2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
chugalug06

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very small white head on top of orange crystal brew. No lacing.

Amazing amount of peppercorn, sage, spice, celery, tomato, very clean aroma.

Smooth, light, relaxed, no heat, very little bite with wonderful transitions throughout the many flavors. Nailed the flavor, dead on, exactly what I expected and wanted. Tastes just like a a bloody beer (minus some of the spice). Fizzy carbonation slightly detracts, but I can get over it. Zero bitterness, and dry sweetness.

This brew is amazing. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life... If you like Bloody Mary's or Bloody Beers, than this should be considered a MUST TRY!!! A (near) perfect beer from Shorts, Thank you abanton!!!

06-30-2013 22:34:31 | More by chugalug06
Deuane

4.58/5  rDev +35.5%

A-Bright, deep copper with a medium light tan head that settled down to a thin cap and left nice webby lace.

S-Aggressive spice kick with definite notes of black pepper and horseradish. Earthy and musty too with just a touch of malt sweetness. Maybe even a hint of celery seed? Not sure I have thought about that in a beer! Very complex and interesting. The more I sniff the more I think, Wow, this really does smell like a spicy bloody mary!"

T-Spicy kick in the palate! Plenty of pepper and horseradish kick in at the start and then mellow into an amalgamation of interesting spicy notes. This is a tough one to pinpoint flavours on. Very interesting, I appreciate the attempt. Maybe just a touch too spicy? Tomato acidity starts to come out with a bit of warming.

M-Medium bodied with a beautiful sharp, crisp bite. Long lasting spicy bitterness. Nice drying finish.

D-Totally solid and interesting brew. Once again Short's practically nails an unusual and interesting fruit/vegetable beer! The more I drink the more I like it. I am a HUGE bloody mary fan so...thanks Joe for another fine product!

09-26-2009 23:15:01 | More by Deuane
tpd975

4.45/5  rDev +31.7%

Huge thanks to jdubfl for bringing all the Short's beers in for a tasting.

A: Pours an orange red hue with a nice tall white head. No real retention or lace.

S: Bloody Mary mix, dill, celery seed, and green peppercorns.

T: Much better than you can imagine. The Short's guys are geniuses to pull this one off in the way they did. Lots of fresh dill up front, followed by fresh real tomato juice. The celery seed is there but much more milder than the other components. The bottle mentions horseradish but I did not pick any up.

M: Medium in body, light carbonation.

D: Good, going to buy more of this one. When you look at the components you would think meh! It is so good though.

10-31-2009 23:58:24 | More by tpd975
TheBlackMallard

4.38/5  rDev +29.6%

Pours and nice cloudy bright orange with a thick creamy head. I expected it to be red but it's not.

Smell: Tomato, Salt, Bready, it's all pretty subdued.

Taste: So Weird. Tomatoes, pepper, salt, celery. They all come through. It's like a bloody mary that isn't gross. It's so odd and still light and refreshing. Dry, salty, peppery finish.

It's beer first and bloody maryesque second. I can see why this is the best selling out of the Imperial Series.

04-20-2008 05:47:51 | More by TheBlackMallard
hopdog

4.3/5  rDev +27.2%

750ml bottle shared courtesy of EDA.

Poured a medium and cloudy orangie color with a small sized off white head. Aromas of celery (freshly cut), tomatoes, and dill. Wow, what a different aroma. Tastes of celery, tomatoes, V8, horseradish, and spices. This one really stood out. Bloody Mary all over it!

Notes from 12/16/07

11-17-2008 02:05:26 | More by hopdog
emerge077

4.25/5  rDev +25.7%

Big thanks to Jay23 for grabbing this one!

Striated layers of foam, rings of sticky lace in the glass. Hazy orange with micro sediment and some visible carbonation. Unique aroma, some tomato acidity and celery salt, with an underlying beery maltiness.

Unrivaled herbal spice blend in the flavor, recognizable dill, celery salt, sort of dusty and savory, some tomato acidity again. Leafy garden greenery that is so unique in a beer. Nicely balanced with a firm dry bitterness in the finish. Elements of the whole spice rack, though i'm not getting much pepper. Light bodied and easy drinking, though it may not be for everyone. Pizza beer needs to take notes from Short's...

08-30-2009 04:17:43 | More by emerge077
nodaybuttoday08

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

I love this beer, though it's definitely not your typical beer.

The taste reminds me of drinking vegetable or tomato juice, which is why I think it's such a drinkable beer. It's completely unique, not hoppy, and full of tomato-y goodness. I saw several reviews comparing it to a bloody mary, and I find that to be fairly accurate. At 8.5% ABV, it's hard to complain.

