2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 182 | Reviews: 94 | Show All Ratings:
MbpBugeye

1.38/5  rDev -59.2%

This was brought out by Normyk at his house while we were all over there for a tasting on 3/5/11. I must say, I probably was the only one super excited to try this one. I guess my curiosity is much more morbid than most. For the record, I absolutely HATE bloody marys. A good early morning cocktail? Yeah, if you like to start your day with nausea.

About 3 oz into a sampler tulip. Trust me 3 oz was enough to review this one. Its a sipper, but for unique reasons.

A- Others commented on the floaties in this beer. Floaty might be a different term than I would use because it doesnt look like some bottle conditioning yeast got mixed into the pour. Its more like "sporadic haziness". This beer would be clear if it werent for tons of grains of what looks like salt suspended in its body. Maybe this beer comes pre-garnished with undissolved celery salt. I dunno, its bizarre.

S- Geeeze. Another instance where my nose is telling my brain to avoid consuming this stuff at all costs. True, it does smell a lot like a bloody mary, but its just a shame that bloody marys smell like the trash can outside a vegan's house. Plenty of Tabasco, which is fine, but then there comes a time and a place for Tabasco. There is also lots of dill. Pickles, man! Tomato juice or V-8 with lots of salt and pepper.

T- Before my brain shifts into fight-or-flight mode, I take a sip. The first one was too quick, ripping-off-a-band-aid style. I slowed it down, thinking of all the starving children in the world. Some mixed vegetable juice builds the body of the flavor, a rancid pedestal on which pickle juice flavoring stands. The dill accosts my palate like a soccer hooligan who's drunk on fermented trash.

M- Ironically I found the mouthfeel to be the worst part of this beer. The whole time drinking this I was still able to tell myself that they reached their goal of making a bloody mary beer, despite how gross it is.
But what would a gross beer be without a thoroughly gross mouthfeel? This one brings it. People talk about slick mouthfeels, this one is SLIMY. For a comparison, go deep inside an underground cave and just start licking the walls, paying close attention to the big, sweaty stalactites hanging from the ceiling.

D- What the dill were they thinking!?

03-07-2011 22:55:38 | More by MbpBugeye
sweemzander

1.45/5  rDev -57.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to steebo777 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced some white bubbles.

(S)- This smells like a vegetable and herb garden put-together. Earthy tomatoes and spices. Very weird but interesting.

(T)- Very veggie oriented with a very heavy dose of dill and pepper spice.

(M)- A good carbonation level. This is just plain weird. Its like they mashed up a veggie and herb garden and brewed it with a really simple base beer. Bitter, spicy, and tomatoes.

(D)- If someone can enjoy this, then all the power to you, however this for me almost activates a gag reflex. I realize this was made to try and depict a bloody mary, but at the same time you REALLY gotta like dill because it is really overwhelming in this.

03-11-2011 03:27:32 | More by sweemzander
Spider889

1.8/5  rDev -46.7%

This 12oz bottle was more than enough to sustain the appetite of the 12 or so we had at our tasting. Shared by Normyk.

This was, and currently still is, the only Shorts beer I have ever had. At the time I was pumped to try it after all I have heard about the strange concoctions that this brewery comes up with. I had never heard of this one though... interesting premise, but a bloody mary beer? I have to admit I had some reservations.

A golden color with large white soap bubbles for head. The color wasn't so much 'off' as it just didn't seem appropriate for what this beer was trying to achieve. Thinking back on it, Shorts should have made the base beer a red ale or something.

Smelled like watery V8 and slightly hoppy salsa. We're definitely off to a good start now! There's a little horseradish in the nose as well. It certainly does smell like there's some tomato and spice in there. Unappetizing for a beer, for sure.

The taste had a lot of tomato character. Way too hoppy for what was intended. The horseradish becomes really pronounced and makes for a peppery flavor with a little hot kick to it. Why is the abv nearly 9%? It isn't helping things.

