer had lots of carbonation, I liked it and worked great with this brew.

Overall I thought this was good beer. On BA it's classified as an English IPA, but from what the bottle says and my personal experience I am reviewing this as a Pale Ale, it just has a lot more in common with a Pale Ale then it does with an English IPA. I liked most things about this beer with the drinkability and mouthfeel the best, but I wasn't a fan of the faint aspirin like taste it had, I think this beer would be slightly better without it. This brew did have some great drinkability, it went down a lot smoother and faster then I expected. I also really liked how this beer was well carbonated, most Short's aren't so this was a pleasant surprise. I could see myself buying a six pack of this if it is released next spring, it just tastes like a beer suited for the spring weather. If pale ales are your thing then this may be a good beer for you. I imagine the hops stick out more when this brew is fresh but all in all I feel it held up pretty well and still retained much of its hop flavors. I am chalking this up as another good brew from Short's, you guys are a very versatile brewery and I am glad to have access to all your great beers.

EDIT- Just had the spring 2012 release, and it was just a good as when I reviewed, a good pale ale. They did change the label this year it looks like buddha is sharing the idea of beer with Jesus, pretty weird and much different from the label last year, I like last years label better, I don't really get this one.

StoutHunter, Jun 13, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Served on tap at ChurchKey DC into a tulip glass.

Appearance is golden, with hints of orange hues and slight cloudy body. No head presented but leaves the smallest of collars.

Big lemon burst on the nose on this beer, and a grassy hop bitter sense. Quite nice and impressive.

Hops and herbal tea upon tasting, oolong black bitter tea dust finishing with a pine hop sense on the swallow. Quite enjoyable.

Overall interesting beer, I was kind of surprised by it. But strangely can't say much more about it, and I am not exactly drawn to it either, and can't say I'd want to have this again sometime.

smakawhat, Jun 11, 2011
3.58/5  rDev -4.8%

On draft at Churchkey in D.C.

The beer appears light amber in color, with 1/4" of white head.

The aroma is earthy, with scents of malt and pine.

The beer has more malt than hop presence. Flavors of earthy pine, light resin, and malt. The beer has a light bitterness to it, most notably in the finish. An OK beer.

Huhzubendah, Jun 10, 2011

Beer is light amber in color and mildly hazy with a white head of big bubbles and some lacing on the glass.

Aroma is earthy and hoppy with a mild pine note to it.

Beer is malty and thick in body and not very hoppy or bitter at all. The overall feel of the hops are earthy and piny with a nice feel to them but the flavors are not met with any late bitterness. Overall decent EIPA but not a repeat for me.

drabmuh, Jun 03, 2011

Poured into a Le Cheval Blanc pint glass. Pours a hazy golden hue with a big, rocky, two fingered off white head. Head is slow to drop, leaving chunky lacing behind.

Aromas of light citrus hops, lemon, lemon zest, very faint hint of caramel malt.

Flavors of clean, lemony hop bitterness, good backbone of malt. A mild astringency. Finish is medium, with a lemon zest lingering, then turning to a firm bitterness.

Mouthfeel is medium, with a mouthcoating bitterness. Nice bitter tug at the back of the teeth.

Overall, a nice effort toward an english IPA. Nothing too aggressive or offensive. One of Shorts better, non-gimmicky beers.

JamnesCameron, Jun 03, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

I got this beer from kzoobrew. Thanks Kevin!

12oz bottle served in a standard pint glass.

L - hazed straw color with a white head that left spotty lacing.

S - earthy hop aroma.

T - bitter, earthy hops with a asprin-like taste flashing in before finish dry and slightly bitter. Burps are kind of hoppy.

F - medium bodied with a filling feel.

O - a decent beer but I wouldn't drink more than one in a sitting.

JoeyBeerBelly, May 27, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A - WOW, one of the most aggressive heads I've ever seen. Head pour very fast and very strong. Brilliant white colored head loosely compacteted soapy bottom with a nice foamy top. Brew is slightly murky copper color with yellow and orange hues. Nice lacing.

S - Very sweet, almost smells woody. Grassy and very Lemon. Smells like a smooth Sour brew. Is it sour? Apple, peach and earthy tones...

T - Very fruity. Lots of lime, lemon, and orange. Maybe a little kiwi too... Quite good! For the ABV I would expect it to drink much smoother. A very smooth and misdirected IPA.

M - Very light and full of air. A rather heavy Belgian Golden Ale. Quite good, but also quite bitter for the style. Very buttery, smooth and delicious.

O - Drank just below room temperature a is quite delicious... For the style it drink very fast and nicely. A little better hop balance could improve brew drastically, but a nice brew nonetheless. Good brew in a good trade! Thanks Another6Pack, I look forward to round two!

chugalug06, May 21, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Massive thanks goes out to beeruser for sharing this one with funkydelic and I at an impromptu tasting! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller sampler wine glass. Poured a hazy straw yellow witha minimal white head. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, fruit, and fruity hop. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruity hop, and banana. It had a light feel on the palate with medium carbonation. Overall this was a pretty good brew. The hop character on this one really shined through for me and when blended with the other components of it made it quite enjoyable. This one definitely had a dominant fruit aspect going on here. Definitely worth your time to try this one.

thagr81us, May 20, 2011
4.22/5  rDev +12.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a hazy golden yellow color. One and a half finger white head shows medium retention (a lot more so than other Short's beers). Specks of lace are left all over the glass and some slide back into the glass.

