Short's The Woodmaster - Short's Brewing Company

Short's The WoodmasterShort's The Woodmaster

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  9.50% ABV

Beer added by: BelgianAleSlut on 06-29-2007

Specialty Double Brown Ale.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Short's The Woodmaster Alström Bros
Ratings: 338 | Reviews: 135
4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer has been one year aged in a cellar. Upon opening it is still very maple forward. There is very little head even on an aggressive pour.
The color is definitely on par for a brown. It's not clear but it's not cloudy however you can see through it unlike a porter or a stout. First sip has a great amount of alcohol and lots of dark fruit. While the alcohol is the most dominate flavor, its not hot alcohols. Everything is very mellow and enjoyable. Past the figs and dates the pecans stand out more than the maple. The maple is present but it's more ambiguous and leaves you searching for all that makes this beer so good. It has a subtle but enjoyable carbonation.
I enjoy boozy olde ales and this one aged a year is definitely one of my favs. I enjoy it fresh as well but the year makes it a much more complex beer.

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Appearance is dark brown, pretty much exactly what one would hope for a maple beer. Aroma is burnt caramel and maple, promising a flavorful, satisfying beer. Unfortunately, that promise ends up broken after a drink or two. The alcohol (9.5%) is not well-hidden at all, and a booze flavor predominates with just a little roasted malt and pecans in the aftertaste. I couldn't get through a bottle of this on its own, but having a meal to counterbalance the alcohol made it a little better.

Considering the high bar set by most Short's beers, this was a disappointment. A few months (or more) of ageing, though, might smooth out the flavors and improve it.

3.77/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Pours a mostly opaque, murky brown color, slightly reminiscent of a quad with less red tones in it; some light shines through the edges, but not much. Beige colored head settles down quick and leaves just a little bit of lacing on the way down. Aroma is full of some damp chocolate notes, toasted malts, faint nuts, and rubbing alcohol. The alcoholic aroma is actually quite strong - I don't smell much maple syrup as advertised. The taste, however, delivers with a bit of that maple goodness I was looking for; very nutty, woodsy, and maple flavored. Some toasted malts to back it up; light earthiness and not much of a hop profile to speak of. However, that rubbing alcohol flavor was abundant and almost a little too distracting, which was unfortunate. It was almost a little like nail polish remover - just kind of strong and in the way, but not enough to ruin the beer for me. Medium body, medium-high carbonation.

Pretty tasty beer - unfortunately, I think the alcoholic body masks some of the flavors a bit, and if that were toned down a little, this beer would be pretty damn good.

2.78/5  rDev -27.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottled on January 2, 2012.
Poured into a pint glass on August 30, 2012

A: It's nothing special really. It is essentially what you would expect from a Brown Ale. But there is very little lacing and head retention, but I suppose that is a common trend with most of Short's brews. Even still, it is not a particularly "sticky" beer either, so the lacing doesn't really stay on the glass...a bit disappointing.

S: Not very good. I almost didn't drink this beer because of the smell alone! Sour milk is prominent scent up front with some dark chocolate, syrup, coffee, and burnt sugar like scent wavering around it. I know the beer has aged a bit, but honestly- it has hardly aged at all! Very odd smelling beer. But it isn't horribly off-putting I guess (I mean, I did still drink it).

T: This is a completely different story since the taste is actually quite alright. First taste is oddly of cherries to me with something of a coke like taste coming in a bit after. There is a subtle "nuttiness" in the background which I am sure is from the pecans. It later evolves into something of a coffee like taste. Syrup shows up much later in the tasting session but isn't prominent enough considering that it is a major ingredient in the beer. Regardless, it's a truly odd tasting beer, almost resembling a brown ale/cider fusion. Strange, but not necessarily bad.

M: Wet and silky on first taste, but quickly dries out, creating a kind of powdery feel on tongue. Bitterness is present and caresses the sides and back of the tongue. The dryness the brew leaves is a bit unpleasant though.

Overall, this beer was below average to me by Short's standards. I don't see myself buying it again anytime soon. But it may be worth trying for the odd experience it embodies alone.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

A 25.7 oz bottle, from the 2007 bottling; purchased at the brewpub three years ago this week. # 631 of 936.

A: The brown ale is dark, a syrupy chocolate/caramel look, obscured and opaque. A thin head, mildly off-white, is just a thin band around the glass. Not back for being as old as my middle child.