The mouthfeel seemed a little gritty, despite the apparent clarity of the brew.

I guess for what was intended this delivers on at least some points. But I could barely stomach the 3oz pour I had. And I really enjoy a good bloody mary sometimes.

04-16-2011 09:13:11 | More by Spider889
ATLbeerDog

Georgia

2.03/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours very orange red with a small head, and average lacing. Average carbonation with a sweet spicy smell of celery and dill. Tastes bitter and spicy...like the kitchen floor an Italian restaurant. This is strange and tastes like thanksgiving turkey stuffing. Best use maybe for cooking???

05-04-2008 01:27:19 | More by ATLbeerDog
tectactoe

2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

10-25-2012 12:09:46 | More by tectactoe
Alextricity

2.3/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Right away, I'll say I like this beer far less than I'm indicating with the scores.

Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color.

Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well.

Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it's great. As a pickle brine lover (it's sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don't love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I'm not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you're a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn't have guessed the ABV was so high.

Basically, my review doesn't help anybody who's not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

10-11-2012 23:48:55 | More by Alextricity
orangesol

2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato's, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary's but this one really didn't do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short's beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

02-03-2011 21:40:52 | More by orangesol
portia99

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

12oz bottle received from jpmclaug in a recent trade. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter. This beer scares me a bit...not much of a bloody mary fan....so - deep breath, and let's give it a try.

A - Pours with major particlulate in the body with spoils a bit an otherwise pretty red/orangey light amber color. A thin collar surrounds the edge of the glass although nothing resembling a head ever formed on top of this beer.

S - An odd combination of herbs/spices...I pick up black pepper and celery most of all, but the tomatoes certainly can't be ignored...and maybe just got this from reading the label, but I also can detect a bit of horseradish in there too. Not much can be said for finding any typical beer aromas here.

T - Buttery, celery, tomato juice, pepper, a bit of malt underneath all of this. Can't say this is much of a surprise, given the name and the stated ingredients. A noticeable horseradish tingle/burn? felt on the back of the throat. I'm trying hard to give this a shot, but it really isn't hitting me at all...as I said, not a bloody mary lover at all though.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Loaded with flavors that I'm not accustomed to having in beer, or any other beverage (mostly by choice as I typically stay away from the vegetable based juices/drinks). Horseradish tingle into the aftertaste.

D - Well, I'm pretty sure that I won't be coming back to this one again. I definitely appreciate the unique effort put forth on this one and also the opportunity to give it a shot. Suffice to say, this isn't up my alley at all. I'm not the best judge of this given my flavor preferences, so take this review with a grain of salt.

01-07-2011 02:37:02 | More by portia99
MrBluto

2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

I think this may be the absolutely worst beer I have ever had (other than a failed home brew perhaps). Sure, this was a specialty beer, and I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't expecting too much, but thought it would be better than it was. The appearance, smell, mouthfeel and even the initial taste was ok. I could smell the tomatoes, and there was a definite Bloody Mary flavor in the beginning. But the aftertaste...argh! I couldn't get rid of it. It was sour, almost rotten tasting.

Some of you may be thinking that I don't like bloody Mary's or don't know what a good Bloody Mary taste like. Trust me, I know my bloody Mary's!

Ok, perhaps I got a bad bottle....possible, particularly since others liked it, but I don't think I am going to risk trying it again.

10-12-2012 21:49:48 | More by MrBluto
badbeer

Iowa

2.5/5  rDev -26%

Hazy apricot color with a white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of tomato paste, celery, radish, and some other spice I can't quite pick out. Taste is much of the same, but I also get a bit of cracked peppercorn that adds a bit of a bite to it. Body is light and carbonation is medium. Not a big fan of this beer.

05-23-2008 07:33:49 | More by badbeer
mjn5036

New Hampshire

2.58/5  rDev -23.7%

I am not going to lie; I am kind of horrified going into this one. What a strange combination of ingredients; Roma tomatoes, peppercorn and horseradish. 12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass. This one pours a hazy orange that turns into a blood orange when all the sediment from the bottom of the bottle enters the glass. A small off-white head rises from the pour and quickly dispels. No lacing is left on the sides of the glass but with a swirl soapy suds cover the sides and slink their way downwards.

