Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

to view more.
Ratings: 194 | Reviews: 96
Reviews by Avagadro:
3.06/5  rDev -9.5%

A: Short's Bloody Beer boasts the most unique color I've seen in my glass, with its murky blood-orange body penetrated by a touch of lazy lacing. There is no head whatsoever.

S: The aroma is... surprisingly ale-like, and dominated by toffee and biscuit.

T: The malty ale qualities persist, with more caramel and toast. I get hints of pepper and horseradish here and there, but, for the most part, they are so faint that they are imperceptible.

M: The body is slightly bigger than usual, due to the tomato, but is fairly lackluster otherwise. I was hoping for some viscosity, as I enjoy in my Zing-Zang bloodies.

O: Short's played me wrong here, promoting a beer that, by name, was sure to be extreme in nature. What I received, however, was a duck out. They took the flavors boasted on the packaging; the pepper, tomatoes, dill, and horseradish; and dialed them down so low that no one would be able to tell that they were there. I have to admit, the prospect of a Bloody Mary beer frightened me, despite my passion for this mid-day indulgence. Hopefully someone out there can make one that actually resembles this delicious cocktail.

2.29/5  rDev -32.2%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

750ml bottle. # 258 of 865

I've had this before at various fests and always loved it. This is my first time out of the bottle. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange color with good clarity and a half inch of bubbly white head on top. Aromas start with a somewhat grainy malt backbone with tomato juice upfront. Lots of spices as well with pepper and celery coming through the most. This does smell like a bloody mary for sure!

First sip brings a crisp grainy malt upfront that quickly turns to bold tomato flavor. Macerated tomato leads into a peppery spiciness with dill and celery accents. The brew flows down with true bloody mary flavor and a touch of heat, presumably from the horseradish, on the finish. Lingering spicy tomato as an afterthought. A wild beer that I personally find very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with steady, fast moving carbonation. It has a slight creaminess. Good body overall. Ultimately, this is a unique brew that I really enjoy. If you hate bloody mary's you probably won't be too fond of this one. Cheers to Short's for pushing the boundaries of brewing and creating something as interesting and tasty as this!

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

A_Burnt orange with a thin white head. No lacing. Red floaties. Im guessing tomato peel.

S_Smell is exactly that of a bloody mary. Tomato juice,celery seed,pepper and alcohol.

T_Same as nose. Tomato,celery seed, pepper,horseradish.Very bold flavor. Sligh heat.

M_A little thicker than I would prefer.

D_One is good enough for me.

Not much of a bloody Mary man myself. Actually I don't drink any liquor at all. But this beer is spot on for what shorts was aiming for.

3.91/5  rDev +15.7%

Notes from fall 2010. 12 oz release.

Doesn't look that bloody. Pours reddish brown with lots of material suspended and one finger of head. Not the most appealing looking beer, but okay.

Wow, this does smell just like a bloody mary. Pepper, tomato, celery and a bit of horseradish. Very enjoyable arome if you like bloody mary's.

Pepper hits first, followed by tastes of tomato, celery and horseradish, with some hops on the finish. If you didn't know what to expect, this could induce your gag reflex. But given what they were going for, I think this is a success. Made a great first beer on a football saturday.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, and a bit odd, but I like it.

This is definitely a novelty. In the future, if I want a bloody mary, I'll go for the real thing, but I enjoyed this. As much as I love peppery bloody marys though, can't see having more than one of these in a sitting.

2.49/5  rDev -26.3%

Hazy apricot color with a white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of tomato paste, celery, radish, and some other spice I can't quite pick out. Taste is much of the same, but I also get a bit of cracked peppercorn that adds a bit of a bite to it. Body is light and carbonation is medium. Not a big fan of this beer.

Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

3.67/5  rDev +8.6%

I am game for just about anything Short's puts out, and this one just sounded too odd to pass on. Might be disastrous, but I admire the folks at Short's for their willingness to experiment. Goddammit, someone's gotta.

A - Pours a color that's almost split 50/50 between orange and red... although it leans a bit on the red side. Almost no head, and no lacing.

S - It smells exactly like a bloody mary alright... tomato, celery, and some faint dill. I have no idea what to expect.