S: Maple syrup, toasted pecans, and caramel. The richness of the aroma is very reminiscent of Utopias, the maple syrup adding a luxurious texture to the smell. Brown sugar adds to the sweet spiciness of the nose.

T: A little long in the tooth, but just a little. That age has mellowed out maple syrup a spell, coaxing more out of the nuttiness. That nuttiness is chewy and darker, a full flavor that segues into the nutty caramel flavors of the base brown ale. The maple syrup is sweet, a dark richness against the nuts. A little thin at times, the ale still holds up remarkably well. The maple syrup aspect lingers, a dry sweetness that packs a boozy punch at times. An excellent beer to nurse through.

M: The maple syrup and pecan are a good combination, nutty and sweet. Spicy brown sugar and raisins add to the wall of flavor. Damned, this one held up well.

2.66/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A - Maybe a third of a finger of large bubble off yellow head. Falls to nothing. Body is slightly cloudy caramel color.

S - I think it is a typical Short's scent, but not one that is very pleasant to me and I don't know if that is true. Sour milk with some wood and biscuit.

T - That sour milk is still there, but not as strong. Good malt flavor that goes with that biscuit-ness.

M - Good carbonation with moderate body.

O - Not that great as the sourness dominates. The malty backbone helps, but not enough to make it great.

3.67/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

thanks to duff27 for sharing this bottle. Thanks duff!

reviewed from notes of 5/23/12.

Appearance: opaque medium brown bodied beer with large head. Head is approximately 2 fingers tall and is an off white color. Spotty lacing is left as head falls down to a thin cap.

Smell: nutty, earthy, and brown sugar sweetness in the nose. Nose is not as expressive as I would have hoped for, I guess the best word for the nose is it is slightly bland.

Taste: Get a little hint of maple and pecan immediate when the beer hint the toungue. It is fast fleeting though. More prominent characteristics of the beer are nuttiness, toasted malt, and an earthy note. Hint of brown sugar. Finishes is a bitter kick and a grainy note that amplifies the bitter aftertaste. Maple comes off as earthy and not much sweetness, but it is rich.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied beer with low carbonation. easy to drink; you would not think its almost 10%. Slight booze note present here.

Overall: Was hoping for a little more than what this was. A brown ale brewed with maple syrup and toasted pecans should be a pretty robust beer. Not what I imagined, but not not horrible either. If I did not read the label I would not have noticed or been looking for maple and pecan flavors.

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

No idea what vintage this is. 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Dark brown body that lets light through. 2 finger high light khaki head settles into some edging. Weak retention, but tight bubbling.

S - Roasty and sweet. Maple syrup isn't present, but it is nutty with some burnt brown sugar and caramel malts. Warming and sort of out of balance.

T - Each sip has this one dimensional flavor that lasts through the entire time. Brown sugar, caramel, and toasted nuts. Its bizarre how the flavor doesn't change or break down. Finish is warming with a lingering nuttiness. High carbonation and a medium mouth feel.

O - I did not like this beer all that much. It seems to be a bit too sweet and nutty with a massive amount of carbonation.

4.5/5  rDev +16.9%

Rereviewed Sept 17, 2014 - Super hoppy balance from cellared beer twin of previous review. Still 4.5.

3.7/5  rDev -3.9%

Whenever I hear that Shorts is coming out with a new beer, I always try to get my hands on it. The beers are always at the very least, interesting. This beer is no different. Short’s describes The Woodmaster as a “High gravity brown ale fermented with Michigan maple syrup & toasted pecans”.

The beer pours a very dark brown color. It’s almost to the point where I could mistake it for a porter. It’s well carbonated and a crème colored pillow of head forms and lasts for a few minutes. The head disappears and leaves a healthy amount of lacing along the sides of the glass.

Although this is brewed with maple syrup, the smell of it is very faint. There’s sweetness to the smell, but it comes off more as a milky sweetness. You can almost tell the type of mouthfeel this is going to have before you even drink it. As it warms that same sweetness comes out more, but very subtlety little by little. When it finally hits the optimal point, it’s smelly creamy with a little bit of syrup and pecans in the background.

At first taste it’s mildly sweet and you can taste the syrup a little bit. The syrup doesn’t make a huge impression, but it’s there. It then takes a dive into bitterness territory with still containing that slight sweetness. The bitterness splits off into an alcohol burn which melds itself with the bitterness– But again, nothing over powering. I’d say the most intense flavor that I’m getting is the herbal bitter finish which lasts for a substantial amount of time. It’s a rollercoaster and I don’t really know what to think of it. I’m intrigued, but mostly because I’m slightly confused with what just happened.