The nose is spicy, sweet and slightly acidic. Maybe it is in my head but I feel like I can smell the tomato, the peppercorn and horseradish.

The taste is...different. It is like a Bloody Mary mix with a beer base, not vodka. Pepper, horseradish and stewed tomatoes work together in this one. I think I'll stick to the vodka to be honest. Shorts has successfully integrated all the flavors of the Bloody Mary into this beer so kudos for that, but it is just not for me unfortunately.

Medium bodied with a strong spiciness throughout and good carbonation.

I am struggling to finish this bottle. I am not ready to write off Shorts because of this one beer as I have heard far too many great things about them, but this one didn't do it.

02-23-2011 22:46:15 | More by mjn5036
kzoobrew

2.63/5  rDev -22.2%

I think we can safely say this is the worlds best tomato beer.

Hazy tomato stained golden yellow body. Two finger white cap with limited retention. Spotty lacing, nothing to write home about.

Not surprisingly Blood Beer smells a lot like a Bloody Mary. Tomato base with all the appropriate spices. Dill, celery and a bit of horseradish are evident. Blindfolded and smelling this I would be hard pressed not to call it a bloody mary mix, although a slightly weaker version.

Tomato, horseradish, dill and peppercorn roll out the glass and across the tongue. Though getting a head of my self a bit, carbonated bloody mary's are not for me, slight seltzer water flavor hangs on the back of the tongue throwing me off. This tastes like Short's Local's Light blended with a bloody mary. Simple may be the best description here.

Light bodied with lively carbonation.Tomato and spice flavor cling to the tongue for a moderately long finish.

I love Short's, this beer is just not for me. Flavors work well in a cocktail but not a beer. The creativity and willingness to experiment should be applauded. With as many homers as this brewery has hit I cannot be too disappointed in one swing and miss. Worth a try, other may appreciate Bloody Beer more than I.

10-18-2010 23:01:20 | More by kzoobrew
nrbw23

2.68/5  rDev -20.7%

A- Pours a murky reddish, golden orange color with quite a bit of floaters and a fairly thin white head. Head has a bit of retention and left no lacing.

S- Smell is horse radish, tomatos and a bit of malts, but the malts are pretty faint.

T- I picked up a peppery spice that I must of missed in the nose. Has more of a food like feel to it than a beer. Tomatos are here, along with horse radish and a bit of a very light funky feel to it. Not like a sour funk just something completely odd that just plain incredibly different to every other beer that I've had. Saw that this one is listed at 8.5 abv, pretty surprised by this and thought it was very well hidden.

M- Medium in body and a fairly good amount of carbonation.

D- Better than some of the crazy beers that I've been able to try from Shorts, but I still don't think I could drink to many of these.

03-07-2011 22:37:32 | More by nrbw23
DavoleBomb

2.75/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a pint glass. I've been wanting to try this for a while

3.5 A: This isn't as "bloody" in color as I would have expected. Opaque dark orange brownish color. One finger of frothy off-white head that falls pretty quickly and leaves just a touch of lacing.

3.0 S: If I didn't know what went into this, I'm pretty sure I'm be appalled. Unsurprisingly vegetal and unforgiving. The tomato and horseradish comes through perhaps a bit too strong. Dill comes through next, but the other stuff is barely detectable.

2.5 T: While the nose is barely passable, the taste is not. Overly vegetal without a strong "beer" backbone. Too much tomato and way too much horseradish (there should be none). I'm also not a big fan of dill in general, so its presence isn't welcomed either. Peppercorns show up.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Fairly creamy, but not particularly smooth.

2.5 D: I love Short's innovation and experimentation, but this goes too far. This is a bit like Mamma Mia pizza beer, but the vegetable component is a lot stronger and makes this almost undrinkable. That said, they nailed what they set out to do. Still, I'll pass on this next time.

