Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
waiting4lunch

05-26-2013 02:06:49 | More by Roeters
chugalug06

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +37%

Very small white head on top of orange crystal brew. No lacing.

Amazing amount of peppercorn, sage, spice, celery, tomato, very clean aroma.

Smooth, light, relaxed, no heat, very little bite with wonderful transitions throughout the many flavors. Nailed the flavor, dead on, exactly what I expected and wanted. Tastes just like a a bloody beer (minus some of the spice). Fizzy carbonation slightly detracts, but I can get over it. Zero bitterness, and dry sweetness.

This brew is amazing. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life... If you like Bloody Mary's or Bloody Beers, than this should be considered a MUST TRY!!! A (near) perfect beer from Shorts, Thank you abanton!!!

06-30-2013 22:34:31 | More by chugalug06
Deuane

4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

A-Bright, deep copper with a medium light tan head that settled down to a thin cap and left nice webby lace.

S-Aggressive spice kick with definite notes of black pepper and horseradish. Earthy and musty too with just a touch of malt sweetness. Maybe even a hint of celery seed? Not sure I have thought about that in a beer! Very complex and interesting. The more I sniff the more I think, Wow, this really does smell like a spicy bloody mary!"

T-Spicy kick in the palate! Plenty of pepper and horseradish kick in at the start and then mellow into an amalgamation of interesting spicy notes. This is a tough one to pinpoint flavours on. Very interesting, I appreciate the attempt. Maybe just a touch too spicy? Tomato acidity starts to come out with a bit of warming.

M-Medium bodied with a beautiful sharp, crisp bite. Long lasting spicy bitterness. Nice drying finish.

D-Totally solid and interesting brew. Once again Short's practically nails an unusual and interesting fruit/vegetable beer! The more I drink the more I like it. I am a HUGE bloody mary fan so...thanks Joe for another fine product!

09-26-2009 23:15:01 | More by Deuane

4.5/5  rDev +33.1%

06-11-2013 12:03:45 | More by BrothaBace
tpd975

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for bringing all the Short's beers in for a tasting.

A: Pours an orange red hue with a nice tall white head. No real retention or lace.

S: Bloody Mary mix, dill, celery seed, and green peppercorns.

T: Much better than you can imagine. The Short's guys are geniuses to pull this one off in the way they did. Lots of fresh dill up front, followed by fresh real tomato juice. The celery seed is there but much more milder than the other components. The bottle mentions horseradish but I did not pick any up.

M: Medium in body, light carbonation.

D: Good, going to buy more of this one. When you look at the components you would think meh! It is so good though.

10-31-2009 23:58:24 | More by tpd975
TheBlackMallard

4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours and nice cloudy bright orange with a thick creamy head. I expected it to be red but it's not.

Smell: Tomato, Salt, Bready, it's all pretty subdued.

Taste: So Weird. Tomatoes, pepper, salt, celery. They all come through. It's like a bloody mary that isn't gross. It's so odd and still light and refreshing. Dry, salty, peppery finish.

It's beer first and bloody maryesque second. I can see why this is the best selling out of the Imperial Series.

04-20-2008 05:47:51 | More by TheBlackMallard
hopdog

4.3/5  rDev +27.2%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of EDA.

Poured a medium and cloudy orangie color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of celery (freshly cut), tomatoes, and dill. Wow, what a different aroma. Tastes of celery, tomatoes, V8, horseradish, and spices. This one really stood out. Bloody Mary all over it!

Notes from 12/16/07

11-17-2008 02:05:26 | More by hopdog
emerge077

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Big thanks to Jay23 for grabbing this one!

Striated layers of foam, rings of sticky lace in the glass. Hazy orange with micro sediment and some visible carbonation. Unique aroma, some tomato acidity and celery salt, with an underlying beery maltiness.

Unrivaled herbal spice blend in the flavor, recognizable dill, celery salt, sort of dusty and savory, some tomato acidity again. Leafy garden greenery that is so unique in a beer. Nicely balanced with a firm dry bitterness in the finish. Elements of the whole spice rack, though i'm not getting much pepper. Light bodied and easy drinking, though it may not be for everyone. Pizza beer needs to take notes from Short's...

08-30-2009 04:17:43 | More by emerge077

alleykatking

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from 12oz beer.

A- Pours a hazed reddish burnt orange color. Half finger white head shows medium retention. No real lacing at all as it falls back into the beer. It looks pretty much what I figured it would as the name said.

S- Tomatoes are first and foremost the main aroma in the nose. There is light malts in the background toward the ending but are very faint. Horseradish and peppercorn are both in the aroma while the first is more apparent than the later.