S- A grainy like underbody to this beer is overwhelmed by a huge earthy grassy note in the front of the beer. Light citrus undertones in the back half of the aroma. This shows a little more earthy hint in the ending with a light hint of alcohol.

T- A dulled earthy hop bite comes out in the front of the beer. Hints of grain with light pepper notes in the middle of the beer. Light bready hints also play a light part in the middle of the beer. The citrus hops show themselves on the start of the ending which fade toward a light honey tone and crisp piney hop bite. Light alcohol shows itself toward the ending which warms the stomach.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Earthy hops and light malt base shows itself on the palate. With the aftertaste being mostly alcohol, piney hops, and hints of grain. This beer was very well balanced for the style I thought. No off flavors were present when I was drinking this beer. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

O- This was a good drinking beer. Nothing over the top at all just a nice flavorful beer. The ABV never showed itself except for the drying on the palate at times. A pleasant exception to my rule of not really caring for a lot of the English IPA style. This had enough bite to make it a memorable tasting beer.

alleykatking, May 03, 2011

Thank's to that Kzoobrew for hooking me up with an assortment of Shorts.

A - very cloudy, but the head is nice and sticky. It looks like a Hefe, with an IPA head.

S - hops. A little fair at colder temp, but as it warms the hop profile come through a bit. A slight fruitiness finishes the beer.

T - the malt beins the taste. Slight sweetness. I taste a blend of simcoe and citra in the hops that finish, but I could be wrong.

M - it's nice. The carbonation level is good, the beer is sticky. I like that with my IPA's.

O - just a good IPA. Not amazing, but just good.

abecall98, Apr 30, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A -- cloudy, hazy golden color....

S -- citrus-lemon rind with some hops up front...

T -- bitter, dry finish...

M -- Medium bodied easier drinker

O -- Not bad.. Something that's easy to drink and worth the try. I probably won't be going out of way to search it out there as there's a lot of beers out there :)

vande, Apr 30, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

poured cold from the bottle a murky straw gold to a sun king shaped pint glass with a 1/2 finger smooth, small bubbled, white head

big aroma of citrus and lemon rind.

citrus hops forward, puckery bitter to the sides of the tongue, hints of sour lemon and honey.

medium bodied, bitter, creamy smooth, big carbonation.

drinkable - yep.

overall - nice for a change, but the bitter isnt for me.

robwestcott, Apr 29, 2011
3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

thank you sarro for the extra!
poured into an Allagash Cervoise Footed Glass. Aggressive pour yeilds a 1/4inch white bubbly head which quickly dissipates to a thin cap leaving light lacing on the glass and is a hazy golden straw in color. I get earthy floral notes in the nose with a very faint bitter citrus scent as well.

The beer goes down smooth with a very bitter finish taste of earth and not sure maybe lavender. Mouthfeel is light and smooth with medium carbonation A highly sessionable beer that I would love to have on a nice hot day.

Overall I would say this is a top notch session beer not too high abv nice and light but still tasty.

Nuggethops, Apr 27, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +3.2%

Served in a Shorts Pub Pint.

Appearance- It pours a great Golden in color, hazy and a decent head with little lacing.

Smell- Earthy and hoppy. Some tart citrus and little pine oil-esque.

Taste- The nose comes through on the palate. A tart and bitter citrus comes through with an earthiness. Like 1 part Grapefruit to 3 parts Lemon, add a few Pine Needles. In a good way! Very good drinkability. I love the ABV on this as well.

Mouthfeel- Sits on the palate tingling the tongue for a few seconds, then some of the hops disapate.

Overall- A very good beer. A good summertime session beer or a good palate cleanser.

GrandCruDrew, Apr 20, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

I got this in an awesome trade with lewis1rg. Thanks again Ryan!

A: Certainly cloudy and then some, and.... well.... golden in appearance. The smallish, 1/4 finger or so pillowy white head stayed frothy throughout the session.

S: Tangerine upfront, with a bit of yeast that was very reminiscent of a lavender soap. Not very potent, but still rather nice.

T: A good bit of bitterness, but the lavender wasn't as detectable and I was left with a bit more soap taste than I wanted. Too bad. Still, there was a nice, fresh piney and citrus overtone to the thing in general.

M: A bit more carbonated than some of the Short's beers I've sampled here recently, which was a good change of pace. The lacing was moderate, and the bitterness really offset the sweeter elements.

O: Pretty good, but not great. However, this is probably the "Citizen Kane" of the organic beers I've tasted here lately...

