2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
lochef81

3.84/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This is not a bottle I would have ever picked up on my own but I received this as part of a bottle share with a friend of mine. I'm very glad I did. This ale pours a deep reddish hue with very little head and lacing. The aroma is tomatoey and sweet with spicy notes. It sips medium bodied and coats the palate quite well. The flavor is very much that of a well made bloody Mary. Tomato on the front followed by a great amount of celery seed and pepper. I don't get the horseradish mentioned on the label but this bottle is some time old. I despise bloody Mary's (other than when I'm in Vegas) but this ale is delicious and makes me rethink my opinion of its inspiration.

03-05-2014 05:41:49 | More by lochef81
cpetrone84

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

07-12-2013 16:08:40 | More by cpetrone84
chugalug06

Colorado

4.63/5  rDev +37%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Very small white head on top of orange crystal brew. No lacing.

Amazing amount of peppercorn, sage, spice, celery, tomato, very clean aroma.

Smooth, light, relaxed, no heat, very little bite with wonderful transitions throughout the many flavors. Nailed the flavor, dead on, exactly what I expected and wanted. Tastes just like a a bloody beer (minus some of the spice). Fizzy carbonation slightly detracts, but I can get over it. Zero bitterness, and dry sweetness.

This brew is amazing. I could drink this every day for the rest of my life... If you like Bloody Mary's or Bloody Beers, than this should be considered a MUST TRY!!! A (near) perfect beer from Shorts, Thank you abanton!!!

06-30-2013 22:34:31 | More by chugalug06
superspak

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 9/19/2012. Pours slightly hazy orange copper color with a 1 finger foamy off white head with good retention, that reduces to a thin lace. Slight spotty lacing clings to the glass. Aromas of tomato, tomato skins, black peppercorn, celery seed, celery stalks, dill, horseradish, and herbal earthiness. Nice and extremely interesting aromas with good strength and balance; all of the spices mentioned on the bottle definitely show up. Taste of roma tomato, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery, celery seed, herbal, grass, light hot sauce, and earthy spiciness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of roma tomatoes, black peppercorn, dill, horseradish, celery seed, grass, herbal, slight hot sauce, and earthy spiciness on the finish for a good bit. Nice and interesting flavors that are robust and well balanced; with zero cloying flavors after the finish. Light-medium cabonation and medium bodied; with a fairly slick and creamy mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming noticed after the finish. Overall this is a very solid experimental spiced beer. Very unique and interesting; nicely balanced and smooth. I have never had a Bloody Mary before, so I cant comment on that note; but I would still say that they did a good job of what they were after. Fairly enjoyable stuff for me.

01-17-2013 04:59:04 | More by superspak
tectactoe

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

10-25-2012 12:09:46 | More by tectactoe
trxxpaxxs

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Reviewed Blind, courtesy of abraxel:

A: Pours a deep translucent gold with slight brown and red hues. There is about a half finger of head that fades quickly. The foam settles into a thin ring along the edges of the glass. There is minimal lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is peppery (peppercorns), with a bit of added spice, and some sort of tartness. It doesn’t smelly like yeast funk, but there is a weirdness in there that I just can’t seem to put my finger on.

T: It starts out smooth with a lot of fresh cracked pepper to start. As is moves towards the middle of the beer, I get quick brine like tartness, and then I get a bit of spice towards the finish. I reminds me of a Bloody Mary.

M: Medium bodied beer. It’s clean to start, the flavors transition nicely, and the heat lingers for a bit. I’m a big fan of the pepper notes, but there is something about this beer that makes it hard to drink. It’s that acidic bite.

O: This beer isn’t terrible, but it’s just not my thing. I love the pepper in it, but that funk/tart/whatever it is that is in there is a bit off-putting. I’m happy to have tried this, especially blind, but I don’t think I’d want to drink it again.

My guess: Some wacky hybrid Bloody Mary beer.

The reveal: Short’s Bloody Beer. (Specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.)

Damn. No joke. Short’s nailed it. This beer tastes just like a Bloody Mary. Haha.

10-21-2012 16:23:19 | More by trxxpaxxs
MrBluto

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

I think this may be the absolutely worst beer I have ever had (other than a failed home brew perhaps). Sure, this was a specialty beer, and I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't expecting too much, but thought it would be better than it was. The appearance, smell, mouthfeel and even the initial taste was ok. I could smell the tomatoes, and there was a definite Bloody Mary flavor in the beginning. But the aftertaste...argh! I couldn't get rid of it. It was sour, almost rotten tasting.