T- Bloody Mary is what you can taste right off the bat. Tomatoes come in first in what to me seems like a tomatoe soup. Horseradish and peppercorn comes in next bringing up the final flavors of the Bloody Mary. Short's malt base does come through a little more in the flavor than in the aroma. Tomatoes come back through in the ending and there is no alcohol at all to be tasted.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light but it works out well for the beer. Bloody Mary is all I can taste from what was left on the palate to long into the aftertaste. The flavors on this were well balanced to what it said it was on the label. No off flavors were present while drinking this. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was a fantastic new beer to try from Short's. I really enjoy Bloody Mary's so this beer works out well for me. The ABV on this beer is very high but you can not taste it at all. Another knockout beer from Short's in my opinion.

03-12-2011 21:27:11 | More by alleykatking
nodaybuttoday08

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

I love this beer, though it's definitely not your typical beer.

The taste reminds me of drinking vegetable or tomato juice, which is why I think it's such a drinkable beer. It's completely unique, not hoppy, and full of tomato-y goodness. I saw several reviews comparing it to a bloody mary, and I find that to be fairly accurate. At 8.5% ABV, it's hard to complain.

I should add that, although I drank this beer several months ago and have had many others since then, I cannot get it out of my head and look forward to having another.

12-23-2010 01:11:27 | More by nodaybuttoday08
klikger

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Cloudy dark amber with a touch of red, tons of visible sediment (i.e., individual particles), decent head which shrinks quickly, fair lacing

S - Tomato juice, yeast, pepper, and celery salt

T - Tomatoes, garlic --> pickles, horseradish, salt & pepper --> yeast and grainy malts --> Robust tomato juice & citrus hops on the back end, resulting in a rich, soupy, pleasantly bitter finish.

M - Body isn't thick, but there is definitely some chewiness. Good carbonation. The variety of flavors in this reward swishing around in the mouth.

D - This is so tasty that one is perfect to savor. That said, if I had regular access, having a couple wouldn't be a problem - again, I'm a Bloody Mary fan, so I'm biased.

What an interesting beer! If you're a fan of Bloody Marys, you need to try this. Short's has pulled off a bona fide replacement beer for my favorite mixed drink - I'll revisit this whenever given the opportunity. And I'll be adding dried habanero flakes or powder - adds heat without ruining the flavor.

11-09-2010 22:19:27 | More by klikger
F2brewers

4.16/5  rDev +23.1%

Poured into a HF stemmed glass. Served at ~ 55F.

A: Orange-red hue, nearly clear in appearance. Pours with a fluffy , but thin head that dissipates to nothingness in a minute or two. As I drank it, this beer left a thin lacing down the sides of the glass.

S: Tomato...yes, surprising, but it is definitely the essence of tomato juice with a touch of celery spice, fresh dill and ground pepper.

T: Reminds me of the base for a nice boody mary. Tomato balanced with herbal notes of dill and celery and a tocuh of spice from pepper and horseradish. The carbonation helps blend the flavors so no single one dominates over the foundation of tomato.

M: Obviously this doesn't have the thick, body of tomato juice and it is carbonated, but that keeps this beer light on the tongue and more drinkable than I expected.

O: This beer exceeded my expectations...surely it can be polarizing and it's not for everyone, but I wondered how tomato could work in a beer...Short's shows that it can be done. Impressive for what it is and surprised it works so well from the bottle.

05-05-2014 01:02:26 | More by F2brewers
ClockworkOrange

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Thanks to Deuane for bringing this one back from MI for me. A capped 750ml bottle # 482 of 864. Upon pouring into my shaker glass, the beer appears a rather murky golden honey color with barely a finger of fizzy, quickly fading bone white head. Aromas and flavors consist of spicy cracked pepper, biting, pungent horseradish, tomato pulp and juice, celery, dill, a bit of booze in the nose, sweet malt pokes through the aforementioned , more aggressive flavors. Yep, all the flavors are accounted for here, just like the label states. Certainly tastes like a bloody mary. The only thing missing is a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a few dashes of Tabasco. The finish leaves the tongue and throat tingling from the peppers and horseradish. The beer is nearly full bodied and amply carbonated. Cheers to Joe Short for making such a unique and tasty beer.