T - Aside from what you might expect from this beer, it has kind of a sour-sweet flavor... call me crazy, but I was expecting it to be spicier, since that's the norm for the flavor being re-created here. That's a bit disappointing. I like it, but it is a little sweet for what I was expecting/hoping for. Tomato is dominating, but if you're patient you can tell there are other "normal" bloody mary flavors at work here.

M - Smooth, with minimal carbonation. Very drinkable.

O - If you enjoy novelty beers, are a Michigan resident, or are just plain adventurous, what do you have to lose? It's not bad, just very, very bizarre.

3.89/5  rDev +15.1%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a murky copper-red color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of huge amounts of tomatos with moderate amounts of peppery spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly salt-like malt flavors with large amounts of ripe tomato flavors kick things off. Pepper-like spices come into play midway through the sip and carry through to a nondescript ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is not great. Finishing my glass wasn't the easiest thing in the world and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Overall I probably ranked this higher than most others but for a vegetable beer I can't imagine it being any better. That being said, the drinkability reflects my thoughts on how much I could have of this beer. Very interesting for curiousity's sake just know what you're getting into.

2.83/5  rDev -16.3%

Review from notes. Someone broke this out at a BBQ I attended.

A: Pours a mottled orange color with a small beige head on top. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Certainly some tomato, but overwhelmingly spiced. Tons of pepper and horse radish, they really dominated and everything else present didn't come through at all.

T: Similar to the nose, rather spicy/hot from the pepper and horse radish. The tomato helps a bit, but still comes off hot, in addition to the 8.5% it already gets some heat from.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy, but is not smooth drinking.

O: I applaud Shorts for trying, but it just didn't come off very beer like for me. I like spicy/hot food, but this one was a bit harsh for me. It is very much like a bloody mary, but not one that I want seconds of.

3.65/5  rDev +8%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

3.64/5  rDev +7.7%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The last of the set of Short's beers from MarcatGSB.

Appearance - Pours a deep orange color with a small, fleeting white head. I expected a redder color. Again, Short's beers have no head retention.

Smell - Smells like a subdued Bloody Mary. Tomatoes are the strongest, but it has it's fair share of light malt aromas. A little bready from the malt. I get a huge whiff of the celery, too.

Taste - The tomato isn't as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma. A lot more of the spices come through. The celery and peppercorns in particular. No horseradish, which might be a good thing. Finishes pretty clean with only some remnants of tomato lingering.

Mouthfeel - A little bit heavy, but otherwise a nice body. Well carbonated and no offensive flavors are putting me off.

Overall - Well, it does exactly what it set out to do. It's a Bloody Mary beer. It's pretty spot on, but the jury is still out on whether it's a flavor combination that's absolutely necessary in a beer.

4.15/5  rDev +22.8%

Poured into a HF stemmed glass. Served at ~ 55F.

A: Orange-red hue, nearly clear in appearance. Pours with a fluffy , but thin head that dissipates to nothingness in a minute or two. As I drank it, this beer left a thin lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Tomato...yes, surprising, but it is definitely the essence of tomato juice with a touch of celery spice, fresh dill and ground pepper.

T: Reminds me of the base for a nice boody mary. Tomato balanced with herbal notes of dill and celery and a tocuh of spice from pepper and horseradish. The carbonation helps blend the flavors so no single one dominates over the foundation of tomato.

M: Obviously this doesn't have the thick, body of tomato juice and it is carbonated, but that keeps this beer light on the tongue and more drinkable than I expected.

O: This beer exceeded my expectations...surely it can be polarizing and it's not for everyone, but I wondered how tomato could work in a beer...Short's shows that it can be done. Impressive for what it is and surprised it works so well from the bottle.

3.82/5  rDev +13%

This one poured lighter a lighter color than I thought, with a really interesting herbal and "fresh garden" sort of smell. Decent carbonation, but no elaborate rocky head or anything. There's some really interesting flavors here (the dill, tellicherry peppercorns and horseradish seem to stand out), but no flavor is too over-powering. It turns out that I like all these unusual flavors in a beer, at least with a salad of tomato and mozzarella with some garlicky breadsticks. Their is a sort of an odd horseradish character that is latent in the finish, but it's not enough to stop me drinking this one. Not too sweet, but certainly not bitter either. Hops are just one of the herbs in this beer kept in balance with all the other flavors. Very tasty and worth seeking out. My bottle was filled in March 2007 and was purchased at the brewery in Bellaire.