Some of you may be thinking that I don't like bloody Mary's or don't know what a good Bloody Mary taste like. Trust me, I know my bloody Mary's!

Ok, perhaps I got a bad bottle....possible, particularly since others liked it, but I don't think I am going to risk trying it again.

10-12-2012 21:49:48 | More by MrBluto
Alextricity

2.3/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Right away, I'll say I like this beer far less than I'm indicating with the scores.

Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color.

Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well.

Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it's great. As a pickle brine lover (it's sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don't love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I'm not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you're a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn't have guessed the ABV was so high.

Basically, my review doesn't help anybody who's not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

10-11-2012 23:48:55 | More by Alextricity
dfillius

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint glass
A: 1/2 finger of off-white head with fair retention. Liquid is a cloudy amber-ish red. Good looking but I'd like more head.
S: Caramel, whipped cream, tomato, pepper, caraway. Smells good!
T: Bloody Mary all the way. Slight tomato at the end. Slightly metallic, which is a negative. A little too earthy and spicy as well. Too much dill? Good flavor overall. Tastier than I imagined it would be. It seems a bit unbalanced. Celery and dill may be a bit too strong.
M: A tad thin, good spiciness.
D: Fairly good. I'd have another, but i won't buy 6.

09-05-2012 01:48:20 | More by dfillius
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

3.65/5  rDev +8%

Two and a half years old, I am having this beer, courtesy of Steven. It slightly looks but very much tastes of a Bloody Mary. The pickled aspect has taken over, fortunately, and I am easily able to enjoy this with my wife's salad. Therefore vegetable aromas, a bit pickle, a look of cloudy orange. Average and a bit oily mouthfeel. Decent drinkability but not something I could have nightly.

07-09-2012 02:29:36 | More by Sammy
TheStove

3.48/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a mini pint glass. Pours a cloudy amber with a slight head. Smells light and fruit almost like a hefeweizen but with hints of V8. Subsequent smells yield a more consistent tomato aroma.

Sips nice and spicy almost like a wit but with noticeable tomato overtones. Slight bit of heat (likely from the horseradish) brings up the back end with the hop bitterness. Belgiany mouthfeel makes it zip on your tongue. It leaves an oddly enjoyable lingering flavor of a delicious spaghetti dinner on the tongue between sips.

This one is pretty easy in my book. If you're a traditionalist and this grosses you out, keep your nose in whatever you like to drink. If you enjoy experiments and interesting beers, this carbonated V8 likely knocks it out of the park for you. I'll concede I probably couldn't have too many of these but credit is due to Shorts for again pushing the boundaries of craft brewing.

02-02-2012 05:13:16 | More by TheStove
DannyDan

3.53/5  rDev +4.4%

A. Pours out a red amber hue with a thin white head that leaves minimal retention and lacing, but has decent carbonation.
S. Smells similar to a bloody mary.
T. The taste starts out with some peppercorn and other spices followed by a tomato taste and finishes off with some floral and citrus hops that seem to ruin the taste of the other ingredients.
M. Sticky and the sweet tomato taste clings to the lips and tongue.
O. Not something that I would drink again, but it is made good for what it is and do think that if the hops at the end of the taste were more balanced it be the perfect drink for bloody mary lovers.

12-03-2011 07:44:48 | More by DannyDan
Alieniloquium

3.63/5  rDev +7.4%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass. The last of the set of Short's beers from MarcatGSB.

Appearance - Pours a deep orange color with a small, fleeting white head. I expected a redder color. Again, Short's beers have no head retention.

Smell - Smells like a subdued Bloody Mary. Tomatoes are the strongest, but it has it's fair share of light malt aromas. A little bready from the malt. I get a huge whiff of the celery, too.

Taste - The tomato isn't as prominent in the flavor as it is in the aroma. A lot more of the spices come through. The celery and peppercorns in particular. No horseradish, which might be a good thing. Finishes pretty clean with only some remnants of tomato lingering.

Mouthfeel - A little bit heavy, but otherwise a nice body. Well carbonated and no offensive flavors are putting me off.

Overall - Well, it does exactly what it set out to do. It's a Bloody Mary beer. It's pretty spot on, but the jury is still out on whether it's a flavor combination that's absolutely necessary in a beer.