08-25-2009 02:50:05 | More by ClockworkOrange
JordanEllwanger

4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

A dark amber pumpkin orange color with a slight off white head covering a plethora of still floating sediment like pieces of fruit in a jello mold. Celery salt, peppercorn, and dill waft into the nose very defiantly giving you the impression of a double dog dare from the sent to sample the flavor. A very subtle yet still very upfront amount of spice in this. Short's is really good at combining spices without leaving too much of a spice heartburn in my throat. It is my guess that the horseradish is to blame for the burn that rises as the tomato taste that lingers after the initial spice blast resides. It is quit considerable in its thickness being a beer. I don't think I could drink more than one in a row of these, but for what it is it is a well made beer.
Cheers.

11-02-2010 05:14:18 | More by JordanEllwanger
hoppymeal

4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

Labels states: specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.
Bottle # 11 of 864. Pours a hazy rusty orange and gold, a small off white to cream colored head recedes to a faint covering. Aroma is of rich and meaty, salty tomato juice, strong celery salt aroma as well, very much like a bloody mary. Taste is along these same lines with rich tomato juice and celery salt flavors. There is a quick flash of maltiness up front before the tomato flavor and a nice peppery flavored bite at the back of the throat towards the finish. Mild tingle lingers on the lips and tongue, likely from the pepper or possibly the horseradish. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a nice crisp and peppery finish. Very much like a nice bloody mary with some beer thrown in which makes for an enjoyable drink, love the peppery tingle left behing in the aftertaste. This would be a great beer for an a.m. tailgating event in place of a true bloody mary. Unique, flavorful and refreshing.

09-06-2007 03:08:00 | More by hoppymeal
orbitalr0x

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml bottle. # 258 of 865

I've had this before at various fests and always loved it. This is my first time out of the bottle. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange color with good clarity and a half inch of bubbly white head on top. Aromas start with a somewhat grainy malt backbone with tomato juice upfront. Lots of spices as well with pepper and celery coming through the most. This does smell like a bloody mary for sure!

First sip brings a crisp grainy malt upfront that quickly turns to bold tomato flavor. Macerated tomato leads into a peppery spiciness with dill and celery accents. The brew flows down with true bloody mary flavor and a touch of heat, presumably from the horseradish, on the finish. Lingering spicy tomato as an afterthought. A wild beer that I personally find very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with steady, fast moving carbonation. It has a slight creaminess. Good body overall. Ultimately, this is a unique brew that I really enjoy. If you hate bloody mary's you probably won't be too fond of this one. Cheers to Short's for pushing the boundaries of brewing and creating something as interesting and tasty as this!

09-14-2008 19:41:10 | More by orbitalr0x
younger35

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Received this brew in a trade with BeerTruth. This will be my third Shorts brew and second of the Imperial series. Can't wait to try all of these Imperial brews. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Bloody Beer
Date Brewed: 3/22/07
Batch No: 290
Date Bottled: 5/16&17/07
Non Traditional Ingredients: Roma Tomatoes, Horseradish, Dill, Celery Seed and Tellicherry Peppercorns
Imperial Beer 8 of 13
Bottle Number 13 of 864

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish orange with a nice creamy half finger pinkish white head that recedes VERY slowly. A beautifully creamy cap and collar are left that leaves LOADES of sticky soft lacing.
Smell- Excellent! Spicy from the start as loads of horseradish and pepper really stick out. It's amazing how clean the nose actually is with some light dill and celery seed. Really reminiscent of pickles and honestly I don't really get much tomatoes in the nose. Almost smells a little like pizza sauce.
Taste- The dill and the horseradish really dominate. The dill is a little much as it adds that pickle like sensation I got in the nose. The horseradish is spicy and bitter, although I bet when fresh that bitterness wasn't present. Light tomato and a bit of spice from the peppercorns really do add a nice Bloody Mary aspect to this brew although I think it needs more tomato. Not much in the way of celery seed which is rather surprising considering it's a fairly strong and recognizable spice. I think the horseradish just kind of takes over and covers the celery seed. Finishes with a light lager sweetness and lingering dill/horseradish combo.
Mouthfeel- Not as heavy as you'd think (or I wished) with a light carbonation and very spicy tingle on the tongue.
Drinkability- Normally when I drink bloody beers I either mix some Full Sail Session Lager (when I actually have some) or Red Stripe with some spicy Bloody Mary mix early in the morning to help calm the hangover. I'd probably stick with my combination even if I had another bottle of this. It's really unique and tasty but too much dill and horseradish (and I love both). I also wish it was thicker with some pulpy tomato but I understand it needed filtered to get out all of the spices. Unique, tasty and different but if I need a bloody beer, I'll make my own (I know my finish here seems really negative but I really did enjoy this brew). Big thanks again to my main man Adam!

11-16-2008 20:16:24 | More by younger35