04-22-2011 05:03:16 | More by DavoleBomb
mdaschaf

Washington

2.8/5  rDev -17.2%

Review from notes. Someone broke this out at a BBQ I attended.

A: Pours a mottled orange color with a small beige head on top. Minimal retention and lacing.

S: Certainly some tomato, but overwhelmingly spiced. Tons of pepper and horse radish, they really dominated and everything else present didn't come through at all.

T: Similar to the nose, rather spicy/hot from the pepper and horse radish. The tomato helps a bit, but still comes off hot, in addition to the 8.5% it already gets some heat from.

M: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Slightly creamy, but is not smooth drinking.

O: I applaud Shorts for trying, but it just didn't come off very beer like for me. I like spicy/hot food, but this one was a bit harsh for me. It is very much like a bloody mary, but not one that I want seconds of.

06-22-2011 02:50:52 | More by mdaschaf
brstls4drmrs

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

FlandersNed gave me this interesting brew as a bonus.

A - Poured half the bottle in a pint glass. It was a nice amber/blood orange transluscent liquid with a thin white head. Minimal Lacing. The 2nd pour, the rest of the beer, resembled a fuzzy navel. The color was blood orange with various particles floating around.

S - Ever had a red eye? This is V8 in a glass. Some great tomato smell but there's also some dill, peppercorn, basil, and some potato chip too. Its like a vegetable medley of a brew.

T - When it first hits you get the tomato but it quickly moves to various herbs like dill & pepper. Some barley in there too The way that it mixes with the alcohol is just very different. Not my cup of beer (tea). Some salt covered cheery pops out in there too.

M - Feels flat and a little thin. Slight bitter finish.

O - Just not for me. Even tried it paired with a stew. Just didn't work for me.

08-28-2011 02:06:37 | More by brstls4drmrs
cpetrone84

2.9/5  rDev -14.2%

Pour is clear orange amber with a tan head. Nose has so much tomato juice and a faint spice to it. Taste has that tomato juice up front with some sweet berry notes and a light peppery spice. Creamy full body, softer carbonation. Strange beer, not my cup of tea.

07-12-2013 16:08:40 | More by cpetrone84
FosterJM

2.98/5  rDev -11.8%

671st Review on BA
Bottle to Flute
750 ML

App- Well after reading the label I wasn't shocked. Had that V8 juice color with a little bit of head to it. A few bubbles remained around the edges.

Smell- Tomato, pepper, spice. Just a bit weird to me.

Taste- Well, I have never been a fan of tomato juice and in my beer I dont like Cheladas. They seemed to want to do an upscale version of the BMC version. Just a bit awkward on flavors and too overly spiced. Very tomato and pepper.

Mouth- Medium bodied and a almost low carb feel to make it very smooth, shots of pepper and spice dominate the aftertaste.

Drink- Well it certainly was unique and different. Not sure I would come back to it again, the tomato is just too much for me.

07-25-2011 15:09:56 | More by FosterJM
WeisGuy

3.03/5  rDev -10.4%

12oz bottle of the 2010 release shared by sarro - thanks, Kyle!

Pours a hazy, burnt orange color with a light white head that sticks around on the edges only. Not much by way of lacing. Smells like, well, a bloody mary. Tomato juice and celery seed dominate, but you can really pick up the horseradish, cracked pepper and dill as well. Taste is much the same with tomato juice and celery seed up front and the dill and cracked pepper on the midpalate. The horseradish really shows up in the finish with more spicy tomato juice and celery seed lingering on the finish. Light bitterness with some spice on the finish make it rather unpleasant for me. This could be because I don't care much for tomato juice/bloody marys, but I really disliked the finish. Surprisingly light-bodied with moderate carbonation and a balanced finish. There is a light boozy warmth on the palate. For me, this is not very drinkable at all - I labored to get through my 4 oz. pour. I think Short's did a pretty good job at replicating a bloody mary in beer form here, but there is just something that really awkward and off-putting about the flavors. Worth a try for novelty even if you don't like bloody marys, but you should definitely seek this out if you are a fan of the drink.