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

Poured from 12oz beer.

A- Pours a hazed reddish burnt orange color. Half finger white head shows medium retention. No real lacing at all as it falls back into the beer. It looks pretty much what I figured it would as the name said.

S- Tomatoes are first and foremost the main aroma in the nose. There is light malts in the background toward the ending but are very faint. Horseradish and peppercorn are both in the aroma while the first is more apparent than the later.

T- Bloody Mary is what you can taste right off the bat. Tomatoes come in first in what to me seems like a tomatoe soup. Horseradish and peppercorn comes in next bringing up the final flavors of the Bloody Mary. Short's malt base does come through a little more in the flavor than in the aroma. Tomatoes come back through in the ending and there is no alcohol at all to be tasted.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light but it works out well for the beer. Bloody Mary is all I can taste from what was left on the palate to long into the aftertaste. The flavors on this were well balanced to what it said it was on the label. No off flavors were present while drinking this. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was a fantastic new beer to try from Short's. I really enjoy Bloody Mary's so this beer works out well for me. The ABV on this beer is very high but you can not taste it at all. Another knockout beer from Short's in my opinion.

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

A big thanks to Kevin (kzoobrew) who sent me this beer months ago but I was waiting to "share" it with some fellow BA's at a tasting (muhaha). Cheers friend!

Appearance - Poured into a standard glass with a somewhat off-putting burnt orange/tomato juice look and a slight layer of white head.

Smell - Whiel I have never drank a bloody mary per-say, I sure have tried a couple sips here and there over the years so I know what they are/smell like/taste like. I'll be damned if this does not smell exactly like one. What I have learned about Short's, is they either get the smell down perfect, the taste, or both...when they are going for some crazy beers. Some smell better than they taste, or visa versa, etc. This beer smells so much like a bloody mary - heavy tomato juice, olives, peppercorn/pepper, celery, etc. Insane.

Taste - Now, this is a beer that smells "better" than it tastes. While this beer is not repugnant by any means, it isn't exactly something I'd want to drink every day. While it tastes somewhat like the nose, there is more tomato and peppercorn than anything. Still, again, not bad.

Mouthfeel - Lighter to medium bodied, decent carbonation, ends with spicy dryness.

Drinkability - Again, not the most drinkable thing out there, but sometimes Short's misses with beers, but they got this sucker dead on. Surprisingly accurate and for that you just gotta give them points.

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Bottle 606 of 864 purchased at the Bellaire brewpub last summer. Shared with ksak and AnnieSak.

A: The beer has an amber golden glow until the end of the bottle, when yeast takes the ale to a much darker brown. Even before the yeast, the ale was opaque. Two plus fingers of white head came on the first pour and left islands of lace scattered around the mouth of the glass.

S: What an aroma! Ground pepper and horseradish lead the way with ripe tomatoes in pursuit. The ingredients, per the bottle, don't seem appealing but they work.

T: The zestier aspects of the ale come through first. Ground black pepper, sharp with a bit of heat, mixed with horseradish. That is where the heat really kicks up, with the root adding a fiery element. The ale's body, an unlikely blend of malts and tomatos. After a brief tomato interlude, the horseradish and pepper return. The finish has all aspects working together, a bloody mary without the excess booze.

M: The mouthfeel is very spicy, prickly even. The horseradish and pepper, they are zesty and bold, quite a treat.

D: The flavors are bold, so bold tat I was glad to have a few people to share the bottle with.

4.23/5  rDev +25.1%

Big thanks to Jay23 for grabbing this one!

Striated layers of foam, rings of sticky lace in the glass. Hazy orange with micro sediment and some visible carbonation. Unique aroma, some tomato acidity and celery salt, with an underlying beery maltiness.

Unrivaled herbal spice blend in the flavor, recognizable dill, celery salt, sort of dusty and savory, some tomato acidity again. Leafy garden greenery that is so unique in a beer. Nicely balanced with a firm dry bitterness in the finish. Elements of the whole spice rack, though i'm not getting much pepper. Light bodied and easy drinking, though it may not be for everyone. Pizza beer needs to take notes from Short's...

