Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Reviews by beachbum1975:
beachbum1975

3.8/5  rDev +12.4%

Urbancaver, you are my hero. Thanks again getting me this Short's beer!

Pours a cloudy, reddish copper to cherry in color with a small white fizzy head. Head retention is lacking leaving a small halo and swirling of head as it sits idle in my Sam Adams perfect pint.

Smells like V8 with mild malts. Tomatoes and celery on the nose.

This beer is surprisingly tomato-forward flavored. The tomato flavor pierces away with salt and celery in the flavor profile. Almost watery at times with butter qualities and pepper; all pleasant if you are a fan of Bloody Mary's like I am.

Creamy carbonation and bubbly in the mouth.

For what it is, it's very unique and well made! I enjoy drinking V8 and this is like a nice, milder/alcoholic version!

01-11-2011 03:46:00 | More by beachbum1975
tectactoe

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

10-25-2012 12:09:46 | More by tectactoe
orbitalr0x

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml bottle. # 258 of 865

I've had this before at various fests and always loved it. This is my first time out of the bottle. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange color with good clarity and a half inch of bubbly white head on top. Aromas start with a somewhat grainy malt backbone with tomato juice upfront. Lots of spices as well with pepper and celery coming through the most. This does smell like a bloody mary for sure!

First sip brings a crisp grainy malt upfront that quickly turns to bold tomato flavor. Macerated tomato leads into a peppery spiciness with dill and celery accents. The brew flows down with true bloody mary flavor and a touch of heat, presumably from the horseradish, on the finish. Lingering spicy tomato as an afterthought. A wild beer that I personally find very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with steady, fast moving carbonation. It has a slight creaminess. Good body overall. Ultimately, this is a unique brew that I really enjoy. If you hate bloody mary's you probably won't be too fond of this one. Cheers to Short's for pushing the boundaries of brewing and creating something as interesting and tasty as this!

09-14-2008 19:41:10 | More by orbitalr0x
nickadams2

3.65/5  rDev +8%

A_Burnt orange with a thin white head. No lacing. Red floaties. Im guessing tomato peel.

S_Smell is exactly that of a bloody mary. Tomato juice,celery seed,pepper and alcohol.

T_Same as nose. Tomato,celery seed, pepper,horseradish.Very bold flavor. Sligh heat.

M_A little thicker than I would prefer.

D_One is good enough for me.

Not much of a bloody Mary man myself. Actually I don't drink any liquor at all. But this beer is spot on for what shorts was aiming for.

11-06-2010 06:59:26 | More by nickadams2
warnerry

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Notes from fall 2010. 12 oz release.

Doesn't look that bloody. Pours reddish brown with lots of material suspended and one finger of head. Not the most appealing looking beer, but okay.

Wow, this does smell just like a bloody mary. Pepper, tomato, celery and a bit of horseradish. Very enjoyable arome if you like bloody mary's.

Pepper hits first, followed by tastes of tomato, celery and horseradish, with some hops on the finish. If you didn't know what to expect, this could induce your gag reflex. But given what they were going for, I think this is a success. Made a great first beer on a football saturday.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, and a bit odd, but I like it.

This is definitely a novelty. In the future, if I want a bloody mary, I'll go for the real thing, but I enjoyed this. As much as I love peppery bloody marys though, can't see having more than one of these in a sitting.

04-20-2011 01:43:18 | More by warnerry
badbeer

Iowa

2.5/5  rDev -26%

Hazy apricot color with a white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of tomato paste, celery, radish, and some other spice I can't quite pick out. Taste is much of the same, but I also get a bit of cracked peppercorn that adds a bit of a bite to it. Body is light and carbonation is medium. Not a big fan of this beer.

05-23-2008 07:33:49 | More by badbeer
Mora2000

Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

05-04-2011 04:04:30 | More by Mora2000
jaminjohnson

Yukon (Canada)

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

11-18-2012 03:44:40 | More by jaminjohnson
madeofsteel

3.65/5  rDev +8%

I am game for just about anything Short's puts out, and this one just sounded too odd to pass on. Might be disastrous, but I admire the folks at Short's for their willingness to experiment. Goddammit, someone's gotta.

A - Pours a color that's almost split 50/50 between orange and red... although it leans a bit on the red side. Almost no head, and no lacing.

S - It smells exactly like a bloody mary alright... tomato, celery, and some faint dill. I have no idea what to expect.

T - Aside from what you might expect from this beer, it has kind of a sour-sweet flavor... call me crazy, but I was expecting it to be spicier, since that's the norm for the flavor being re-created here. That's a bit disappointing. I like it, but it is a little sweet for what I was expecting/hoping for. Tomato is dominating, but if you're patient you can tell there are other "normal" bloody mary flavors at work here.

M - Smooth, with minimal carbonation. Very drinkable.

O - If you enjoy novelty beers, are a Michigan resident, or are just plain adventurous, what do you have to lose? It's not bad, just very, very bizarre.

11-16-2011 01:01:07 | More by madeofsteel
TCJosh

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%

12-20-2012 23:16:58 | More by TCJosh
glid02

Georgia

3.88/5  rDev +14.8%

Bottle shared by Lee - thanks!

Pours a murky copper-red color with a half-finger slightly off-white head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving light lacing.

