Bloody Beer - Short's Brewing Company

Bloody BeerBloody Beer

Short's Brewing Company visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  8.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hoppymeal on 09-06-2007)

Slay40, May 10, 2013
1.38/5  rDev -59.2%

This was brought out by Normyk at his house while we were all over there for a tasting on 3/5/11. I must say, I probably was the only one super excited to try this one. I guess my curiosity is much more morbid than most. For the record, I absolutely HATE bloody marys. A good early morning cocktail? Yeah, if you like to start your day with nausea.

About 3 oz into a sampler tulip. Trust me 3 oz was enough to review this one. Its a sipper, but for unique reasons.

A- Others commented on the floaties in this beer. Floaty might be a different term than I would use because it doesnt look like some bottle conditioning yeast got mixed into the pour. Its more like "sporadic haziness". This beer would be clear if it werent for tons of grains of what looks like salt suspended in its body. Maybe this beer comes pre-garnished with undissolved celery salt. I dunno, its bizarre.

S- Geeeze. Another instance where my nose is telling my brain to avoid consuming this stuff at all costs. True, it does smell a lot like a bloody mary, but its just a shame that bloody marys smell like the trash can outside a vegan's house. Plenty of Tabasco, which is fine, but then there comes a time and a place for Tabasco. There is also lots of dill. Pickles, man! Tomato juice or V-8 with lots of salt and pepper.

T- Before my brain shifts into fight-or-flight mode, I take a sip. The first one was too quick, ripping-off-a-band-aid style. I slowed it down, thinking of all the starving children in the world. Some mixed vegetable juice builds the body of the flavor, a rancid pedestal on which pickle juice flavoring stands. The dill accosts my palate like a soccer hooligan who's drunk on fermented trash.

M- Ironically I found the mouthfeel to be the worst part of this beer. The whole time drinking this I was still able to tell myself that they reached their goal of making a bloody mary beer, despite how gross it is.
But what would a gross beer be without a thoroughly gross mouthfeel? This one brings it. People talk about slick mouthfeels, this one is SLIMY. For a comparison, go deep inside an underground cave and just start licking the walls, paying close attention to the big, sweaty stalactites hanging from the ceiling.

D- What the dill were they thinking!?

MbpBugeye, Mar 07, 2011
1.45/5  rDev -57.1%

12oz. bottle poured into a nonic. Thanks to steebo777 for the bottle!

(A)- Pours a clear orange color that produced some white bubbles.

(S)- This smells like a vegetable and herb garden put-together. Earthy tomatoes and spices. Very weird but interesting.

(T)- Very veggie oriented with a very heavy dose of dill and pepper spice.

(M)- A good carbonation level. This is just plain weird. Its like they mashed up a veggie and herb garden and brewed it with a really simple base beer. Bitter, spicy, and tomatoes.

(D)- If someone can enjoy this, then all the power to you, however this for me almost activates a gag reflex. I realize this was made to try and depict a bloody mary, but at the same time you REALLY gotta like dill because it is really overwhelming in this.

sweemzander, Mar 11, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -55.6%

larebear, Dec 10, 2012
1.5/5  rDev -55.6%

senorscientist, Jan 30, 2012
1.75/5  rDev -48.2%

JDizzle, Apr 21, 2013
1.8/5  rDev -46.7%

This 12oz bottle was more than enough to sustain the appetite of the 12 or so we had at our tasting. Shared by Normyk.

This was, and currently still is, the only Shorts beer I have ever had. At the time I was pumped to try it after all I have heard about the strange concoctions that this brewery comes up with. I had never heard of this one though... interesting premise, but a bloody mary beer? I have to admit I had some reservations.

A golden color with large white soap bubbles for head. The color wasn't so much 'off' as it just didn't seem appropriate for what this beer was trying to achieve. Thinking back on it, Shorts should have made the base beer a red ale or something.

Smelled like watery V8 and slightly hoppy salsa. We're definitely off to a good start now! There's a little horseradish in the nose as well. It certainly does smell like there's some tomato and spice in there. Unappetizing for a beer, for sure.

The taste had a lot of tomato character. Way too hoppy for what was intended. The horseradish becomes really pronounced and makes for a peppery flavor with a little hot kick to it. Why is the abv nearly 9%? It isn't helping things.

The mouthfeel seemed a little gritty, despite the apparent clarity of the brew.

I guess for what was intended this delivers on at least some points. But I could barely stomach the 3oz pour I had. And I really enjoy a good bloody mary sometimes.

Spider889, Apr 16, 2011

freehafe, Feb 09, 2012

Acuity, Dec 24, 2011

avaldivia, Dec 23, 2011

DonFrap, Jul 10, 2013

TypsiYpsi, Apr 14, 2014
2.03/5  rDev -39.9%

Pours very orange red with a small head, and average lacing. Average carbonation with a sweet spicy smell of celery and dill. Tastes bitter and spicy...like the kitchen floor an Italian restaurant. This is strange and tastes like thanksgiving turkey stuffing. Best use maybe for cooking???

ATLbeerDog, May 04, 2008
2.2/5  rDev -34.9%

Pours a darkish copper-orange color with a thick white head, decent lacing. The nose is very interesting, and actually smells pretty good. Loaded with massive peppercorn aroma, dill, basil, roasted tomato and peppers. Doesn't smell much like a beer, more like a meal. Very intriguing. The taste... Full on tomato juice. Heavy, heavy, HEAVY tomato juice. Peppercorns are also heavy, but I feel it's mostly a perception thing since they are so heavy in the aroma. Picking up a very, very faint hint or horseradish spice at the start, dill seasoning and leafy celery comes in midway through, along with an overpowering sweetness, most likely from the tomatoes. There's also a massive saltiness to this beer, almost tastes like you're taking a swig of brine. Medium body, overall low carbonation.