Chaney, Apr 14, 2011
3.9/5  rDev +3.7%

A- Pours a muddy brown with a huge white head. Lots of sediment and medium carbonation. A rather nice looking beer.

S- Smells mildly floral. I really cannot smell all that much but it smells very earthy almost as if this is some kind of super organic dirt beer.

T- There is almost no hop presence at first but there is a mild bitterness afterwards. This beer almost reminds me of good humans as in it really has the fresh from the ground tastes to it. It has a really nice fruity taste to it but I can't quite put my finger on it. There also is a little bit of fig.

M- Real refreshing, would be nice on a hot summer day. A very refreshing medium cabonated beer.

D- I could drink this throughout the summer but it is missing something. I think it could either use a little more of a hop presence or just be sweeter, it is kind of in between. Nonetheless worth trying! Seriously though the label is awesome and is worth getting at least for it.

beerhan, Apr 13, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz bottle poured into a mini snifter on 03/25/2011.
This brew is a blend of hay and honey in color. White head is perched above, dissipates quickly and leaves only slight lacing. Smells of sweet honey, spices, and an interesting hop blend (citrus, pine, earthy). The first taste I pick up is grass- perhaps the earthy hops. This beer is slightly balanced by the sweeter maltiness and honey notes. Dry finish. Medium body and medium/high carbonation. Decent but not great.

gnemesis, Apr 11, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

Thanks goes out to kzoobrew for this 12oz bottle. Into a DFH Signature glass.

A: Pours a nice golden color, fairly hazy, with about a quarter of an inch of head that completely fades away into an island of bubbles and a few spots of lacing.

S: Intense English hope note, lots of grassy, earth notes. Reminds me quite a bit of Boulder Brewing Co.'s Cold Hop. I don't know how else to describe but as grass clippings that have sat for a day or two, not fresh, but that kind of funky/earthy quality they take on after a few days. Quite herbal from the hops, and not a whole lot else really shows itself in the nose, maybe a bit of grainy malts, but this is definitely a hop forward beer.

T: Again a very hop forward beer, lots of black pepper and currants mix in with the grassy and generally spicy character of the beer. Slight bit of graininess and honey way at the end, but mainly just a simple base malt bill that complements the hops nicely. Pretty light bitterness, just enough to balance things out, the dryness of the beer aids with the bitterness. This is pretty damn tasty.

M: Lighter in body, medium carbonation and perfectly dry. This is excellent here.

O: I have really enjoyed this beer, its a nice change of pace from the American IPA hop profiles (cascade, simcoe, amarillo, etc.). I could see myself having quite a few pints of this, and potentially trying to homebrew something in this vein of beers.

Thanks Kevin!

pokesbeerdude, Apr 08, 2011
2.88/5  rDev -23.4%

Once again, thanks to gnemesis for hooking up the Short's for me.

a - Popped the bottle and poured the contents into my duvel taster tulip. Color was a transparent straw yellow with visible steady even carbonation and a thin bubbly white head. Looks pretty saison-ish.

s - Malty, very pale ale-ish. Earthy for sure, but not hoppy as the label suggested by saying "with thorough eary hoppiness." Smells quite pleasant.

t -Hmm...kind of swill tasting. Mostly a malty pale ale flavor. Some grassiness and lemon but no piny hops at all.

m - Good carbonation, bit of a macro beer bite.

o - In a blind taste test, I would probably say that this was a macro. It is drinkable, but really tows the line on average. Don't know if I've had many English IPAs, but the BA description says "hoppy" and this beer is clearly not hoppy. Pretty average pale ale tasting.

cosmicevan, Apr 04, 2011
3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A big thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) for sending me yet another Short's beer. I do believe I have tried more Short's beers than any other brewery. Cheers!.

Appearance - Pours a relatively clear golden color into my SA Perfect Pint. About a finger of head is achieved with an average pour that garners about a finger of head that dissipates quickly leaving slight lacing.

Smell - Lots of pale malts, slight fruity, herbal, and floral hops. Just a hint of lemony citrus aromas, but overall the pale and biscuity malt with caramel.

Taste - An interesting flavor. As with the nose, heavy pale malts and biscuity flavors at the forefront. No real bitter hops but definite grassy and floral notes. Just an ever so slight presence of pears and green apple citrus, less caramel than expected, and bitterness at the end.

Mouthfeel - Medium to lighter bodied, decent carbonation.

Overall - Glad I got to try this, but not really my style. I was a bit overwhelmed by the pale malts that smack you in the face at the beginning of the sip, but the medium to tail end of the sip has nice balance to it.

SpdKilz, Mar 28, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +4.5%

Pours out a golden amber color with a thin white head. It has good retention and good lacing to it. It has a pleasant honey lemony orange aroma with some earthy hops. The taste starts out with a grassy taste followed by some honey lemon and finishes off with an orange and floral hops taste. The mouthfeel starts off kind of watery since this seems to be a light to medium bodied brew and leaves a dry, but sticky feel to the lips. Another good IPA from Short's.

DannyDan, Mar 26, 2011