I should add that, although I drank this beer several months ago and have had many others since then, I cannot get it out of my head and look forward to having another.

12-23-2010 01:11:27 | More by nodaybuttoday08
alleykatking

Indiana

4.22/5  rDev +24.9%

Poured from 12oz beer.

A- Pours a hazed reddish burnt orange color. Half finger white head shows medium retention. No real lacing at all as it falls back into the beer. It looks pretty much what I figured it would as the name said.

S- Tomatoes are first and foremost the main aroma in the nose. There is light malts in the background toward the ending but are very faint. Horseradish and peppercorn are both in the aroma while the first is more apparent than the later.

T- Bloody Mary is what you can taste right off the bat. Tomatoes come in first in what to me seems like a tomatoe soup. Horseradish and peppercorn comes in next bringing up the final flavors of the Bloody Mary. Short's malt base does come through a little more in the flavor than in the aroma. Tomatoes come back through in the ending and there is no alcohol at all to be tasted.

M- Medium-heavy mouthfeel. Carbonation is very light but it works out well for the beer. Bloody Mary is all I can taste from what was left on the palate to long into the aftertaste. The flavors on this were well balanced to what it said it was on the label. No off flavors were present while drinking this. Light alcohol drying on the palate.

D- This beer was a fantastic new beer to try from Short's. I really enjoy Bloody Mary's so this beer works out well for me. The ABV on this beer is very high but you can not taste it at all. Another knockout beer from Short's in my opinion.

03-12-2011 21:27:11 | More by alleykatking
klikger

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a tulip glass

A - Cloudy dark amber with a touch of red, tons of visible sediment (i.e., individual particles), decent head which shrinks quickly, fair lacing

S - Tomato juice, yeast, pepper, and celery salt

T - Tomatoes, garlic --> pickles, horseradish, salt & pepper --> yeast and grainy malts --> Robust tomato juice & citrus hops on the back end, resulting in a rich, soupy, pleasantly bitter finish.

M - Body isn't thick, but there is definitely some chewiness. Good carbonation. The variety of flavors in this reward swishing around in the mouth.

D - This is so tasty that one is perfect to savor. That said, if I had regular access, having a couple wouldn't be a problem - again, I'm a Bloody Mary fan, so I'm biased.

What an interesting beer! If you're a fan of Bloody Marys, you need to try this. Short's has pulled off a bona fide replacement beer for my favorite mixed drink - I'll revisit this whenever given the opportunity. And I'll be adding dried habanero flakes or powder - adds heat without ruining the flavor.

11-09-2010 22:19:27 | More by klikger
ClockworkOrange

4.1/5  rDev +21.3%

Thanks to Deuane for bringing this one back from MI for me. A capped 750ml bottle # 482 of 864. Upon pouring into my shaker glass, the beer appears a rather murky golden honey color with barely a finger of fizzy, quickly fading bone white head. Aromas and flavors consist of spicy cracked pepper, biting, pungent horseradish, tomato pulp and juice, celery, dill, a bit of booze in the nose, sweet malt pokes through the aforementioned , more aggressive flavors. Yep, all the flavors are accounted for here, just like the label states. Certainly tastes like a bloody mary. The only thing missing is a squeeze of fresh lemon juice and a few dashes of Tabasco. The finish leaves the tongue and throat tingling from the peppers and horseradish. The beer is nearly full bodied and amply carbonated. Cheers to Joe Short for making such a unique and tasty beer.

08-25-2009 02:50:05 | More by ClockworkOrange
hoppymeal

4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

Labels states: specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.
Bottle # 11 of 864. Pours a hazy rusty orange and gold, a small off white to cream colored head recedes to a faint covering. Aroma is of rich and meaty, salty tomato juice, strong celery salt aroma as well, very much like a bloody mary. Taste is along these same lines with rich tomato juice and celery salt flavors. There is a quick flash of maltiness up front before the tomato flavor and a nice peppery flavored bite at the back of the throat towards the finish. Mild tingle lingers on the lips and tongue, likely from the pepper or possibly the horseradish. Mouthfeel is medium in body with a nice crisp and peppery finish. Very much like a nice bloody mary with some beer thrown in which makes for an enjoyable drink, love the peppery tingle left behing in the aftertaste. This would be a great beer for an a.m. tailgating event in place of a true bloody mary. Unique, flavorful and refreshing.