3.97/5  rDev +17.5%

Really excited to try my first beer from the up and coming Short's Brewing. I think with this beer you really have to take in account what they were shooting for in this brew and review accordingly.

Pours to a hazy murky orange amber with a full rocky two inch light tan head that fades in minutes. Nose has distinct tones of peppercorns and hops, this is an odd but pleasant combination. With first sip you get a pairing of even hops and a raw, crisp vegetable feel. The celery feel is truely there along with the uncrushed peppercorns. There is even a hint of malt like sweetness with tomato skin on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very smooth and almost creamy. This beer is very different but nicely drinkable.

3.64/5  rDev +7.7%

Picked up a six pack to share day of distribution in the Grand Rapids area (9/28/11). Poured into a snifter.

A - Light to moderate pour produced a very thin half finger head that dissipated very quickly. Warm copper body...was expecting it to be more red.

S - Hops up front. Smells like a "healthy" IPA at first really. You can really get the tomato and spices. Smells like a V8, maybe even a mild chili.

T - Hoppy fresh tomatoes followed by a really sweet and slightly spicy finish. The dill and peppercorn is apparent on the back end. The sweetness kind of lingers.

M - Quite flat and thin really. I would prefer more carbonation if it stayed as thin, otherwise, I'd really like a more syrupy roasted tomato taste..

O - I'm glad I tried it, but not sure I need it again. I know this does not sit well on the shelves, so if you find it more than a few weeks past it's early Autumn release, I imagine you would find it to taste a lot more like rotten vegetables.

3.28/5  rDev -3%

I'm hoping kbeals is my new Short's connection.. Kevin hooked me up!! 750 bottle shared with inflatablechair, ditmier, and buckeyeboy.. Thanks for hosting Eric.

Poured into my small La Trappe goblet.. golden/amber brew with a descent head with every swirl..

Nose is sorta nasty at first.... takes a bit of coaxing to put my face back on the glass.. peppercorns and celery seed sorta jump out at first.. I guess I'm getting "tomato"... but it's sooo damn weird... I'm having a time with it.

Flavor really is pretty interesting.. more beer than "Bloody Mary"... but the individual components really are there... I actually get the horseradish on the palate.. but a bit of gathering peppercorn and sorta sweet tomato comes in the middle.. celery seed is there and adds a nice bit of spiciness that is very unique.

I'm soooo torn over this one... I dig it for sure.. but I would NEVER be able to finish an entire bottle..

Thanks again Kevin.. interesting... I want a fresh bottle for sure if they ever make it again.

3.58/5  rDev +5.9%

had a few shorts beers to round out my night and started out with this one. i was a bit nervous to say the least, but it was not as bad as i thought.

poured a dark, reddish tinted orange with a big off white head that reached a height of around three inches before settling back down and leaving some nice lacing around the edges of the glass.

the aroma is a straight up bloody mary with hints to tomato, pepper, lots of fruity notes and a dash of grassy hops. not really sure i was every going to see this in a beer, not being a fan of a bloody mary to begin with I was a touch nervous to proceed. but the flavor mirrored it exactly with a thicj tomato and spicy pepper that pricked at the tongue and left you thirsty and full at the same time.

overall this was not really one for me at all. i knew that going in but i will admit it certainly could have been alot worse.

3.07/5  rDev -9.2%

12oz bottle of the 2010 release shared by sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a hazy, burnt orange color with a light white head that sticks around on the edges only. Not much by way of lacing. Smells like, well, a bloody mary. Tomato juice and celery seed dominate, but you can really pick up the horseradish, cracked pepper and dill as well. Taste is much the same with tomato juice and celery seed up front and the dill and cracked pepper on the midpalate. The horseradish really shows up in the finish with more spicy tomato juice and celery seed lingering on the finish. Light bitterness with some spice on the finish make it rather unpleasant for me. This could be because I don't care much for tomato juice/bloody marys, but I really disliked the finish. Surprisingly light-bodied with moderate carbonation and a balanced finish. There is a light boozy warmth on the palate. For me, this is not very drinkable at all - I labored to get through my 4 oz. pour. I think Short's did a pretty good job at replicating a bloody mary in beer form here, but there is just something that really awkward and off-putting about the flavors. Worth a try for novelty even if you don't like bloody marys, but you should definitely seek this out if you are a fan of the drink.