Smells of huge amounts of tomatos with moderate amounts of peppery spices.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Slightly salt-like malt flavors with large amounts of ripe tomato flavors kick things off. Pepper-like spices come into play midway through the sip and carry through to a nondescript ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is not great. Finishing my glass wasn't the easiest thing in the world and I wouldn't want to do it again.

Overall I probably ranked this higher than most others but for a vegetable beer I can't imagine it being any better. That being said, the drinkability reflects my thoughts on how much I could have of this beer. Very interesting for curiousity's sake just know what you're getting into.

11-22-2010 02:39:25 | More by glid02
freehafe

02-09-2012 00:11:56 | More by freehafe
mdaschaf

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -17.2%

Review from notes. Someone broke this out at a BBQ I attended.

A: Pours a mottled orange color with a small beige head on top. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Certainly some tomato, but overwhelmingly spiced. Tons of pepper and horse radish, they really dominated and everything else present didn't come through at all.

T: Similar to the nose, rather spicy/hot from the pepper and horse radish. The tomato helps a bit, but still comes off hot, in addition to the 8.5% it already gets some heat from.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy, but is not smooth drinking.

O: I applaud Shorts for trying, but it just didn't come off very beer like for me. I like spicy/hot food, but this one was a bit harsh for me. It is very much like a bloody mary, but not one that I want seconds of.

06-22-2011 02:50:52 | More by mdaschaf
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +8%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

07-09-2012 02:29:36 | More by Sammy
Photekut

Tennessee

11-17-2011 23:54:35 | More by Photekut
Alieniloquium

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The last of the set of Short's beers from MarcatGSB.

Appearance - Pours a deep orange color with a small, fleeting white head. I expected a redder color. Again, Short's beers have no head retention.

Smell - Smells like a subdued Bloody Mary. Tomatoes are the strongest, but it has it's fair share of light malt aromas. A little bready from the malt. I get a huge whiff of the celery, too.

Taste - The tomato isn't as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma. A lot more of the spices come through. The celery and peppercorns in particular. No horseradish, which might be a good thing. Finishes pretty clean with only some remnants of tomato lingering.

Mouthfeel - A little bit heavy, but otherwise a nice body. Well carbonated and no offensive flavors are putting me off.

Overall - Well, it does exactly what it set out to do. It's a Bloody Mary beer. It's pretty spot on, but the jury is still out on whether it's a flavor combination that's absolutely necessary in a beer.

11-30-2011 01:33:34 | More by Alieniloquium
F2brewers

4.16/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured into a HF stemmed glass. Served at ~ 55F.

A: Orange-red hue, nearly clear in appearance. Pours with a fluffy , but thin head that dissipates to nothingness in a minute or two. As I drank it, this beer left a thin lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Tomato...yes, surprising, but it is definitely the essence of tomato juice with a touch of celery spice, fresh dill and ground pepper.

T: Reminds me of the base for a nice boody mary. Tomato balanced with herbal notes of dill and celery and a tocuh of spice from pepper and horseradish. The carbonation helps blend the flavors so no single one dominates over the foundation of tomato.

M: Obviously this doesn't have the thick, body of tomato juice and it is carbonated, but that keeps this beer light on the tongue and more drinkable than I expected.

O: This beer exceeded my expectations...surely it can be polarizing and it's not for everyone, but I wondered how tomato could work in a beer...Short's shows that it can be done. Impressive for what it is and surprised it works so well from the bottle.

05-05-2014 01:02:26 | More by F2brewers

Acuity

12-24-2011 04:41:07 | More by Acuity
marcobrau

3.83/5  rDev +13.3%

This one poured lighter a lighter color than I thought, with a really interesting herbal and "fresh garden" sort of smell. Decent carbonation, but no elaborate rocky head or anything. There's some really interesting flavors here (the dill, tellicherry peppercorns and horseradish seem to stand out), but no flavor is too over-powering. It turns out that I like all these unusual flavors in a beer, at least with a salad of tomato and mozzarella with some garlicky breadsticks. Their is a sort of an odd horseradish character that is latent in the finish, but it's not enough to stop me drinking this one. Not too sweet, but certainly not bitter either. Hops are just one of the herbs in this beer kept in balance with all the other flavors. Very tasty and worth seeking out. My bottle was filled in March 2007 and was purchased at the brewery in Bellaire.

08-28-2009 01:47:17 | More by marcobrau

alleykatking

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from 12oz beer.

A- Pours a hazed reddish burnt orange color. Half finger white head shows medium retention. No real lacing at all as it falls back into the beer. It looks pretty much what I figured it would as the name said.

S- Tomatoes are first and foremost the main aroma in the nose. There is light malts in the background toward the ending but are very faint. Horseradish and peppercorn are both in the aroma while the first is more apparent than the later.

T- Bloody Mary is what you can taste right off the bat. Tomatoes come in first in what to me seems like a tomatoe soup. Horseradish and peppercorn comes in next bringing up the final flavors of the Bloody Mary. Short's malt base does come through a little more in the flavor than in the aroma. Tomatoes come back through in the ending and there is no alcohol at all to be tasted.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light but it works out well for the beer. Bloody Mary is all I can taste from what was left on the palate to long into the aftertaste. The flavors on this were well balanced to what it said it was on the label. No off flavors were present while drinking this. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was a fantastic new beer to try from Short's. I really enjoy Bloody Mary's so this beer works out well for me. The ABV on this beer is very high but you can not taste it at all. Another knockout beer from Short's in my opinion.

03-12-2011 21:27:11 | More by alleykatking