11-02-2010 00:55:54 | More by WeisGuy
Avagadro

3.05/5  rDev -9.8%

A: Short's Bloody Beer boasts the most unique color I've seen in my glass, with its murky blood-orange body penetrated by a touch of lazy lacing. There is no head whatsoever.

S: The aroma is... surprisingly ale-like, and dominated by toffee and biscuit.

T: The malty ale qualities persist, with more caramel and toast. I get hints of pepper and horseradish here and there, but, for the most part, they are so faint that they are imperceptible.

M: The body is slightly bigger than usual, due to the tomato, but is fairly lackluster otherwise. I was hoping for some viscosity, as I enjoy in my Zing-Zang bloodies.

O: Short's played me wrong here, promoting a beer that, by name, was sure to be extreme in nature. What I received, however, was a duck out. They took the flavors boasted on the packaging; the pepper, tomatoes, dill, and horseradish; and dialed them down so low that no one would be able to tell that they were there. I have to admit, the prospect of a Bloody Mary beer frightened me, despite my passion for this mid-day indulgence. Hopefully someone out there can make one that actually resembles this delicious cocktail.

10-11-2011 03:02:39 | More by Avagadro
TMoney2591

3.08/5  rDev -8.9%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Big thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The tenth and final entry in SwillFest 2011. Thank god. It pours a hazy ruby red grapefruit juice topped by a finger of light cream foam. The nose comprises tart blood orange, gorgonzola, horseradish, garlic, red pepper, and bleu cheese dressing on some mild buffalo wings. The taste holds notes of watered-down bleu cheese dressing, horseradish, light marinara, green pepper, and garlic. The body is a light medium, with a very light moderate carbonation and a creamy feel. Overall, I'm not entirely sure how I feel about this beer. It seems to nail what it was going for, but it doesn't taste entirely that good. It's definitely an experience, though, and I'm glad to have had it.

07-03-2011 19:48:06 | More by TMoney2591
trxxpaxxs

3.2/5  rDev -5.3%

Reviewed Blind, courtesy of abraxel:

A: Pours a deep translucent gold with slight brown and red hues. There is about a half finger of head that fades quickly. The foam settles into a thin ring along the edges of the glass. There is minimal lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is peppery (peppercorns), with a bit of added spice, and some sort of tartness. It doesn’t smelly like yeast funk, but there is a weirdness in there that I just can’t seem to put my finger on.

T: It starts out smooth with a lot of fresh cracked pepper to start. As is moves towards the middle of the beer, I get quick brine like tartness, and then I get a bit of spice towards the finish. I reminds me of a Bloody Mary.

M: Medium bodied beer. It’s clean to start, the flavors transition nicely, and the heat lingers for a bit. I’m a big fan of the pepper notes, but there is something about this beer that makes it hard to drink. It’s that acidic bite.

O: This beer isn’t terrible, but it’s just not my thing. I love the pepper in it, but that funk/tart/whatever it is that is in there is a bit off-putting. I’m happy to have tried this, especially blind, but I don’t think I’d want to drink it again.

My guess: Some wacky hybrid Bloody Mary beer.

The reveal: Short’s Bloody Beer. (Specialty beer fermented with roma tomatoes and spiced with tellicherry peppercorns, celery seed, fresh horseradish and dill.)

Damn. No joke. Short’s nailed it. This beer tastes just like a Bloody Mary. Haha.

10-21-2012 16:23:19 | More by trxxpaxxs
otto251068

Tennessee

3.23/5  rDev -4.4%

12 oz bottle poured into a Rochefort chalice.

Appearance: Beer pours a golden color till the glass fills up a little more, then turns into a dark pumpkin color. Plenty of small bits of sediment at the bottom of this bottle which stay suspended. This beer is pretty transparent. Tiniest bit of head after a hard pour which dissipates after a few seconds. No lacing.