3.65/5  rDev +8%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Bloody Beer last week for $2.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while since I am a fan of Bloody Mary's and I thought I had missed out on this years release, but luckily my brother spotted one hidden deep in a cooler so I knew I had to give it a try, so let's see how this crazy beer goes. No visible bottling date, but I know its about a month old. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's drawn really well and suits this beer nicely. This beer poured a nice redish amber color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end.

S-H It smells similar to a Bloody Mary, but not nearly as in your face as I thought it would be. It starts off with a sweet malty aroma mixed with Roma Tomatoes, the combination makes for a very unique aroma. Next comes the dill which is pretty noticeable and another aroma that I can't quite put my finger on but I think it might be the celery seed. It kind of smells similar to Nicie Spicie with the added aromas of tomatoes and dill.

T- Wow this is one unusual tasting beer. It starts off with the malty base of this beer which I find to be very similar to Nicie Spicie, I wouldn't be surprised if they used a version of that for the base of this beer. Next comes the tomatoes which aren't as bold as I thought they would be, but the lighter flavor blends nicely with the malt base. After that comes the spices with dill being the most noticeable and there was also some peppercorns and what I assume to be celery seed. I could use more spice in this beer, the peppercorns are nice and noticeable but I don't pick up any Horseradish in this beer, if it had more heat to it and a bolder tomato taste it would be exactly like the cocktail. The finish was a little malty with some tomatoes and dill on the finish and in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, on the full side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked pretty good with this beer, I think that if it was thicker like the cocktail is it would really hurt the drinkability.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good Experimental beer from Short's. It wasn't exactly like drinking a Bloody Mary, but I would say it is a good attempt at making a Bloody Mary in beer form, Experimental beers should still taste somewhat like a beer and this one does. For a beer like this it has pretty good drinkability, some of these experimental beers don't go down to smooth but this one does, I am splitting this with my brother, but if I had a full bottle to myself I don't think I would have a problem finishing it. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it was a Bloody Mary in beer form, just what it claimed to be, and what I wanted it to be. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of spiciness, I like my Bloody Mary's spicy, and this beer wasn't spicy, I wish the Horseradish was noticeable and added some heat to this beer. I will for sure be buying a six pack of this if it is released next year, it seems like it would make a great warm weather beer, too bad it only comes out in the fall, it would be nice to have this released in July. If weird and unique beers are your thing then you need to give this beer a try, I don't think you have to love Bloody Marys to like this beer, but it probably helps. This beer was unique, unusual. and pretty true to its name, and that is what I look for in Experimental beer for Short's. I really that fact that Short's takes a risk on beers like this and distributes them, I don't think there are many brewery's that could pull off a Bloody Mary beer, and if they did it would probably be draft only, I don't think they would be as confident as Short's is and sell it in six packs. Short's really has a gift when it comes to these off the wall Experimental beers and I am glad to have the chance to try as many as possible, keep up the good work guys, maybe a Mojito beer is in order.
Update- The 2012 batch has a litlle less roma tomato flavors with much more dill and celery seed showing up, my rating stays the same but i like the 2012 a litlle more than the 2011 release, it's such a crazy tasting beer.

3.73/5  rDev +10.4%

Bloody beer pours a fairly cloudy looking orange amber color. The head is parchment in color and though it deteriorates fairly quickly and does not leave much lace, though a stubborn ring sticks around for the entire glass.

Wow, this aroma smells a lot like a bloody Mary. It is also giving me some traumatic flashbacks of Chelada, but this beer luckily does not have any rotten clam smell to it. It DOES smell like tomato juice, celery, salt, pepper and herbs. Pretty crazy.

I was unsure about the aroma, but the flavor is very nice. It is not nearly as salty or V8 like as it comes off as in the nose. Instead you get a very lager beer like base that is spiked with the veggie flavors as well as some nice peppery character.

The body is on the lighter end of medium with a carbonation that seems appropriate. The finish is thankfully much more beer like than bloody Mary.

I am going to be honest, the smell is still sort of a turn off for me, but overall I found this to be tasty and “cool” beer. It’s a very creative endeavor and the fact that they bottled this is pretty awesome. I would recommend any beer geek to try this and would imagine that if you are a big fan of the cocktail it’s named after, you will probably enjoy it more than I did.

to view more.