The mouthfeel is very light considering the alcohol content (9.5%). I could probably drink a few of these without a problem. Although I feel that it would probably get a little more difficult after 3.

Overall, it’s a good beer, but I’ve had much better from Shorts. My anticipation going into it was that I it would be much sweeter. However, the herbal woody taste – although not bad – really surprised me. I probably wouldn’t seek this beer out, but was glad I tried it.

4.12/5  rDev +7%

A - Poured into a nonic, it has a very pretty mahogany color. Some spotty lacing, and only a soapy ringlet around the outside.

S - Caramel, brown sugar, pecans, and warming/crisp alcohol. Inviting, it screams wintery desert beer.

T - Over the top. Lots of brown sugar and maple. Pecan fights for attention over these, but sort of loses out. Very rich.

M - Messy in the cheeks (ha) and has a warming finish. Nice mellow carb.

O - I love all of the flavors presented, I just don't have much of a sweet tooth. This is just too rich for me, like the beer equivalent of pecan pie or somesuch. Certainly worth a turn of the head, though.

4.08/5  rDev +6%

Pours a deep dark brown with a slightly caramel colored head that dissipates quickly.

Definitely get the pecans on the nose. Some maple, brown sugar. Caramel, very sweet and pleasant.

Lots of pecan in the taste, slight warming booze. Nutty finish. Hint of coffee. Maple in the finish.

Mouthfeel is medium full, a little slick.

Delicious, doesn't over do it on the maple. It's understated but present throughout. Nice winter beer.

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

A - Clear dark brown with a nice 1/2 inch of tan colored head with excellent lacing.

S - Well it smells very sweet with pecans, toasted malts, syrup, and a touch of brown malts. Maybe some chocolate but I got to reach for it.

T - Alcohol is pretty strong in the taste which is kind of a let down. Quickly it moves to pecans and then finishes sweet with what I hope is the syrup. Wished it was as balanced as the soft parade...

M - Medium to heavy. It's weird because I can taste the alcohol but I get little to no burn.

Overall I was kind of excited to try this, then reviews of bozzyness let me down a bit, finally the confirm that it taste boozy really sucks. So far my least favorite shorts beer. I guess to do an imperial brown ale with this high ABV then avoid boozy flavors is impossible.

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

$2.19 for a 12oz single @ BevCo. Fermented with maple syrup and toasted pecans. No ABV per the bottle or website.

Pours out to a clear dark mahogany, forming a modest yellow head with good retention and nice creamy sheets of lacing. Appears to be filtered, no sediment in the bottle. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is of a strong brown ale with notes of carob, milk chocolate, earthy roasted malts, and definitely a nuttiness although I couldn't tell you it was pecans. The mouthfeel is rich with a dense body. The taste opens with carob and dark fruit...raisins, dates and figs, brown sugar and then is followed by a brief wave of higher alcohols, giving it some yeasty rotting pear and pepper flavors. Moderately sweet. Mild Herbal woody bitterness. Finish of leather.

Hrmmm, an interesting beer. This would be a great beer if it were not for the boozy fusel alcohols with limit it's drinkability, and if it were a touch less sweet and lower alcohol.

3.43/5  rDev -10.9%

Thanks to StormKing47 for hooking me up with a 12oz bottle of this. Poured into a snifter, the brew appears a dark brown color with more of a mahogany clarity about it as it is held to the light. It displays a finger of tan head that quickly recedes to a thin film across the top and leaves fingers of lace sticking to the glass.

The aroma has a bit of tangy alcohol that I have noticed is fairly similar to other shorts brews. It mixes with some nutty grain sweetness. A bit of toffee and vanilla mix with a solid amount of brown sugar. As it warms up, it gets a little toasty smelling and some herbal hops emerge with a note of sulfur across the back.

The taste is herbal and nutty with a grain flavor that is toasty. Some brown sugar flavoring is present along with more nutty grain aspects that never quite get to be sweet. The alcohol is prevalent with a warmth and mild fusel character. The finish is primarily a mixture of herbal hops and a bitterness that includes enough alcohol to almost make this medicinal with a hint of raw woodiness.

