Short's The Stellar Ale - Short's Brewing Company

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: BeerBeing on 02-25-2007

Reviews by LilBeerDoctor:
3.7/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Reviewed on 6/29/2010. On tap at Shorts. Pours a cloudy orange with a small white head. Aroma of hop oils, lots of citrus, and grassy hops. Super hoppy aroma (with perhaps a hint of acetone?). Flavor of sweet citrus and malt with hop oils. This tastes a little stronger than 6% but is still a tasty IPA.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.71/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev 0%

4.42/5  rDev +11.6%

Brought this home to PA from my trip to Michigan. It made it in great shape, and it is great.

A - Copper color beverage poured vigorously from my growler leaved a one-finger head. The head dissipates but a thin layer remains and eventually leaves a ring of foam just around the edge as you drink. There is some lacing present, but not a ton.

S - Smells strongly of piney hops, with a sweet smell in the end of the inhale. I love the smell, it reminds me more of an IPA, but trust me I'm not complaining.

T - Malt in the very front followed by a big kick of hops with a bitter end. Awesome to say the least, traditionalists would probably say too much hops for the style, but it's Short's, trust me it's great.

M - Light to medium bodied. Drying sensation after the swallow and carbonation is great.

D - Overall for all the hops I found this to be an easy drinking beer. This beer has a ton of flavor for an APA which I applaud. My wife says she thinks this would be great to drink all summer long. I agree, but unfortunately I don't live near Bellaire, MI.

Great job Short's!!

4.41/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Lingering bitter finish. Was very impressed.

4.25/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

3.77/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

3.58/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Stellar Ale last week in their new winter variety pack. I've never had the chance to try this beer and I'm happy it made it into the variety pack. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a Short's Imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it's very dark and hard to make out, but when you look at it under the light it goes well with the name and I think it's eye catching because of how blacked out the label is. It poured a nice orange color that took on more of an orange amber color when held to the light with two fingers worth of bubbly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sticky and patchy lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness with the hops being the first to show up and they impart some green hop aromas with some fruity citrus rind and light tropical fruit like aromas with some earthy hop aromas showing up in the background and the green hop aromas seem to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, pale malt, light biscuit and bready aromas with some doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, but I wish the hop profile was a little more balanced.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the green hops still sticking out the most, but this time there's also a good amount of spicy hops that show up. Up next comes a nice doughy yeast aroma that goes right into the malts which impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single aspect sticking out the most. On the finish there's a higher amount of medium bitterness that lingers into the aftertaste for a little with some bready malt, spicy hop and and green hop like flavors. This was a nice tasting beer, but I still wish the hop profile was more balanced.

M- Fairly smooth, not too crisp, dry on the finish, on the lighter side of being medium bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but it felt a little flat to me and I wish the carbonation was more lively.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and nice example of the style, i thought it was a pretty straight forward India Pale Ale, that was on the bitter side of the style, but it had a couple aspects that held this beer back. This beer had ok drinkability, it was fairly smooth, not too crisp, dry on the finish, not filling and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention, but I think one would be enough for me, anymore than that and flat mouthfeel might start to wear on me. What I like the most about this beer appearance, this was one good looking beer, all the way from the color to the lacing. What I liked the least about this beer was the carbonation, it was just too low for the style and I also wish the hop profile was more balanced. I don't think I would buy this beer again on it's own, it's not hard for me to find a pale ale I like much more. I think it's worth a try, but I can't say I would recommend this as a great Pale Ale. All in all I liked this beer, but I didn't love, it seemed like for almost every good aspect there was an aspect that I didn't like to counter it, so in the end I was pretty neutral about this beer. It's not a favorite Short's brew and it falls in the middle as far as the style goes. This beer wasn't bad, but I think it could still use a little work, better luck next time guys.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Stellar Ale is served up a light copper color with a shiny and frothy head. The cap of foam has decent staying power and leaves some nice lace on the glass as I drink the beer.

The aroma is very enjoyable with plenty of orangey and floral Amarillo hops coming through. Sometimes Amarillo can have a bit of a powdery sort of aroma to them and this beer definitely has that going on. Luckily I enjoy that characteristic and also enjoy how it plays off of the just slightly toasty malt character.

The flavor mimics the aroma quite well, except that the hop character changes to become a bit more sweet and floral with the citrus notes a bit more subdued. It is a very enjoyable flavor profile with great balance and integration.

The mouthfeel is what you would expect for a beer that is stuck between IPA and APA. Medium, but leaning closer to the light end of that classification. The carbonation is subdued, giving the beer and nice smoothness. The finish is dry with plenty of lingering hop flavors.

I really dig this beer and after having it again after not ordering one for a few years I have to say that in my opinion it is the best Short's pale ale I have had. Definitely a great beer that is fairly sessionable.

4.2/5  rDev +6.1%

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%

4.06/5  rDev +2.5%

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%

4.3/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.68/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Short's The Stellar Ale from Short's Brewing Company