11-30-2011 01:33:34 | More by Alieniloquium
StoutHunter

3.65/5  rDev +8%

I picked up a bottle of Short's Bloody Beer last week for $2.49 at The Lager Mill. I have been wanting to try this beer for a while since I am a fan of Bloody Mary's and I thought I had missed out on this years release, but luckily my brother spotted one hidden deep in a cooler so I knew I had to give it a try, so let's see how this crazy beer goes. No visible bottling date, but I know its about a month old. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a snifter.

A- I really like the label on this beer, it's drawn really well and suits this beer nicely. This beer poured a nice redish amber color with two fingers worth of fluffy white head that died down to a thin layer that stayed till the end.

S-H It smells similar to a Bloody Mary, but not nearly as in your face as I thought it would be. It starts off with a sweet malty aroma mixed with Roma Tomatoes, the combination makes for a very unique aroma. Next comes the dill which is pretty noticeable and another aroma that I can't quite put my finger on but I think it might be the celery seed. It kind of smells similar to Nicie Spicie with the added aromas of tomatoes and dill.

T- Wow this is one unusual tasting beer. It starts off with the malty base of this beer which I find to be very similar to Nicie Spicie, I wouldn't be surprised if they used a version of that for the base of this beer. Next comes the tomatoes which aren't as bold as I thought they would be, but the lighter flavor blends nicely with the malt base. After that comes the spices with dill being the most noticeable and there was also some peppercorns and what I assume to be celery seed. I could use more spice in this beer, the peppercorns are nice and noticeable but I don't pick up any Horseradish in this beer, if it had more heat to it and a bolder tomato taste it would be exactly like the cocktail. The finish was a little malty with some tomatoes and dill on the finish and in the aftertaste.

M- Smooth, on the full side of being medium bodied and it had a nice amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel worked pretty good with this beer, I think that if it was thicker like the cocktail is it would really hurt the drinkability.

Overall I thought this was a pretty good Experimental beer from Short's. It wasn't exactly like drinking a Bloody Mary, but I would say it is a good attempt at making a Bloody Mary in beer form, Experimental beers should still taste somewhat like a beer and this one does. For a beer like this it has pretty good drinkability, some of these experimental beers don't go down to smooth but this one does, I am splitting this with my brother, but if I had a full bottle to myself I don't think I would have a problem finishing it. What I liked most about this beer was the flavor, it was a Bloody Mary in beer form, just what it claimed to be, and what I wanted it to be. What I liked least about this beer was the lack of spiciness, I like my Bloody Mary's spicy, and this beer wasn't spicy, I wish the Horseradish was noticeable and added some heat to this beer. I will for sure be buying a six pack of this if it is released next year, it seems like it would make a great warm weather beer, too bad it only comes out in the fall, it would be nice to have this released in July. If weird and unique beers are your thing then you need to give this beer a try, I don't think you have to love Bloody Marys to like this beer, but it probably helps. This beer was unique, unusual. and pretty true to its name, and that is what I look for in Experimental beer for Short's. I really that fact that Short's takes a risk on beers like this and distributes them, I don't think there are many brewery's that could pull off a Bloody Mary beer, and if they did it would probably be draft only, I don't think they would be as confident as Short's is and sell it in six packs. Short's really has a gift when it comes to these off the wall Experimental beers and I am glad to have the chance to try as many as possible, keep up the good work guys, maybe a Mojito beer is in order.
Update- The 2012 batch has a litlle less roma tomato flavors with much more dill and celery seed showing up, my rating stays the same but i like the 2012 a litlle more than the 2011 release, it's such a crazy tasting beer.

11-26-2011 05:23:00 | More by StoutHunter
scottfrie

3.65/5  rDev +8%

12oz bottle into Anderson Valley snifter. Split with a friend. Thanks for the tick, Jay.

A: Pours a murky dirty peach color with a thin and wispy white head that left a network of thin lace down the glass.
S: This smells much less offensive than I was expecting. The tomato smells bright and actually resembles the smell of a fresh cut tomato. The celery is also very noticeable. Upon warming a bit of the spices come through, especially the pepper, but these are not as prominent as the tomato or celery.
T: I get notes of tomato, celery, dill, horseradish and peppercorns in that order. This tastes like a salad bar with extra tomato, and is definitely similar to a bloody mary. I get some notes of what taste like golden ale base, but I have no clue.
M: Medium-thick body, chewy mouthfeel, with light tingly carbonation.
O: This was a strange and unique experience. I’m not a huge fan of bloody mary’s, but I can appreciate that this beer taste very similar to the cocktail, in a good way. I’m glad I got to try this, I was very curious. Thanks again jbck109.