This is a medium bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. It is quite bold and shows hints of the character and ingredients displayed on the bottle. However, the description sounds better than this brew tastes. I think if the alcohol was toned down there could be more focus on the flavoring without it getting caught up in all the alcohol character.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

I picked up a bottle of Short's The Woodmaster last week for $2.19 at The Lager Mill. I was bummed that I missed out on this beer last year, so when I saw it on the shelf this year I knew I had to pick up a couple bottles, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but I know it's fresh. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label on this beer looks good and it has a northern Michigan winter feel to it, I like it. It poured a nice deep brown color that took on a ruby red color when held to the light and it had three fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing. This is a damn good looking American Brown Ale.

S- The aroma seems prefect for a cold winter night, it starts off with some sweet roasted malts that impart some nice roasted, chocolate, and vanilla aromas. Next comes the maple syrup and the pecans, both stick out enough to notice them and the pecans add some nice nutty complexity to the aroma. I didn't pick up any hops, but I did pick a slight alcohol aroma. This beer has a great rich, robust and nutty aroma that I really enjoyed and the aroma suits the cold winter months nicely.

T- The taste follows the nose nicely but it doesn't seem as robust as it did in the aroma. It starts off with loads of sweet medium roasted malts that impart some nice roasty flavors that makes a nice base for this beer. Next comes the maple syrup and the pecans which are there but the maple syrup doesn't stick out as much as it did in the aroma and the pecans impart a very nice nutty flavor. On the finish comes a slight coffee taste along with a little bit of booze and a low amount of medium bitterness, the aftertaste was full of roasted malts and nuts. This beer tasted good, but it wasn't as robust and complex as the aroma was.

M- Smooth, slightly cream, slightly cloying, it was medium bodied but still felt a little thin and it had the perfect amount of carbonation. If the body was a little thicker the mouthfeel would be spot on.

Overall I thought that this was an above average beer and a pretty good American Brown Ale that was quite unique for it's style and it fit the winter months nicely. This beer had pretty good drinkability, I could go for another one, but after that I think the sweetness and alcohol percentage would start to get to me, but it went down pretty smooth with not too much alcohol showing up for 9.5% beer. What I liked most about this beer was the appearance and the aroma, they were both just about as good as it gets, I could smell this beer all day, that's how good the aroma was. What I liked least about this beer was how the body felt a little thin and watery and how the taste wasn't as robust and complex as the aroma. I will for sure buy this again if it is released next year, I am glad I went back and got a six pack. This beer is worth giving a try if your are a fan of nutty brown ales, this one stands out instead of blending into the crowd. I enjoyed this beer, I like the complexity that the maple syrup and pecans added, it was just enough to make for a good flavor and great aroma without feeling overdone. Short's really did a good job on this beer it seems like they have a special gift for knowing exactly what added ingredients work best with what styles to make for a truly unique and memorable beer, and to me that's what Short's does best, they make memorable beers and this one is no exception, great job guys.

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Appearance: Dark brown/ Ruby with a tan head that lingers

Smell: Nutty chocolate with a semi-sweetness with no real hops and syrup. Nice aroma.

Taste: Upfront cherry and vanilla, mildly nutty and slightly fruity. Woody and maple syrup strong after that with a dryish finish.

Mouthfeel: Taste the alcohol but it's balanced. Medium body and carbonation.

3.87/5  rDev +0.5%

Purchased from Fitzgerald's Hotel and Restaurant in Eagle River, MI. Poured from 12 oz. bottle into Founder's snifter.

A: Pours a deep brown with almost a crimson hue around the edges. Nice looking white head caps the beer nicely, sticking around for a good while, leaving behind a nice ring along the sides of the glass.

N: A really nice prominent vanilla undertone giving way to a sweet, nutty aroma. Very enticing. Decent amount of roast with some really nice chocolate.

T: Faint nuts come through a roasted malt body, with hints of vanilla, nut and some mild milk chocolate. Good amount of bitterness coming through.

M: Feels a bit thin, but for the alcohol content, it's a really easy drinking beer. Great aftertaste of wood and nuts.

D and O: Nice beer. The nose is really the showcase, after that, not a WHOLE lot going on. A really nice Brown Ale. I wouldn't put that up there with the Good Humans from Short's, but close. Both Imperial Brown's, but on their own different side of the spectrum.

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to wintbs379 for this bottle.

A: Pours a deep chestnut brown with about 1/2 finger of khaki colored head. The foam settles nicely along the top of the beer. There is very little lacing as it drinks.

S: It smells a little sweet with hints of roast and vanilla. There is also an unmistakable bit of tartness in the nose. I'm really hoping this beer hasn't "re-fermented". But then again... it is a Short's beer, so I would be surprised.