09-06-2007 03:08:00 | More by hoppymeal
JordanEllwanger

4.05/5  rDev +19.8%

A dark amber pumpkin orange color with a slight off white head covering a plethora of still floating sediment like pieces of fruit in a jello mold. Celery salt, peppercorn, and dill waft into the nose very defiantly giving you the impression of a double dog dare from the sent to sample the flavor. A very subtle yet still very upfront amount of spice in this. Short's is really good at combining spices without leaving too much of a spice heartburn in my throat. It is my guess that the horseradish is to blame for the burn that rises as the tomato taste that lingers after the initial spice blast resides. It is quit considerable in its thickness being a beer. I don't think I could drink more than one in a row of these, but for what it is it is a well made beer.
Cheers.

11-02-2010 05:14:18 | More by JordanEllwanger
orbitalr0x

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

750ml bottle. # 258 of 865

I've had this before at various fests and always loved it. This is my first time out of the bottle. Pours into my glass a deep reddish orange color with good clarity and a half inch of bubbly white head on top. Aromas start with a somewhat grainy malt backbone with tomato juice upfront. Lots of spices as well with pepper and celery coming through the most. This does smell like a bloody mary for sure!

First sip brings a crisp grainy malt upfront that quickly turns to bold tomato flavor. Macerated tomato leads into a peppery spiciness with dill and celery accents. The brew flows down with true bloody mary flavor and a touch of heat, presumably from the horseradish, on the finish. Lingering spicy tomato as an afterthought. A wild beer that I personally find very tasty.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth with steady, fast moving carbonation. It has a slight creaminess. Good body overall. Ultimately, this is a unique brew that I really enjoy. If you hate bloody mary's you probably won't be too fond of this one. Cheers to Short's for pushing the boundaries of brewing and creating something as interesting and tasty as this!

09-14-2008 19:41:10 | More by orbitalr0x
younger35

4.03/5  rDev +19.2%

Received this brew in a trade with BeerTruth. This will be my third Shorts brew and second of the Imperial series. Can't wait to try all of these Imperial brews. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale flute.

Bloody Beer
Date Brewed: 3/22/07
Batch No: 290
Date Bottled: 5/16&17/07
Non Traditional Ingredients: Roma Tomatoes, Horseradish, Dill, Celery Seed and Tellicherry Peppercorns
Imperial Beer 8 of 13
Bottle Number 13 of 864

Appearance- Pours a hazy reddish orange with a nice creamy half finger pinkish white head that recedes VERY slowly. A beautifully creamy cap and collar are left that leaves LOADES of sticky soft lacing.
Smell- Excellent! Spicy from the start as loads of horseradish and pepper really stick out. It's amazing how clean the nose actually is with some light dill and celery seed. Really reminiscent of pickles and honestly I don't really get much tomatoes in the nose. Almost smells a little like pizza sauce.
Taste- The dill and the horseradish really dominate. The dill is a little much as it adds that pickle like sensation I got in the nose. The horseradish is spicy and bitter, although I bet when fresh that bitterness wasn't present. Light tomato and a bit of spice from the peppercorns really do add a nice Bloody Mary aspect to this brew although I think it needs more tomato. Not much in the way of celery seed which is rather surprising considering it's a fairly strong and recognizable spice. I think the horseradish just kind of takes over and covers the celery seed. Finishes with a light lager sweetness and lingering dill/horseradish combo.
Mouthfeel- Not as heavy as you'd think (or I wished) with a light carbonation and very spicy tingle on the tongue.
Drinkability- Normally when I drink bloody beers I either mix some Full Sail Session Lager (when I actually have some) or Red Stripe with some spicy Bloody Mary mix early in the morning to help calm the hangover. I'd probably stick with my combination even if I had another bottle of this. It's really unique and tasty but too much dill and horseradish (and I love both). I also wish it was thicker with some pulpy tomato but I understand it needed filtered to get out all of the spices. Unique, tasty and different but if I need a bloody beer, I'll make my own (I know my finish here seems really negative but I really did enjoy this brew). Big thanks again to my main man Adam!

11-16-2008 20:16:24 | More by younger35
alexgash

Connecticut

12 oz. bottle.

Hazy, particulate-filled blood orange body with a small, gauzy, off-white head. A very much expected interesting nose: lots of peppercorns, definite tomato juice (sans salt), a little dill, and some vague maltiness. It is what we thought it was!

Brief bready maltiness quickly gives way to tomato juice pulpiness. Spicy peppercorns and tangy dill fill out the palate. Herbal, vegetal bitterness mixes with the peppery spiciness nicely. Lingering tomato in the finish. Good umami in this beer! Medium-full body with a pulpy feel. Well-executed and spot on for what it wants to be. Definitely not an everyday, session beer, but it has its place. I feel like this would pair nicely with pizza, or simply with a late morning hangover. Keep up the great original work Shorts!