11-23-2011 00:15:11 | More by scottfrie
madeofsteel

3.65/5  rDev +8%

I am game for just about anything Short's puts out, and this one just sounded too odd to pass on. Might be disastrous, but I admire the folks at Short's for their willingness to experiment. Goddammit, someone's gotta.

A - Pours a color that's almost split 50/50 between orange and red... although it leans a bit on the red side. Almost no head, and no lacing.

S - It smells exactly like a bloody mary alright... tomato, celery, and some faint dill. I have no idea what to expect.

T - Aside from what you might expect from this beer, it has kind of a sour-sweet flavor... call me crazy, but I was expecting it to be spicier, since that's the norm for the flavor being re-created here. That's a bit disappointing. I like it, but it is a little sweet for what I was expecting/hoping for. Tomato is dominating, but if you're patient you can tell there are other "normal" bloody mary flavors at work here.

M - Smooth, with minimal carbonation. Very drinkable.

O - If you enjoy novelty beers, are a Michigan resident, or are just plain adventurous, what do you have to lose? It's not bad, just very, very bizarre.

11-16-2011 01:01:07 | More by madeofsteel
lurpy1

3.7/5  rDev +9.5%

A drink that is one part beer, one part Bloody Mary? Only Short's. But I love all things tomato juice, so what the hell, I'm game. Split at a tasting, great way to minimize the risk.

Pours an evil looking orangish red. Not unappealing as much as an appearance that begs the question, "what in god's name have I gotten myself in to?"

The smell is part hop, vaguely tomato, with a clear boquet of bloody mary spices. Not bad

The tomato fades into the background taste-wise, it's the dill that really moves in to the spotlight. And I'll be darned, dill-based beers are pretty freakin good! Who woulda thunk it! The dill just has a way of harmonizing very well with the beer grains. If Short's comes out with a basil beer, let me know where to find it.

Mouthfeel is good but a little bit of an acidic finish.

I enjoyed this enough to try it again. Two caveats: If you don't like Bloody Mary's, don't bother, this won't work for you. Second, everyone else at the tasting despised this beer and left me to finish the lion's share of the bottle, but to a man, they like Short's Cornholio, which I thought was plumb grody. You just can't account for personal taste. So clearly, this is not a beer designed for widespread appeal.

11-13-2011 15:06:12 | More by lurpy1
mikereaser

3.98/5  rDev +17.8%

A - pours a murky rusty orange with a thin layer of bubbles that quickly fade to just a ring of froth that left some lacing down the glass
S - The aroma is distinctly tomato with a mix of spices and celery. Nothing too overwhelmingly strong, just a unique smell for a beer.
T - Wow, it really is like drinking a bloody mary, it even has a thicker feel too it. The tomato is there along with some of the celery seed, hint of horseradish finishing with just a small amount of hops.
M - medium bodied, light carbonation, has the feel and taste of a bloody mary
D - One for the night is fine with me, but this was very enjoyable. Just not one i'd drink regularly.

10-30-2011 02:29:14 | More by mikereaser
GRPunk

3.93/5  rDev +16.3%

I'm a fan of the occasional Bloody Mary. Let's see how far Short's goes with the theme.

Bottle poured into my Siciliano's mug.

A- Tomato-like body is a mix of reds/yellows/and oranges. It seems appropriate for both the style and fall season. A somewhat conservative pour created a 1/2-finger, off-white head. The body displayed heavy carbonation.

S- While in the bottle, it came off as very "Bloddy Mary." Pepper, celery salt, tomato. Once poured, it opens up with similar qualities. Whether it's a Bloody Mary, marinara, or pizza sauce, it definitely has a spiced/herbed tomato quality.

T- Now that's pretty cool. There's a blast of tomato up front. Pepper, celery salt, and herbs come in through the middle and really "pop" in the finish.

M- This is a full bodied beer, even thickish. Medium-light carbonation. Thick viscosity is ok because I think they are trying to emulate the tomato juice feel. It might be unpleasant otherwise.

O- This is a great approximation of a Bloody Mary in my book. It's not something I'm going to session, but a great experiment that I'm glad I tried.

10-23-2011 20:07:03 | More by GRPunk
doughanson78

Washington

3.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Thanks to thabigmp for this one. I've never had a Bloody Mary before.