I commend Short's for their crazy experimental brew. I wasn't a fan of this one, but I don't love Bloody Mary's to begin with, so maybe that's the problem. I was expecting a beer with some Bloody Mary hints and tones. Rather this was like a Bloody Mary with almost no hint of beer. And even for a Bloody Mary, the tomato juice aspect was a bit overpowering. I respect the effort, but personally, this one was difficult to finish.

tectactoe, Oct 25, 2012

md655321, Apr 27, 2014

tommy5, Aug 29, 2013

ltltony, Jan 28, 2014
2.3/5  rDev -32%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Right away, I'll say I like this beer far less than I'm indicating with the scores.

Appearance: Pours with basically no head, and no lacing. Extremely hazy orange color.

Smell: Actually smells pretty good. Smells mostly like a "normal" beer, but with a bit of pepper and maybe even the dill in the aroma as well.

Taste/feel: This is odd to me. Initially, I was actually surprised. I liked it. Then after about a third of the bottle, I just had had enough. I really think it was the aftertaste that got me. When you first sip it, it's great. As a pickle brine lover (it's sort of a sick fetish, really), this beer made my mouth water when I first took a sip. Nice and sour with the dill. The taste as it sits on your tongue is a lot like V8 juice, which I don't love, but I can live with. The after taste though... I'm not sure what it was. I think it was because to me it tasted like raw tomatoes, and I just hate tomatoes (Despite loving tomato soup and ketchup). The feel makes this one super drinkable if you're a fan of the style. The alcohol is also extremely well hidden, as I wouldn't have guessed the ABV was so high.

Basically, my review doesn't help anybody who's not too high on tomatoes. If you like V8 juice AND pickles, you should really enjoy this beer. For me, I only like pickles. Needless to say, this unfortunately resulted in a drainpour after a few sips into the glass.

Alextricity, Oct 12, 2012
2.35/5  rDev -30.5%

Got this as an extra in a recent trade. Poured into a mini pint.

A - Pours pale yellow, with some red accents mixed in, with little to no head leaving no lacing down the glass.

S - Some course ground black pepper and horseradish heat up front mix with the tomato's, a good amount of them, to make it seem like a bloody mary. I would say it smells closer to a 50/50 mix of beer and bloody mary.

T - Well that was about as good as I thought it would be. Plenty of tomato pulp and skins, spicy black pepper and horseradish, and some dill and other herbs. This one really did a number on my pallet. I am not a fan of this one.

M - Medium light body with heavy, viscous, flavors; moderate carbonation. The over the top flavors wore my pallet down quite quickly.

D - One and done. I was not a fan. I love pizza and bloody mary's but this one really didn't do it for me. I still wanna try some of the other short's beers before I pass judgement on them but this was not a good start.

orangesol, Feb 03, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

I think this may be the absolutely worst beer I have ever had (other than a failed home brew perhaps). Sure, this was a specialty beer, and I knew that when I bought it. I wasn't expecting too much, but thought it would be better than it was. The appearance, smell, mouthfeel and even the initial taste was ok. I could smell the tomatoes, and there was a definite Bloody Mary flavor in the beginning. But the aftertaste...argh! I couldn't get rid of it. It was sour, almost rotten tasting.

Some of you may be thinking that I don't like bloody Mary's or don't know what a good Bloody Mary taste like. Trust me, I know my bloody Mary's!

Ok, perhaps I got a bad bottle....possible, particularly since others liked it, but I don't think I am going to risk trying it again.

MrBluto, Oct 12, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -26.6%

12oz bottle received from jpmclaug in a recent trade. Poured into a Brooklyn snifter. This beer scares me a bit...not much of a bloody mary fan....so - deep breath, and let's give it a try.

A - Pours with major particlulate in the body with spoils a bit an otherwise pretty red/orangey light amber color. A thin collar surrounds the edge of the glass although nothing resembling a head ever formed on top of this beer.

S - An odd combination of herbs/spices...I pick up black pepper and celery most of all, but the tomatoes certainly can't be ignored...and maybe just got this from reading the label, but I also can detect a bit of horseradish in there too. Not much can be said for finding any typical beer aromas here.

T - Buttery, celery, tomato juice, pepper, a bit of malt underneath all of this. Can't say this is much of a surprise, given the name and the stated ingredients. A noticeable horseradish tingle/burn? felt on the back of the throat. I'm trying hard to give this a shot, but it really isn't hitting me at all...as I said, not a bloody mary lover at all though.

M - Medium bodied with medium carbonation. Loaded with flavors that I'm not accustomed to having in beer, or any other beverage (mostly by choice as I typically stay away from the vegetable based juices/drinks). Horseradish tingle into the aftertaste.

D - Well, I'm pretty sure that I won't be coming back to this one again. I definitely appreciate the unique effort put forth on this one and also the opportunity to give it a shot. Suffice to say, this isn't up my alley at all. I'm not the best judge of this given my flavor preferences, so take this review with a grain of salt.

portia99, Jan 07, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -26%

Hazy apricot color with a white head that quickly dissipates. Smell of tomato paste, celery, radish, and some other spice I can't quite pick out. Taste is much of the same, but I also get a bit of cracked peppercorn that adds a bit of a bite to it. Body is light and carbonation is medium. Not a big fan of this beer.

badbeer, May 23, 2008