10-21-2010 02:02:02 | More by alexgash
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

Poured into pils glass.

Pours a light layer of white head. Color is murky hazed burnt rustic orange.

Aroma: Pretty close to a bloody mary. Peppers, tomatoes, celery flavors, and a bit of hot sauce. Pretty unique. I like it.

Taste: It tastes like a lighter bodied bloody mary. It has all the flavors, just a thinner feel to it. Tomato juice, hot sauce, crushed black pepper, celery sticks, and a hint of olives. This is pretty awesome.

Mouthfeel: Spiced and clean. Light to medium bodied with a low to medium amount of carbonation. Ends dry with some more spice.

Overall, this is a pretty awesome beer. I enjoy bloody marys and this compared well to one for being a beer. This is one I would like to see around MN. Thanks Dave for sending this one out!

11-18-2010 23:32:59 | More by mothman
Gosox8787

New Hampshire

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle poured into a Sam Adams pint glass. I chilled this in the refrigerator a while before opening.

Appearance: Cloudy dark orange to light red in color. Not much of a head on the pour. Leaves a nice lacing throughout drinking.

Aroma: Strong stewed tomato notes really stand out here. A touch of horseradish and dill are here too. I'm a bit surprised here at the amount of tomato present. Nice balance of savory and herbal while still maintaining qualities of beer.

Taste: Peppercorn spice hits here pretty hard. The tomato is significantly more subued. A touch of herbal bitterness here too (not sure if its from hops or a side effect of the peppercorns. Some nice smooth malt notes here too. I was surprised at how well the Bloody Mary flavors were integrated without the beer struggling to find a flavor profile.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied and a little syrupy, but with enough carbonation to stay lively.

Drinkability: The ABV really feels lower than 8.5% and the flavors are certainly not offputting. I still just cannot imagine more than one as it is sort of a novelty beer.

Overall, a pleasant surprise that integrated the Bloody Mary with beer quite well. The flavors were enjoyable and subdued but I do wish that the tomato played a more significant role in the flavor, not just the aroma.

12-09-2010 00:13:31 | More by Gosox8787
Mora2000

Thanks to StormKing47 for sending me this bottle. The beer pours a hazy orange color with a white head. The aroma is heavy on the black pepper, celery, horseradish and dill. I don’t get too much tomato in the aroma. The aroma is very herbal overall. The flavor is similar and is very similar to a bloody mary. I get a lot of dill and other herbs, along with some tomato and horseradish. I didn’t think these flavors would work well in a beer, but this beer is unique and remarkably. good. Definitely glad I got to try this one. I don’t like bloody mary’s, but I really enjoyed this beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

05-04-2011 04:04:30 | More by Mora2000
ChainGangGuy

Georgia

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Appearance: Pours a clearish, amberish body with a small, though sustained, white head.

Smell: A real treat to smell, you can easily pick out the tomatoes, horseradish, dill, and spices. Yes, yes, it's starting to remind me of...

Taste: A blend of lager beer and Bloody Mary Mix. A nice, distinct, though not overdone horseradish and pepper spiciness. Somewhat mild, lightly sweetish tomato character. A hint of sugar and rock salt. Bloody Mary through and through on the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-bodied. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: As with the Peaches & Creme, it's quite interesting, although I may lean towards that beer in terms of drinkability. However, they set a goal to reach and delivered in terms of honest-to-goodness Bloody Mary flavor. Other specialty beers fall way short of this, so kudos to Short's in that regard.

05-05-2008 03:27:45 | More by ChainGangGuy
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

Really excited to try my first beer from the up and coming Short's Brewing. I think with this beer you really have to take in account what they were shooting for in this brew and review accordingly.

Pours to a hazy murky orange amber with a full rocky two inch light tan head that fades in minutes. Nose has distinct tones of peppercorns and hops, this is an odd but pleasant combination. With first sip you get a pairing of even hops and a raw, crisp vegetable feel. The celery feel is truely there along with the uncrushed peppercorns. There is even a hint of malt like sweetness with tomato skin on the back of the tongue. Mouthfeel is very smooth and almost creamy. This beer is very different but nicely drinkable.

08-17-2008 19:44:15 | More by SPLITGRIN
mikereaser

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

A - pours a murky rusty orange with a thin layer of bubbles that quickly fade to just a ring of froth that left some lacing down the glass
S - The aroma is distinctly tomato with a mix of spices and celery. Nothing too overwhelmingly strong, just a unique smell for a beer.
T - Wow, it really is like drinking a bloody mary, it even has a thicker feel too it. The tomato is there along with some of the celery seed, hint of horseradish finishing with just a small amount of hops.
M - medium bodied, light carbonation, has the feel and taste of a bloody mary
D - One for the night is fine with me, but this was very enjoyable. Just not one i'd drink regularly.