A: Reddish orange in the middle with yellow edges, like blood poured into the middle of some yellow juice. A slight wisp of a white head that quickly disappears and leaves no lacing.

S: Definitely get lots of tomatoes. Like tomato paste. A peppery spice, the celery seed, and some light horseradish. Very weird to smell in a beer but it is well blended.

T: Definitely different. Lots of tomatoes upfront and all the way through to the finish. Pepper and horseradish come through but not hot at all. A light citrusy bitterness in the middle. Maybe a touch of the celery seed and dill in the finish.

M: Medium light bodied. Some creaminess. Medium light carbonation. Slightly dry.

O: Nothing bad with this beer. Don't know if they accomplished what they were going for as I've never had a Bloody Mary. That said this is definitely not a beer for me.

10-21-2011 00:11:18 | More by doughanson78
clint1019

3.55/5  rDev +5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Medium amber in color with no head what so ever.

S - The smell is amazingly close to a bloody mary. You can really smell the tomatoes and celery seed.

T - Tomatoes, pepper, celery, and a slight malt flavor.

M - Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation.

O - Not your typical beer, but then again whats typical about shorts. This is a great cross between a beer and bloody mary.

10-19-2011 22:35:39 | More by clint1019
Avagadro

3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Short's Bloody Beer boasts the most unique color I've seen in my glass, with its murky blood-orange body penetrated by a touch of lazy lacing. There is no head whatsoever.

S: The aroma is... surprisingly ale-like, and dominated by toffee and biscuit.

T: The malty ale qualities persist, with more caramel and toast. I get hints of pepper and horseradish here and there, but, for the most part, they are so faint that they are imperceptible.

M: The body is slightly bigger than usual, due to the tomato, but is fairly lackluster otherwise. I was hoping for some viscosity, as I enjoy in my Zing-Zang bloodies.

O: Short's played me wrong here, promoting a beer that, by name, was sure to be extreme in nature. What I received, however, was a duck out. They took the flavors boasted on the packaging; the pepper, tomatoes, dill, and horseradish; and dialed them down so low that no one would be able to tell that they were there. I have to admit, the prospect of a Bloody Mary beer frightened me, despite my passion for this mid-day indulgence. Hopefully someone out there can make one that actually resembles this delicious cocktail.

10-11-2011 03:02:39 | More by Avagadro
FanofHefe

3.95/5  rDev +16.9%

No dating on the bottle or label. Pours a hazy yellow/orange body with a small off-white head. The head dissipates quickly and leaves no real lacing. This not a very attractive color for a beer.

The aroma is a very interesting combination of tomato juice and pepper. Never smelled a beer like this before. Seems to be a bit of citrus in the background.

Plenty of tomoato in the flavor as well. A bit of a spicy pepper bite comes into play, and the citrus hop notes are more muted in the flavor overall, but still present.

Medium consistency in the mouthfeel. Overall, this was recommended by a local beer guy and I liked it much better than I thought I would. Experimentation sometimes goes very bad, but this one is solid.

10-04-2011 23:53:17 | More by FanofHefe
jale

3.4/5  rDev +0.6%

A: Pours a cloudy reddish amber with two quarters of off white head.

S: Smells like a V8.

T: Starts out like a bloody mary with a hint of sweetness. Tomato followed by peppercorns. After the pepper spice comes a grapefruit hop bitterness that I don't think works well with the bloody mary taste. A little dill in the finish.

M: Lighter side of medium with good carbonation.

O: Not my cup of tea.

09-30-2011 01:22:29 | More by jale
jmunsters

3.68/5  rDev +8.9%

Picked up a six pack to share day of distribution in the Grand Rapids area (9/28/11). Poured into a snifter.

A - Light to moderate pour produced a very thin half finger head that dissipated very quickly. Warm copper body...was expecting it to be more red.

S - Hops up front. Smells like a "healthy" IPA at first really. You can really get the tomato and spices. Smells like a V8, maybe even a mild chili.

T - Hoppy fresh tomatoes followed by a really sweet and slightly spicy finish. The dill and peppercorn is apparent on the back end. The sweetness kind of lingers.

M - Quite flat and thin really. I would prefer more carbonation if it stayed as thin, otherwise, I'd really like a more syrupy roasted tomato taste..

O - I'm glad I tried it, but not sure I need it again. I know this does not sit well on the shelves, so if you find it more than a few weeks past it's early Autumn release, I imagine you would find it to taste a lot more like rotten vegetables.

09-29-2011 23:48:31 | More by jmunsters