Smell: Going to take my time with this one. Strong odor of fresh stewed tomatoes. Celery, fresh ground black pepper. Plenty of herbal notes.

Taste: Lots of tomatoes right off the bat. A warm and lively flavor. Wow, impressive. Plenty of herbal spices, dill pickles, finishes with a nice dash of pepper, a little alcohol. I don't get any heat, no horseradish or tabasco. Good taste though.

Mouthfeel: Light body with a medium carbonation. Taste lingers for a while. There is significant sour taste in the back of my throat that I'm not crazy about.

Overall: Same as a bloody mary for me. One and done. It would be tough for me to drink two of these. Gotta give it up to Shorts though for always coming up with new beers that push the envelope and our taste buds.

10-30-2010 22:51:10 | More by otto251068
Floydster

3.25/5  rDev -3.8%

25.6 ounce bottle acquired in a trade with OHLRangers, thanks to Ed for giving me a chance to try this brew, split among three friends last night, I had about a six to seven ounce serving, 8 of 13, #366 of 864, poured into a oversized wine glass

A-Murky mix between medium orange and gold with reddish tint in the light, dark red sediment floating around as well, 3/4 inch foamy off white head that held its ground, decent retention, not much lacing
S-Lots of pickles, definitely horse radish, tomatoes were not as strong in the aroma as they were in the taste, also some skunkiness, soft malt, and
T-First taste was strong black pepper, then faded into some tomatoes that were pretty citric and not as thick as expected, then horse radish absolutely dominated the finish, the pickles later on were more relish-like than anything and not very strong tasting, somebody at the table mentioned they tasted something similar to tuna out of a can and then I kind of did as well, tasted more like food than any other beer I have had, got more peppery and reliant on the radish as the time went on, never really tasted any celery flavors, definitely a lager in the backbone though and thankfully the veggies were not too overpowering
M-Carbonation seemed just right for this brew, medium bodied, mouthfeel was all over the place but was mostly spicy, also tangy and peppery though, taste did not linger as long as you might think
D-Could just finish what I poured in my glass, taste just gets tiresome when you are not a big fan of any of the vegetables that went into this, although judging by what it was, it was decent, smooth and more on the lager side than it seems, not quite a session beer though, and the ABV is rather high but hidden well

First beer I have tried from Short's and it was an interesting one to say the least, very skeptical about this one after I read the description on the bottle, went well with chips and salsa because the tomatoes just balanced each other out, I am not a fan of Bloody Marys by any means but this was much better than expected, two of the people I shared this with seemed to enjoy it even more than I did, probably will not drink again because of its limited availablity, but that is okay because this was something I am fine with trying once, worth seeking out a bottle of this specialty beer

09-28-2008 16:31:54 | More by Floydster
JohnGalt1

Idaho

3.3/5  rDev -2.4%

I'm hoping kbeals is my new Short's connection.. Kevin hooked me up!! 750 bottle shared with inflatablechair, ditmier, and buckeyeboy.. Thanks for hosting Eric.

Poured into my small La Trappe goblet.. golden/amber brew with a descent head with every swirl..

Nose is sorta nasty at first.... takes a bit of coaxing to put my face back on the glass.. peppercorns and celery seed sorta jump out at first.. I guess I'm getting "tomato"... but it's sooo damn weird... I'm having a time with it.

Flavor really is pretty interesting.. more beer than "Bloody Mary"... but the individual components really are there... I actually get the horseradish on the palate.. but a bit of gathering peppercorn and sorta sweet tomato comes in the middle.. celery seed is there and adds a nice bit of spiciness that is very unique.

I'm soooo torn over this one... I dig it for sure.. but I would NEVER be able to finish an entire bottle..

Thanks again Kevin.. interesting... I want a fresh bottle for sure if they ever make it again.

08-18-2009 01:37:21 | More by JohnGalt1