10-30-2011 02:29:14 | More by mikereaser
malty

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

An ultra-fresh 12 oz. bottle recently released.

Pours a dirty light copper with very good clarity. The very light beige head stays sturdy at 1" with a beautiful density & creaminess. Nice rings of lace all the way down.

Very, very accurate representation of scents which are listed on the bottom of the front label; Roma tomatoes, peppercorns, celery seed & dill. Horseradish is also listed, but I'm not smelling that one. Let's hope I can taste it.

Very peppery (just how I prefer my bloody's) with a nice dill element in there. The tomatoes are very well-rounded and almost stewed tasting - in that the acidity is nicely cut/quelled. The celery seed is very realistic/accurate and very well placed in this mixture. As this beer warms, the horseradish does come out right at the end. I believe Short's didn't want the Horseradish to steal the show, and they've done a great job in placing it last.

Mouthfeel is very airy and pretty spot-on medium bodied. Carbonation is very fine and at a moderate level. The lush, SAVORY tomato flavors and all its glorious spices linger long into the finish.

Drinkability is very good for such an odd specialty beer. I will have no problem drinking this, but will not long for another right after.

Overall this beer a spectacular representation of the listed ingredients. There is nothing fake or contrived tasting about this ale. The ingredients taste very high quality and are all perfectly balanced. Just like the Strawberry Short's Cake, this baby really delivers what it's advertised to be. To fully appreciate the quality craftsmanship that is Short's, you should really try to get a hold of these and experience the quirky and spectacular world of Short's.

10-26-2010 00:51:44 | More by malty
FanofHefe

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

No dating on the bottle or label. Pours a hazy yellow/orange body with a small off-white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no real lacing. This not a very attractive color for a beer.

The aroma is a very interesting combination of tomato juice and pepper. Never smelled a beer like this before. Seems to be a bit of citrus in the background.

Plenty of tomoato in the flavor as well. A bit of a spicy pepper bite comes into play, and the citrus hop notes are more muted in the flavor overall, but still present.

Medium consistency in the mouthfeel. Overall, this was recommended by a local beer guy and I liked it much better than I thought I would. Experimentation sometimes goes very bad, but this one is solid.

10-04-2011 23:53:17 | More by FanofHefe
GRPunk

3.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I'm a fan of the occasional Bloody Mary. Let's see how far Short's goes with the theme.

Bottle poured into my Siciliano's mug.

A- Tomato-like body is a mix of reds/yellows/and oranges. It seems appropriate for both the style and fall season. A somewhat conservative pour created a 1/2-finger, off-white head. The body displayed heavy carbonation.

S- While in the bottle, it came off as very "Bloddy Mary." Pepper, celery salt, tomato. Once poured, it opens up with similar qualities. Whether it's a Bloody Mary, marinara, or pizza sauce, it definitely has a spiced/herbed tomato quality.

T- Now that's pretty cool. There's a blast of tomato up front. Pepper, celery salt, and herbs come in through the middle and really "pop" in the finish.

M- This is a full bodied beer, even thickish. Medium-light carbonation. Thick viscosity is ok because I think they are trying to emulate the tomato juice feel. It might be unpleasant otherwise.

O- This is a great approximation of a Bloody Mary in my book. It's not something I'm going to session, but a great experiment that I'm glad I tried.

10-23-2011 20:07:03 | More by GRPunk
akorsak

3.9/5  rDev +15.4%

Bottle 606 of 864 purchased at the Bellaire brewpub last summer. Shared with ksak and AnnieSak.

A: The beer has an amber golden glow until the end of the bottle, when yeast takes the ale to a much darker brown. Even before the yeast, the ale was opaque. Two plus fingers of white head came on the first pour and left islands of lace scattered around the mouth of the glass.

S: What an aroma! Ground pepper and horseradish lead the way with ripe tomatoes in pursuit. The ingredients, per the bottle, don't seem appealing but they work.

T: The zestier aspects of the ale come through first. Ground black pepper, sharp with a bit of heat, mixed with horseradish. That is where the heat really kicks up, with the root adding a fiery element. The ale's body, an unlikely blend of malts and tomatos. After a brief tomato interlude, the horseradish and pepper return. The finish has all aspects working together, a bloody mary without the excess booze.

M: The mouthfeel is very spicy, prickly even. The horseradish and pepper, they are zesty and bold, quite a treat.

D: The flavors are bold, so bold tat I was glad to have a few people to share the bottle with.

05-09-2010 00:24:25 | More by akorsak