T: The initial hit is sweet malt mixed with some mild tartness. I then get some oily nuttiness, a little buttery, and a touch of booze. There might be a bit of a flavor issue with this brew, but it's not terrible.

M: Medium bodied beer. This beer is a bit brash right up front, but it turns quite silky and coating towards the finish. Like I mentioned earlier, it's a touch oily.

O: This beer is nothing special. I has high hopes based on the label description, but had no idea what to expect considering it's from Short's. I'd like to try this beer again in the future, but not from a bottle.

3.79/5  rDev -1.6%

A- A beautiful beer! Very dark red, but no cloudiness or opacity. Luscious 1/2 inch head with big, light-tan bubbles.

S- Smells funky, pungent. Syrupy, a little booziness.

T- Syrup, candy, and christmas spice. Nice and sweet, the booze is not detectable. It's "fermented with Michigan maple syrup & toasted pecans." The sweetness imparted by the maple syrup and the light nuttiness of the pecans comes to me as *surprise* ... Candied pecans!

M- Medium-body, well-balanced on the malts. Has that oily feel that often comes with high-ABV stuff.

O- Another adventurous Short's idea. This one worked. The nuttiness is perfectly balanced with our beloved traditional ingredients, and the maple syrup sweetens it well, hiding the alcohol and bringing in flavors reminiscent of the smell of a candy shop. The richness, strength, and oiliness make it a sipper, but this is good, because the complex AFTERtaste is as enjoyable as any I can remember: pure pecan and maple... indeed Woody.

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

Dark brown color, translucent, with a half a finger head with small bubbles. Smells of nuts, chocolate, maple syrup and malt. Taste is nutty, chocolatey, slightly coffee and I get very little maple syrup. Mouthfeel is on the heavy side and is carbonated lightly. Overall, this is a great beer and I will seek this out every year. A great winter warmer. If you were never able to get Cashew Mountain Brown, this one ranks right up there with it in my opinion. I would love to see this one barrel-aged.

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A - Pours Amberish color with about two fingers of off-white head. After the head subsides, there is a little bit of lacing.

S - Smells tart, the maple syrup is bold, dark fruits, molasses, pecans and kind of a wood/spice smell as well.

T - Tastes better than the smell, something about the tart maple syrup smell turned me off at first however the taste is pretty good. Typical brown ale taste with a hint of maple syrup and sugary/candied pecans. The alcohol taste is pretty well masked.

M - Light body, mild carbonation - finishes a little bitter.

O - While I wasn't a huge fan of the smell, it's a pretty interesting brown ale. It's sweetness and ABV certainly doesnt make it a session beer for me but I don't mind it.

4.4/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle in to a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark red that can be described as slightly dense.
Just under a finger of a cream colored head. The head holds steady.

Smell: It's a sweet nutty smell, the nuttiness in very present in addition to hints of fruit.

Taste: I would say splendid! I was anxious to try this beer and I was not disappointed. The smell is a sneak peak of what you get, which is...nutty and full of sweet winter goodness!

Mouthfeel: This was my only disappointment with this beer, I love the Shorts earthiness that you get in most of their beers, but this one lacks that. Perhaps it's just this style of beer. Don't get me wrong it still has a good mouthfeel, just not what I was anticipating.

Overall: A great Brown Ale with a little kick!! A true Winter Warmer! I thoroughly enjoyed this beer and encourage you to give it a try!

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a murky reddish brown with a finger of off white head and good retention.

Smell: Very sweet, mildly tart malt with a ton of dark fruit notes. There is also a molasses note with some wood and spices.

Taste: Not quite as sweet as the smell, but the sweet malt and dark fruit notes are still there. There is a lot of alcohol and a mildly tart flavor to this beer as well. There seems to be a woodiness to this beer as well. Finish is bitter with a lot of hot alcohol.

Mouthfeel: Medium body with smooth carbonation and a dry finish.

Overall: Way too much alcohol. I would have liked the more complex flavors to have room to shine. Oh well.

4.04/5  rDev +4.9%

appearance - dark mahogany in color, hardly any head, minimal lacing.

smell - lots of wood perhaps this is from the walnuts and pecan shells that im also getting and a bit of booze. dark malts, caramel malts.

taste - much of the same with some maple syrup and chocolate syrup. very interesting.

mouthfeel - full bodied, a little cloying, minor carbonation. got an old english barleywine like feel. but the cloying has a bit of wood residue likeness which im not digging.

Short's The Woodmaster from Short's Brewing Company